Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why Each Life Stage Is Important

Prink34320Prink34320 Posts: 5,078 Member
I decided to make this thread since I see so many people who care about the life stages and also allot of people who don't really understand how each life stage is important, so everyone please share your reasons for why each life stage is important to you, feel free to even include new ones you think should be added to the game!

Here I go:

Baby - this is the beginning of life, it's when unbreakable bonds are first formed and when we begin to know who our family members are.

Toddler(Bring em back!) - this is one of the most important life stages, it's when we first learn to communicate to others, to walk, to read, to write, to perform basic human actions and interactions, a crucial stage in life where we learn skills we will use every day of our lives.

Child - this is when we start to make some of our best friends, when we begin to dream and imagine, when we start craving for our futures and careers and use our creativity the most, a care-free life stage where we get to do so many enjoyable things with little worry and enjoy the time we spend with those closest to us. This is usually the age some of us experience getting bullied and when we usually tell people off.

Tween(Add em!) - this is around the time we have our first crushes, getting near to high school our grades begin to impact our future, some of us go through our worst days during these years as a Tween (- at least I did), it's really when we begin to change and start seeing things in different perspectives. Many of us begin to develop acne and have do nothing days.

Teenager - this is preparation for adulthood, we are in our last years of high school and our grades will impact our futures, we start to mature and fall in love with people, our relationships with some people, even those once close to us, begins to decay, we start to realise who our true friends and we start contemplating on our lives and worry about our futures but also get excited for our futures and when we can promise a life together with our other half. This is the last chance to change what you want to about yourself or your life before you become an adult. Some of us experience allot of... new things during this stage in life... ;) This is around the time some of us experience our worst bullies - ourselves. Some of us get really self-conscious at this stage and try to do whatever we can to impress people or really to impress ourselves.

Young Adult - our first steps into adulthood, this is when we truly begin our lives, after years of preparation, we get into our first careers and some don't end well, we go off to college/university and study to get degrees to ensure good futures and that we're applicable for certain jobs(unlike these Doctors in The Sims 4 Get To Work...), ring those wedding bells since it's time for some of us to start a family and have those first tries for a son or daughter, for some of us we're still deciding of what we could do about our lives but sometimes it just takes guidance from those friends you made :)

Adult - We're in the middle of adulthood, this is really when the outcomes of our past decisions come into play, depending on our grades, our careers and our relationships we could really end up anywhere. It's time for those mid-life crisis, where you get barely any sleep cause the children keep you up at night, your beloved other starts to change, either positively or negatively. It's time to go on adventures before you get to your last years, time to finish up that bucket list and remember to tell everyone how much they mean to you and your life. This is usually when people lose their parents, the people who helped them grow up and it's time to let go of the past but keep all the memories.

Elder - Here's the last stop in the game of life, we're nearing our death and some people will be unable to do things from their past. We become more care free and since we're near the end it's time to start being honest to everyone, it's our last chance to live our lives and live the life we wanted to, it's time to enjoy our last moments with the people we call our beloved and it's our last chance to prank people and then make a daring escape. This is when we see our offspring create more offspring and we become bonded to newer generations and what we do in the last days of our lives may not longer affect us but it can affect those whose lives you've touched.

P.S. There's no specific age we get bullied, people are bullied regardless of age but usually just for their individuality. - for those who wanted me to add even though life isn't really about those who put you down. People also face the worst years of their life in different stages, some in all stages, but I don't think we're really living until we beat those bad moments and find some happiness - I really think big events should occur in The Sims 4 that change our Sims emotionally.

Thanks for taking the time to read this! Enjoy your day while I watch the rest of Glee! :3
Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.
Post edited by Prink34320 on

Comments

• Options
    kovu0207kovu0207 Posts: 6,209 Member
    Very well explained, and you're right. Each stage is equally important, especially when making a truly wonderful and immersive life simulation game. :)
    kovu0207ver2.jpg
  • Options
    mikmakermikmaker Posts: 2,145 Member
    I agree accept for tweens. They will be the same as kids. I can already see that coming.
  • Options
    mikmaker wrote: »
    I agree accept for tweens. They will be the same as kids. I can already see that coming.

Well I figure why not? You know Tweens could be special in terms of height, clothing and interactions. New interaction could be Romance but you know childish romance lol I guess I just want more life stages but come to think of it, Young Adults and Adults in The Sims 4 are barely different :p
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.
  • Options
    NOVEMBER_11SARAHNOVEMBER_11SARAH Posts: 767 Member
    I agree with this, thank you for putting pre-teen there, I think its such an important life stage that needs to be added.
    New Zealand!!!
    I have dyslexia so my grammar sucks.
    Sim Story:
    https://smfblog11.wordpress.com/
    Simblr:
    http://thestrangenessofstrangetown.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    Prink34320 wrote: »

Well I figure why not? You know Tweens could be special in terms of height, clothing and interactions. New interaction could be Romance but you know childish romance lol I guess I just want more life stages but come to think of it, Young Adults and Adults in The Sims 4 are barely different :p
    A and YA are the same in this game.
    BTW they didn't even set a smaller height for the teens.
    adding appart clothes and romantic interactions won't make them tweens, but teens.
    Teens in this game already are taller kids + appart jobs, clothes and romantic interactions, which some of them are also childish.
  • Options

I agree, for me the first few years of being a teenager were very different from say 14 years onwards, small things seemed like a huge deal, like do I hold this boys hand, do my friends like me, not to mention moving to a new school seemed like the end of the world. I think it would be nice to have sims who reflected this. For me the teens we have in sims 4 seem too old to be worrying about things like this, in fact they barely feel like teenagers at all, it almost seems like we go from a sim child of about 7 to a sim teenager who is about 17.
    kovu0207ver2.jpg
  • Options
    instead of adding tweens, why not improve teens.
  • Options

They could always do both, make everyone happy :) but it is EA...
  • Options

I suppose they could improve teens, but no matter what they do they will always remain at the height they are now. Also adding tweens might help TS4 along, as it would offer something we've never had before in the sims series, it might encourage more people to jump in and try it out. :)
    kovu0207ver2.jpg
  • Options

They could always do both, make everyone happy :) but it is EA...

right it's EA and they would choose to improve teens, because they already exist
  • Options
    kovu0207 wrote: »

I suppose they could improve teens, but no matter what they do they will always remain at the height they are now. Also adding tweens might help TS4 along, as it would offer something we've never had before in the sims series, it might encourage more people to jump in and try it out. :)

There were preteens in the Sims free play.
    Btw Toddlers comes first then preteens. I don't want them yo focus on tweens, because now the only thing I want them to focus on are toddlers
  • Options

Btw Toddlers comes first then preteens. I don't want them yo focus on tweens, because now the only thing I want them to focus on are toddlers

I didn't know about pre-teens in the sims freeplay, but I was referring to the pc game when I mentioned the sims series. :) I don't disagree with you that toddlers are more important, and I too would love to see them back. However, it would also be nice to experience a new lifestage. :)
    kovu0207ver2.jpg
  • Options
    gothprincess4evergothprincess4ever Posts: 2,130 Member
    I almost cried while reading your post, @Prink34320 , you explained everything so 🐸🐸🐸🐸 well and I realized once more how much I've missed the Toddler life stage. Also, Tweens would be a great idea as well. I don't think EA listens to us so much though. Let's hope we'll see Toddlers some time in the future, but as time passes, I find it more and more impossible. :/
  • Options
    I almost cried while reading your post, @Prink34320 , you explained everything so 🐸🐸🐸🐸 well and I realized once more how much I've missed the Toddler life stage. Also, Tweens would be a great idea as well. I don't think EA listens to us so much though. Let's hope we'll see Toddlers some time in the future, but as time passes, I find it more and more impossible. :/

To be honest, I didn't realise how much I missed Toddlers until I saw a video on Youtube about the life of a Sim and it made me think lol
  • Options
    SenbreSenbre Posts: 997 Member
    edited April 2015
    t hat's too much work for them, beloved sims 1 only had adult and children and object baby #TooHardAndExpensive #OverWorked #BackToRoots
  • Options
    mwdonohuemwdonohue Posts: 3,307 Member

Because EA's definition of teen is in the 16-19 range. Child is 7-15 That is a pretty big gap. Baby is 1-6. Again. That is too big of a gap. Tweens would solve the gap between child and teen which would make the game more realistic and enjoyable.
  • Options
    SenbreSenbre Posts: 997 Member
    edited April 2015
    @mwdonohue wrote: »

Because EA's definition of teen is in the 16-19 range. Child is 7-15 That is a pretty big gap. Baby is 1-6. Again. That is too big of a gap. Tweens would solve the gap between child and teen which would make the game more realistic and enjoyable.
    Would you like a pre-teen life stage that is same height as children? ;) #overnutrition
  • Options
    Senbre wrote: »
    @mwdonohue wrote: »

Would you like a pre-teen life stage that is same height as children? ;) #overnutrition

Sims should have the right of diversity! I want midgets and freakishly tall people to feel accepted in my The Sims Universe!
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    edited April 2015

Preteens were a replacement for children, not a transition state between children and teens.

I personally don't see what can be done to make preteens feel separate from children and teens. I know the teens in this game are adults with a different name, but I'd rather have a fix to their redundancy than packaging an actual teen stage as "preteen" and keeping the weird adult "teens."
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,676 Member
    Elder - Here's the last stop in the game of life, we're nearing our death and some people will be unable to do things from their past. We become more care free and since we're near the end it's time to start being honest to everyone, it's our last chance to live our lives and live the life we wanted to, it's time to enjoy our last moments with the people we call our beloved and it's our last chance to prank people and then make a daring escape. This is when we see our offspring create more offspring and we become bonded to newer generations and what we do in the last days of our lives may not longer affect us but it can affect those whose lives you've touched.

I hope you don't mind, rather than hit quote just to delete most of your post, I simply copied and pasted the part that stood out to me. I'm very nearly in this age bracket. I'm not looking toward death, quite frankly, although I came dangerously close to it nearly six years ago, now. I just began a new decade last Sunday. I do find myself emboldened with age, inasmuch, as I don't necessarily mince my words anymore. I do (and always have) tried to tell the truth. And, yes, I'm trying to take better care of my Soul, now that I'm in these later years. I enjoy being able to do pretty much what I darned well please, but it took years to get to this level of comfort. I'm finally at east in my own skin.

Pretty much you've nailed it.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    Well, first they need to take out the men getting pregnant thing. It is unnatural and raises the rating for this game above "T" for teen. It should now be rated "M" for mature.
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    edited April 2015
    They've ruined the lifestages. This is no longer a life simulator. It's so far removed, it's unrecognizable in essence.

Every stage of life is important. At this point, I was hoping that we would have dynamic aging. That the sim would grow a bit each night, learn new things, and have a few new interactions over their lives. I really had high hopes for this game and high hopes that they would bring life back into our sims. They strayed so far in the opposite direction that hoping to hope is not even possible anymore.

Here is what I would like:

Newborns - Detach them from the cradle. Parents and siblings need to interact with them. They are precious and they need to form a bond with the family. They should have more interactions. Let us change their clothes, give them their first bath and make a big deal out of it. We should be able to enjoy some of the newborn milestones like rolling over, holding their own head up, cooing and laughing for the first time. Those are big deal interactions to anyone who has ever has a child.

I would like a stage between newborn and toddler. Call it the baby stage. I'd like to see them learning to sit and crawl. Learning to use motor skills to grab toys and food. I want to see mom and dad feeding them in a high chair. See them go from sitting in a baby tub to sitting in the big bath splashing around. See them playing peekaboo and dancing as their parents or siblings sing to them or dancing to their music toys. I want this stage to be where they learn to walk and talk, too. I would love it if you could teach them these skills and certain ones would impact their learning as they get older. For example, a baby who focuses on motor skill will gain athletic skill easier or a baby who focuses on music will gain creativity easier.

Toddlers in the game are supposed to span a large age range so instead of learning to walk and talk, I would rather they are a little older. I would like them to have lots more interactions with each other and all ages. This is where they learn logic and motor skills. They should have interactions like learning the alphabet, count to 20, jump on things, climb on things, walk up and down the stairs on their own, learn to take baths or showers on their own, learn jokes, tell jokes, build blocks, play with older kid toys, go to preschool, run around with other kids, be more social or shy, etc. This is a great stage in life. Kids this age already have their own personalities. They have likes and dislikes. They should definitely get more than one trait or personality type. I'd love it if they could grow just a little each night. Not huge changes, but maybe grown a bit as they reach milestones. I'd like them to look like they go from about 2-5 years old.

Children - This stage should span 6-12 years old. The kids should be very similar to the children we get now, but I think that they should require much more help from their parents and older siblings. They should require help with their homework when they first age up and if they don't get it, then they will perform poorly in school until they do get it. They should have interactions like learning to cook, learning to study, wanting to play outside all the time, playing with electronics, or asking permission to stay up late. They should want to watch a scary movie and then get scared and not be able to sleep. They should want to visit friends or invite friends over or have sleepovers. They should leave their clothes lying on the floor or make messes wherever they go and not clean up after themselves. (So if you have kids in the house, your house gets messier faster.) And we should be able to correct behavior of toddlers and children. And that will affect them for the rest of their sim lives. Like if you never discipline your children, then they might be very naturally mischievous compared to a sim that was brought up better.

Preteens - I want this stage, mostly for the visual effect. But I would love a stage that is part way between playing with toys and wanting to do older things with their friends. A stage where it is very simple to get embarrassed by anything negative that happens and acting overly dramatic about everything is an accepted quality. They are learning to fit into the crowd and are just finding their personal style. They form groups of like-minded friends and make fun of others who don't fit in with them. I'd love to see this stage really get playful with the boredom emotion. LOL. I'd love it if they decide they want to play with their younger sibling and quickly get bored. Or get bored and fidgety when talking to their parents. They want their privacy, but like to snoop in other people's belongings. They can get mad if they catch their parents looking through their things.

Teens - I still want to see a difference between them and adults. They should want to go out with friends more often. They should focus on school work and their jobs. (I wish we could have separate bank accounts.) They should have some goals like getting a license and buying a car. They should want to impress girls or boys. They should be going on their first dates, going to their first unchaperoned parties, making out sucky face style, ignoring school and focusing on partying, preparing for college and adulthood, or turning into slobs or lowlifes. I'd love to see this stage be so much harder to control. I'd actually love it if they were so strong willed that they didn't even want to listen to my commands (if they didn't have a proper upbringing). LOL. But I know most people don't play like me, but the option would be cool.

Young Adults - This spans the 20's. It should be different for every sim. Sims who settle down early should be more responsible right off the bat. But they should have to make some choices. They should have to choose between raising their families and focusing on their careers. For example, they don't have enough time to help with homework and do career related goals so it would take more time or they could just ignore their children with consequences for the kids. YAs that take their time getting into relationships can focus on their careers, friends, and partying. They could have a lot more free time than their counterparts, but feel lonely sometimes. They could want to save up money and open a business or manipulate or seduce their bosses for a promotion. They might become serial daters and barhoppers. I think there is a lot more that can be done with this age than ever before. I, of course, want them to bring back university, but I also want a college that is in the same world. Just go to classes instead of work. Or even work during the day and go to night school.

Adults - I'd like them to be much more mature than YAs. They should have it together with family and career. By then, they made their life choices and they know where they are headed. The kids are teens by then and they have more time to focus on themselves. They should want to do more things with friends and have more fun in their own lives. They should want to travel and take their kids on vacations (and have enough funds to do so). If they are just starting out with their families then they should have a much better grasp on raising the little ones, but maybe have a harder time with the older ages because they don't know what's popular among teens. They should want to pay off their bills and save for retirement, be more interested in politics and world events, find their own hobbies, enjoy their spouses or find new love interests, have midlife crises, and want to buy new things they don't necessarily need.

Elders - Bless the sims that make it to this stage. After a lifetime of work, skill, teach, learn, it's about time they got to just enjoy life. They should want to hang out with their families, spoil the heck out of their grandkids, slip some bills into their piggy banks, travel, hang out at bookshops and coffee houses, exercise or go for morning walks, enjoy reading and going to the park, offer to babysit the grandkids or invite them to spend the night. They should really find hobbies that they enjoy like dancing or golfing. They should want to max their skills. They should have some regrets, but be at peace with most of their choices. Maybe seek out sims to apologize if they did something really bad. I'd also like for them to have better deaths, especially if it is natural. I'd love it if their families came over to visit before they died or they could create a will to be passed on like who gets the house and give a portion of their funds to their kids and grandkids. I think elders are the most glorious. I wish they had more to do that was elder specific.
  • Options
    Mstybl95 wrote: »

Newborns - Detach them from the cradle. Parents and siblings need to interact with them. They are precious and they need to form a bond with the family.

Oh I so agree with this, we spent the entire lifespan of Sims 3 begging EA to give babies legs, yet to get these legs we had to lose all playability with the babies by having them confined to a bassinet. :(

I guess that's EA logic for you.

In their minds they can say they listened to the fans, and gave them what they asked for.
    kovu0207ver2.jpg
  • Options
    LittleMinxUndrLittleMinxUndr Posts: 4,196 Member

I hope you don't mind, rather than hit quote just to delete most of your post, I simply copied and pasted the part that stood out to me. I'm very nearly in this age bracket. I'm not looking toward death, quite frankly, although I came dangerously close to it nearly six years ago, now. I just began a new decade last Sunday. I do find myself emboldened with age, inasmuch, as I don't necessarily mince my words anymore. I do (and always have) tried to tell the truth. And, yes, I'm trying to take better care of my Soul, now that I'm in these later years. I enjoy being able to do pretty much what I darned well please, but it took years to get to this level of comfort. I'm finally at east in my own skin.

Pretty much you've nailed it.

Meh, being a senior citizen didn't do much for teenangster, I mean -ager, that's my brain. I see a fence and my brain will happily challenge me to jump it. Nevermind that I'm untreatably ill. I'm a bit jealous of all my peers that have this revelations about life and how to stand betwixt it. My brain just goes 'Hellooooo more of the same!'
    I'm eerily happy with that.

'Becoming care-free and do those last chance buckett list things' is something that never crossed my mind. Early on I decided to be care-free now rather than later. (Much having to do with leaving my birth-country where homosexuality is illegal by law.) People say that's what's killing me now is directly due to my lifestyle, but I don't know. Things happen because they happen. If I had waited with being carefree, it would've been too late now. Same goes with 'caring for my soul' now. It has nothing to complain about, I saw to that already and when given half the chance I'll add a few notches to the lamppost before my time is done.

Meh, I agree though Glacticgal's write up of the elderstage is pretty neat, but isn't it all how you play them? If you use them as designated babysitters, I can surely understand why people would find them lacking.

• Options
    Anemone7Anemone7 Posts: 3,950 Member
    InfraGreen wrote: »

Preteens were a replacement for children, not a transition state between children and teens.

I personally don't see what can be done to make preteens feel separate from children and teens. I know the teens in this game are adults with a different name, but I'd rather have a fix to their redundancy than packaging an actual teen stage as "preteen" and keeping the weird adult "teens."

How Pre-teens could be different from TS4 teens:

-Pimples
    -puberty vocal change
    - moodlets for feeling awkward in your new body with all the growing hair (but please don't show it!)
    - crushes at first sight, but not being able to properly express them
    - interactions like stealing your bigger sisters lipstick or something like that
    - inappropriate jokes, that only other pre-teens find funny
    - make-up and hairstyling fails

TS4 teens feel like 16-19 too me, that's when the most awkward phase was already over for me.