Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can We Just a Shout Out to the People at EA?

Comments

• Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited April 2015
    Negativity will creep into nearly every thread because the forum is conserved of a lot of anti-TS4 players. And, tbh, that's only EA's fault for alienating multiple play styles/preferences in large numbers.

@OP and everyone defending them: One should be smarter than to create a thread asking others to thank the staff for doing their job and then to literally call TS4 "THE ULTIMATE SANDBOX GAME", let alone a sandbox game in general when TS4 has been, by the gurus themselves, not deemed a sandbox game (which, has been under CONSTANT criticism in MANY threads on the forum).

This thread honestly feels like a huge instigation attempt.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,629 Member
    edited April 2015
    Scobre wrote: »

So, since you think no one of the "Negative Nellies" call out people from "their side", why don't you call out "your side" for using terms like "Negative Nellie"? Namecalling is ok or what?

Just so you know, in my opinion, there are no sides and that is why i don't have to care for everyone who dislikes this game to behave.
    And i for once think that people coming in here and giving feedback about how they feel about this game is normal, as long as they don't start namecalling.
    I don't think it's okay to use in accusation; I was echoing another user's term in responding to them. It's a rhetorical device, but not a good enough reason. I won't do it again. Thank you for pointing it out to me.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    DarklingDarkling Posts: 6,327 Member
    I'm glad you're liking the game but threads like this always confuse me. I bought a new car last year but I didn't feel the need to sit down and write Ford a thank you note. In fact, the opposite happened and they sent me one...several, actually! LOL
    14785081519_9e388018bc_o.jpg
  • Options
    Darkling wrote: »
    I'm glad you're liking the game but threads like this always confuse me. I bought a new car last year but I didn't feel the need to sit down and write Ford a thank you note. In fact, the opposite happened and they sent me one...several, actually! LOL

I appreciate when people thank me for doing good work. It beats being told I did lousy work (which a lot of people around here seem to think it's perfectly fine to tell the developers, and often), and it beats radio silence. I generally assume that other people enjoy the pick-me-up too. I think it's nice. Maybe the world would be a better place if we told people when we appreciated their work, not only when we didn't.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member

I appreciate when people thank me for doing good work. It beats being told I did lousy work (which a lot of people around here seem to think it's perfectly fine to tell the developers, and often), and it beats radio silence. I generally assume that other people enjoy the pick-me-up too. I think it's nice. Maybe the world would be a better place if we told people when we appreciated their work, not only when we didn't.

When it comes to buying a product, I show my appreciation with my wallet. I don't necessarily have to worship at the Altar of EA to do it.

EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options

I work in the service industry so I understand the value of a "thank you" but I think the context of that "thank you" is also important.

If I'm at Starbucks and order a coffee, I'll thank the barista who served me. I won't go home and send the company an email thanking them for selling cappuccinos. If I'm at Ulta and a clerk directs me to a palette I'm looking for, I'll thank them. I'm not going to send Urban Decay a thank you note for making the Vice 3 palette. I thank companies by supporting them through my purchases.

When I'm at work I value the appreciation of my managers and co-workers above all else and I don't really expect showers of thank-yous from our customers, even though I guess it's nice to have. The fact that they are bringing us their business, and providing me with a paycheck by default, is thanks enough. I guess it's kind of an old school approach to things but I'm kind of old school, so yeah.

If this comes off as rude or whatever, that's not my intention but it is how I feel.
  • Options
    Jarsie9 wrote: »

When it comes to buying a product, I show my appreciation with my wallet. I don't necessarily have to worship at the Altar of EA to do it.

Saying thank you is not act of worship.

Honestly, what on earth is wrong with someone who isn't you saying thank you? With them adding a kind word to their dollars? Do you really think that poorly of people who like something you don't that their act requires sarcastic belittling?

• Options
    Anemone7Anemone7 Posts: 3,950 Member
    edited April 2015

So, since you think no one of the "Negative Nellies" call out people from "their side", why don't you call out "your side" for using terms like "Negative Nellie"? Namecalling is ok or what?

Just so you know, in my opinion, there are no sides and that is why i don't have to care for everyone who dislikes this game to behave.
    And i for once think that people coming in here and giving feedback about how they feel about this game is normal, as long as they don't start namecalling.
    I don't think it's okay to use in accusation; I was echoing another user's term in responding to them. It's a rhetorical device, but not a good enough reason. I won't do it again. Thank you for pointing it out to me.

No harm done. At least from what i can tell about you, you're always polite. And you are not responsible if another one who likes the game isn't, that's just what i was trying to say.
    Or @Scobre in your messed up quote XD
  • Options
    marcellala wrote: »

No harm done. At least from what i can tell about you, you're always polite. And you are not responsible if another one who likes the game isn't, that's just what i was trying to say.
    Or @Scobre in your messed up quote XD

You should have seen what the forum did to the quote *before* I edited it! Could have been worse :)
  • Options
    edited April 2015

Saying thank you is not act of worship.

Honestly, what on earth is wrong with someone who isn't you saying thank you? With them adding a kind word to their dollars? Do you really think that poorly of people who like something you don't that their act requires sarcastic belittling?

I think poorly of someone who categorically states that The Sims 4 is an upgrade from all the other games and who states that it's the ultimate sandbox game, as if it were a fact and not just their opinion...and still expects me to thank EA. For what? EA isn't a person; it's a business. They made this game to make a profit, much of which goes into the pockets of their investors and their executives; some of which goes to pay the salaries of the workers, and a little bit of which goes into game development. I don't require being told that I need to stop focusing on the lack of things in the game and that I must only think of the positives...especially when the negatives far outweigh the positives.

And yes, saying "Thank You, EA for making this wonderful game, I'm so grateful you thought of your fans"...in my opinion, is akin to worshiping at the altar of EA.

B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    Nobody said you had to thank EA for a product you don't like; in fact, nobody said anybody has to say thank you. They simply created an opportunity for people who want to do so.

An opinion doesn't have to say "in my opinion" to be obviously one; nor are you owed a personal explanation for every opinion that you disagree with.

And nobody - NOBODY - deserves to be flat-out insulted for saying something nice about someone or something.
  • Options
    Nobody said you had to thank EA for a product you don't like; in fact, nobody said anybody has to say thank you. They simply created an opportunity for people who want to do so.

An opinion doesn't have to say "in my opinion" to be obviously one; nor are you owed a personal explanation for every opinion that you disagree with.

And nobody - NOBODY - deserves to be flat-out insulted for saying something nice about someone or something.

It cuts both ways, so spare me the lecture.
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    WildSafari8WildSafari8 Posts: 55 Member
    I know I said that I wouldn't reply anymore, but I just have to say that i did not expect these reactions, LOL! Well, I guess you all are more passionate about the game than me because I honestly don't care what people say about the game. I'm really enjoying your replies... They are making me laugh! (Sorry if I sound sarcastic. I'm really not trying to be. I haven't laughed in a while, and this thread is really making me giggle.) :wink:
  • Options

It cuts both ways, so spare me the lecture.

Rest assured that when you say something nice about someone, I won't insult you.
  • Options
    ShaobunShaobun Posts: 1,155 Member
    I think poorly of someone who categorically states that The Sims 4 is an upgrade from all the other games and who states that it's the ultimate sandbox game, as if it were a fact and not just their opinion...and still expects me to thank EA.
    ...I don't require being told that I need to stop focusing on the lack of things in the game and that I must only think of the positives...especially when the negatives far outweigh the positives.

And yes, saying "Thank You, EA for making this wonderful game, I'm so grateful you thought of your fans"...in my opinion, is akin to worshiping at the altar of EA.
    Nobody is expecting you to thank EA if you aren't thankful. Nobody is holding a gun to your head and telling you that you must agree with the OP. You can facepalm and think the OP is completely insane and (more importantly) wrong. I hate it too when people state opinions like they're facts, especially when I am convinced they are wrong. This time it just doesn't matter who is right and who is wrong. If someone made a "things we'd like fixed" thread would you see that as an invitation to people who think the game is perfect to post? I don't. Just as I don't think "let's say thanks" is an invitation for people to say how much is missing. This thread isn't for you. The forum is for us all, but there are places for debating and places for other types of discussion. Not every thread needs to be a debate. Not every opinion is going to be right. Not every mind is going to be changed or depart "better informed". I would be cranky if I saw someone talking about how much they hate toddlers and families in the "family play" thread because it just doesn't belong there (in that particular thread).
    Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong. ~ Donald Porter
  • Options
    Shaobun wrote: »
    I think poorly of someone who categorically states that The Sims 4 is an upgrade from all the other games and who states that it's the ultimate sandbox game, as if it were a fact and not just their opinion...and still expects me to thank EA.
    ...I don't require being told that I need to stop focusing on the lack of things in the game and that I must only think of the positives...especially when the negatives far outweigh the positives.

Nobody is expecting you to thank EA if you aren't thankful. Nobody is holding a gun to your head and telling you that you must agree with the OP. You can facepalm and think the OP is completely insane and (more importantly) wrong. I hate it too when people state opinions like they're facts, especially when I am convinced they are wrong. This time it just doesn't matter who is right and who is wrong. If someone made a "things we'd like fixed" thread would you see that as an invitation to people who think the game is perfect to post? I don't. Just as I don't think "let's say thanks" is an invitation for people to say how much is missing. This thread isn't for you. The forum is for us all, but there are places for debating and places for other types of discussion. Not every thread needs to be a debate. Not every opinion is going to be right. Not every mind is going to be changed or depart "better informed". I would be cranky if I saw someone talking about how much they hate toddlers and families in the "family play" thread because it just doesn't belong there (in that particular thread).

Speaking of the "family play" thread, Sparkfairy has had to lay down the law on more than one occasion to certain players who insisted on lecturing thread participants on how wrong they were and being condescending and belittling their opinion over the lack of toddlers. So, your point is totally useless, because believe me, I've seen plenty of posters here who regularly go into a negative thread and belittle and condescend other players for not liking the game or say that they're playing it wrong. I call those people "Keeper of the Flame" and "The Voice of Reason" because, inevitably, their whole tone is arrogant and condescending towards those players who don't like the way The Sims 4 team has changed the game play style.
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    I know I said that I wouldn't reply anymore, but I just have to say that i did not expect these reactions, LOL! Well, I guess you all are more passionate about the game than me because I honestly don't care what people say about the game. I'm really enjoying your replies... They are making me laugh! (Sorry if I sound sarcastic. I'm really not trying to be. I haven't laughed in a while, and this thread is really making me giggle.) :wink:

So, basically, you've just admitted to being a troll. Nice. Glad you're enjoying the laughter, but no longer at my expense. By the way, I'm sending you a bill for providing you with hours of entertainment.

B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    MarianneSimmerMarianneSimmer Posts: 1,113 Member

Thank you. It is absurd that we have to explain and defend being kind and well-mannered.
  • Options

It's not your fault someone is disrespectful and impolite. Please, put that person on your Ignore List. You had the best idea. It was a lovely topic. Some people just want to destroy threads that have opinions different than their own. This, however, doesn't reflect the entire sim community. I hope you feel welcome and safe here among the majority of us.
  • Options

I work in the service industry so I understand the value of a "thank you" but I think the context of that "thank you" is also important.

If I'm at Starbucks and order a coffee, I'll thank the barista who served me. I won't go home and send the company an email thanking them for selling cappuccinos. If I'm at Ulta and a clerk directs me to a palette I'm looking for, I'll thank them. I'm not going to send Urban Decay a thank you note for making the Vice 3 palette. I thank companies by supporting them through my purchases.

When I'm at work I value the appreciation of my managers and co-workers above all else and I don't really expect showers of thank-yous from our customers, even though I guess it's nice to have. The fact that they are bringing us their business, and providing me with a paycheck by default, is thanks enough. I guess it's kind of an old school approach to things but I'm kind of old school, so yeah.

If this comes off as rude or whatever, that's not my intention but it is how I feel.

The person is thanking the developers, not the company.

• Options
    xMint wrote: »
    I'm going to point out that just maybe without those "Negative Nellies" you might not have gotten those free updates. Sine they were around it's hard to say if you would have or not. My guess is not as many as fast.

There is a difference in constructive criticism, which I myself have given as well, and coming into every positive thread saying things like "Yes, EA, thanks for your piece of 🐸🐸🐸🐸 game, it's saved me tons of money from not buying it because it's so 🐸🐸🐸🐸."

True.
  • Options
    xMint wrote: »
    I'm going to point out that just maybe without those "Negative Nellies" you might not have gotten those free updates. Sine they were around it's hard to say if you would have or not. My guess is not as many as fast.

There is a difference in constructive criticism, which I myself have given as well, and coming into every positive thread saying things like "Yes, EA, thanks for your piece of 🐸🐸🐸🐸 game, it's saved me tons of money from not buying it because it's so 🐸🐸🐸🐸."
    Please respect the OP and don't go OT. http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/817951/read-this-general-discussion-etiquette-updated#latest This is about the Gurus not your personal disregard for other Simmers.

Thank you.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

Yes, I know the OP was referring to the devs. I'm going to bring up another possibly unpopular point but, apparently, it's my day for rubbing people the wrong way.

I think the line between who and what the devs are perceived to be and who and what they really are has been blurred, and blurred in EA's favor. With the recent advent of the devs tweeting away on Twitter, posting on the forums and doing LiveChats, I think that people seem to see them as being somewhat removed from the entity of EA and sometimes this can lend itself to them being less likely to be criticized and more likely for them to be defended. However, they actually are EA employees first and foremost. And not just employees, but employees who came up with the "vision" for TS4 and the "direction" of TS4. Employees who basically made this game from the ground up. So in this sense, I really don't see much of a difference between the devs and EA.

Edited for clarity.
  • Options

Yes, I know the OP was referring to the devs. I'm going to bring up another possibly unpopular point but, apparently, it's my day for rubbing people the wrong way.

I think the line between who and what the devs are perceived to be and who and what they really are has been blurred, and blurred in EA's favor. With the recent advent of the devs tweeting away on Twitter, posting on the forums and doing LiveChats, I think that people seem to see them as being somewhat removed from the entity of EA and sometimes this can lend itself to them being less likely to be criticized and more likely for them to be defended. However, they actually are EA employees first and foremost. And not just employees, but employees who came up with the "vision" for TS4 and the "direction" of TS4. Employees who basically made this game from the ground up. So in this sense, I really don't see much of a difference between the devs and EA.

Edited for clarity.

I don't see how any of that:

a) Means one cannot thank someone they want to;

b) Warrants the OP's thread being completely derailed and destroyed.

If people think they have the right to call the developers lazy and incompetent (I have seen "lazy being used at least seven times today), perhaps they could leave alone the one thread that actually has a nice, positive message, without putting the OP on the spot and demanding to know WHY the OP has an opinion and feels he can express it - "how dare you have an opinion? JUSTIFY IT TO MY LIKING!"

It boils down to having good manners and being a bit more respectful to others. It's not like threads tearing EA and the developers, who are human beings, apart, are lacking in the Forum...

One could leave this Thank You thread be and be a nice read to those who are being thanked instead of vicious and hostile.
  • Options
    MzB06MzB06 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Thank you Will Wright for your genius creation of the Sims Series. I have enjoyed the many years that I played TS1 and TS2 <3 . Now that I have returned to the Sims series, I hope to one day enjoy TS4 (Side Note: I have personal opinions and other personal matters that prevent me from playing TS4 at the moment) :):)
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top