Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Home for the Holidays :: Issue #30, pg 16! - Update 03/13

Comments

• Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    @Kaleeko I love it when the game senses what story we've spun out in our mind and then provides just what we need to advance our story! To me, it's the most magical and fun part of SimLit writing!

I have faith in Gramps. I think we're going to discover something else, but something equally intriguing!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    DavidMCSessyDavidMCSessy Posts: 1,148 Member
    @Kaleeko My Sims have painted the Simlish version of the "Girl with a Pearl Earring" by Vermeer. I almost passed away when I saw it!

As for torturing Sims, I love it too... *insert troll face here* *dances in circles with Kaleeko*
    5k381e.png

My TumblrMy Twitter
  • Options
    KaleekoKaleeko Posts: 586 Member
    @CathyTea Yeah I know!! It is the BEST feeling. It's been rare, but I had it happen a few times with TS3, too... You have no idea how you're going to make something work, then boop! The stars just align!

I'm glad you have faith in him. ♥ Not that he's in the greatest light right now, but there's certainly more going on than meets the eye! ;)
  • Options
    @DavidMcSessy Ooooh, that's cool!! I have yet to see that one. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled. I haven't gotten to just 'play' the Holiday's house in a while but I think I will soon, I'll have to make sure Harold does lots of painting.

*snicker* Yeah, I think it's an intrinsic part of being a storyteller... Somebody's gotta get hurt, and there's something worryingly satisfying about how enjoyable it is to pull the puppet strings. >: ]
  • Options
    Kaleeko wrote: »

I'm glad you have faith in him. ♥ Not that he's in the greatest light right now, but there's certainly more going on than meets the eye! ;)

I just sense that he has this really deep sense of ethics that runs through all he says and does. And I trust it. I'd trust him if he were in my life. I wouldn't agree with him all that often (hehe!) but I'd trust him.

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    CathyTea wrote: »

I just sense that he has this really deep sense of ethics that runs through all he says and does. And I trust it. I'd trust him if he were in my life. I wouldn't agree with him all that often (hehe!) but I'd trust him.

You know what @CathyTea -- that is a fantastic assessment. I have to keep my lips sealed, which is TERRIBLY infuriating at times (as I'm sure you know!) but in knowing the other characters pretty well, I'd have to say if you were gonna put your eggs into anyone's basket for safe keeping, it would have to be Harold's. His biggest flaw is he cares about everyone else a little bit more than he cares about himself. >_<
  • Options
    Home for the Holidays - Issue #27

tumblr_nkio419m6q1qk5ux8o1_540.png
    tumblr_nkio419m6q1qk5ux8o2_540.png
    tumblr_nkio419m6q1qk5ux8o3_540.png
    tumblr_nkio419m6q1qk5ux8o4_540.png
    tumblr_nkio419m6q1qk5ux8o8_540.png
    tumblr_nkio419m6q1qk5ux8o5_540.png
    tumblr_nkio419m6q1qk5ux8o6_540.png
    tumblr_nkio419m6q1qk5ux8o7_540.png

This is yesterday's that I forgot to post over here, which means you'll be getting another one a few hours! ^-^ Keep your eyes peeled!
  • Options
    Kalee, I might have been quite blunt with my statement on Tumblr that I hate Grampa. I did it to boost the contrast between liking and disliking. I would hardly say the word "hate" in real life.

I guess I just didn't like how Grampa acted, but who am I kidding? I'd probably act the same way if I was on Grampa's place.

I love love your story and I can't wait for more. You have always been my role model for Sims storytelling, I learned so many things from you so I can be where I am now. I just couldn't thank you more for the happiness you bring on my face when I see something new from you, even if it is a reply to someone else.

I love you and I love how people support you so much! I love how far you've gotten and I just love you! Bye!

Oh, and I hate how you are on the other side of the world and I always have to catch up on your stories the next day, and I hate how we can't talk more because you are awesome!

Bye! Love ya all!
    5k381e.png

My TumblrMy Twitter
  • Options
    FloorRaisinFloorRaisin Posts: 1,340 Member
    Awesome story! I'm loving each new little reveal. :)

The Wolff Legacy - whattheplum.wordpress.com - Latest update: Forward, Fast
  • Options
    ^^ me, too. And Marty's kind words make me smile, too. ^^

• Options
    @DavidMcSessy I get what you mean--in that current instance, Harold was being a bit brash and perhaps insensitive, but considering the circumstances I imagine it's a bit understandable. And, immediately after his initial snap, he realizes, "Hey, this is Walter and Amy's last night together... Maybe I should just let them be." even if he doesn't outright say it. He probably would have apologized if he weren't so tired. Or such a stick in the mud. lol.

I really feel bad for the poor guy. As far as he's aware, the grandson he's very attached to is being taken away by someone he knows doesn't have Walter's best interests in mind, on top of knowing she's blackmailing him for gobs of money. And all the while he's said nothing to Walt, because he doesn't want to break Walt's heart. Whatever illegal things he's up to and why, though, he's still doing everything in his power to care for the people he loves--and I think Amy recognizes that, even if Walter doesn't, which is why she doesn't let Walt confront him about it in this last issue.

And there I go, analyzing my own characters. XD I think far too much about this kind of thing, lol!

Thank you so much for the kind words, though. ♥ It always wracks my brain that any of you find what I write that compelling! :blush: Especially with this story, since I opted to write as minimal text as possible to keep the story quick and easy to read. I do try my hardest, though! I'm glad it pays off. And hey, it may suck I'm so far away, but at least we have the internet to begin with. ^^ It still flabbergasts me that people literally on the other side of the globe are able to connect with each other.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I really feel bad for the poor guy. As far as he's aware, the grandson he's very attached to is being taken away by someone he knows doesn't have Walter's best interests in mind

I know. His heart's breaking, and his pain is evident in every word, thoughtless gesture, and expression.
    Thank you so much for the kind words, though. ♥ It always wracks my brain that any of you find what I write that compelling! :blush: Especially with this story, since I opted to write as minimal text as possible

I think it is the minimalism that makes it so powerful. @FloorRaisin has the same minimalistic touch with a rich cargo of emotional and intellectual content behind each tiny phrase and sometimes even a single word! Often, if the substance exists within the writer/Sims/plot, then only the briefest touch is required to let the reader construct what lies behind the surface.

• Options
    @CathyTea & @FloorRaisin : Thanks, you two! And man... If you enjoy reveals, then you're really going to like what's coming up soon. I apparently am closing up this chapter with quite a few. >_>

thevil2.gif~c200
  • Options
    Seeing all this love that everyone expresses for their characters, good or bad, I can't help it but feel a bit jealous.

I suffer from something that needs me to go out and take away some time off the computer and my stories, but how when everything seems so interesting and intriguing, not only for my Sims, but for everyone else's too, I have to stop doing it.

I mean, I recently started a new comic and and I am planning on writing a new full story, but I won't be able to work on anything just because my head gets messy from all the thinking.

I am sorry for this random rambling, but I just wanted to say it. I think that your stories guys will be my strength in my need for creating and reading Sims stories, because it has turned into a big part of my life, and now when I can't do it, I feel... strange.

I am not even supposed to be here writing this thing. I am sorry. I wish you all the best!
    5k381e.png

My TumblrMy Twitter
  • Options
    @CathyTea I've definitely done what I can to make sure I "show" as much as I can since I can only ever outright "tell" it in dialogue, so I really, REALLY appreciate the fact you notice that. <3

The minimalist approach is still something I feel pretty new at--I wrote Desperate Sims for years with almost the opposite approach, and I do miss it at times, but I think you're right. Having the reader decipher what's going on rather than putting it on a silver platter can make certain things a lot more emotive since you aren't buried in the text too much. At least, that's always the hope. It can be tough with TS4 as fresh as it is. Hopefully as time goes on and we get access to more gameplay mechanics/animations/mods, "showing" things will get easier! :3
  • Options
    I'm doing the opposite approach out of a previous argument with minimalism -- but now I think the argument is more with Modernism than minimalism, for I am adoring post-modern minimalism. Reading these elegant and moving works of minimalism make me want to venture there with some future project.

• Options
    I am not even supposed to be here writing this thing. I am sorry. I wish you all the best!

@DavidMcSessy Tsk tsk! Go... do what you're supposed to be doing! Sleep? School? Work? Go! Sims can always wait for another day.

And, that's an important thing to remember. It's easy to get mixed up in your thoughts about stories, but it can always wait, and that's okay. :) Unless you think of something new that you HAVE to jot down in a notebook somewhere. But otherwise... Let that messy mind unwind when it can! Having a fresh mind can make writing easier, later.

Also, very intrigued about this other story you mentioned... Careful not to load up your plate with too much, bud. Take it from someone who has done that way, way too often. Juggling everything I am rn is a nightmare! >_<
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    CathyTea wrote: »
    I'm doing the opposite approach out of a previous argument with minimalism -- but now I think the argument is more with Modernism than minimalism, for I am adoring post-modern minimalism. Reading these elegant and moving works of minimalism make me want to venture there with some future project.

@CathyTea I'd love to see it, if you do! I've noticed a lot of stories like that creeping up lately, that feel a bit more "cinematic" than "novel-esque" (if that makes sense), and I am really loving it.

I think it has a lot to do with sort of a culture shift on the internet--a lot of popularity is going to more 'bite sized' content. From youtube->vine, facebook->twitter, blogs->tumblr. Everything is going to kind of a 'short & to the point' kind of style, which has it's drawbacks, but I find it really fascinating. Kinda requires a lot of adaptation for trying to tell sims stories, but I love the creativity it's inspiring. I always love seeing people try new things!
  • Options
    I think it has a lot to do with sort of a culture shift on the internet--a lot of popularity is going to more 'bite sized' content. From youtube->vine, facebook->twitter, blogs->tumblr. Everything is going to kind of a 'short & to the point' kind of style, which has it's drawbacks, but I find it really fascinating.

This is sort of what I argue against for I love words...

But what I think I'm feeling the promptings to do in a summerish project will be to play with more with-holding. I'll still want to tell through the medium of words, for I love them, but I want to pick them like ripe plums off a tree--choosing the juciest, ripest, purplest, and leaving the rest in the sun to ripen until their time for picking arrives!

• Options
    @CathyTea I totally understand what you mean. :) Right now I feel like I prefer shorter content because of time allowances, but very few things beat a thorough, well written story. There's a time and a place for all varieties of content though, and I always appreciate it when someone tries something different and succeeds! I'll have to keep my eye out for your summer project, but in the meantime, I should probably get caught up on your current stuff. What I would kill for a few more hours in the day...!
  • Options
    Home for the Holidays -- Issue #28

tumblr_nkkqggomXU1qk5ux8o1_540.png
    tumblr_nkkqggomXU1qk5ux8o2_540.png
    tumblr_nkkqggomXU1qk5ux8o3_540.png
    tumblr_nkkqggomXU1qk5ux8o4_540.png
    tumblr_nkkqggomXU1qk5ux8o5_540.png
    tumblr_nkkqggomXU1qk5ux8o6_r1_540.png
    tumblr_nkkqggomXU1qk5ux8o7_r1_540.png
    tumblr_nkkqggomXU1qk5ux8o8_r1_540.png
    tumblr_nkkqggomXU1qk5ux8o9_r1_540.png
    tumblr_nkkqggomXU1qk5ux8o10_r1_540.png

Hooray--only two more issues left until the end of Chapter One! *dance*
  • Options
    I love it, Kalee! I actually can't wait to see the other characters! I know that Alex from RiP will be featured! :)
    5k381e.png

My TumblrMy Twitter
  • Options
    {I feel like cheering!} Yay! I love it! I adore her shirt, too! I've got about 6 teen girl Sims begging me for it! (no CC, but still!).

I feel so much happier for Gramps.

Hey! how'd you get them to hold hands standing up? :)

• Options
    @DavidMcSessy Your timing is impeccable... ;) You'll see what I mean soon, lol. Really hoping to crack open my game today so I can have the next issue up tonight.
  • Options
    @CathyTea *snicker* Well if you want the link for it ever just let me know! I tend to prefer obstaining from CC as much as possible, but very few of EA's options really fit Amy's "character", if that makes sense... I searched aaaaages and practically cried from happiness when I found that top, it was so perfect. And bonus, the creator of the top was super excited to see it used in my story, so win-win! :dizzy:

And yeah--Grampa may not get a chance to express it before the end of this Chapter, but having Amy so adamantly defend him (and having Walt stay, obviously) really made his day. T_T

The hand holding was some custom poses I whipped up the other day. They're not very good, I have a habit of creating sloppy poses that only look good from the angles I need, haha. Pose creation is still in it's infancy for TS4 as well, all you can do is replace animations (I replaced the 'friendly hug' for that one). That's fine though, I prefer exhausting and abusing every frame of EA's animations as much as I can before resorting to making my own. :)