Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Building a house using just rooms

Hi Simmers!
I've really been having a lot of fun demolishing all the houses in the neighborhoods and building new houses using just rooms available both in game and on the gallery. I am really surprised how fun that is. Our sims get enough money to pick rooms that have fairly lavish furniture. I like plopping down a room and then a 2nd and than connecting the two using the traditional wall building tool. I was not at all happy with this new system when I first tried this game, but I seem to be having fun creating some interesting looking homes.

What about you guys and gals? How are you finding this new build method?
My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8

Comments

• Options
    sweetface44sweetface44 Posts: 2,958 Member
    got pictures
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Yep. It's fun doing it that way. I love the ability to pick up a room and move it if I need to....or pick up the whole house.
  • Options
    Rubycube86Rubycube86 Posts: 294 Member
    I built a really nice but small house using the basic rooms. Then I got rid of all the furniture, added my own furniture, tweeked it a bit, and it turned out good. It was so cozy.
  • Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    Very nice, love pictures, post more if you want.
  • Options
    SimsocitySimsocity Posts: 224 Member
    @Mstybl95: Oh my goodness gracious you are talented! Love the house so much!! :)
  • Options
    hotrod35075901hotrod35075901 Posts: 73 Member
    I think it looks great,
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,602 Member
    Your house is very nice! @Mstbyl95 :) The exterior of the home is very nice! Very nice roofing! The texture of the exterior is nice. It looks nice how you have done the front porch with the steps on the side of it. The plants look nice how you have placed them on the edges of the front fencing. Very nice furnishing of the interior of the home! The sunken living room looks great! It looks great how you have created the built in tv alcove! It looks great how you have the alcove placed between the steps. The larger candles are a nice touch in front of the tv alcove. It looks nice how you have the wall of bookcases. Sims will enjoy sitting resting on the sofa and armchair there, watching tv, reading a book and chatting. Nice eat in dining area in the kitchen. It looks great how you have an upper landing study desk area. The placement of the stairs looks great!
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    ha! i havent used rooms yet i thought prehaps your Op would be to challenge folks to build with just rooms :) i may have to try it, im currently getting ready for a new game so new build!
  • Options
    windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,375 Member
    got pictures

I haven't figured out how to post pictures yet. I use photo bucket, and they never seem to work for some reason. Since I haven't been able to post pictures, I don't even take them. But I'll try.
  • Options
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    I really like the new build mode. I'm still learning tricks. I don't really like building using the rooms. I was never able to do it and like the end result. I do like that I can save the rooms that I create, but then I can never figure out how to put them in a house again. LOL

I have recently been working on a house that I saw in a magazine. I was intrigued by it because it had some features that I absolutely love and that I would have known how to build easily in TS2 or TS3. Not having terrain tools can make it a bit complicated, but I figured it out and having the little touches that TS4 adds, I'm a lot more happy with the end product. There are, however, some issues with shadows and lighting, but I can live with it. I hope you don't mind me adding pics here.

02-10-15_6-01%C2%A0PM-2.png

02-10-15_6-02%C2%A0PM-2.png

02-10-15_6-03%C2%A0PM-2.png

02-10-15_6-04%C2%A0PM.png

Wow, very cool!

• Options
    ceejay402 wrote: »
    ha! i havent used rooms yet i thought prehaps your Op would be to challenge folks to build with just rooms :) i may have to try it, im currently getting ready for a new game so new build!

Well, sure why not! Go for it. But what do I give for people who do that? Is there usually a cookie or will a happy face do? :D

• Options
    windweaver wrote: »
    got pictures

I haven't figured out how to post pictures yet. I use photo bucket, and they never seem to work for some reason. Since I haven't been able to post pictures, I don't even take them. But I'll try.

Hello :) To post your photobucket pictures, copy the link code of your photo from photobucket , and then press the little file symbol that is above your post on the thread. Paste the photo code link there, then press enter. The photo link will then appear in your post. The picture will then appear when you press post comment.
    Sometimes simmers find it works better if you type some text into your post, post the post, and then edit in the photos.
    I hope that helps :)
  • Options
    babybunnymeisbabybunnymeis Posts: 78 Member
    @Mstybl95‌ Your house looks truly amazing! I love it! =)
  • Options
    IgnitedTobi1IgnitedTobi1 Posts: 926 Member
    That is the only way I can build since I am definitely not a builder. All my houses are either too big or too small or mishaped.
  • Options
    have2admithave2admit Posts: 2,246 Member
    This is from a different save than I'm playing now, so pics are not the greatest.

This is how it started out:

4fy6c0.jpg

Layout of the house. You can see the rooms are still on the front page of the Maxis rooms.

2jfhrio.jpg

Front of house.

am9p4k.jpg

Back of house.

2u7u2yb.jpg

This the only time I've just used rooms, but I like how it turned out. Just a simple, easy to play house for a single Sim. :D
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    have2admit wrote: »
    This is from a different save than I'm playing now, so pics are not the greatest.

This is how it started out:

4fy6c0.jpg

Layout of the house. You can see the rooms are still on the front page of the Maxis rooms.

2jfhrio.jpg

Front of house.

am9p4k.jpg

Back of house.

2u7u2yb.jpg

This the only time I've just used rooms, but I like how it turned out. Just a simple, easy to play house for a single Sim. :D

Love it!
  • Options
    The way you have used the rooms to create the home looks very nice! @have2admit :) They look very nice together. The house is a very nice home for sims to enjoy living in :)
  • Options
    JPG619JPG619 Posts: 460 Member
    Simsocity wrote: »
    @Mstybl95: Oh my goodness gracious you are talented! Love the house so much!! :)

I thinking the same thing. You did a really nice job on that house.
  • Options
    Sims4Junkie69Sims4Junkie69 Posts: 20 New Member
    i will post a few pics of my current house, once i have enough posts to do so.
  • Options
    zorba2357zorba2357 Posts: 6,103 Member
    I Finally finished my "Octagon House", first house I've built in sims 4. Took me forever too! I would definitely Not choose an octagon house for my first time again! I thought I was being creative.

14bovis.png

2mmfdyf.png

241mell.png

It's in the Gallery if anyone wants it. I've moved Elle and James from the gallery into it.

In the future maybe I will make a house using all rooms. I like the pre-made rooms but - it was a bit of trouble getting them to fit into an octagon corner! It took some learning and time for me to understand the new system of building in sims 4.
  • Options
    Your Octagon House is very nice! @zorba2357 :) The shape of the exterior is great! The blue patterned walls looks nice, and very nice blue colour scheme of the home. Nice armchairs and sofa sitting areas. Sims will enjoy sitting on the seats having a chat together or a read of a book. The tv watching area is nice. It looks nice how you have placed the side tables either sides of the sofa. The flowers on the side table are nice for sims to see whilst sitting there watching tv. It looks nice how you have placed the windows in the home.
    It is a very nice home :)
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    rosemow wrote: »
    windweaver wrote: »
    got pictures

Hello :) To post your photobucket pictures, copy the link code of your photo from photobucket , and then press the little file symbol that is above your post on the thread. Paste the photo code link there, then press enter. The photo link will then appear in your post. The picture will then appear when you press post comment.
    Sometimes simmers find it works better if you type some text into your post, post the post, and then edit in the photos.
    I hope that helps :)

Hi, thank you, I'll try again. lol, it's not the first time ;-)

• Options
    Is anyone else having problems with their prior post staying in the post box? I keep making comments, but the prior one is there from before, it's not disappearing. So strange.
  • Options
    MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    I am a terrible builder and decorator, so I like being able to plop down rooms that already have furniture. I'm not sure the outside of my house turns out any better than the old houses, but at least the individual rooms are nice.