Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are The Sims console games canon?

WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
This might be the biggest debate if The Sims' console releases are canon or non-canon.

While the console games may have Sims who are featured on Windows or Mac games, they might not be canon. For example, The Sims Bustin' Out has Bella, Mortimer, and Malcolm; The Sims 2 GBA, DS and PSP features Strangetown and the latter has most of the Sims from the original Windows version on the PSP, The Sims 3 has Malcolm from Sunset Valley and Pets has Rebecca Goth but it's debated if Rebecca is an official Goth member. The Sims' spinoffs appear to be non-canon because The Sims Stories, The Sims 2 Castaway, and The Sims Medieval aren't referenced in the main games although EA seems to acknowledge MySims to be part of The Sims' canon because MorcuCorp appears in The Sims 3 World Adventures and makes the Time Capsules in The Sims 4, and Summer, Liberty, and Travis appear in The Sims 4.

While it is not officially confirmed if the console releases, mainly The Sims and The Sims Bustin' Out, are canon to the series or not, there is one Sim who was featured from the console games to appear in a canon game. The Sims 3 had featured Malcolm Landgraab as a Child while The Sims and The Sims Bustin' Out had him as an Adult. However, The Sims 4 has him as a Teen which is weird as The Sims 4 would be set after The Sims' (and therefore Bustin' Out's) timeline and before The Sims 2 as evident by the Goths' age between The Sims 2 and The Sims 4.

If you're confused, the timeline of the games would go by this order: The Sims 3 > The Sims > The Sims 4 > The Sims 2

The Landgraabs' age aren't consistent because in The Sims 3, Nancy and Geoffrey are Adults, Malcolm is a Child while Bella and Mortimer Goth are also Children. In The Sims 4, Nancy and Geoffrey are still Adults, Malcolm is a Teen while Mortimer and Bella are an Adult and Young Adult, respectively. Malcolm being a Teen in TS4 could be wierd because he's an Adult in The Sims and The Sims Bustin' Out for consoles and according to the Goths' ages between games, The Sims is set after The Sims 3 and before The Sims 4 so therefore, Malcolm would be an Adult and Mom, Dudley and Mimi would also exist (so far, the latter 3 haven't appeared in any Mac/PC games).

My guess is that the Landgraabs seemed popular that EA decided to put them in The Sims 4 expllaining Nancy's and Geoffrey's TS4 appearance, maybe they used Ambrosia to keep themselves from aging. I'm also thinking The Sims console and The Sims Bustin' Out is set in The Sims' timeline so they would be before The Sims 4 but Malcolm being a Teen (as well as no appearance of Mom, Dudley, and Mimi in games after Bustin' Out) could suggest that The Sims (console) and The Sims Bustin' Out are non-canon.

Do you think the console games are canon or non-canon?
Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer
Post edited by EA_Solaire on

Comments

• Options
    SimChic1SimChic1 Posts: 3,449 Member
    Didn't they say TS4 was an alternate timeline though? Oh, and I would say non-canon.
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    what is canon / non-canon
  • Options
    AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    I read it twice and still do not understand!
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    @catmando830 I'll use TWD comics and show as an example. If in TWD comic a character dies, then that's official, canon. If the same character never dies in the show, that's non-canon. Canon is basically the official storyline.

Actually. I think my example s.ucks. Sorry :pensive:
  • Options
    AnnePlaysAnnePlays Posts: 2,504 Member
    edited January 2015
    Actually there had been lots of inconsistency with the timelines since S1's sequels. Though the most accurate one would probably be S2 though.

I often thought console versions and sequels constitute Canon material in the Sims, like for example The Sims 2 Strangetown PSP, mainly Bella Goth's appearance in Strangetown and her true feelings for Mortimer.

But I eventually realize the sequels and spinoffs don't really consider timeflow of the original game (S1) and mainly its all up to player speculation and connecting the dots, which I think makes free form storytelling for us Simmers.
    muscle_gumball_by_vanillycake-d4a9ida.png
  • Options
    SimChic1 wrote: »
    Didn't they say TS4 was an alternate timeline though? Oh, and I would say non-canon.

I don't think EA has said TS4 is on alternate Timeline.
    what is canon / non-canon
    This article on Wikipedia will explain what canon is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_(fiction)
    AnnePlays wrote: »
    Actually there had been lots of inconsistency with the timelines since S1's sequels. Though the most accurate one would probably be S2 though.

I often thought console versions and sequels constitute Canon material in the Sims, like for example The Sims 2 Strangetown PSP, mainly Bella Goth's appearance in Strangetown and her true feelings for Mortimer.

But I eventually realize the sequels and spinoffs don't really consider timeflow of the original game (S1) and mainly its all up to player speculation and connecting the dots, which I think makes free form storytelling for us Simmers.

True, the PSP seems to be set after Windows and Bella in Strangetown is accurate. The only thing wrong is the secret saying she never loved Mortimer and only after his money. In The Sims 2, it's believed Dina would take this rule because she is after his money but in The Sims 4, she doesn't seem interested in the Goths' money since TS4 is set before TS2. While in TS1 she loved Mortimer, she didn't in Bustin' Out, The Sims 2 or The Sims 3 (justified in the latter because they are children but it's assumed that Maxis didn't set the Romantic relationship for Bella in The Sims 2) but she does love Mortimer in TS4.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    @WinMacSims3 Wait...found it.

Oh...It only posted the tweet but not the responses. Just copy the link into the search bar if you really want to see where she officially says alternate universe.
  • Options
    edited January 2015

Oh...It only posted the tweet but not the responses. Just copy the link into the search bar if you really want to see where she officially says alternate universe.

So TS4 is in an alternate timeline? Makes sense because it's confusing to know the official timeline. I believe Sims 2 started it mentioning what happened after TS1 and TS3 followed suit. The additional worlds' canon status is more confusing but it's possible they're on an alternate timeline although most worlds featuring Sims 2 Sims seem to be set before TS2 (e.g., Jennifer is married in The Sims 3 but she isn't married in Dragon Valley) but Barnacle Bay seems to be consistent with TS2's timeline.
  • Options

So TS4 is in an alternate timeline? Makes sense because it's confusing to know the official time. I believe Sims 2 started it mentioning what happened after TS1 and TS3 followed suit. The additional worlds' canon status is more confusing but it's possible they're on an alternate timeline although most worlds featuring Sims 2 Sims seem to be set before TS2 (e.g., Jennifer is married in The Sims 3 but she isn't married in Dragon Valley) but Barnacle Bay seems to be consistent with TS2's timeline.
    Yup, alternate. And your right with TS2 coming after 1. And then TS3's Sunset Valley is before 2 but the additional worlds vary on the timeline.

The math I think goes like this
    TS3(Sunset Valley)-TS1-TS2 with 25 years in between.
  • Options
    ENolanENolan Posts: 2,735 Member
    If any of the console games have a chance at holding any truth to the canon, the one I could think of was TS3 for the PS3 and 360. There Malcolm is married and has a child.

IF it helps aid any relevance, I recreated his wife, Hannelore, as a teen for him to slowly give in to her charms/overambitious nature. Mind you, I had to create a backstory for her, too...
    09_18_14_1_26__am_2_by_rvu-d807iw2.png
  • Options
    Joey2eyeballJoey2eyeball Posts: 1,792 Member
    There was present day in The Sims 1, then The Sims 2 was set 25 years later when all the families from the original neighborhood had gone into the next generation. That includes all neighborhoods.

Sunset Valley from The Sims 3 is set 25 years before The Sims 1 in the past, and all the other neighborhoods are set at random points in the storyline. So basically The Sims 3 ruined it all.

The Sims 4 is set in an alternative universe away from the main storyline, where many families were modified and put together as they were in previous games. For example, the Landgraabs are modified versions of how they were in The Sims 3 and put in Oasis Springs, while the Goths are modified versions of how they were between The Sims 1 and The Sims 2, and then put in Willow Creek.

So you could say the The Sims 3-The Sims 1-The Sims 2 storyline is canon and The Sims 4's storyline is non-canon. As for the console games, they are based on the storylines and neighborhoods from the PC games, but are in my opinion, non-canon.
    My name is Joseph, please don't call me Joe or Joey.

Yours sincerely, Joseph :)
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    None of this makes any sense to me.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    ENolan wrote: »
    If any of the console games have a chance at holding any truth to the canon, the one I could think of was TS3 for the PS3 and 360. There Malcolm is married and has a child.

IF it helps aid any relevance, I recreated his wife, Hannelore, as a teen for him to slowly give in to her charms/overambitious nature. Mind you, I had to create a backstory for her, too...

I remember the theory of Malcolm Landgraab. When The Sims 3 featured Malcolm, some including The Sims wiki considered the Bustin' Out Malcolm and The Sims 3 Malcolm to be different Sims but I have found some evidence that the TS3 Malcolm is the Bustin' Out Malcolm.
    • Both Sims have the Malcolm Landgraab name (although The Sims spells it as Landgrabb).
    • Malcolm is a child on The Sims 3 on Mac/PC while he's an adult in The Sims console.
    • Bustin' Out says he's a Senator (viewed in the Octagon) implying he's in the political career despite politics not being in Bustin' Out. The Sims 3 on PS3/Xbox 360 has him in the political career.
    • Furthermore, TS3 console says he's moved from Sunset Valley so he's the same Sim from Mac/PC.
    This should prove that the TS3 Malcolm is the Bustin' Out Malcolm.
  • Options
    ErinErin Posts: 641 Member
    There was present day in The Sims 1, then The Sims 2 was set 25 years later when all the families from the original neighborhood had gone into the next generation. That includes all neighborhoods.

Sunset Valley from The Sims 3 is set 25 years before The Sims 1 in the past, and all the other neighborhoods are set at random points in the storyline. So basically The Sims 3 ruined it all.

The Sims 4 is set in an alternative universe away from the main storyline, where many families were modified and put together as they were in previous games. For example, the Landgraabs are modified versions of how they were in The Sims 3 and put in Oasis Springs, while the Goths are modified versions of how they were between The Sims 1 and The Sims 2, and then put in Willow Creek.

So you could say the The Sims 3-The Sims 1-The Sims 2 storyline is canon and The Sims 4's storyline is non-canon. As for the console games, they are based on the storylines and neighborhoods from the PC games, but are in my opinion, non-canon.

Most accurate description I've seen. Makes sense to me.
    670?cb=20130818204250
    "Because now it's the fans out there that are entertaining us, the developers, with their creations!" - Will Wright
  • Options
    boskos456boskos456 Posts: 66 Member
    edited January 2019
    ENolan wrote: »

She looks great.😀 I was planning on making her teen and the girlfriend of him, same with Cecilia Goth except as a child😃
    I'll make them sister just because I can😁 (plus they both end up with rich guys and we don't know their background. I'll make them live on their own as orphaned sisters with their roommates, wishing for fortune then they'll meet their future husbands. Plus maybe this made her ambitious😁
    Come on, why not?😁)

Maybe this helps some of you☺
    https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Landgraab_family
  • Options
    TheGreatGorlonTheGreatGorlon Posts: 382 Member
    You forgot the Urbz, which to me is arguably one of the more fun console versions of the Sims.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top