Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims Who Wear Watches

I have always thought that if you are right handed, you wear your watch on your left wrist so that you don't damage it by bumping it up against something. Now all the sims in Sims 4 right handed. So why are they wearing their watches on their right wrist? :\

Comments

• Options
    AyumapAyumap Posts: 3,425 Member
    I don't wear a lot of jewelry myself but anytime I have worn a watch, or bracelet I tend to put it on my right hand(never even really thought about the placement though), unless it's bothering me then I take it off. So idk ? I don't really think it's a big deal. Personally if my watch was hitting a table while I was writing with pen and paper I'd just adjust it.
    2m60a6q.jpg
    *There's nothing wrong with loving the Sims 4, there's also nothing wrong with seeking improvements.
    A list of Mods I use.|My Sims 4 Mod and CC "Master" post. Helpful Links included.
  • Options
    sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    I'm right handed in RL and I was taught long ago by a family member that if you are right handed, you wear your watch on your opposite wrist. The same goes for if you are left handed. It's a silly thing to be taught in RL, and I think that most of us don't really care about which wrist that we wear our watches on today. It just me being old fashion. It's really no big deal, so Maxis doesn't have to do anything about this if they don't want to. But I would think that they would make two watches. That way we can make our sims wear a watch on either of their wrists. :)
  • Options
    sunman502 wrote: »
    I'm right handed in RL and I was taught long ago by a family member that if you are right handed, you wear your watch on your opposite wrist. The same goes for if you are left handed. It's a silly thing to be taught in RL, and I think that most of us don't really care about which wrist that we wear our watches on today. It just me being old fashion. It's really no big deal, so Maxis doesn't have to do anything about this if they don't want to. But I would think that they would make two watches. That way we can make our sims wear a watch on either of their wrists. :)

Ah, I see. This is honestly the first I've heard of this but like I said; I don't tend to wear jewelry. Maybe in the future when they add more accessories they'll add a left handed watch.
    2m60a6q.jpg
    *There's nothing wrong with loving the Sims 4, there's also nothing wrong with seeking improvements.
    A list of Mods I use.|My Sims 4 Mod and CC "Master" post. Helpful Links included.
  • Options
    AlmaMMAlmaMM Posts: 200 Member
    Since sims don't even write (no action comes into mind that would require a pen and a paper/book), the watch doesn't really get in the way much.
    Also, it's a fashion choice - who gives a plum if it's uncomfortable if it looks CHIC
  • Options
    My family goes way, way back in time. Like I had said: I was taught this by a family member. Which means that it's likely that not everybody is taught this in RL. So it's no real surprise that you never heard of this before because each family is different with different set of family teachings. But I hope they do add watches for the sims' left wrist in the game someday. :)
  • Options
    LenoreLoveLenoreLove Posts: 72 Member
    I am ambidextrous however using a clipboard in my left hand and writing with my right the watch on the right made it easy to see the time without having to turn the clipboard over and look at my left wrist. Time saver. (no pun intended)
    The necessity of procuring good intelligence is apparent and need not be further urged.
  • Options
    RacerX780RacerX780 Posts: 475 Member
    While I don't think this is taught in RL, I do think it's pretty standard. I'm left handed... I've always worn my watch on my right wrist. It just feels odd to have it on my left.

Whenever I see anyone in RL, on TV, the movies, etc. wearing a watch on their right wrist, I also look to see which hand they write with, and 9 times out of 10 they are left handed.

My guess is more left handed people would notice this since being right handed is more common.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Wasn't really trying to imply anything by what I said other than I wasn't aware this was a thing. It may very well be a thing in general. I don't see how the age of ones family matters seeing as all families are old.

I come from a military family myself but that's the extent of a label I'd place on it. I'd probably have to ask an uncle, brother, or my grandfather. Again, because I don't tend wear jewelry.

A lot of the accessories we have in game that go on one hand or an arm, don't really have a match for the other side so I think that's all it is. Just them making the accessories for one hand/arm and stopping there(instead of doing it for both). That's why I said perhaps in the future they'll add a left handed watch.
    2m60a6q.jpg
  • Options
    GirklGirkl Posts: 254 Member
    Where I grew up everyone I knew did the same thing OP,wore their watch on the opposite hand to that which they favour. I think it was partly so as the OP says you don't go around catching your watch on everything but I was also always under the impression that in the case of wind-up watches if you were right handed,you wore it on your left wrist so you could get to the little windy-uppy thing (yes I believe that is the correct technical term :P) which would be on the right hand side of the dial,same in reverse for anyone left-handed who owned a left-handed watch.

When it comes to Sims 4 I don't really mind which wrist they wear them on,although I agree the option to choose either would be nice. The more options the better,big or small in my opinion! I do find it annoying though that there doesn't seem to be any watches AT ALL for females- especially irritating if I'm making a business-like efficient Sim,or with some Athletic outfits for example. Is it just me that bothers? Does no female in EA wear watches?

Time-related though by far my biggest bug-bear is that the clocks don't show proper in-game Sim time unlike in Sims 3. Plus they are all stuck at different times. Unless I just dreamed all that in which case don't mind me,I'm old and sleep deprived XD
    "It's better to be over the hill than under it"
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    You learn something new every day then, I suppose!
    2m60a6q.jpg
  • Options
    Gnarl_LeeGnarl_Lee Posts: 1,014 Member
    I cant believe EA would do such a thing!...im SO disappointed
  • Options
    Girkl wrote: »
    Where I grew up everyone I knew did the same thing OP,wore their watch on the opposite hand to that which they favour. I think it was partly so as the OP says you don't go around catching your watch on everything but I was also always under the impression that in the case of wind-up watches if you were right handed,you wore it on your left wrist so you could get to the little windy-uppy thing (yes I believe that is the correct technical term :P) which would be on the right hand side of the dial,same in reverse for anyone left-handed who owned a left-handed watch.

When it comes to Sims 4 I don't really mind which wrist they wear them on,although I agree the option to choose either would be nice. The more options the better,big or small in my opinion! I do find it annoying though that there doesn't seem to be any watches AT ALL for females- especially irritating if I'm making a business-like efficient Sim,or with some Athletic outfits for example. Is it just me that bothers? Does no female in EA wear watches?

Time-related though by far my biggest bug-bear is that the clocks don't show proper in-game Sim time unlike in Sims 3. Plus they are all stuck at different times. Unless I just dreamed all that in which case don't mind me,I'm old and sleep deprived XD
    I had forgotten about the wind-up part of a wrist watch. Yes, it would be kind of hard to wind a wrist watch up if the little wind-up is on the outside instead of being on the inside.
    Thank you so for reminding me about that part of wearing a wrist watch. :)

• Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,091 Member
    Typical right handed people wanting the world to cater to them. EA got this right some Sims are left handed now clearly left handed Sims have taken power you must get over this fact.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    Typical right handed people wanting the world to cater to them. EA got this right some Sims are left handed now clearly left handed Sims have taken power you must get over this fact.
    This has nothing to do with right or left handed people wanting the world to cater to them. The OP has to do with the fact that there only right handed wrist watches in Sims 4. When in fact that they should have made both right, and left handed wrist watches for the game. They have bangles for both wrists in the game. But only right handed wrist watches. So there's really no reason why that you should be upset over this. :)

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Posts: 4,220 Member
    I am right-handed and, although my mother pestered me for it, I have always worn watches on my right wrist. It feels uncomfortable and cumbersome on the left wrist to me.

Although my mother's complaints do indicate that at some point in the past there was such rule, nowadays I see people wear them on either wrist (sometimes on both)!

Watches have become less of an utility item and more of a fashion statement.

I do wish, however, all arm and hand adornments could be worn on both sides, since, to my understanding, they'd simply have to mirror the object.
  • Options
    SilentDancerSilentDancer Posts: 862 Member
    Yeah, I was taught to wear watches on the wrist opposite of your dominant hand. The reason I was told was because you'd be able to easily set the time on the watch with your dominant hand.
    ezgifcom-gif-maker3.gif
    ezgifcom-gif-maker4.gif
  • Options
    BadmagicBadmagic Posts: 1,610 Member
    In real life I use a pocket watch, have since I was about 10 since I cannot abide anything around my wrist and refuse to own a mobile/cell phone since I was finally untethered from one I was required to carry for work many ears ago, I don't know why exactly I have such a strong aversion to them, just the way I am.

And another topic entirely, I will refrain from ranting about sims being born with a mobile/cell phone attached...

Anyway, I understand the reasons for them dropping the left/right handedness from the users choice, if I hear any more about the time it takes to animate etc... but, I will never understand, ever, why wristwatches and/or every bracelet etc for that matter aren't available for both left or write wrist, it gives you so much more in options if they would clone these objects and flip them, true it would be subtle but, I really feel it would help when diversifying individual sims.
  • Options
    I agree with the fact that they should have able to clone and flip it so that it would be it's opposite. I mean that they did create right handed wrist watches. They should have been able to flip that image so that it would become a left handed wrist watch as well. :\
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    I was taught this too. My parents were born around the end of WW2 though, so it's an older thing, I think.

Watches were something typically passed down through families and it makes sense that people would want to protect them from nicks and dings by using them on the non-dominant wrist.

These days, with watches being more like show-pieces, or hi-tech helpers, they tend to be bought with no intention of passing them down.
  • Options
    AndygalAndygal Posts: 1,280 Member
    Nobody taught me which wrist to wear my watch on, I just wear it on my left wrist cause that's what feels comfortable to me. Also, I am blind in my right eye so it would be harder to look at my watch if it was on that side.
  • Options
    Andygal wrote: »
    Nobody taught me which wrist to wear my watch on, I just wear it on my left wrist cause that's what feels comfortable to me. Also, I am blind in my right eye so it would be harder to look at my watch if it was on that side.
    Well like I had said, all families are different with some differences in values to teach their children. So not everybody will be taught this by a member of their family. :)

• Options
    BadmagicBadmagic Posts: 1,610 Member
    Also it does depend on the age and location of the person, a teacher I had in primary school would smack the hands of left handed kids with a rule, and, I'm not 'that' old, was just a kind of horrific teacher.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Posts: 4,220 Member
    Badmagic wrote: »
    In real life I use a pocket watch, have since I was about 10 since I cannot abide anything around my wrist and refuse to own a mobile/cell phone since I was finally untethered from one I was required to carry for work many ears ago, I don't know why exactly I have such a strong aversion to them, just the way I am.

And another topic entirely, I will refrain from ranting about sims being born with a mobile/cell phone attached...

Anyway, I understand the reasons for them dropping the left/right handedness from the users choice, if I hear any more about the time it takes to animate etc... but, I will never understand, ever, why wristwatches and/or every bracelet etc for that matter aren't available for both left or write wrist, it gives you so much more in options if they would clone these objects and flip them, true it would be subtle but, I really feel it would help when diversifying individual sims.

Indeed.

• Options
    Badmagic wrote: »
    Also it does depend on the age and location of the person, a teacher I had in primary school would smack the hands of left handed kids with a rule, and, I'm not 'that' old, was just a kind of horrific teacher.
    I have heard that the school teachers there in England did that. But this is getting off topic, and we need to stay on topic. Otherwise this thread will get moved to Off Topic. :)

• Options
    AndygalAndygal Posts: 1,280 Member
    They did that stuff in North America too, it was more or less routine for left handed kids to be forced to learn to use their right hands up until like the 50s or 60s.