Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is multitasking new?

So I was just playing Sims 3 and I left my sim alone and checked something in the world and when I came back he was doing this:

iMWBrNnMPjJKr.jpg

He was holding their newborn baby while watching tv (watching his daughter play a game) and talking to her. Is that not multitasking? I'm confused as to why I have heard Sims 4 has multitasking like it is a new feature when to me this seems like multitasking.

And a bonus picture. Does their newborn baby not look like @06Bon06‌ a little bit? I think he does.
ibe4ToesJl3pxW.jpg

Comments

• Options
    colton147colton147 Posts: 9,663 Member
    There was somewhat a multi-tasking feature in the Sims 3, but not much like the Sims 4.
  • Options
    Zolt65Zolt65 Posts: 8,272 Member
    edited January 2015
    In my Sims2 game:

I noticed my sim bowling with his wife and they had a running conversation while bowling;
    the speech bubble back & forth with the same pictures...they were having a conversation and bowling at the same time.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    dmel25dmel25 Posts: 1,514 Member
    edited January 2015
    colton147 wrote: »
    There was somewhat a multi-tasking feature in the Sims 3, but not much like the Sims 4.

Interesting, EA played it off like it was one of the new great features of Sims 4 when really it has been around just not to the same extent. And change your signature jesus t.its.
  • Options
    Linds_the_kittyLinds_the_kitty Posts: 565 Member
    edited January 2015
    Yes - there's muilti-tasking in The Sims 4 and The Sims 3 (I guess), and I love it. :)
  • Options
    colton147colton147 Posts: 9,663 Member
    Your signature is hurting my eyes. :s

>:)
  • Options
    WilderwolfWilderwolf Posts: 3,406 Member
    Yes they could hold their babies and do one other action, but I wouldn't necessarily call that multitasking, especially not the the extent that Sims 4 multitasking works. And he's not watching her play the game and talking to her at the same time, he's only talking to her, so he's only doing one action while holding the baby. And since holding the baby doesn't require an actual action, he's still only doing one thing, chatting.
    Sig_zpsrk5fg4ri.gif

• Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    When they say that multitasking is a new feature, they mean that it's integrated into the game itself and that it can be generalized for all actions. Sims could multitask in limited and fixed ways in the previous games (e.g. talk while eating because they programmed conversations into dining). For all TS4's faults, I'd say that the multitasking system is one of the better and advanced parts of the game.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    I have a sim who owns the multi-tab and she will autonomously use it to learn skills while she goes off and does other things around the house. It is also common for a sim to join another on the sofa while one plays video games and watch while they carry on a conversation.
    There are a lot of little instances where they aren't doing just the one thing, but it isn't as developed as in TS4. So multitasking is not new, just improved.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,539 Member
    TS3 also had the multitab tablet.
    That thing was wonderful to build skills while doing other tasks.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    WilderwolfWilderwolf Posts: 3,406 Member
    If you've played Sims 4 though, you'd realize the vast improvements they've made with the previous "multitasking" system. It's a completely different feeling and amazing compared to the "multitasking" of listening to a multitab skill while painting. I put multitasking in quotes because that scenario isn't a true multitasking feeling like Sims 4's as it doesn't actually require a sim to do 2 things at once like they can in Sims 4. In the Sims 3 scenario they just have a buff that increases their skill while they do the single action of painting. It's like faux-multitasking.
    Sig_zpsrk5fg4ri.gif

• Options
    jaxie086jaxie086 Posts: 1,920 Member
    Yes, there was multitasking in sims 3 just not to the extent as it is in sims 4. Kind of how we already had emotions in sims 3 with the mood meter and moodlets. But now in sims 4 the emotions are embellished and, quite literally, spelled out for you.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,539 Member
    Wilderwolf wrote: »
    If you've played Sims 4 though, you'd realize the vast improvements they've made with the previous "multitasking" system. It's a completely different feeling and amazing compared to the "multitasking" of listening to a multitab skill while painting. I put multitasking in quotes because that scenario isn't a true multitasking feeling like Sims 4's as it doesn't actually require a sim to do 2 things at once like they can in Sims 4. In the Sims 3 scenario they just have a buff that increases their skill while they do the single action of painting. It's like faux-multitasking.

It's not necessarily a good thing though, for now I find my sims to be annoying busy bodies who can't sit still and focus.
    I'll be glad when we have locking doors, so I can shut my sims in their room so they can have some privacy and concentrate on what I want them to do and not be bothered by other household members. I'd rather have the multitab, to be honest.

The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    I get annoyed with the Multi tasking... Eating, chatting, and playing musical chairs. *sigh*
    What a way to have a family dinner. They move so much some sit in another room because the rest are moving between chairs. :(
    Sit, eat, and chat. I want that back-That would be fabulous.

A Sim story: ~I'm eating cereal at the table but I want to chat with my mom on the couch (3 steps away) so I move to the couch but mom wants to go chat and watch my brother so she moves and now I have to go move so I can still chat with mom- 3 more steps away.
    Freaking sit at the table and chat- it's the same room. *turns off game*
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    Keep saying that. It just wasn't in your face just like emotions. It's all there just not in your face.

Beautiful baby :P
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    Yeah like In the sims 3 Sims could not Eat, Watch TV and Converse with other sims, or even multiple sims, at the same
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    06Bon06 wrote: »
    Keep saying that. It just wasn't in your face just like emotions. It's all there just not in your face.

Beautiful baby :P

I happened to zoom in and I was like good lord that looks like Bon's avatar.

I get what you guys are saying about the multitasking. Sims 4 has an improved thing where the sims can actually do two things where as in previous games it was more like you didn't give them to options to do things it just sort of happened and you had no control, and it was limited.
  • Options
    Cyron43Cyron43 Posts: 8,055 Member
    @dmel25‌: That is not real multitasking. Technically the baby object has just been attached to the Sim's arm. If the game wouldn't lock his arm for that time he would even scratch his head with the baby.
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    nilaniusnilanius Posts: 1,984 Member
    Sims 2 had the best multi-tasking. Entire sim family would set at the dinner table and eat, and have conversations. If they sat to watch TV, they'd talk to each other, or in some cases, cuddle if it's a boyfriend/girlfriend sims. Sims 3 had some flaws in multi-tasking. And unlike Sims 2, it was hard to have a bar in the dining room because the entire family would rush to the bar to eat dinner instead of the dinner table.
    tumblr_static_plumbob.gif
    My current feelings about The Sims 4. Here is hoping The Sims 5 can restore The Sims franchise.
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    I think there has been a degree of multitasking before. All I know is that the kind they have put into TS4 seems more like some sort of manic behavior than true multitasking. i.e. a Sim will watch TV and decide to get some food. They grab the food, talk to another Sim while watching TV and playing musical chairs while not actually have a ongoing conversation.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    Cyron43 wrote: »
    @dmel25‌: That is not real multitasking. Technically the baby object has just been attached to the Sim's arm. If the game wouldn't lock his arm for that time he would even scratch his head with the baby.

I had to LOL at this imagining a sim scratch their head with a baby.
    nilanius wrote: »
    Sims 2 had the best multi-tasking. Entire sim family would set at the dinner table and eat, and have conversations. If they sat to watch TV, they'd talk to each other, or in some cases, cuddle if it's a boyfriend/girlfriend sims. Sims 3 had some flaws in multi-tasking. And unlike Sims 2, it was hard to have a bar in the dining room because the entire family would rush to the bar to eat dinner instead of the dinner table.

Yeah Sims 2 did have some good multi-tasking. There was a lot in Sims 2 that was superior to Sims 3 and I'm not sure why they took it out.
  • Options
    Shadecaster101Shadecaster101 Posts: 1,343 Member
    Multitasking has existed since The Sims 2. It's just improved now (like every selling point for The Sims 4).
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    I wouldn't say it's been improved, expanded maybe. There are several things which need to be improved with the Multi-tasking in TS4.
  • Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say it's been improved, expanded maybe. There are several things which need to be improved with the Multi-tasking in TS4.
    Very true. I've had some multi-tasking go awry, mostly of the musical chairs and chase during mealtime sort. And the 'staring off into space wondering what else to multi-task while I should be eating my cereal so I can get to school on time and not starving' kind. And all the slot-popping dinner into my pocket so I can talk and eat while standing...

• Options
    Devynsims00Devynsims00 Posts: 3,392 Member
    Behold the power of multi-tasking, where you're at the dinner table, trying to eat dinner (due to the amount of time it takes now) only to be spoken to, moving away from the table to go across to the next room, or have the entire table of Sims switch from seat to seat to seat.

Smarter Sims, Weirder Stories.

Although... sometimes multi-tasking has it's benefits :D
    OJGRGDT.gif
  • Options
    Crunchie885Crunchie885 Posts: 529 Member
    TS4 multitasking is taking an angry poop while eating and talking to a friend. And possibly using your tablet.