Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Kids can increase adult skills. What do you know?

So I just started looking into kids skills and realized I don't know much. Here is what I know, please help me figure out a few more things!

1. My kid went fishing, which allowed her to max out her mental skill. Once I maxed out her mental, it allowed her to increase her adult fishing skills. Weird!
2. My kid used her drawing table and also maxed out her creative skill... I can't seem to increase her adult painting sill though.

So when we max out kids skills, what are the other advantages? Are there any more adult skills than fishing my kids can improve durong childhood? I never tried to max out kids skills because I thought it was useless, I was wrong!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go play sims.

Comments

• Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,924 Member
    Do they keep those adult skills When they age up?
  • Options
    kay_blogskay_blogs Posts: 67 Member
    Mental: Fishing, Logic, Video Gaming.
    Social: Charisma, Mischief
    Creativity: Piano, Violin
    Motor: none.

Yes, they do keep the adult skills learned as a kid as they age up. And completing aspirations gives a boost to learning other adult skills. For example: If you kid has the Artistic Prodigy aspiration and completes it, they will learn painting and some other skills faster.
  • Options
    NoWayJose527NoWayJose527 Posts: 1,456 Member
    Yes, once children "max-out" certain skills, they begin working on adult skills. I have one "child prodigy" who's already attained Level 6 Adult Violin skill, for instance.

Not every skill bumps up to an adult one, though. Maxing the physical skill does nothing (and that makes no sense), but maxing the social skill will lead to developing the adult Charisma skill.

From your experience, obviously fishing is another skill that can be developed and carried over into adulthood, if a child maxes out the mental skill.

• Options
    MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    It always puzzled me why maxing the motor skills didn't lead to development of an adult skill, but I have to say, my kids who have maxed the motor skill age up to very fit, muscular teens, particularly the boys.
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    edited January 2015
    MsPhy wrote: »
    It always puzzled me why maxing the motor skills didn't lead to development of an adult skill, but I have to say, my kids who have maxed the motor skill age up to very fit, muscular teens, particularly the boys.

Motor skill is only useful for the rambunctious aspiration. If you complete it, your kid will get the physically gifted trait, which will help with building physical skills as an adult. It also doesn't make sense to me that kids can't build the fitness skill, but I guess that's what Maxis believes.

The other skills, even if the aspiration wasn't completed, at least lets the kids start on corresponding adult skills. So there's that.

While the adult skills remain, child skills do not carry over, so leaving them unfinished gives you nothing.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    MissBMissB Posts: 323 Member
    Thanks for the help everyone!
    Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go play sims.
  • Options
    Biggos6Biggos6 Posts: 412 Member
    It's a feature, a very useful feature, but the reason why Motor skill doesn't work towards any other skill is because there's no way for them to increase the Fitness/Athletic skill in the game :(
  • Options
    JadeLJadeL Posts: 3 New Member
    Max creativity also allows you to unlock Photography and Singing.
  • Options
    keenowkeenow Posts: 549 Member
    edited March 2018
    Children can also gain Vampire Lore; though I don't know what base skill that's associated to if any.
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,757 Member
    Motor= adult writing skill ("typing at computer") is one of the goals.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,937 Member
    keenow wrote: »
    Children can also gain Vampire Lore; though I don't know what base skill that's associated to if any.

Vampire Lore, Bowling and Pet Training are the skills that don't need any skill maxed out at all. So children can immediately start learning them even when none of the child's skills has maxed out.
  • Options
    ArogahnArogahn Posts: 1 New Member
    [quote="kay_blogs;c-13198768"]Mental: Fishing, Logic, Video Gaming.
    [/quote]
    Motor skill when maxed is an alternative for starting the video game skill. I did a play through with twins, and one twin had maxed motor skill while playing keyboard commander and suddenly his video game skill started.

Also motor does not assist towards adult writing, I tested that on the same save. And if it worked for your save then I’d be glad to know how you did it as my female twin will be an author as an adult.
    [quote="MadameLee;c-16404333"]Motor= adult writing skill ("typing at computer") is one of the goals.[/quote]
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    EgonVM wrote: »
    keenow wrote: »

Vampire Lore, Bowling and Pet Training are the skills that don't need any skill maxed out at all. So children can immediately start learning them even when none of the child's skills has maxed out.

I honestly didn't know this. I know this thread is old, but we've gotten several packs since it was posted.

And kids still can't gain fitness skill, and the physically gifted trait still only boosts the fitness skill, at least as far as I know. So the child motor skill remains the most useless of the four. :\
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    edited July 2018
    You can also double skills up. For instance if a child maxes out the mental skill and then do the typing game on the computer they will gain both the motor skill AND the video game skill at the same time while doing it. They gain the video game skill a lot slower then the motor one but it will do both.

Creativity also unlocks the photography skill I believe.
    ~ ~ ~
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Fishing increases a child's mental skill.
  • Options
    ElenPinkElenPink Posts: 541 Member
    Karritz wrote: »
    Do they keep those adult skills When they age up?

When they turn into adult skills, yes, they keep them.
    webp_net_gifmaker_by_sarcasmisbetter-dcfn6tz.gif
  • Options
    MaggiedollMaggiedoll Posts: 241 Member
    calaprfy wrote: »
    Fishing increases a child's mental skill.

Yea, I've been trying to understand how they decided on that one.. and failing.
  • Options
    leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    kay_blogs wrote: »
    Motor: none

This thread is old as 2015

What about skills added with packs?

• Options
    Kniga_SitaraKniga_Sitara Posts: 414 Member
    Nothing :( and I hate fact that when child max creativity only what child can are music instrument. WHY no Paint? Why?
    I dislike fact that children in this game can not gardering :(
  • Options
    SimChessackSimChessack Posts: 182 Member

This drives me nuts. Why isn't this one tied to fitness? It should be.

• Options
    MaggiedollMaggiedoll Posts: 241 Member

This drives me nuts. Why isn't this one tied to fitness? It should be.

They can't directly gain the skill as children, but the childhood aspirations are all linked to faster gains in associated skills once they age up, and they can't gain the adult skills as children until they reach level 10 of the childhood base skill to begin with.

The adult fitness skill is mostly body composition related (either increasing muscle or decreasing fat,) rather than actually athletic, so I guess they figured it wasn't really appropriate? As somebody who was forced to exercise as a child, I kinda agree on that one.
    There are mods to allow children to gain adult skills.
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,937 Member
    leo3487 wrote: »
    Motor: none

This thread is old as 2015

What about skills added with packs?

When child maxes out the creativity skill, they can also learn singing, pipe organ, and photography.
    Skills that can be immediately learned by a child are vampire lore, bowling, and pet training.