Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Your thoughts - why Sims 4 isn't bestseller?

Comments

• Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    Vlaxitov wrote: »
    In reality my avatar looks more like a sim version

15xwwi8.jpg

of handsome squidward.

omg.jpg

I still say he looks like Mr. Clean to me. o:) Awesome job on him though. I love the torso.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    agent_bevagent_bev Posts: 1,313 Member
    JoxerTM22 wrote: »
    I bet you'll all agree with me on something:
    The game is not bad but is neither brilliant.

Okay, colton will say it's brilliant, but then again, he's minority. >:)
    On the other hand crap stuff like Flappy Bird... Or Candy Crush Saga... Horrible games are earning cash like crazy.

So why Sims 4, while mediocre and still obviously better than those rotten phonegames, why Sims 4 isn't bestseller?
    What went wrong?
    Why it doesn't have the same appeal as previous Sims games?

Just don't tell me it's lack of EPs, that's not what I'm asking for, we can discuss that in some other thread about how to keep game sales up during years.
    Let's talk about base game here please. Let's try to deduct why Sims 4 is not on top 10 bestselling games on PC in 2014.

I think the problem is it lacks mass appeal. I don't want to say it lacks appeal, because this game would be awesome for sims who love to make sim families and who love to build stuff, as well as simmers who love the RPG/ collecting aspect of the game. If we look at TS1/ TS2, it had a lot of freedom and really felt sandboxy, so anyone can take the game and make it their own. Whether you loved to build, create CC, tell stories or just play, the game was there for you. Because the game wasn't constantly being updated, it was easier for modders to come in and make the game just the way they liked it. When TS3 first came out, to me it had the same "brand new, shiny" feel to it as it did for TS2: TS2 had aging and better AI, TS3 had open world and even better AI. I know this is probably an unpopular opinion but I really enjoyed world adventures. You could go and do the RPG-y type stuff if you wanted, but to me it was so cool to go to Sim China to buy fireworks and set it off in my home, or explore Sim France and make wine that you could take home to show off in your cellar. Having such a wide variety of traits to choose from just made it that much more fun, plus I loved being able to customize the lifespan of my sims according to individual life stages- I had sims that just explored the sim world forever. Despite the greater emphasis on collectibles and completing tasks, it was still a sandbox and the game still appealed to the masses.

Enter TS4. They did think of the masses when they made it so it was playable on virtually every modern computer. I know they dropped the ball on the delay for Mac users, but it was a good business decision to drop that with the limitations forced upon them when you consider that OS users account for less than 8% of operating systems, and the fact that Mac users could always buy bootcamp to launch Windows on their computers. So far so good. The game is also more optimized, so they did learn from the bad that came with TS3. And how nice is it that the TS4 sims finally figured out how to walk around objects in front of them? Now, EA has to take SOME of the blame for rushing out what could have been a good game and for forcing online play in the beginning, but only some. For me, the bigger concern is that the Maxis team that dealt with the actual game play (so not graphics, not building, etc) seemed like it REALLY lacked diversity. Everything they decided to do appealed to the same group of people, from the sense of humor of the game, the RPG/ game achievement style to the focus on YA in this game. I don't enjoy the walk styles or the emotions, what I miss is how intimate the game used to feel. I started playing TS2 again, and it blew me away to think of how advanced their AI was for their time. I loved that when the Dad got a promotion, the daughter would run out of the house to hug and congratulate him. I love that when a snowman that someone built is knocked down, a random stranger would react to it (sims actually reacting to anything seems like such a strange concept after playing TS4). I love seeing one or two joggers stop by the front of my house per day without being intrusive. I have seen one or two things that made me chuckle or smile the first time I saw it happen in TS4, but it would be just for a little fleeting moment before it got old and boring. So, even for someone like me, who didn't mind the RPG aspect of TS3, who didn't mind the cheesy graphics even though it was not ideal, who was ready to shell out the money for my beloved franchise, TS4 got old fast and did not feel intimate at all.

With TS4, it just feels like they wanted new fans more than they wanted to keep the old fans, ie the ones who have shown time and again that they are willing to spend the money on this franchise. Oh, and it doesn't help that TS4 forces you to get Origin- I have seen quite a few people on other forums say that they would never get it because of this reason.

• Options
    VlaxitovVlaxitov Posts: 5,798 Member
    edited January 2015
    kremesch73 wrote: »
    In reality my avatar looks more like a sim version

15xwwi8.jpg

of handsome squidward.

omg.jpg

I still say he looks like Mr. Clean to me. o:) Awesome job on him though. I love the torso.

Well more like mr clean and handsome squidward had a baby.

• Options
    edited January 2015

He's actually kind of cute.
  • Options
    DariuDariu Posts: 3,120 Member
    the sims 4 isnt a best seller
    because they put a price tag of over $70.00
    for a base game which they claimed complete
    but has little to no content
    i mean if anything the trademark "going back to the roots"
    they meant it. they went back to The Sims 1 style but slightly less stuff in it.
    > n>
  • Options
    Dariu wrote: »
    they meant it. they went back to The Sims 1 style but slightly less stuff in it.
    > n>

It actually has more than S1 Base, but far less than 2 or 3.
  • Options
    fs747574fsfs747574fs Posts: 102 Member
    dreamerz13 wrote: »
    LOL. I can't even find sims 4 in the top 100 simulation PC games on amazon Canada. XD Obviously Amazon is not the most reliable source, I mean if it's 32 in PC games overall it should be there, but it's not. It's still amusing though.

Amazon's algorithm or whatever you call it, is arbitrary and erratic at best it seems. ;)

• Options

He's actually kind of cute.

Speaking of squidward, did you see the latest thing I'm fooling with?

If not I've posted it on my wall.

Sorry all for all the OT'ness, back to our regularly scheduled program.

• Options
    LOL. I can't even find sims 4 in the top 100 simulation PC games on amazon Canada. XD Obviously Amazon is not the most reliable source, I mean if it's 32 in PC games overall it should be there, but it's not. It's still amusing though.

Amazon has never been a reliable source.

Ever.

• Options
    > n>

It actually has more than S1 Base, but far less than 2 or 3.

:open_mouth: but Sims 1 basic has other lifestates
    and/or that creepy bunny or sad clown omnipotent creature that shares the same mysterious lineage with the Grim Reaper and so forth.
    do we have that in this game when people get depressed badly?
    Nay.

another reason why the sims 4 isnt doing well is
    the forums.
    i mean there are people that check the forums to see the community and join the community to feel swayed into buying and not
    but seeing the forums being run by an iron fist
    or better yet, a sledgehammer destroying opinions left and right.
    its hard to find the exact truths to the input of people...

• Options
    agent_bevagent_bev Posts: 1,313 Member
    fs747574fs wrote: »

Amazon's algorithm or whatever you call it, is arbitrary and erratic at best it seems. ;)

Agreed, but what isn't arbitrary is the recent EA earnings result. If you listen to the conference, they reference a list of their strong games (it even included SimCity BuildIt) that contributed to a really strong quarter, and I'm sure you can guess what game is missing from that list.
  • Options
    Had they brought bigfoot back instead of the bear with the camping pack, I may have actually been tempted to buy it.
  • Options
    DDOAndoraDDOAndora Posts: 245 Member
    Ayumap wrote: »
    Anavastia wrote: »
    Ayumap wrote: »
    Kittenkiss wrote: »
    Bamajam wrote: »
    The price
    Seems like the game is aiming for younger demographic but misjudged how much they would pay for a game that involves multitasking and prolonged concentration that doesn't include car chases, zombie killing, loud noises, gunfire, etc...

I dunno about that....kids love Minecraft, and whilst there are zombies and whatnot, majority of the time my kidlets are building stuff. They'd play all day, given the opportunity. However, neither of them are interested in Sims.

I get the point you're making and I agree. The thing about Minecraft though is it's cheap (12 bucks), you can create any world you want on any type of land you want, it updates constantly, there are tons of mini games created for it, tons of solo & multi-player playability, and tons of mods that can add story play, new bosses, crafting items and all sorts of other things and just... like it feels like the player sets the limit.

I'm so happy that that is a game that so many children and adults enjoy because it's great fuel for a creative mind.

I feel like Maxis did want to hit a younger demo with the marketing they did do for the Sims 4 but that they really failed to hit what people in general wanted/want.(Ignoring the fact there just wasn't much marketing in general) To be quite honest most of the kids who play the sims 4 or have tried the sims 4 probably got introduced through family members who played the sims or youtubers who post videos of gaming. Gaming channels are huge. Hundreds of thousands to millions of people subscribing and viewing.

Community fuels this game and Maxis seems like they're a bit too arrogant to realize that.

(Also, to clarify; I'm not trying to argue against anyone. It's just the points you both brought up made me think to type this out because it's been on my mind.)

Minecraft is not 12 bucks i know because i own my own server for it.

it is 26 dollars a pop per account
    . I had to by one for me and my 4 kids. However i was lucking to get my minecraft when it was in alpha for 5 dollars. ^ ^ worth every penny both prices.

My children love that game as do I. The modding community is what really props it up. Equally my kids are sms players because their mom is.

I believe that EA has it all wrong with this target business. My kids love sims because i love sims. The type of gamer i am they will adapt and grow from. My kids don't like sims 4 and again the reason why they can't do the same stuff they could do with sims 2.

They love sims 2 they're favorite game. So it's just a situation of gameplay and when you give them broader experience the more fun they have the more they understand gaming. For me EA missed that with both young and old. Really missed the fact that new audience comes from their older players. Grandparents, sisters, brothers, friends, mothers, fathers we play with our kids and enjoy and we influence them licking it and bring the new generation. they're sales are from us so wouldn't it mean that you should be working to make the playerbase you have happy. Not chasing after a ghost market that doesn't exist.

I think in honesty when it comes to sims we simmers all of us are the trend lol.

Hm, sorry then! I thought I bought it for 12 dollars. I bought it last year because my oldest niece wanted to play with me (she lives states away) and I wanted to do something with her since I hadn't seen her in 2 years. Still! 12 or 26 dollars I had a fun time lol I just remembered for sure that the price felt low / fair to me.

And I agree, sims are something anyone can enjoy young or old.

Now that Microsoft Minecraft, expect to be price-cauched soon.

Not so far. Microsoft just had a FREE patch that gave my grandson on the xbox everything that he loves from his moms PC Minecraft. Even the texture packs are staying the same price. I do think they will be doing a Minecraft 2 though. The price will be more in line with other games then. :|

• Options
    dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member

It really is. Which was part of the point to posting that (aside from a bit of amusement, accurate or not it's kind of funny, depending what side you're on regarding TS4). Like it's all over the place. And the fact that non-games crept into the games only list. It's not really to be taken seriously.
  • Options
    agent_bev wrote: »

Agreed, but what isn't arbitrary is the recent EA earnings result. If you listen to the conference, they reference a list of their strong games (it even included SimCity BuildIt) that contributed to a really strong quarter, and I'm sure you can guess what game is missing from that list.

Indeed. ;)

• Options

It really is. Which was part of the point to posting that (aside from a bit of amusement, accurate or not it's kind of funny, depending what side you're on regarding TS4). Like it's all over the place. And the fact that non-games crept into the games only list. It's not really to be taken seriously.

Nope, not really. Amazon needs a better system, and they've needed it for a while. Then again, a lot of things about Amazon bug me.

• Options
    HaskorentaroHaskorentaro Posts: 250 Member
    Had they brought bigfoot back instead of the bear with the camping pack, I may have actually been tempted to buy it.

It's not even a bear but a person in a bear suit. So much fail
    tumblr_n5aovvMXfM1rwvdy0o1_500.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    :open_mouth: but Sims 1 basic has other lifestates
    and/or that creepy bunny or sad clown omnipotent creature that shares the same mysterious lineage with the Grim Reaper and so forth.
    do we have that in this game when people get depressed badly?
    Nay.

another reason why the sims 4 isnt doing well is
    the forums.
    i mean there are people that check the forums to see the community and join the community to feel swayed into buying and not
    but seeing the forums being run by an iron fist
    or better yet, a sledgehammer destroying opinions left and right.
    its hard to find the exact truths to the input of people...

The bunny came with the pets EP. Even with EPs, it has no toddlers and children never age. Mine all go to military school to never be seen again if/when I choose to have them, which is almost never due to their uselessness. Also, if one sim upsets another in a household enough to make them leave, they're gone for good. They don't go into the bin so you can play them again later. They just leave the game entirely, never to be seen again. There is no townie bin. This isn't to say I disagree that S4 is lacking. I'm just saying it has more than the S1 base when I consider wall and floor patterns, lack of roof styles (it's all auto and you have no choice), lack of platforms, lack of aging, lack of choices, lack of socializing. They can't socialize while doing any activity at all. I still play it. Even with EPs much of what's possible in S4 is not possible in S1.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Another reason why The Sims 4 isnt a best seller is because it is intertwined to "The 23 Enigma"

where everything is directly sourced to the number 23.
    e.g. Ceasar was stabbed 23 times
    and etc. etc. etc. etc.

How doe The Sims 4 Correlates to The 23 Enigma you ask?
    Simple.

Sims 4 was released in 2/9/2014
    9 + 2 = 11
    2014 + 11 = 2025

and the first sims was released in 4/2/2000
    4 + 2 = 6
    2000 + 6 = 2006

soo lets do the maths from hence forth

2025 - 2006 = 19

and now we add the current anniversary that is forthcoming which is 15

19 + 15 = 34

and deduct it by the total 26 expansion packs (not including stuff packs)

26 - 34 = 8

and we add the new never before approach the sims had taken for the first time with a "game pack"

and 8 + 1 game pack = 9

and we add the years it took from the sims 1 release to the sims 4 release

and we get 14

so 9 + 14 = 23

Hence why the Sims 4 is directly intertwined with The 23 Enigma

Spooky right?

My Mathematical calculations are correct
    and im asian
    trust me on my maths

:3

@‌LaAbby
    @colton147‌
    Post edited by Dariu on
  • Options
    Another reason why The Sims 4 isnt a best seller is because it is intertwined to "The 23 Enigma"

and etc. etc. etc. etc.

Simple.

9 + 2 = 11
    2014 + 11 = 2025

4 + 2 = 6
    2000 + 6 = 2006

2025 - 2006 = 19

19 + 15 = 34

26 - 34 = 8

and we add the new never before approach the sims had taken for the first time with a "game pack"

and 8 + 1 game pack = 9

and we get 14

so 9 + 14 = 23

Spooky right?

and im asian
    trust me on my maths

@‌Leabby
    @colton147‌

Oh get off that 23! *pllbbbs* <—messily spits at you. I saw that post!

Numbers mean nothing! Nothing! Nothing at all!
  • Options
    LaAbbyLaAbby Posts: 3,742 Member

and etc. etc. etc. etc.

Simple.

9 + 2 = 11
    2014 + 11 = 2025

4 + 2 = 6
    2000 + 6 = 2006

2025 - 2006 = 19

19 + 15 = 34

26 - 34 = 8

and 8 + 1 game pack = 9

and we get 14

so 9 + 14 = 23

Spooky right?

and im asian
    trust me on my maths

@‌Leabby
    @colton147‌

Um, it's actually La*Abby not Le ...

And omg this is like all the illuminati youtube comments
  • Options
    Crunchie885Crunchie885 Posts: 529 Member

and etc. etc. etc. etc.

Simple.

9 + 2 = 11
    2014 + 11 = 2025

4 + 2 = 6
    2000 + 6 = 2006

2025 - 2006 = 19

19 + 15 = 34

26 - 34 = 8

and 8 + 1 game pack = 9

and we get 14

so 9 + 14 = 23

Spooky right?

and im asian
    trust me on my maths

@‌Leabby
    @colton147‌

What in the illuminati!?
    tumblr_mk9mkaI6oX1qedsa8o1_500.gif
  • Options

and etc. etc. etc. etc.

Simple.

9 + 2 = 11
    2014 + 11 = 2025

4 + 2 = 6
    2000 + 6 = 2006

2025 - 2006 = 19

19 + 15 = 34

26 - 34 = 8

and 8 + 1 game pack = 9

and we get 14

so 9 + 14 = 23

Spooky right?

and im asian
    trust me on my maths

@‌Leabby
    @colton147‌

Oh get off that 23! *pllbbbs* <—messily spits at you. I saw that post!

Numbers mean nothing! Nothing! Nothing at all!

perhaps its nothing at all..
    ...perhaps its everything.

*added dramatic effect in background as the camera zooms focus on me and a dramatic background music is added*
  • Options

and etc. etc. etc. etc.

Simple.

9 + 2 = 11
    2014 + 11 = 2025

4 + 2 = 6
    2000 + 6 = 2006

2025 - 2006 = 19

19 + 15 = 34

26 - 34 = 8

and 8 + 1 game pack = 9

and we get 14

so 9 + 14 = 23

Spooky right?

and im asian
    trust me on my maths

@‌Leabby
    @colton147‌

What in the illuminati!?
    tumblr_mk9mkaI6oX1qedsa8o1_500.gif

actually
    the guy mispelled
    its "Illuminutty"
    a secret society that hides the truth behind the origin of peanut butter
    which was created by the wife of Abraham Lincoln
    but before he can come up with a name for it.
    John Wilkes Booth got hold of the plan and shot him...
    and in hopes to contain the secret and bring the north and the south together
    it wasnt somewhere down the presidency that a predecessor got wind of a genius african american inventor by the name of George Washington Carver who invented many things using peanuts..
    excluding peanut butter
    and so they planted a peanut butter jar at his home for him to take credit for the invention
    in order to bring the south and the north together
    since all americans love peanut butter (except those unfortunate to be allergic to it)
    and ever since... the Illuminutty guards that secret
    to prevent anyone from knowing.
  • Options
    KhyanLeikasKhyanLeikas Posts: 857 Member
    edited January 2015

and etc. etc. etc. etc.

Simple.

9 + 2 = 11
    2014 + 11 = 2025

4 + 2 = 6
    2000 + 6 = 2006

2025 - 2006 = 19

19 + 15 = 34

26 - 34 = 8

and 8 + 1 game pack = 9

and we get 14

so 9 + 14 = 23

Spooky right?

and im asian
    trust me on my maths

@‌LaAbby
    @colton147‌

It's because you're so bored in this jail you're doing that? B)