Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is multitasking new?

Comments

• Options
    ASDF0716ASDF0716 Posts: 1,703 Member
    edited January 2015
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    Doing stuff while talking isn't a true form of multitasking. Watching TV or Eating food while chatting is hardly "multitasking" in a way that it is in the Sims 4

In The Sims 4, Sims could eat food, and drink at the exact same time, while chatting, and reading a book. Sims can also watch TV while Cooking, so if your Sim was watching the Cooking channel while cooking, it would make them inspired and the food would turn out better and their cooking skill would increase at double speed.

My Sim was eating, and I told him to water the garden, and instead of putting the bowl down, he took it with him, switched to the watering can to water one plant, and then switched to take a bite of his food, then watered the next plant.
    That's taking care of the garden, while filling his needs.

In previous games he would have been to hungry to water the garden, so I would had to of fed him first, and then made him water which would have taken longer because he had work in an hour. And normally it can take an hour just to eat the food in the first place.

----

Talking whilst doing stuff is really the only thing the previous games have done, except for holding a baby or Toddler.
    The only thing the Sims 4 needs to work on is Group Conversations. The rest works flawlessly.

except... it doesn't.

Where is my ability to quickly kiss my wife goodbye while she's eating in the morning?
    or waving to a friend while I jog past them?
    or any other number of countless things that I can't do?

Where is my ability to walk and talk on the phone at the same time?
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited January 2015
    Zolt65 wrote: »

You can see they're not really interacting with the other sims, they have their own private animations that make it look like they are having conversations.

Actually they ARE interacting with the other sims. Notice the relationship plus signs above their heads, they are relating and gaining friendship points.

Um, as someone who also plays Sims 2, yeah, they totally can get positive or negative points above their heads (depends on the type of conversation and topics/interests and/or if they're too hungry/tired/bored to talk, etc) if they talked long enough, so...yeah, they ARE interacting. Same with Sims in Sims 3. (And if their needs are too low, or their mood is low, they may get grumpy during the conversations and get negative points. I think Sims 3 may be the same.)

I'm waiting for the day when my Sims 4 sims can feed the baby, sit down in front of the tv with it (and maybe sort of casually watching tv), and carry a conversation with someone all at the same time, lol...Or something similar...
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Sims 3 definitely had multi-tasking. Now, to passively skill you had to have a store item, but you could definitely play chess while chatting and, if you had the multitab, also be raising some other skill. You could fish and chat as well, which is not possible with Sims 4.

Really, Sims 4 sims don't multitask as much as people think they do. Working out/watching TV and chatting they are multitasking. However, other things, like playing chess or eating, they're actually either talking or playing -- look at how the skills are raising. It's why when talking, playing chess or eating takes a much longer time. They're just switching from one to the other and not doing both at the same time.

I preferred it the way the Sims 3 did it. You may not have had control over the conversation, but it was kind of fun watching the speech bubbles.

I also miss the relationship-specific thought bubbles. Like the thought bubble with the love-interest's face and a smile in it, or all the hearts, or whatever. I see thought bubbles in Sims 4, but they seem far more generic. Really, the speech and thought bubbles gave, to me, my Sims 3 sims far more personality.

My favorite regarding this was when I had an adult sim marry a young adult sim. He aged up to elder while she was still a young adult. They went to a night club, and as they walked in the door, he had a thought bubble of himself as a young man and she had a thought bubble of herself as an old woman. Sims 4 has given me nothing like that -- and I do miss those moments.
  • Options
    policeofficerswifepoliceofficerswife Posts: 347 Member
    I love the multi-tasking!
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    edited January 2015
    @ASDF0716 wrote: »
    Doing stuff while talking isn't a true form of multitasking. Watching TV or Eating food while chatting is hardly "multitasking" in a way that it is in the Sims 4

In The Sims 4, Sims could eat food, and drink at the exact same time, while chatting, and reading a book. Sims can also watch TV while Cooking, so if your Sim was watching the Cooking channel while cooking, it would make them inspired and the food would turn out better and their cooking skill would increase at double speed.

My Sim was eating, and I told him to water the garden, and instead of putting the bowl down, he took it with him, switched to the watering can to water one plant, and then switched to take a bite of his food, then watered the next plant.

In previous games he would have been to hungry to water the garden, so I would had to of fed him first, and then made him water which would have taken longer because he had work in an hour. And normally it can take an hour just to eat the food in the first place.

----

Talking whilst doing stuff is really the only thing the previous games have done, except for holding a baby or Toddler.
    The only thing the Sims 4 needs to work on is Group Conversations. The rest works flawlessly.

except... it doesn't.

Where is my ability to quickly kiss my wife goodbye while she's eating in the morning?

Have you ever been able to do that? Kiss someone goodbye while they are sitting but you are standing? You can kiss someone goodbye while they are eating, but they have to be standing up.

And Sims do smile at each other when they run past each other, waving at people in the street is weird.
    Just because you can't do them, doesn't mean what you can do doesn't work flawlessly. That's bizarre logic.

Multi-tasking is flawless in the game as it is (aka doing multiple current actions at once). Not actions that aren't in the game.
    Saying the multitasking is flawed because Sims can't do everything you want them too isn't really valid. Multitasking isn't doing things that aren't in the game, it's being able to do multiple things in the game currently.

Also, Sims walking around with the phone I'm sure is still in the game, if you start a chat standing up? Either way, walking and chatting isn't really a big deal. It's being able to do multiple actions at once.

In the Sims 3, talking on the phone resulted in Sims walking, but it was still one action. Multi-tasking would be watching TV while on the phone.
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited January 2015
    In Sims 3, you could talk and do a lot of things. In Sims 4, you actually cannot. If you're playing chess and talking, you're doing one or the other -- not both. It's why a chess game stops if you queue up talk actions and it won't continue until your queue ends. You're either going to be using your social skill or your logic skill -- not both. In Sims 3, they chat while playing chess. While you didn't gain a social skill, conversation was definitely happening. Ever try to talk when fishing in the Sims 4? You cannot. In Sims 3, provided the sims were close enough, they'd be chatting. In fact, it's downright weird that they cannot.

If you're going to sell a "new" feature, make sure it actually IS new and that it works. Sure, you can't multi-task all actions in Sims 2 or Sims 3 and some of those you had a less control over (for instance, the conversations over meals in Sims 2 and Sims 3), but you also cannot multitask all things in Sims 4, even sometimes when it makes no sense that you can't.

Edit: Actually, the whole "multitasking is new" in sims 4 as a selling point I find a bit insulting to my intelligence. Maybe it's implemented differently, but it most certainly is not new.
  • Options
    ASDF0716ASDF0716 Posts: 1,703 Member
    edited January 2015
    @ASDF0716 wrote: »

----

except... it doesn't.

Have you ever been able to do that? Kiss someone goodbye while they are sitting but you are standing? You can kiss someone goodbye while they are eating, but they have to be standing up.

And Sims do smile at each other when they run past each other, waving at people in the street is weird.
    Just because you can't do them, doesn't mean what you can do doesn't work flawlessly. That's bizarre logic.

Multi-tasking is flawless in the game as it is (aka doing multiple current actions at once). Not actions that aren't in the game.
    Saying the multitasking is flawed because Sims can't do everything you want them too isn't really valid. Multitasking isn't doing things that aren't in the game, it's being able to do multiple things in the game currently.

Also, Sims walking around with the phone I'm sure is still in the game, if you start a chat standing up? Either way, walking and chatting isn't really a big deal. It's being able to do multiple actions at once.

In the Sims 3, talking on the phone resulted in Sims walking, but it was still one action. Multi-tasking would be watching TV while on the phone.

First off, I absolutely don't believe you when you say: "In The Sims 4, Sims could eat food, and drink at the exact same time, while chatting, and reading a book."

They can do certain combinations of those actions, but, they really can't do all of them at once. If you have a screenshot of that happening, that would be interesting.

Even so, doing any combinations of those actions is hardly "flawless". Drinking something + doing something else certainly comes to mind of times when I've said: "🐸🐸🐸🐸?" to my screen because something was borked.

Ultimately, I don't agree and expect more of a game that came out in 2014 than I do of a game that came out in 1999. It seems to me that your definition of "mutlitasking" is no more than being able to talk + complete an action. Well, to me, when you base "multitasking" as a pillar of the game as EAxis has done, then, you better deliver- and to, me they haven't- even at the basic level.

To be sure, I may be eating crow in a year or two when all (or even most) of the things that I want are implemented in the game... but, I don't think that that is going to happen. To me "multitasking" equates to more than just *talk* + *action* which is (basically) what we have now (and horribly implemented at that). Obviously, there is no way they can account for every single multitask that a real person could perform in real life (for instance, I am typing in this forum, talking on Teamspeak, petting my dog with my foot and drinking (alot of) scotch- all at the same time), however, to me there are basic things that were left out of the game- the fact that you couldn't do those basic things became irrelevant the day EAxis chose to use "mutltitasking" as a pillar with which to promote the game. Maybe my standards are a bit higher than yours, but, if that's the case, then- I'm sorry for you. I'm sorry that you are willing to accept the same level of BS we've gotten for fourteen years.
    Post edited by ASDF0716 on
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited January 2015
    Rflong7 wrote: »

You can see they're not really interacting with the other sims, they have their own private animations that make it look like they are having conversations.

Actually they ARE interacting with the other sims. Notice the relationship plus signs above their heads, they are relating and gaining friendship points.
    I would believe that if there would be a sim at that table nót gaining friendship points.
    I guess eating together with other sims would automatically influence their friendship bars (like playing chess and tag for instance) (or playing the guitar for tips; great way to befriend half the city!).

Hi :)

Actually, they have to share interests to gain friendship points. Not all conversations at the table will be positive unless they have the same intrests. It's not like TS3 guitar playing.
    If that's true there is a difference. You mean you can get a negative influence on the social bar as well? But if that's based on traits only it is quite basic of course.
    Oh well, I prefer it that way. Again, I'm not happy with the 'advanced' way it is handled in Sims 4 at all. I agree with @ejoslin and @ASDF0716
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited January 2015

I would believe that if there would be a sim at that table nót gaining friendship points.
    I guess eating together with other sims would automatically influence their friendship bars (like playing chess and tag for instance) (or playing the guitar for tips; great way to befriend half the city!).

Hi :)

Actually, they have to share interests to gain friendship points. Not all conversations at the table will be positive unless they have the same intrests. It's not like TS3 guitar playing.
    If that's true there is a difference. You mean you can get a negative influence on the social bar as well? But if that's based on traits only it is quite basic of course.
    Oh well, I prefer it that way. Again, I'm not happy with the 'advanced' way it is handled in Sims 4 at all. I agree with @ejoslin and @ASDF0716

OMG, play the sims 2 already, lol! XD Of course, it's quite basic; it's older than sims 3--all of the sims games are basic, anyway, in terms of multitasking, I would think. Is sims 3 that much better than "basic"?

Besides, talking + action, (and/or skilling) I haven't seen any other type of advanced multitasking in any sims yet yet.

I'm confused, though. What do you mean, social bar?

If you mean relarionship bar, then YES, just like in other sims games, you can get positive or negative on the relationship bars, depending on relationship (ex: high relationship can add more social interactions, and can increase the percentage of an action being accepted, like flirting,etc), personality traits, turn-ons and turn-offs (sims 2 Nightlife expansion, I think) for romantic socials, (only in sims 1 and sims 2) interests.

On sims 2, like in sims 1, but UNLIKE sims 3 (from what I remember and seen so far), sims have also interests, and you can even change the topic of the current conversation.

You can increase/decrease interests by reading magazines and/or doing hobbies (with the FreeTime expansion pack) or certain things. (This is seperate from skills!) Personality traits (like laziness or neat/sloppy, etc) can affect how fast/slow a sim gains "enthusiasm" for a particular interest, according to the wiki.

For example, if you wanted a sim to have more interest in Fashion and Culture, Arts & Crafts, you have the sim do more arts stuff, like painting, pottery, sewing, toy-making, blogging about art, viewing art, researching art, reading about art, etc. If you wanted sims to become more of a foodie, you have them cook food, eat/drink foods, watch the cooking channel, blogging about food on the internet, etc. If you wanted sims to have interest in Toys/Tinkering, you can do tinkering activities, like reading about mechanical, repairing or upgrading various items (ex: sink, bathtub, eletctrical objects, etc), robot crafting, playing with robot toys or blocks, etc.

Each interest has a points meter. The less points a sim has in an interest, the less enthusiasm he/she has for it, which means he/she will give off negative points during that topic. For example, if a sim tried having a conversation about food with someone who doesn't have any or very little interest points in Cuisine, then that someone will react negatviely about the topic, leading to red minuses and a decrease in relationship points. If you wanted to keep talking to this person, you would click on your sim and change the topic to something that the other person may be interested in. You wouldn't know about a non-active npc sim's interests unless you did trial and error in talking and changing topics, you (the player) observed them doing or talking positively about something related to that interest, or if you have your sim ask the other sim about that's sims interests. If you wanted your own sim to have interest in something, then you go do something related to that interest and keep doing until interest level increases to the appropriate amount of enthusiasm points.

http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Interest

Sorry to go offtopic, but I wanted to clarify about some of sims 2 aspects and add facts to the sims 2 topic. (Yay, I just increased enthusiasm in Entertainment, lol, if I was a sim in sims 2. :wink: ) I'm still discovering/learning stuff about all of these sims games, since I'm playing all of them. :)

(She/her)
  • Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    dmel25 wrote: »
    My TS3 sim dances in her chair while she reads a book and listens to music.

Pics or it didn't happen. :D

Alright, my first time uploading to YouTube, had NO IDEA it was going to take hours so I went to bed and left it. It finished about 3:30 this morning. I so seriously will need a better internet if I am going to do this again. A one minute video and it took that many HOURS to upload?! Nonsense. Anyhow, here is my sim, Michelle. You can see her grooving to the music even while she reads a book. Maybe not the multitasking you had in mind but it was what I was talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eojSPVZQJuw&feature=youtu.be

Oh, and yeah, I am not good at taking videos. Well aware.
  • Options
    juncedajunceda Posts: 2,614 Member
    edited January 2015
    @Jessa_Dakkar, each time I read a post of yours I think we both really play the same TS3 :D

Edit to say sims in TS3 do wave, turn their heads and smile to known sims while walking when they pass one another in the street! (and no, I´m not going to spend some hours to make a video, believe me or not, its up to you)
    firma_zps7hsuhx2i.png

I can play at last TS2 TS3 and TS4 So great that toddlers are here!!!
  • Options
    junceda wrote: »
    @Jessa_Dakkar, each time I read a post of yours I think we both really play the same TS3 :D

I wish everyone got to play the same game which we enjoy. I wish everyone got to enjoy lag free, crash free simming with nice graphics and sims who did stuff. Then maybe it wouldn't be regarded with such distaste among many in the community.
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    ts3seml wrote: »
    I get annoyed with the Multi tasking... Eating, chatting, and playing musical chairs. *sigh*
    What a way to have a family dinner. They move so much some sit in another room because the rest are moving between chairs. :(
    Sit, eat, and chat. I want that back-That would be fabulous.

A Sim story: ~I'm eating cereal at the table but I want to chat with my mom on the couch (3 steps away) so I move to the couch but mom wants to go chat and watch my brother so she moves and now I have to go move so I can still chat with mom- 3 more steps away.
    Freaking sit at the table and chat- it's the same room. *turns off game*

I agree but I hope that they can fix this. Someone called dinner musical chairs. It is definitely getting silly watching them up and down and up and down.

Oddly enough the previous games nailed this. Not sure about Sims 3 anymore but I think I saw them doing this too but I know I saw it a week ago in Sims 2. One sim sits at the table eating and the other is in the living room watching tv, the managed to talk to each other without playing musical chairs ;) They also talk to sims standing around while eating.
  • Options

Alright, my first time uploading to YouTube, had NO IDEA it was going to take hours so I went to bed and left it. It finished about 3:30 this morning. I so seriously will need a better internet if I am going to do this again. A one minute video and it took that many HOURS to upload?! Nonsense. Anyhow, here is my sim, Michelle. You can see her grooving to the music even while she reads a book. Maybe not the multitasking you had in mind but it was what I was talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eojSPVZQJuw&feature=youtu.be

Awesome video! Getting faster internet <.< haha
    I never noticed that but then again I usually turn of the stereo. I'll have to try that, once my family has money rebuy their stereo since I sold it to pay bills.
  • Options

Edit to say sims in TS3 do wave, turn their heads and smile to known sims while walking when they pass one another in the street! (and no, I´m not going to spend some hours to make a video, believe me or not, its up to you)

I'm posting to much but I must say I love that. They do acknowledge each other.
  • Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eojSPVZQJuw&amp;feature=youtu.be

Lol, she's definitely moving. Or maybe she's just twitching, lol. XD

But, yeah, I don't get how it's such a brand new thing. I think the older games do have some basic multitasking. No sims game has super advanced multitasking yet, though...
    (She/her)
  • Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eojSPVZQJuw&amp;feature=youtu.be

Lol, she's definitely moving. Or maybe she's just twitching, lol. XD

But, yeah, I don't get how it's such a brand new thing. I think the older games do have some basic multitasking. No sims game has super advanced multitasking yet, though...

Iwould appreciate Sims 4 multitasking more if it wasn't just a loop of actions. Paint 3 seconds, Stop, Talk 4 seconds, repeat.
  • Options

I wish everyone got to play the same game which we enjoy. I wish everyone got to enjoy lag free, crash free simming with nice graphics and sims who did stuff. Then maybe it wouldn't be regarded with such distaste among many in the community.
    I wish for that, too!

The lag was so bad, I couldn't play it for years until I got a better computer. (Also, I still preferred sims in sims 2). Then, I got Isla Paradiso, and it still lagged. Then I found a mod and ways to sort of 🐸🐸🐸🐸 the lag, and I'm enjoying it better. However, I still get routing issues sometimes in Isla Paradiso world only, for some reason.

So, unfortunately, I'm one of those players who can't play without mods. (Well, without any frustrations, anyway.) And I still have nostalgia and yearning for sims 2, for some reason...
    (She/her)
  • Options
    Twitching, lol, sounds like what a guru does to show us how unfamiliar they are with game play. (Did I say that out loud?!) She's tapping her foot, too. Tried to catch that. It seems a lot more evident in the game, and smoother. I guess I don't know how to upload a high quality video either, lol. I'm a noob at so many things. :(
  • Options

I wish for that, too!

The lag was so bad, I couldn't play it for years until I got a better computer. (Also, I still preferred sims in sims 2). Then, I got Isla Paradiso, and it still lagged. Then I found a mod and ways to sort of 🐸🐸🐸🐸 the lag, and I'm enjoying it better. However, I still get routing issues sometimes in Isla Paradiso world only, for some reason.

So, unfortunately, I'm one of those players who can't play without mods. (Well, without any frustrations, anyway.) And I still have nostalgia and yearning for sims 2, for some reason...

Sims 2 sims are more natural and alive than sims from Sims 3 or 4. I just stay away from Isla Paradiso, I rather play Roaring heights. I love Isla Paradiso but that world is a nightmare, I actually couldn't edit town without the game crashing, and when I started a new game it would lag like I was running it on a calculator but Edit town would work fine.

There is a fixed version somewhere but I haven't tried it yet.
  • Options
    Twitching, lol, sounds like what a guru does to show us how unfamiliar they are with game play. (Did I say that out loud?!) She's tapping her foot, too. Tried to catch that. It seems a lot more evident in the game, and smoother. I guess I don't know how to upload a high quality video either, lol. I'm a noob at so many things. :(

I think you proved your point. :)

So, yes, some form of multitasking sort of exists already in the older games.

You know, just like emotions were already done in previous games. (Unless my Sims 3, 2, and even 1 sims are just twitching, grimacing robots, lol?)
    (She/her)
  • Options
    06Bon06 wrote: »

I'm posting to much but I must say I love that. They do acknowledge each other.

That they do! My genie, Cruz, was coming in the house from outside and on his way through the kitchen to go to the basement to practice pool shots he waved and spoke to someone toward the dining area. I knew where the other sims in the house were and they weren't there so I had to look. The family cat, Rumpleteazer, was playing around the chairs. So they acknowledge the pets as well as the sims, too.

• Options
    KaelKael Posts: 2,197 Member
    edited January 2015
    It's not really multi-tasking. Most of those things in Sims 3 were coded in. If you sat next to someone to watch tv they would sit near each other like the other didn't exist until you initiated the interaction "Watch TV Together"(One action, two benefits). I think the only bundled interaction was eating at the dinner table/talking.

That photo isn't multitasking either. He's talking to the girl, holding a baby isn't an action, and if you were to be in game you would see he is getting none of his fun bar raised because he is not actually watching the TV. He just has a thought bubble about it.

There's a lot to say about S4, but the vastly improved multi-tasking is pretty legit.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    06Bon06 wrote: »

Sims 2 sims are more natural and alive than sims from Sims 3 or 4. I just stay away from Isla Paradiso, I rather play Roaring heights. I love Isla Paradiso but that world is a nightmare, I actually couldn't edit town without the game crashing, and when I started a new game it would lag like I was running it on a calculator but Edit town would work fine.

There is a fixed version somewhere but I haven't tried it yet.

I think I have that fixed ellacharmed world, but I still have two sims still having routing issues, lol! I think my game ran much more smoothly before with my default broken ea world,, when I bulldozed the troublesome houses, resorts, and almost all of the housboats,heh. :) So I think I will try bulldozing almost all of the houseboats in this fixed world, too, to see if my game will run smooth again. If not, I'll go back to ea's broken world and an older save where I bulldozed all of the troublesome resorts, houses, and almost all houseboats. It was much smoother in that data, for some reason, even if someone still got stuck.

There's a hill near the edge of a port/beach that sims will go under or get their feet stuck for some reason, and there's a bathroom sink in a public bathroom near the beach that would get my poor toddler stuck. :( <---This is with the original EA broken world. I will try to see if the fixed world fixed these issues.
    (She/her)
  • Options
    JoBass24usJoBass24us Posts: 1,629 Member
    I think that the idea of multi-tasking existed in a very minimal way in previous games but it definitely was not there like it is in the sims 4. Last night I had a hoot because my male sim was working out on his treadmill watching TV while talking to his wife who was making dinner and also talking to a friend that was sitting at her island. That's something that I have never experienced in the sims game before. And yes some aspects of the multi-tasking need refining but I don't think its that bad. All and all I find this game to be more engaging when it comes to the sims themselves then I did the sims in 3.