Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Your thoughts - why Sims 4 isn't bestseller?

Comments

• Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    Dariu wrote: »
    perhaps its nothing at all..
    ...perhaps its everything.

*added dramatic effect in background as the camera zooms focus on me and a dramatic background music is added*

*rolls a cherry on the tongue*

Huh? Were you talking to me?

*taxi cab scene*

I don't see anyone else here... You must be talking to me.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    Didn't read the whole thread, but wanted to just pop in and say... it's the friggin' patches. MAKE THEM OPTIONAL and SEPARATE THEM FROM ADD-ON FEATURES grrrrrr!
  • Options
    yunagarnetyunagarnet Posts: 417 Member
    Whether you like or dislike the game, I think we can all agree that the game would have been a hella alot better if they would have just took the time and made the game from scratch like they should have. Most of the problems would have been solved and I think we would have all been a lot happier.
    “Honestly, we didn’t meet player expectations at launch, and that was a difficult pill to swallow,” - The Sims 4 executive producer, Rachel Franklin.
  • Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    fs747574fs wrote: »
    Evalen wrote: »
    hihi122122 wrote: »
    @Evalen -- sims 3 was also accused of having nearly the same RPG elements. Personally, I don't classify any of the sims games as RPGs. If anything, the sims is a virtual dollhouse :D

I always love it when someone calls the sims a virtual dollhouse. I think that I love the sims so much because when I was twelve my mother said I was to old for my dollhouse that I had. She put it in the basement, I would sneak down there and play with it.
    When my grand daughter gave me the Sims 1 for a present, I was in my glory, my beloved dollhouse was back, only this time it was alive.
    I know this is silly, but that is ok. Sims are silly anyway. Maybe I have the Childish trait. :) We all have reasons we play. I love the Sims.

@Evalen I love this story. <3

Thanks, They say we all have reasons we like to play. I love the Sims they are so much fun and gives me a lot of joy. they make me laugh and have fun.

• Options
    fs747574fsfs747574fs Posts: 102 Member
    fs747574fs wrote: »
    hihi122122 wrote: »
    @Evalen -- sims 3 was also accused of having nearly the same RPG elements. Personally, I don't classify any of the sims games as RPGs. If anything, the sims is a virtual dollhouse :D

I always love it when someone calls the sims a virtual dollhouse. I think that I love the sims so much because when I was twelve my mother said I was to old for my dollhouse that I had. She put it in the basement, I would sneak down there and play with it.
    When my grand daughter gave me the Sims 1 for a present, I was in my glory, my beloved dollhouse was back, only this time it was alive.
    I know this is silly, but that is ok. Sims are silly anyway. Maybe I have the Childish trait. :) We all have reasons we play. I love the Sims.

@Evalen I love this story. <3

Thanks, They say we all have reasons we like to play. I love the Sims they are so much fun and gives me a lot of joy. they make me laugh and have fun.

You're welcome @Evalen. :) Your reasons are pretty much the same reasons I love the game. Happy simming, Evalen.
  • Options
    AnnePlaysAnnePlays Posts: 2,504 Member
    Limitations and restrictive gameplay,

Rebuild the game from scratch, instead of recycling the game that was originally meant for a Sims MMO idea (which was a terrible idea btw)
    muscle_gumball_by_vanillycake-d4a9ida.png
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    Another reason why The Sims 4 isnt a best seller is because it is intertwined to "The 23 Enigma"

where everything is directly sourced to the number 23.
    e.g. Ceasar was stabbed 23 times
    and etc. etc. etc. etc.

How doe The Sims 4 Correlates to The 23 Enigma you ask?
    Simple.

Sims 4 was released in 2/9/2014
    9 + 2 = 11
    2014 + 11 = 2025

and the first sims was released in 4/2/2000
    4 + 2 = 6
    2000 + 6 = 2006

soo lets do the maths from hence forth

2025 - 2006 = 19

and now we add the current anniversary that is forthcoming which is 15

19 + 15 = 34

and deduct it by the total 26 expansion packs (not including stuff packs)

26 - 34 = 8

and we add the new never before approach the sims had taken for the first time with a "game pack"

and 8 + 1 game pack = 9

and we add the years it took from the sims 1 release to the sims 4 release

and we get 14

so 9 + 14 = 23

Hence why the Sims 4 is directly intertwined with The 23 Enigma

Spooky right?

My Mathematical calculations are correct
    and im asian
    trust me on my maths

:3

@‌Leabby
    @colton147‌

What in the illuminati!?
    tumblr_mk9mkaI6oX1qedsa8o1_500.gif

actually
    the guy mispelled
    its "Illuminutty"
    a secret society that hides the truth behind the origin of peanut butter
    which was created by the wife of Abraham Lincoln
    but before he can come up with a name for it.
    John Wilkes Booth got hold of the plan and shot him...
    and in hopes to contain the secret and bring the north and the south together
    it wasnt somewhere down the presidency that a predecessor got wind of a genius african american inventor by the name of George Washington Carver who invented many things using peanuts..
    excluding peanut butter
    and so they planted a peanut butter jar at his home for him to take credit for the invention
    in order to bring the south and the north together
    since all americans love peanut butter (except those unfortunate to be allergic to it)
    and ever since... the Illuminutty guards that secret
    to prevent anyone from knowing.
    No its not and if you don't know who they are why are you trying to tell other people about them?

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    Starglitters9909Starglitters9909 Posts: 2,524 Member
    After playing the sims 2 and 3 this game just didn't make the grade. Look at all the things they stripped out of the game. Too me it's like going way back to the sims 1. I just wish they had taken the best of the sims 2 and 3 and improved on them. Then they would have had a game that would have sold and been fun to play.
    6cca377d-2512-4319-9ce5-8f4c646cf7f8_zpsa768ec53.jpg
  • Options
    DariuDariu Posts: 3,120 Member
    Another reason why The Sims 4 isnt a best seller is because it is intertwined to "The 23 Enigma"

where everything is directly sourced to the number 23.
    e.g. Ceasar was stabbed 23 times
    and etc. etc. etc. etc.

How doe The Sims 4 Correlates to The 23 Enigma you ask?
    Simple.

Sims 4 was released in 2/9/2014
    9 + 2 = 11
    2014 + 11 = 2025

and the first sims was released in 4/2/2000
    4 + 2 = 6
    2000 + 6 = 2006

soo lets do the maths from hence forth

2025 - 2006 = 19

and now we add the current anniversary that is forthcoming which is 15

19 + 15 = 34

and deduct it by the total 26 expansion packs (not including stuff packs)

26 - 34 = 8

and we add the new never before approach the sims had taken for the first time with a "game pack"

and 8 + 1 game pack = 9

and we add the years it took from the sims 1 release to the sims 4 release

and we get 14

so 9 + 14 = 23

Hence why the Sims 4 is directly intertwined with The 23 Enigma

Spooky right?

My Mathematical calculations are correct
    and im asian
    trust me on my maths

:3

@‌Leabby
    @colton147‌

What in the illuminati!?
    tumblr_mk9mkaI6oX1qedsa8o1_500.gif

actually
    the guy mispelled
    its "Illuminutty"
    a secret society that hides the truth behind the origin of peanut butter
    which was created by the wife of Abraham Lincoln
    but before he can come up with a name for it.
    John Wilkes Booth got hold of the plan and shot him...
    and in hopes to contain the secret and bring the north and the south together
    it wasnt somewhere down the presidency that a predecessor got wind of a genius african american inventor by the name of George Washington Carver who invented many things using peanuts..
    excluding peanut butter
    and so they planted a peanut butter jar at his home for him to take credit for the invention
    in order to bring the south and the north together
    since all americans love peanut butter (except those unfortunate to be allergic to it)
    and ever since... the Illuminutty guards that secret
    to prevent anyone from knowing.
    No its not and if you don't know who they are why are you trying to tell other people about them?

*le gasp*

*dramatic background music to add tension as a cliche thunder strikes in the background whilst the camera zooms in for close up and the lights turn dark*

-points finger at the person-

I..I-Illuminatus!

• Options
    LittleMinxUndrLittleMinxUndr Posts: 4,196 Member
    innit_doe wrote: »
    there is no family play, doe
    That's just not true.
  • Options
    innit_doe wrote: »
    there is no family play, doe

Did you say your family can't play, well take them to the park for heaven sake, not having any fun is kind of sad.

• Options
    Vlaxitov wrote: »
    I understand why people like minecraft, I just can't get past the graphics to even bring myself to play it.

Is that the game that looks like lego's

• Options
    kremesch73 wrote: »

I'd never classify it as a virtual dollhouse. Barbie and Ken received virtually no love from me.

They did not have Barbie and Ken in my days. Now I did get them for my daughter when they came out. They replaced paperdolls to me. I am sure you are to young to remember these.
  • Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    I understand why people like minecraft, I just can't get past the graphics to even bring myself to play it.

I know that if I played Minecraft I'd be instantly addicted! I think the reason why that game is successful is for one main reason: it gives people the freedom to be creative. This is the reason I like The Sims. I do think The Sims 4 developers should ensure they prioritise the creative needs of the individuals who play it. They should give us more tools, more choice.

A good example to use is build mode. While they have advanced certain areas, and they really have! Other things still feel very restrictive to me. They could develop build mode to improve the freedom of the builder by allowing multiple wall and foundation heights, allowing building more than 3 levels high, adding basements, allowing us to delete single individual floor tiles, allowing us to tile the ceiling....

The options that are there are good. I think they need to work on the areas that feel restricting.
  • Options
    LittleMinxUndrLittleMinxUndr Posts: 4,196 Member

I'd never classify it as a virtual dollhouse. Barbie and Ken received virtually no love from me.

They did not have Barbie and Ken in my days. Now I did get them for my daughter when they came out. They replaced paperdolls to me. I am sure you are to young to remember these.
    Oh! Dress-up Sara! She was a cardboard cut-out and you got a box full of folding-lips paper-clothes! I was too young to truly remember the introduction of Barbie, but I did have enough other plastic dolls. However, when you went to school in those days, you had a strong headwind while going uphill both ways and it always rained...

• Options
    GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    edited January 2015

I know that if I played Minecraft I'd be instantly addicted! I think the reason why that game is successful is for one main reason: it gives people the freedom to be creative. This is the reason I like The Sims. I do think The Sims 4 developers should ensure they prioritise the creative needs of the individuals who play it. They should give us more tools, more choice.

A good example to use is build mode. While they have advanced certain areas, and they really have! Other things still feel very restrictive to me. They could develop build mode to improve the freedom of the builder by allowing multiple wall and foundation heights, allowing building more than 3 levels high, adding basements, allowing us to delete single individual floor tiles, allowing us to tile the ceiling....

The options that are there are good. I think they need to work on the areas that feel restricting.

@Cinderellimouse, I so agree with you. One of the things that I've loved about The Sims series for years is the fact that I can pretty much use it as a creative tool. From TS1 - 3 those creative tools only got better and better. Maybe that's why I loved 3 so much. In terms of creativity, that's really the peak of the series, IMHO. I guess another reason why I was let down by 4 was because I expected that trend to continue. But, it really hasn't. There are new tools in CAS and build mode which are nice, but at the same time both modes feel more restrictive than they did in 3. It's beyond just the lack of CAST, it's the lack of terrain tools, the lack of basements, the fact that we don't have as much space to build, etc.

I really hope that we see more creative tools for the game in the future. It just seems strange that they increased the amount of freedom that they gave with each game before, and then they kind of took most of it away. I hope that they think about the creative players, the family players, and the others who feel that their playstyles have been restricted when they make their future updates. We've given them feedback, now I just hope that they listen and that they're able to implement some of those things that will allow players to feel more connected to the game.
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Options
    the sims 4 isnt a best seller
    because they put a price tag of over $70.00
    for a base game which they claimed complete
    but has little to no content
    i mean if anything the trademark "going back to the roots"
    they meant it. they went back to The Sims 1 style but slightly less stuff in it.
    > n>

It actually has more than S1 Base, but far less than 2 or 3.

:open_mouth: but Sims 1 basic has other lifestates
    and/or that creepy bunny or sad clown omnipotent creature that shares the same mysterious lineage with the Grim Reaper and so forth.
    do we have that in this game when people get depressed badly?
    Nay.

another reason why the sims 4 isnt doing well is
    the forums.
    i mean there are people that check the forums to see the community and join the community to feel swayed into buying and not
    but seeing the forums being run by an iron fist
    or better yet, a sledgehammer destroying opinions left and right.
    its hard to find the exact truths to the input of people...

What ever they do and what ever they add like they have in all the Sims, starting with less and adding more as time goes on.
    I pray that they never add that creepy bunny or sad clown, that has to be the worst things they ever put in Sims.
    can't even imagine anyone wanting that back.

Funny I have never in all the games checked the forum or any forum to buy any game. Ad yes, forum no.
    I never even went to the forum until the sims 3, and that was just to share. Glad I didn't go before it came out. this is the first forum that I have been on before a game came out and maybe the last time.

We all like different things, I do not go by what someone else dislikes or likes, if I did I would never have the things that I like, only the things that others like. I would miss out on a lot of things that I like.

Some people do not like to paint or write. If I had listened to them, I would not have the enjoyment of painting, and I would not now have a novel published or a devotional published and I would not be having the enjoyment of now writing my new mystery novel.
    I know what I like to do and I know what I don't like to do and it has nothing to do with anyone else likes or dislikes.

it reminds me of school, girls are friends in a group and if one girl dislikes another they expect everyone in the group to dislike her to. I have never been that way in my whole life. I judge things by what they are or who they are. Same thing goes for games. I judge it for what I like about it not what others like about it. Someone mentioned Mindcraft, for me I do not like the lego look. but for others they like that.

• Options
    AnavastiaAnavastia Posts: 6,515 Member

Not quite it's blocks and it's fun.

2013-02-24_104241_zpsb9e842c0.jpg

I made that with the blocks in minecraft

You can play and enjoy just a number of mods with it or play vanilla build, explore, survive. You pick. It's just a lot of fun to play and really sandbox time game no rules at all, no wrong way to enjoy minecraft.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    I think building and crafting games are big time trending because of something else. It creates a different type of generation of gamers though. Young kids willing to adventure and find parts to make something. Actually having the patience to do so.

So yeah you can get really creative with the game but the more tools are at your disposal the more you can do. Which i think EA should get into with sims.

The other side is crafting and that is taking items you find to build and make things. Sims can also offer this appeal strongly too. Cinderellemouse gave a lot of ideas as well did I in the sims 3 forums of how fun that would be if they opened opportunities for simmers to be able to craft things for a living and sell them.

I mean just like in how they have where you cut down trees to hand craft furniture. What would have been great is if players could have made unique designs of which people buy them off the exchange for simoleons. Then that sim gets the money for it along with money in game. See to me that's keeping up to date with the generation of gaming. Fleshing out the game to provide better and more optional play.

Sims 4 just doesn't do that, it's very limiting across the board on all play styles. I really think that is why it's failing in appeal. What people know is that there is a lot you can't do with the game. To take the game and make it lot by lot load in a time period where open world is ever increasingly popular. Again im not sure EA is actually understanding it's pc market right now. I think the eyes are to heavily focused elsewhere.
    Post edited by Anavastia on
  • Options
    SummersBuffSummersBuff Posts: 74 Member
    Just how much has TS4 sold?

A lot of good points have been made in this thread. The franchise has headed in a direction to capture younger fans. My cousin is 12 and loves TS as much as I do, only she hates TS4! She prefers 2 & 3, but mainly 2. It doesn't matter how old you are you cannot deny a good Sim game when you play it.

Ultimately the game is missing many successful components that present in the past without adding anything to really push the series gameplay forward. I appreciate what they've done with CAS as I do believe it is the only portion of the game where you can be semi creative (I say semi because it's lacking color wheel).

The base game should be a complete base game. The Sims 3 base game had me very pleased, even with the bugs (the time bug was ruthless). True the base game was not perfect, but it was still a game to me. Ts4 is just a screen with sims on it. Simmers look towards this franchise to have ambition and innovation and Ts4 lacks both.
  • Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    They took out everything we loved the most out of the game. That's why it never will be best sim game ever. The only thing better in this game are the sims themselves.
  • Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    Anavastia wrote: »
    I think building and crafting games are big time trending because of something else. It creates a different type of generation of gamers though. Young kids willing to adventure and find parts to make something. Actually having the patience to do so.

So yeah you can get really creative with the game but the more tools are at your disposal the more you can do. Which i think EA should get into with sims.

The other side is crafting and that is taking items you find to build and make things. Sims can also offer this appeal strongly too. Cinderellemouse gave a lot of ideas as well did I in the sims 3 forums of how fun that would be if they opened opportunities for simmers to be able to craft things for a living and sell them.

I mean just like in how they have where you cut down trees to hand craft furniture. What would have been great is if players could have made unique designs of which people buy them off the exchange for simoleons. Then that sim gets the money for it along with money in game. See to me that's keeping up to date with the generation of gaming. Fleshing out the game to provide better and more optional play.

Sims 4 just doesn't do that, it's very limiting across the board on all play styles. I really think that is why it's failing in appeal. What people know is that there is a lot you can't do with the game. To take the game and make it lot by lot load in a time period where open world is ever increasingly popular. Again im not sure EA is actually understanding it's pc market right now. I think the eyes are to heavily focused elsewhere.

Hi @Anavastia! :)

That is an interesting idea! I like the thought of dealing in simoleans or maybe aspiration points. Not real money.

I was just thinking that since we don't have CASt for TS4, it would be good if they added in an official custom design tool. Something like we had with sims.wikia.com/wiki/Body_Shop"]Bodyshop for TS2. If it was official, and linked to the gallery, it would be a way to safely share cc with other players. 'Official' custom content.

I'm just thinking a simple tool which opens up something like the in-game create a sim. Then you choose the item you want to make a recolour of and choose 'clone' and then 'export'. You'd probably need a third party program to edit the image. Then you'd 'import' the image and be able to see it modelled on your sim. It's pretty straight forward, but would give simmers an opportunity to customise clothing (and maybe objects) and share it on the gallery.

I was against sharing cc on the gallery at first, but if it can only be uploaded using an official tool, and was very safe, I think this would be an interesting idea.

Of course... if people don't want to use online features, they could still use the program to make recolours for their own games. I enjoyed doing this for TS1 and TS2 but find it confusing to use the existing TS4 third party tools at the moment. (Just adding that modders and the people who do make these tools are amazing and I can't praise them enough. Obviously the programs they make do work, it's just I think an official tool could be more approachable for the average player).
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member

That is an interesting idea! I like the thought of dealing in simoleans or maybe aspiration points. Not real money.

I was just thinking that since we don't have CASt for TS4, it would be good if they added in an official custom design tool. Something like we had with sims.wikia.com/wiki/Body_Shop"]Bodyshop for TS2. If it was official, and linked to the gallery, it would be a way to safely share cc with other players. 'Official' custom content.

I'm just thinking a simple tool which opens up something like the in-game create a sim. Then you choose the item you want to make a recolour of and choose 'clone' and then 'export'. You'd probably need a third party program to edit the image. Then you'd 'import' the image and be able to see it modelled on your sim. It's pretty straight forward, but would give simmers an opportunity to customise clothing (and maybe objects) and share it on the gallery.

I was against sharing cc on the gallery at first, but if it can only be uploaded using an official tool, and was very safe, I think this would be an interesting idea.

Of course... if people don't want to use online features, they could still use the program to make recolours for their own games. I enjoyed doing this for TS1 and TS2 but find it confusing to use the existing TS4 third party tools at the moment. (Just adding that modders and the people who do make these tools are amazing and I can't praise them enough. Obviously the programs they make do work, it's just I think an official tool could be more approachable for the average player).

Great idea as a compromise <3
  • Options
    edited January 2015

This also brings in some other fun gameplay for simmers as well.

That is a clothing store and crafting stores and other specialty stores that simmers love. I mean who doesn't want to try having a fashion run away and show case their designs to be on the exchange and simmers can have fun and place them in a clothing store where they make simoleons. I means there's a lot of options to open up for this.

Jewelers, Clothing Store, Fresh food markets, toy stores, shoe store, furniture stores, car dealerships, etc.

Look at the careers it could open up for simmers to play. gem cutter and jewelry maker, fashion designer, farmer and farm hand, toy maker, shoe cobbler, carpenter, mechanic, etc.

All these can be attached to some sort of body shop tool that be connected to the exchange and gives variety for all the simmers. Hell we can even connect to customizing hair and what not and have the career beautyshop etc.

I was saying that a long time ago that through crafting and hands on careers sims 4 does have potential to be a very enjoyable game. If EA is willing to meet fans and get it there. I can only give ideas as can you and hope they like them.

• Options
    SpradaciSprojSpradaciSproj Posts: 1,272 Member
    EA disrespected their long-standing supporters. We were tossed aside while they went searching for ways to attract new gamers. Rather than appreciating the fans who made The Sims a successful franchise, EA chose to focus on what THEY thought would be profitable. They took out much of the imaginative "sandbox" style of play and replaced it with dull, boring, repetitive "to-do" lists, statistics, and achievements.

Worst of all, the game took a giant step backward. Newer versions of games are expected to have more options, more creative content, more possibilities. Instead, we got less than we had in previous games. After a game with infants, toddlers, teens, (young adults - after the addition of University), adults, and elders -- all noticeably different from one another -- we're expected to pay more and jump for joy to have baby/objects that are tied to cribs, children, and sims who remain virtually unchanged from teen to adult age. We've lost private schools, NPCs, many careers, chance cards that really were "chances", an attraction system, likes, dislikes, compatibility, interests, real memories, photo albums, toddlers, favorites such as foods and colors, shopping venues, the ability to create new neighborhoods, the ability to add new lots.

You don't take all this away and expect players to say "Thank you." Well, maybe that's what EA expected. Of course, it didn't happen.

So very well said!

They gutted The Sims, & turned it into something it never was before & imo, should never have become.

They've talked about how you can just sit back & watch your sims. I didn't pay to watch a sims movie; I paid to be able to play a sandbox life simulation game! If I wanted to watch something, I'd go to Netflix or turn on the tv. I certainly wouldn't pay $50 or more for a movie or tv program.