Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Worth it?

I've read a lot of reviews, both good and bad, about The Sims 4. I have all of The Sims 3 expansion packs and stuff packs and I love them! I was wondering if you guys think it's worth the buy or not?

Comments

• Options
    JoxerTM22JoxerTM22 Posts: 5,323 Member
    edited February 2015
    Said before and will say now again.
    Buy standard or limited edition on at least -25% discount. You can always upgrade it on deluxe if you like what you see.
    The game is well worth it and it's initial price was IMO overblown to epic proportions for no real reason.

Do not, and I mean this, do not buy GP or deluxe before you play the main game for a while. There is a chance you simply won't like the game and $30 ($10 deluxe upgrade, $20 GP) is not an ignorable sum to risk, I mean you can buy complete Mass Effect series for that cash!
  • Options
    vswinehartvswinehart Posts: 38 Member
    @JoxerTM22‌ they only have the deluxe on sale at the store D:
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    What's the discount percentage? If it's more than 25%, buy it!

EDIT:
    Wait, but Sims 4 is already -33% on Origin! I suggest buying it directly on Origin, unless your store offers a better bargain.
  • Options
    blueturtleotterblueturtleotter Posts: 867 Member
    edited February 2015
    I agree with the post above.

I loved The Sims 3 and had all the expacs too. I don't find the actual sim game play in the Sims 4 fun; it bores me to tears. The sims do not appear to be as intelligent as the ones in 3. For example, at the gym my sim went to the toilet and 4 - yes 4! - other sims came into the bathroom as he was doing his business and they all started having a conversation. And what did my sim do? Nothing!

In The Sims 3 he would have shouted at them to get out.

I made a sim with the traits glutton, slob and lazy, and added her to the town as an npc. Low and behold who is running on a treadmill at the gym when I go there? Her! Why would a sim who is a lazy, glutton, slob go to the gym unless directed by the player? The AI in The Sims 4 is incredibly poor and the traits do not seem to affect the sims' behaviour much at all.

On the plus side, the CAS is brilliant and the build mode is incredibly fun. At the moment all I do is make sims and build houses. I'm hoping they fix the game to a point where it becomes, for me, fun to play.

My advice: buy with caution and informed knowledge of what you are letting yourself in for. You may hate the game or be bitterly disappointed.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,555 Member
    The game never appealed to me, but I went ahead and bought it anyway. I just had to, or else I'd have been wondering what it was really like for ages and ages.

It doesn't really matter how many opinions you read, you can only decide properly by trying it yourself. So that's what I did.

I didn't get it through Origin, so I couldn't do the 24 hr return thing. But I don't mind all that much, it's ok and I do play it for short times now and again. It would be much improved with the addition of toddlers so we would no longer have babies leaping out of cribs and turning into children, and there are plenty of other things that could do with changing/improving. But it's not the worst game I've ever played :D

I won't be buying any more sims 4 add-ons/EPs/GPs etc until it improves to my liking, so - like Joxer said - it might be wise for you to try out the base game before splashing out any further.
  • Options
    I'm just nervous because if I don't like it, I'll be totally 🐸🐸🐸🐸 at myself for buying it at all, lol
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,555 Member
    vswinehart wrote: »
    I'm just nervous because if I don't like it, I'll be totally 🐸🐸🐸🐸 at myself for buying it at all, lol
    Well, if you bought it through Origin you could get a refund if you're quick enough.

If you don't mind taking a chance, you could get it cheaper elsewhere - depending on which country you are in. Eg. cdkeys has it for £28, or £30 for the Limited Edition (that's the one I bought).

• Options
    Proteus42Proteus42 Posts: 891 Member
    edited February 2015
    I agree with the post above.

I loved The Sims 3 and had all the expacs too. I don't find the actual sim game play in the Sims 4 fun; it bores me to tears. The sims do not appear to be as intelligent as the ones in 3. For example, at the gym my sim went to the toilet and 4 - yes 4! - other sims came into the bathroom as he was doing his business and stated having a conversation. And what did my sim do? Nothing!

Actually I had once the "Embarassed"-Emotion appear for 2 Sims because (at a house party) the one went to the toilet when the other already was in.
    But that was only once ... I had also cases where the Sim immediately left and caes where the Sim didn´t care for the other (not family) Sim in the toilet.

What I dislike more is the fact that your Sims don´t seem to care all too much for the deaths of friends.
    It can very well happen that at one day you look at your relationship list and have to discover that half of your friends turned to ghosts ... their deaths went by totally unnoticed by the Sim or myself ... no emotional reaction.
    Similarly a Sim can stand next to her dying parent and be totally unmoved ... even after she has pleaded for the parents life and Death has declined the wish.

TS 4 may have the potential to become a good part of the Sims-Series ... at the moment however it still seems to me like there is a lot of workj in progress. But as others said ... it would be best to just try it out ... aside from the WIP-parts, it also has its good sides ... for example the Multitasking
  • Options
    I think I'm going to hold off, but when they work out the kinks, I CANT WAIT :D
  • Options
    > @Proteus42 said:
    > blueturtleotter wrote: »
    >
    > I agree with the post above.
    >
    > I loved The Sims 3 and had all the expacs too. I don't find the actual sim game play in the Sims 4 fun; it bores me to tears. The sims do not appear to be as intelligent as the ones in 3. For example, at the gym my sim went to the toilet and 4 - yes 4! - other sims came into the bathroom as he was doing his business and stated having a conversation. And what did my sim do? Nothing!
    >
    > ...
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Actually I had once the "Embarassed"-Emotion appear for 2 Sims because (at a house party) the one went to the toilet when the other already was in.
    > But that was only once ... I had also cases where the Sim immediately left and caes where the Sim didn´t care for the other (not family) Sim in the toilet.
    >
    > What I dislike more is the fact that your Sims don´t seem to care all too much for the deaths of friends.
    > It can very well happen that at one day you look at your relationship list and have to discover that half of your friends turned to ghosts ... their deaths went by totally unnoticed by the Sim or myself ... no emotional reaction.
    > Similarly a Sim can stand next to her dying parent and be totally unmoved ... even after she has pleaded for the parents life and Death has declined the wish.
    >
    > TS 4 may have the potential to become a good part of the Sims-Series ... at the moment however it still seems to me like there is a lot of workj in progress. But as others said ... it would be best to just try it out ... aside from the WIP-parts, it also has its good sides ... for example the Multitasking

That alone makes me so upset. I want my sims to feel a certain way when tragic things are happening, not not caring at all D:
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    50% off is a fair price for the game. I wouldn't buy it for more than that. But it's entertaining, but be sure you know what you're getting as well. The animations have been cut way back even from Sims 3, and most definitely from Sims 2, and there are some really annoying bugs that have yet to be addressed.
  • Options
    IgnitedTobi1IgnitedTobi1 Posts: 926 Member
    I got it and I love it. I don't regret paying the 40 dollars for the base game and 20 for the game pack.
  • Options
    MegandtheMoonMegandtheMoon Posts: 1,831 Member
    It's a great game OP. I love it to bits!! Though, I feel I should warn you - since I've started playing TS4 I find I can't enjoy TS3 the same (and I loved it soooo much). I keep expecting them to be able to multi-task, etc., so I've found it a little frustrating. Just thought you should know how different they are! I had pretty much every EP too, and it's a shame I can't enjoy TS3 the same as before. (Although, if my computer could cope with both I would play them both happily!)

Happy simming! :mrgreen:
    tumblr_nh3ivhx9ob1rs61ydo1_500.gif
  • Options
    DarkLordSnugglesDarkLordSnuggles Posts: 57 Member
    I'm thoroughly enjoying myself in TS4, but I never played 3. I bought the premium version recently and it comes with all the updates. Wish I were playing now, actually. So close to owning a rocketship.
  • Options
    Angelllite7Angelllite7 Posts: 9,730 Member
    It seems people forget how dreadfully boring the sims 3 base game was.
  • Options
    blueasbutterflyblueasbutterfly Posts: 3,425 Member

I never forget that *other people* found it boring, because five years later they're still mad :D I didn't forget how boring it was for me, because I remember playing it pretty much every free minute I had and never got bored at all. Lots of good memories. Posts like this aren't going to change that.

OP, I deeply regret buying the sims 4 personally. I just feel like for the 4th in the series and for the prices they charged, it wasn't worth it. I thought it would be a major step forward like 2 and 3 were but it was more like The Sims 1.5 - I played it for more than 100 hours, and the entire time I was thinking, this can't be *it,* can it

But that's my opinion 100%. Check out reviews, forum threads, videos. Some people don't miss what's... um... missing. Other people love the graphics and the style much more than previous versions. I would say that the reception hasn't been good, especially compared to previous games - just try to get the best idea possible of what you're getting and not getting so you don't end up totally blindsided like those of us who preordered.
    toddlersig3_zps62792e0c.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2015

I'm sorry but... Count me out of that group. It actually wasn't boring for me.

Then again I came from Gothic and TES games where you learn how to explore openworlds and have fun just from exploration. I didn't buy Sims 3 and expect Open For Business - I bought it to experience more exploration.
    Sadly, Sims 4 is... Not explorable in such way.
  • Options
    natashifiednatashified Posts: 3,314 Member

It was super boring considering I played the base game for 2 1/2 years before I got an EP...
  • Options
    > @Angelllite7 said:
    > It seems people forget how dreadfully boring the sims 3 base game was.

I agree, it was boring but it also gave me a good feel about how the rest of the game was going to play out (with expansions and basic functions)
  • Options
    Ugh I don't wanna buy it but I wanna play just to make sims and build houses D:
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    I do love Sims 3. I loved the base game (which wasn't completely base as it had a lot of stuff patched in it by the time I was playing it). Honestly, most of the EPs I can take or leave. The ones I truly love -- Night Life and Seasons, I certainly didn't expect in Sims 4 base game.

The thing is with Sims 3, CASt is just huge for me. Not having a million loading screens is also pretty major as I often feel stuck on my home lot once those loading screens start getting longer in Sims 4.

I loved going to the park in Sims 3. I never had the issue of the park being empty. What neighborhood I lived in make a huge difference as well -- since travel was a factor, where I lived, what parks I visited, what clubs I went to, all of these were important decisions. I actually didn't like the insta-travel devices that were in the game. I liked the travel. I liked being able to cut down that travel time with nicer and nicer cars as my sims got richer.

It's the little details that I really liked in Sims 3 and that I miss in Sims 4.
  • Options
    mikmakermikmaker Posts: 2,145 Member
    Yes its worth the buy
  • Options
    Gnarl_LeeGnarl_Lee Posts: 1,014 Member
    omg, make up your own mind
  • Options
    Alysha1988Alysha1988 Posts: 3,452 Member
    I say if you have a lot of disposable cash to burn on whatever, then go for it, but if you are someone who has to be careful where their gaming dollars are spent I'd say wait, especially if you are currently very happy with ts3.
  • Options
    SkewedReality04SkewedReality04 Posts: 1,450 Member
    Try the free demo and form your own opinion. You're never gonna get a straight answer out of all these people with different opinions.