Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Official word on toddlers?

Comments

• Options
    Biggos6Biggos6 Posts: 412 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    gayars wrote: »
    IF they ever come back, and I am not at all sure they will, they will have to be patched in. Period. What happens if you share a family for instance, in the gallery, that even tho it has no toddler in it, there are those in it that have some memory or something else acquired during the toddler stage, and somebody without a toddler ep downloads it. It corrupts their game, or at the very least, glitches that family. The game is meant to have things shared via the gallery. If the toddlers do not show up across the board, it will cause enormous issues. They will be like basements. They will probably be patched in, again if they ever are, much like basements, at the same time some interrelated ep is released. A generations type ep. most likely.

Yep - it is the only way toddlers could work in the Sims 4 - via a patch and a ton of recoding. Add to that any games simmers have been playing up until that happens they can kiss goodbye so actually anyone wanting toddlers - buying any gps and eps and making nice long saves is going to be a lot of wasted time. Recoding created corruption in save games without that coding in it. I lost all my long time saves in Sims 3 after they had to recode the game and tons of store content after they released pets. So why waste money on the game now if you just will have to start all over anyway if they do get toddlers. So I decided if they never get toddlers i will be glad I never bought any eps or anything else because the game is not the game I want to play. if they do get toddlers it was another good point to have not gotten eps etc so that save games go out the door on a fast train and all the time to build up sims were wasted because you have to start over. Technically buying anything until there are toddlers is wasted, even if you don't want them.

I'm kind of squiriming here.

1. The only reason that Toddlers could be patched in is if Maxis' Marketing is smart enough to realize it is bad idea to just release them in an EP, btut hey don't HAVE to do it.
    2. Those that DO not have GTW can't have Aliens, but ALIENS can be uploaded to the Gallery. I don't know how it works, but I know it's possible, so your logic is flawed because the system that deals with people with no Aliens because they don't own the corresponding pack. I assume it's similiar on missing content (houses with Outdoor stuff, etc.)
    3. Jumping to conclusion that this would be corrupting or glitching the game is surprising, I'm pretty sure that after 15 of extensive expansion releases that Maxis/EA is prepared to deal with such scenarios, ESPECIALLY with the way Gallery works.
    4. I don't think there is need for recoding as much as there is need for new code, Because the game needs to handle interactions between all ages, as well as other resources (models, interactions, objects, gameplay etc.)
    5. I don't understand how buying any GPs or EPs is "corruptiong" anything, you add stuff in, usually people who buy these stuff "keep them installed". To quote you, you said that "buying any gps and eps and making nice long saves is going to be a lot of wasted time" makes no sense. Sure, Sims never had the best maintence system but they've done their best ('cept in SIms 3, that was atrocious) but I have maanged to keep a single file for over about 4-5 months, (October-February) without ANY issues (except bloating, which only increased loading times a tad, barely noticeable).
    6. GIVEN how Sims works and how complex it is, I don't recall a single time that the Maxis team ever told us "All saves are obselete, you MUST start a new game", this is Stranded Deep or Minecraft for that to happen, the key in most games is generations and I"m pretty sure that IF re-coding had to be done, it would be done in a way to minimalize damage (if any)
    7. I don't know why you would waste money on the game now if you will have to start all over? Why would you re-purchase your game, once you own it, that's it, you OWN it, if Toddlers WERE to come into an expansion pack, why would they affect ANYTHNIG else released all of a sudden, not in the entire history of the game has that ever been case (the EPs have almost always complimented other EPs, in Season and Pets in Sims 2, you pets could eat the snow for example, it never broke anything in the game).
    8. If Toddlers were to be added, I highly doubt that it would break all of our saves? Why would it? It makes 0% for that to happen.

If you don't like the game that's fair enough, I can understand the discomfort of the lack of toddlers, but to go out and say that adding them would make the game less playable because it would "cause glitches and errors" makes absolutely no sense.
  • Options
    LaAbbyLaAbby Posts: 3,742 Member
    MrSimmis wrote: »
    Apparently they are being worked on?

Link Please :*
  • Options
    WolfEyes wrote: »
    @Writin_Reg

EA had a prior CEO that was all about online gaming. That may have been the issue. It seems the new direction is better.

What new direction are you referring to? The one where we are treated like mushrooms, kept in the dark and fed bull hockey?

There was a rumor if not pretty much fact that Sims 4 (code name Olympus) was originally meant to be a new Online game (akin to SimCity), but given the failure of SimCity and several other factors, this was scrapped. What was left was a tighter time budget (which means omissions of key features that the devs really couldn't afford to do without delaying the game more, which, let's be honest, I dont' think would've been a great idea). But given the lack of toddlers I feel this gives them an opportunity to expand them a bit more, something I have yet to have seen in either games (Sims 2 and Sims 3 toddlers were basically the same, you taught them the basics and left them to their own because they had no gameplay elements).
  • Options
    WolfEyesWolfEyes Posts: 2,192 Member
    Biggos6 wrote: »
    @Writin_Reg

EA had a prior CEO that was all about online gaming. That may have been the issue. It seems the new direction is better.

What new direction are you referring to? The one where we are treated like mushrooms, kept in the dark and fed bull hockey?

There was a rumor if not pretty much fact that Sims 4 (code name Olympus) was originally meant to be a new Online game (akin to SimCity), but given the failure of SimCity and several other factors, this was scrapped. What was left was a tighter time budget (which means omissions of key features that the devs really couldn't afford to do without delaying the game more, which, let's be honest, I dont' think would've been a great idea). But given the lack of toddlers I feel this gives them an opportunity to expand them a bit more, something I have yet to have seen in either games (Sims 2 and Sims 3 toddlers were basically the same, you taught them the basics and left them to their own because they had no gameplay elements).

I was asking MarianneSimmer what she was referring to. Please don't answer for other people.

Sorry but you didn't tell me anything I didn't already know.
    Sims 4 Simple Elegance

152511.gif

This is the truth.
    Mitakuye oyasin.
    To all my relations, keep dancing.
    Believe or you will not see.
  • Options
    MarianneSimmerMarianneSimmer Posts: 1,113 Member
    IF they ever come back, and I am not at all sure they will, they will have to be patched in. Period. What happens if you share a family for instance, in the gallery, that even tho it has no toddler in it, there are those in it that have some memory or something else acquired during the toddler stage, and somebody without a toddler ep downloads it. It corrupts their game, or at the very least, glitches that family. The game is meant to have things shared via the gallery. If the toddlers do not show up across the board, it will cause enormous issues. They will be like basements. They will probably be patched in, again if they ever are, much like basements, at the same time some interrelated ep is released. A generations type ep. most likely.

Yep - it is the only way toddlers could work in the Sims 4 - via a patch and a ton of recoding. Add to that any games simmers have been playing up until that happens they can kiss goodbye so actually anyone wanting toddlers - buying any gps and eps and making nice long saves is going to be a lot of wasted time. Recoding created corruption in save games without that coding in it. I lost all my long time saves in Sims 3 after they had to recode the game and tons of store content after they released pets. So why waste money on the game now if you just will have to start all over anyway if they do get toddlers. So I decided if they never get toddlers i will be glad I never bought any eps or anything else because the game is not the game I want to play. if they do get toddlers it was another good point to have not gotten eps etc so that save games go out the door on a fast train and all the time to build up sims were wasted because you have to start over. Technically buying anything until there are toddlers is wasted, even if you don't want them.

1. The only reason that Toddlers could be patched in is if Maxis' Marketing is smart enough to realize it is bad idea to just release them in an EP, btut hey don't HAVE to do it.
    2. Those that DO not have GTW can't have Aliens, but ALIENS can be uploaded to the Gallery. I don't know how it works, but I know it's possible, so your logic is flawed because the system that deals with people with no Aliens because they don't own the corresponding pack. I assume it's similiar on missing content (houses with Outdoor stuff, etc.)
    3. Jumping to conclusion that this would be corrupting or glitching the game is surprising, I'm pretty sure that after 15 of extensive expansion releases that Maxis/EA is prepared to deal with such scenarios, ESPECIALLY with the way Gallery works.
    4. I don't think there is need for recoding as much as there is need for new code, Because the game needs to handle interactions between all ages, as well as other resources (models, interactions, objects, gameplay etc.)
    5. I don't understand how buying any GPs or EPs is "corruptiong" anything, you add stuff in, usually people who buy these stuff "keep them installed". To quote you, you said that "buying any gps and eps and making nice long saves is going to be a lot of wasted time" makes no sense. Sure, Sims never had the best maintence system but they've done their best ('cept in SIms 3, that was atrocious) but I have maanged to keep a single file for over about 4-5 months, (October-February) without ANY issues (except bloating, which only increased loading times a tad, barely noticeable).
    6. GIVEN how Sims works and how complex it is, I don't recall a single time that the Maxis team ever told us "All saves are obselete, you MUST start a new game", this is Stranded Deep or Minecraft for that to happen, the key in most games is generations and I"m pretty sure that IF re-coding had to be done, it would be done in a way to minimalize damage (if any)
    7. I don't know why you would waste money on the game now if you will have to start all over? Why would you re-purchase your game, once you own it, that's it, you OWN it, if Toddlers WERE to come into an expansion pack, why would they affect ANYTHNIG else released all of a sudden, not in the entire history of the game has that ever been case (the EPs have almost always complimented other EPs, in Season and Pets in Sims 2, you pets could eat the snow for example, it never broke anything in the game).
    8. If Toddlers were to be added, I highly doubt that it would break all of our saves? Why would it? It makes 0% for that to happen.

If you don't like the game that's fair enough, I can understand the discomfort of the lack of toddlers, but to go out and say that adding them would make the game less playable because it would "cause glitches and errors" makes absolutely no sense.

Thank you for clearing up some technical issues. It was insightful.
  • Options

I was asking MarianneSimmer what she was referring to. Please don't answer for other people.

Yet I see time and time again that people still don't understand how big of a contributing factor that was. You also don't need to be prudish, don't think it's against the rules to respond to questions on the forum.
  • Options
    MzB06MzB06 Posts: 1,200 Member
    @Writin_Reg JR and his Securom was a complete headache for me. There was forums that had directions on how to remove it from the game system, but I just ignored it.

Hopefully they will give us some form of information on what to expect for the future of TS4.
  • Options
    Simulator4Simulator4 Posts: 652 Member
    @Writin_Reg

Makes a note never to respond to any of your posts unless directly questioned.
  • Options
    SimGuruBChickSimGuruBChick Posts: 1,013 SimGuru (retired)
    REMINDER: Be nice and respect each other.
    SimGuruBChick
    Infinite Diversity, Infinite Combinations
    Thanks to 06bon06 for my lovely new signature pic

p8sfgs0mgkwd.jpg
  • Options

Yet I see time and time again that people still don't understand how big of a contributing factor that was. You also don't need to be prudish, don't think it's against the rules to respond to questions on the forum.

I didn't say it was. Thing is when I quote someone and ask them a question, my question is directed at that specific person. I'm pretty sure saying please is not being prudish. I'm not someone who is or claims to be easily shocked by matters relating to sex or nudity.
    Sims 4 Simple Elegance

152511.gif

This is the truth.
    Mitakuye oyasin.
  • Options
    Simulator4 wrote: »
    @Writin_Reg

Makes a note never to respond to any of your posts unless directly questioned.

LOL

I'm reasonably certain you know that is not what I meant.
    Sims 4 Simple Elegance

152511.gif

This is the truth.
    Mitakuye oyasin.
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    RoyaiChaos wrote: »

What do you mean "can't be bothered to add little things like lockable doors". It's much harder than it sounds, and unless you want super buggy locked doors or a delayed GTW, it's simply not possible. They even said it was something they were looking into. My guess is that if demand is high enough, it'll be added in the next patch. And honestly, there's always going to be something for you to complain about. There are tons of "little things" they could have added but a lot lot little things combined is a lot of work. If they had added locked doors and allowed your Sims to eat, you would have complained that they should have added more lots. If they had added more lots you would have complained about not being able to purchase using the register. If they had added that then you would have complained about the absence of shopping bags. If they had added that you would have complained about how things pop when you purchase them. If they had added that I'm sure you would have complained about something else too. Yeah, you could argue they should have added all of those things, but then that's no longer "just a ____", that's a lot of things to add. If you're going to only focus on the negatives and what they could have done, then no plum it's going to look bad, but if you compare the negatives with the positives, you'll have a much fairer comparison.

You're funny. Really amusing. And your logic is a total fail. All of the things that you say I would have complained about are all of the things that other players are already complaining about. I post over on the Get To Work forum from time to time, so I invite you to find *one* response from me complaining about any of those issues. The only thing I have "complained" about is pointing out that they could have used the same interactions for food as they do in the bars where Sims can get a bowl of chips and go sit down and eat them. It really wouldn't have been *that* hard.

As for "It's much harder than it looks", give me a break. How hard can it be to add a line to "set as front door", "allow only me", "allow only household" to a door so that the player can choose who comes in and out of their Sim's house? They did it in Sims 2, and Sims 3....but, of course, it's TOO HARD for them to do it in Sims 4...as someone pointed out, it's just a few lines added to the door interactions...I hardly consider that to be a potential for super buggy doors.

Use your common sense already, and admit that you obviously think that EA's development team is incompetent. It MUST be since it's TOO HARD for them to add simple interactions to the game. But as for me making all those complaints if lockable doors were added to The Sims 4... those are already being made, but not by me. Please....(wishes there was a rolleyes emoticon). :rolleyes:

EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    MzB06MzB06 Posts: 1,200 Member
    @Writin_Reg

What do you mean toddlers had no gameplay elements? Can you specify? I'm a bit confused by that statement :/ . I played TS2, I do recall my toddlers learning how to walk, talk, and potty train (yes via an older sim). However, they did have to build their skills (logic, creative, etc...) and build social skills (develop relationships- they could also fight over toys with siblings). They could always expand ofcourse, but in my opinion that's a part of gameplay.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

I was asking MarianneSimmer what she was referring to.

Hello. What I was referring to in what regard? :)
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited April 2015

Well it happened in Sims 3 with the pets recoding - I specifically said In the saves we had been playing up to that point - in fact we had to uninstall all our store content, redownload and reinstall it - but the issue happened in the saves because all that content no longer worked with the coding that was in the save. So we had to start the whole game over. I don't know where you were during that time but there were over 20 people in the group I hung out with in the CAW forums and everybody was not very happy with losing 3 years of simming after buying the Pets ep.

As to the thing about eps working together - then you are calling Maxis people a liar then? As Sims Guru Smitty and Sims Guru Coop and a few others said the eps, sps are made to work with just the bast game first and foremost - just as they had no choice but make all the store content to work with just the basegame. 2ndly they tried to make sure packs and store content did not conflict with each other, but it was unavoidable at times - like the grey snow in Aurora Springs, like trouble with Ip's ep and other worlds both ep worlds and store. They said that. It was in the Store worlds thread in the Ask the Guru anything thread in Sims 3.

Last you cannot say no recoding is necessary in the base game for toddlers - how do you propose to work their existence in then without recoding. What present code poofs the object baby into a child that jumps out of a bassinet - so please explain how that toddler can be added into the present coding. Not everyone here lacks knowledge about how coding/programming works. I used to program pcs before we even had an operating system. I'll admit i don't do C++ programming - but my son does (for 9 years now) and he very much agrees with me.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    Aussie_SimmerAussie_Simmer Posts: 2,623 Member
    This is fantastic! Great job! I love everything about it. Where did you get that sign for the door? :)
    Aussie_Simmer
  • Options
    RosiaMia_RosiaMia_ Posts: 1,377 Member
    This is fantastic! Great job! I love everything about it. Where did you get that sign for the door? :)

Thank you. Its already on the door :)

• Options

@MarianneSimmer This:
    @Writin_Reg

Just asking for a little clarity. :)
    Sims 4 Simple Elegance

152511.gif

This is the truth.
    Mitakuye oyasin.
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    The thing I find most ironic is The Sims is and always has been sold on the basic principle it was a life Simulation/ sandbox game - so all the hoopla over missing content from cars to dishwashers to even the since returned pools just burn my toast so to speak as none of THAT matter when part of the fundamental family units does not exist in a game about these Pixel people. it was all good and fine in the original game that they treated the family unit just as never aging, never having a day off adults going about life in a virtually lifeless neighborhood with no community lots in the base game. The baby object that turned into a child and never blossomed into anything in between and also never turned teen, never grew up - was just sad. So sad in fact many of us did not even really picture the game as a real - or lifelike simulation game - we saw it as just a sandbox where we could explore our wildest dreams - and create a demi life we either loosely wished we had or could sort of experience. It was truly a sort of doll house where the dolls sort of came alive but of course as dolls go - they never age - they never grow up, etc, etc.

Then Sims 2 came out and the whole concept exploded. Suddenly we could make our dolls grow up. Our dolls could marry, have babies, go through all the main stages of real life, as well as explore the world and the possibilities of careers, dream, fantasies or just a simple life. In Sims 2 one could truly "challenge everything" live a life. What's more we could even duplicate our own real existence - our real life families in this world of make believe - there was no end to what we could do and it was in fact a pretty fun game that we could look at as an actual life simulation but where the imagination could happily collide with fantasy - and "what is" could be reflected and explored if any of the things in the game - like aliens - and all the other things humanity does not have proof exists - were also offered in the game - or not. It was all in the game though and the player really did make the choice exactly how their game would be.

Need I say the game exploded in sales - far surpassing the actual Original Sims game - which compared to many games was a bit unusual for a second version to just explode and instantly double the sales of the game to the point it became the best selling game of all time. No other Sims game has ever done what Sims 2 did. For all the applause and celebration of the following series with it's beautiful open worlds and its creative CASt - the fact remains even with all it offered - it was still less than half as successful as Sims 2 because the seriously perfect family units and everything about the Sims family itself - even though the stages were there in Sims 3, the wonderfulness and the users full control of the over all game were tainted. Fact is had it not been for the creative side of Sims 3 - i seriously doubt it would have done half of what it did had the Sims 3 not had Cast and the open world and the seemingly endless creative ability of the game.

Stands to reason to most of us Maxis did have the formula to technically blow the lid right off of the best selling game of all time roof and quite simply they not only ignored it - they totally blew it! I had the idea when I first heard Sims 4 was being considered - that if they did it right - every person on this planet who ever enjoyed one of the 3 sims games would waste no time buying up what would have been a purely phenomenal game. I remember posting on the thread I hung out on during Sims three days - way back in 2012 even thinking Sims 4 will be the best because for sure they will duplicate everything about the Sims 2 sims that everyone raved about - including their realistic cars they walked to and did not teleport to and the community lots we went into to shop, to work, to enjoy like in Sims 2 - make the sims a bit more realistic in appearance - but give them all the behaviors and thing that made Sims 2 sim families so perfect from bathing their babies and toddlers to every thing the adorables did and put these rather perfect families in a Sims 3 type of open world with a Cast like ability to color everything. I said that three years ago. Many others had the same idea about the same time i did and said the same thing. And we dreamed of that absolutely perfect Sims game - I mean Maxis already had the formulas - how hard could it be to just do it all right? So why in heaven's name did they take a detour off into left field - even by considering the online which was already widely known if they paid any attention to the major fail of 8 years of trying a sims online - why did they even ever go in that direction - never mind steer so far out of the box when they decided to abandon that idea when the came back to online - they just could not control themselves in going to formulas that were tried and true and beyond successful - noooooo - that had to get a idiotic vision - that quite frankly none of us saw as a vision remotely like true Simmers see this game and what has always actually made the game great - is first and foremost the SANDBOX - where we decide how we play. There is nothing at all linear in playing in a sandbox. If you think there is - you need to go to any playground that has one and observe kids playing in one. Their imagination is what fuels delight in a sandbox. A sandbox has one rule - don't throw the sand out or at each other.

That should have been their first focus - then they should have been focusing on the world where simmers could expand the sandbox and create the world they wanted or make it possible like in Sims 3 - and most importantly figure out how to take all of the what was the Sims 2 families and community lots - but create the sims a bit more like us - just a tad more realistic - and put those sims in this new world. All of them - every stage. All their quirky and wonderful ways.

How hard can it possibly be to rewrite what you people have already done? Obviously that format works just fine when you people create expansions. Every series has had a pets ep, a vacation ep, and all the other rehashed but nicely different eps with good results - so what on earth made you think you needed to go way off track in to some weird kind of "vision quest" instead of following a formula that proves they worked at least in part?

When a music artist makes several albums - they generally make at least a few songs on each album as extremely more successful than all the rest. So after coming out with several albums - the best artist then take and make a remix or a combination of all the best songs on each album and put it on a greatest hits album. That greatest hits album always blows away any other album most artists make because it has just the best of the best on that one album. Perfect formula. it always works.

Maxis has the perfect formula - has the hits in each of the first three series and decided they needed a brand new album instead of making a greatest hits of the Sims. I fail to understand this mentality.

New ideas are fine - make all the new idea expansions you want - but when you blow the perfect formula for the base game - don't expect simmers that either off the bat realize it, or those that later realize it to keep waiting or even wanting you people who hold the magic to toss us a lifeline.

Had you REALLY been listening Maxis and had you really heard us - you would have known that.

Well said @Writin_Reg. I lurked on the old forums and TS4 is the furthest thing from what was asked from EA/Maxis than could ever exist! They had such wonderful, talented and sensible simmers giving them such a wealth of ideas for the future that it's truly upsetting the disregarded it all in favour of a vague 'vision' they won't actually share with anyone!
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I really hope that if toddlers do return we get nannies or babysitters back as well. Smart milk would be nice to have return as well. I want my Sims to milk the cowplant for smart milk.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options

@MarianneSimmer This:
    @Writin_Reg

I was refering, mostly, to the former CEO wanting The Sims to go online and the new team not going into that direction and keeping it single-player, offline. I also like the new direction of constantly updating the game with very pleasing free content. I also like that GtW has more new CAS items and more Build / Buy items than any EP before. I liked the EP over all.

I hope now I have made myself clear.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I also want the toddlers to get in trouble and do funny things like in this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkxO2hrQFWA
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    The thing I find most ironic is The Sims is and always has been sold on the basic principle it was a life Simulation/ sandbox game - so all the hoopla over missing content from cars to dishwashers to even the since returned pools just burn my toast so to speak as none of THAT matter when part of the fundamental family units does not exist in a game about these Pixel people. it was all good and fine in the original game that they treated the family unit just as never aging, never having a day off adults going about life in a virtually lifeless neighborhood with no community lots in the base game. The baby object that turned into a child and never blossomed into anything in between and also never turned teen, never grew up - was just sad. So sad in fact many of us did not even really picture the game as a real - or lifelike simulation game - we saw it as just a sandbox where we could explore our wildest dreams - and create a demi life we either loosely wished we had or could sort of experience. It was truly a sort of doll house where the dolls sort of came alive but of course as dolls go - they never age - they never grow up, etc, etc.

Then Sims 2 came out and the whole concept exploded. Suddenly we could make our dolls grow up. Our dolls could marry, have babies, go through all the main stages of real life, as well as explore the world and the possibilities of careers, dream, fantasies or just a simple life. In Sims 2 one could truly "challenge everything" live a life. What's more we could even duplicate our own real existence - our real life families in this world of make believe - there was no end to what we could do and it was in fact a pretty fun game that we could look at as an actual life simulation but where the imagination could happily collide with fantasy - and "what is" could be reflected and explored if any of the things in the game - like aliens - and all the other things humanity does not have proof exists - were also offered in the game - or not. It was all in the game though and the player really did make the choice exactly how their game would be.

Need I say the game exploded in sales - far surpassing the actual Original Sims game - which compared to many games was a bit unusual for a second version to just explode and instantly double the sales of the game to the point it became the best selling game of all time. No other Sims game has ever done what Sims 2 did. For all the applause and celebration of the following series with it's beautiful open worlds and its creative CASt - the fact remains even with all it offered - it was still less than half as successful as Sims 2 because the seriously perfect family units and everything about the Sims family itself - even though the stages were there in Sims 3, the wonderfulness and the users full control of the over all game were tainted. Fact is had it not been for the creative side of Sims 3 - i seriously doubt it would have done half of what it did had the Sims 3 not had Cast and the open world and the seemingly endless creative ability of the game.

Stands to reason to most of us Maxis did have the formula to technically blow the lid right off of the best selling game of all time roof and quite simply they not only ignored it - they totally blew it! I had the idea when I first heard Sims 4 was being considered - that if they did it right - every person on this planet who ever enjoyed one of the 3 sims games would waste no time buying up what would have been a purely phenomenal game. I remember posting on the thread I hung out on during Sims three days - way back in 2012 even thinking Sims 4 will be the best because for sure they will duplicate everything about the Sims 2 sims that everyone raved about - including their realistic cars they walked to and did not teleport to and the community lots we went into to shop, to work, to enjoy like in Sims 2 - make the sims a bit more realistic in appearance - but give them all the behaviors and thing that made Sims 2 sim families so perfect from bathing their babies and toddlers to every thing the adorables did and put these rather perfect families in a Sims 3 type of open world with a Cast like ability to color everything. I said that three years ago. Many others had the same idea about the same time i did and said the same thing. And we dreamed of that absolutely perfect Sims game - I mean Maxis already had the formulas - how hard could it be to just do it all right? So why in heaven's name did they take a detour off into left field - even by considering the online which was already widely known if they paid any attention to the major fail of 8 years of trying a sims online - why did they even ever go in that direction - never mind steer so far out of the box when they decided to abandon that idea when the came back to online - they just could not control themselves in going to formulas that were tried and true and beyond successful - noooooo - that had to get a idiotic vision - that quite frankly none of us saw as a vision remotely like true Simmers see this game and what has always actually made the game great - is first and foremost the SANDBOX - where we decide how we play. There is nothing at all linear in playing in a sandbox. If you think there is - you need to go to any playground that has one and observe kids playing in one. Their imagination is what fuels delight in a sandbox. A sandbox has one rule - don't throw the sand out or at each other.

That should have been their first focus - then they should have been focusing on the world where simmers could expand the sandbox and create the world they wanted or make it possible like in Sims 3 - and most importantly figure out how to take all of the what was the Sims 2 families and community lots - but create the sims a bit more like us - just a tad more realistic - and put those sims in this new world. All of them - every stage. All their quirky and wonderful ways.

How hard can it possibly be to rewrite what you people have already done? Obviously that format works just fine when you people create expansions. Every series has had a pets ep, a vacation ep, and all the other rehashed but nicely different eps with good results - so what on earth made you think you needed to go way off track in to some weird kind of "vision quest" instead of following a formula that proves they worked at least in part?

When a music artist makes several albums - they generally make at least a few songs on each album as extremely more successful than all the rest. So after coming out with several albums - the best artist then take and make a remix or a combination of all the best songs on each album and put it on a greatest hits album. That greatest hits album always blows away any other album most artists make because it has just the best of the best on that one album. Perfect formula. it always works.

Maxis has the perfect formula - has the hits in each of the first three series and decided they needed a brand new album instead of making a greatest hits of the Sims. I fail to understand this mentality.

New ideas are fine - make all the new idea expansions you want - but when you blow the perfect formula for the base game - don't expect simmers that either off the bat realize it, or those that later realize it to keep waiting or even wanting you people who hold the magic to toss us a lifeline.

Had you REALLY been listening Maxis and had you really heard us - you would have known that.

Well said @Writin_Reg. I lurked on the old forums and TS4 is the furthest thing from what was asked from EA/Maxis than could ever exist! They had such wonderful, talented and sensible simmers giving them such a wealth of ideas for the future that it's truly upsetting the disregarded it all in favour of a vague 'vision' they won't actually share with anyone!

It does seem that, during the development of The Sims 4, much feedback was ignored. I was not pleased the game shipped without pools, for instance. I did like the game for several reasons and that enderament progressed because I felt that, after launch, they started listening more and added to the game many content and fixes players requested.

I hope that trend continues. It is my hope and my belief that toddlers are being developed. And the best source for feedback on them would be your topic. :)
  • Options

@MarianneSimmer This:
    @Writin_Reg

I was refering, mostly, to the former CEO wanting The Sims to go online and the new team not going into that direction and keeping it single-player, offline. I also like the new direction of constantly updating the game with very pleasing free content. I also like that GtW has more new CAS items and more Build / Buy items than any EP before. I liked the EP over all.

I hope now I have made myself clear.

ok So you were talking more about the direction the company is taking and not the "vision" of the game.

I do like the frequent updates with free content but I have to wonder just how long those will last. As long as they are putting in what should have been in the base game they will continue but once they have "caught up" or some higher up makes the decision that they've done enough to try to "placate the masses" I'm not so sure the free content will continue.

Although I would have preferred a few things to have been done differently, I'm reasonably happy with GTW. I just wish they had added more than one new wallpaper and one new floor tile. I'm also not really happy you can only place one item on the tri-level display stand without having to use MOO. Unless there are only certain items that can be placed on it and I just haven't found what those items are yet.
    Sims 4 Simple Elegance

152511.gif

This is the truth.
    Mitakuye oyasin.
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member

It does seem that, during the development of The Sims 4, much feedback was ignored. I was not pleased the game shipped without pools, for instance. I did like the game for several reasons and that enderament progressed because I felt that, after launch, they started listening more and added to the game many content and fixes players requested.

I hope that trend continues. It is my hope and my belief that toddlers are being developed. And the best source for feedback on them would be your topic. :)

I hope so too @MarianneSimmer <3 I'm happy simmers like you enjoy it-it gives me hope one day it'll be players like @Writin_Reg and I too, but it gets hard when you own a game you've tried to love and that just isn't catering to your love of the sims and you get to watch everyone else have fun without you!