Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Tips for keeping sims from gaining weight

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,678 Member
    I think they key is to not let them eat until their hunger bar is completely filled up. This was a method used in TS2 and it worked. Trying to see if it works in TS4.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    SimfuncrunchSimfuncrunch Posts: 513 Member
    I think they key is to not let them eat until their hunger bar is completely filled up. This was a method used in TS2 and it worked. Trying to see if it works in TS4.

It does work. It just requires more micro-management than many players, including myself, would like.

As I described in another thread, my active Sim, despite working out regularly, got quite overweight before I started watching his Hunger bar to make sure he didn't overeat. I refuse to feed my Sims only salads. Maxis put lots of cakes and other treats in the game and I'm going to eat them, maybe not for every meal, but not only on special occasions either. This isn't "real life", and if you can buy a reward that allows you to never have to pee again, you should be able to buy one that allows you to eat whatever you want without your weight changing, as suggested above. (I know about the potion, but that resets weight all the way to slim, whereas some players would like Sims with some pudge to them.)
  • Options
    SimsweetieSimsweetie Posts: 562 Member
    I don't really do any of this and my sims stay pretty trim just by hitting up the gym every so often. I also only let them eat if they are actually hungry - but they eat anything they want including cake, cookies, pancakes etc.
  • Options
    thewatcheruatuthewatcheruatu Posts: 295 Member
    edited March 2015
    Just a tip for you all--grow a fruit plant. The fruit that you pick off of it doesn't rot, and you can keep it in your fridge or your personal inventory. Eating a piece of fruit takes almost no time at all, gives you a happy buff, and actually fills a good part of your hunger bar. I've been cooking a lot fewer fattening meals ever since realizing that. Also means you don't have to go running home every time your Sim starts to feel a bit famished.

And it just occurred to me that as I type this, I'm eating an apple. See--works in real life, too!
  • Options
    suzanna13suzanna13 Posts: 1,426 Member
    What really bothered me was when the game first came out sims would get these freaky muscles from gardening and digging for stuff. I don't know if that still happens. I really like the weight gain now though. It makes my sims more individual. Some sims I just love their chubby looks. If weight on a certain sim bothers me I put them on the treadmill. I have found it works if you have them work out and then when they quit have them push the limits. I don't know if that would work with a supper skinny malnourished type of sim but it works for sims that were made with their sliders at or slightly below center.

I really am bothered more by the muscles especially on my female sims. I had an astronaut who when I wasn't playing him somehow bulked up and looked like the incredible hulk. I did see him at the gym using a weight machine so perhaps we have story progression at work here. He seems to be gradually losing some of his bulk but I am not sure he will ever be normal. I also dread leaving him alone again to play another family.

I am sure there are players who love the muscle look. (Just check out the gallery.) Everyone has a different idea of what is and isn't acceptable. I hope ea won't try to change it. I would rather they came up with some other solution so everyone is happy.
  • Options
    tyenetyene Posts: 65 Member
    My sims never seem to get fatter... I've tried and tried and nothing.
  • Options
    VlaxitovVlaxitov Posts: 5,798 Member
    edited March 2015
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    It makes me sad that the sims 4 focuses so hard on calorie counting. There's enough weight and food and body image obsession irl, why put it into a video game?

Dude, in The Sims 3 I sent my Sim to the Diner twice in one night and they got fat. Then, I went on the treadmill and they lost the weight.

I'd like to see proof of that because my sims in TS3 would have to eat like 3-4 meals/snacks in a row to even start gaining weight. Serious weight gain in TS3 was deliberate.
  • Options
    VlaxitovVlaxitov Posts: 5,798 Member
    I don't know if things have more recently changed or not but I've never followed a path of what they eat rather than when they eat.

Eats lamb chops 2 out of 3 meals.

4lrak0.jpg

Only works out once in a blue moon.

6oh2yw.jpg

The key is to wait until your sims are hungry enough that the last bite of the meal they take isn't on a full hunger bar.
  • Options
    blueasbutterflyblueasbutterfly Posts: 3,425 Member
    @Darkslayer I don't play it. It's one of the many reasons I stopped. I agree that they can't cater to everyone but this particular "feature" seems unnecessary. I was glad when they said they had fixed it, but... it wasn't fixed for me. I'm still hanging around waiting for the general fixing of things to happen so I can give it another go. I'm playing 2 and 3 totally happily. :) still hoping they tone it down in 4 though.
    toddlersig3_zps62792e0c.jpg
  • Options
    mizuru007mizuru007 Posts: 1,085 Member
    One of my biggest annoyances is actually being unable to affect the weight of Sim children. If you feed your Sim infant when they aren't hungry while guessing why they're crying, their invisible weight slider goes up. No matter how much you make your child exercise, they can't lose weight.
    I spent a lot of time in my first file not understanding why Sim infants were growing up into overweight children. I was also feeding the infants on a schedule...like you can do in real life (depending on factors like their age).