The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

General Discussion Etiquette – PLEASE READ

Comments

• Options
    AnavastiaAnavastia Posts: 6,515 Member
    edited January 2015
    Gramz777 wrote: »
    Anavastia wrote: »
    This has nothing to do with civilized discussions about liking or disliking the game...this has everything to do with the conduct and manner in which select players are conducting themselves towards others based on tactics that are neither constructive or contributing to a thread discussion.

Latest example last night on a thread "best game of 2014". The "derailment team" shows up "club dancing" the thread as they have called it in previous occurrences, and of course they were allowed to be successful as usual. Here they come offering nothing to the discussion but their obnoxious gifs and rude comments followed by little snarky comments about nobody participating in the thread (which as usual is the whole point of their presence to ensure that) while others took a different mind game approach and put the blame on the OP for why it was happening therefore justifying their "disappointment" thread pals behavior with smirks on their faces. Finally a mod shows up...great!! oh but wait, what is the mod doing? Not only did the mod move the thread to the feedback section, but also took no action against the regulars who were clearly breaking rules and rudely and obnoxiously derailing the thread once again.

Not only is it disturbing that the mod as usual didn't even bother with taking action against the individuals that caused the problem, but the action the mod did take by moving the thread to feedback only created more bad feelings in the forums. This resulted in once again reverting attention back to why then is "the most disappointing game of the year" thread allowed to stay in the discussion forum? I don't think anyone really cares about it being there, but when actions like this are practiced by moderators and members of that thread are being allowed to disrupt the rest of the forum threads with different views, it creates a double standard and makes whatever reason the "disappointment" thread is being allowed, as well as the actions of it's thread members, come into question with unpleasant feelings and frustrations.

I am sorry but why wouldn't a player such as myself not start to feel like the rules are not being enforced and when they are, they come off as being selectively applied after things like this keep happening? it's disheartening and frustrating to come here and simply want to read what others are doing in their game that i hadn't thought of..or see if anyone has caught wind of any new announcements... read civilized discussions about ideas that would improve the game....but all i do is leave here and not even want to play the game or even think about the sims because all it does is remind me of the irritations witnessed on this forum.

Some how i don't think this is what Corporate had in mind when they provided this forum...especially when they put measures in place called forum rules to prevent it from becoming the atmosphere it has become.

However the op when posting that thread and several others already initiated the discussion to call out and flame bait those people into that thread. Mods should have deleted it from the get go, instead of moving it. I didn't comment it it because that op was already banned from this forum and tends to be a poster that likes to cause trouble. When you disagree with that op they say very rude things to the players. That op was mad their thread was moved to feedback and began harassing a different player. It doesn't help that other players equally came into the thread saying why isn't the other thread being moved. That's not the topic of your thread. Clearly it's asking for trouble and how we post makes a difference when interacting with each other. that thread was started because someone didn't like the discussion they were having in another thread instead starting it for a good topic discussion. That makes a huge difference as like i said this forum encourages and rewards group think tactics on other players.

What I think is also hostile is that people don't openly acknowledge the wrong the other side provokes first. It's disturbing to me that this forum has such strong double standards. You blame one side but don't require the other to obey the forum rules. Last i check you are not allowed to call out or name and shame other posters in this forum. Nor create topics to flame bait others into arguments. That thread in deed got moved to feedback because it was not based on an article and the discussion was the opinion and feedback of players on why they personally thought it was the best game for 2014. There is not double standard there, it's two different threads where as one is discussing an article and agreeing or disagreeing with it and providing supporting evidence of such. Knowing the op that started that bestgame thread you can't even step into the discussion and disagree with them without it reverting to some type of childish retaliation at the disagreement. So yes this is very much users taking the discussions to personal levels.

Frankly here we are again, classic case of people making this argument an us vs them situation. Honestly Bon's thread shouldn't be getting thrown under the bus here because of one players misbehavior in another thread. That thread was also moved to feedback. However bon talked to a guru on how it's not feedback but a discussion. Did the op of the other thread even put in the effort to have their thread moved back? Or correct his opening post so that it's not inciting flaming? No. That special treatment here is just imagined by players they move around threads they believe are feedback both positive and negative.

Frankly i think this is what corporate did have in mind as i still see they let those banned persons who constantly kick up and harrass others continually come back under different accounts to do the same thing over again. Like i said those who purposely use off topic discussion and come in to threads to make personal attacks on those posters have not been banned yet. Even though they've been reported hundreds of times by users. Not to mention the flame baiters are allowed as well to keep fights going between players and just talk to people however they want. Especially when it comes people who have set it in their mind they an treat people however they want because their protecting the game. As for the gif spamming those players banned have been warned about using gifs to provoke other players. If they're banned than their banned but again doesn't stop them from making new accounts and doing the same thing over and over.

To me two issues need to be solved here and making stricter forum rules are not working here. 1 is getting players to obe they forum rules.

Two is getting banned users to stay off the forums. I think if we give registration keys for the forums to one base game of sims 3 or sims 4 and that's it you can't use the registration keys from the expansion and stuff packs that might help slim down dozens of accounts being created. Then forum dev's should ip ban all accounts associated to the offender so that they can't just hop on another account and continue to cause trouble.

Flame baiting Flame baiting Flame baiting....it's always because someone was flame baited. SIGH....that is not what i saw, but your entitled to your opinion. I don't know what happened on the prior thread, i am going by why happened on the thread mentioned. But regardless, starting a thread called best game of 2014 is not flame baiting. What i would consider flame baiting is going around accusing people of being a previous banned member and branding them with a stigma of someone they are more then likely not. Making accusations like this and assuming a poster's intent when there was nothing there to support it only further adds to the problems :(

Ana let's be honest, there are loose canyons on both sides. You have people who are disappointed with the game and those who are happy with it. Over time, a mentality of sides has formed pitting one view against the other. Until people stop that mentality and start holding each "individual" poster responsible for their actions instead of selectively doing so based on their views of the game... nothing is going to change. So let's be honest, this has nothing to do with whether one likes or dislikes the game, it has everything to do with CONDUCT.

There are no excuses and no one to blame for the choices we each make as to how we conduct ourselves on this forum.
    If you really feel like someone is flaming baiting you into an argument, it's your choice to participate and fan the flames with fuel, but don't go misplacing blame when you or others do and the hammer comes down due to choices and actions that crossed the line. Blaming other posters as the cause or justification to excuse anothers bad behavior only demonstrates a level of maturity that lacks self accountability.

Bottom line...It doesn't matter how any one individual poster feels about the game because either way, the only time anyone is going to get in trouble is when they chose to type things they shouldn't and hit the post button. You present all these "if" "and" or "but's"....yet there is no grey area here Ana when it comes to rules of conduct. Wrong is wrong and that has nothing to do with sides, but everything to do with conduct.

Wrong is wrong and a banned user shouldn't be on this forum to cause trouble. Yes it is flame baiting if the initial reason is to make a thread to spite another. They're fanning the flames and baiting other posters from the previous thread, that she was causing trouble in, to come in and start arguing. Last i checked having an opposing view is not offtopic conversation. If i don't agree with your posts or your ideals it doesn't mean im off topic. Flame baiting is not an opinion it's against the forum rules to do, clearly that op did just that. Especially when she specifically mentions the other op of the opposing thread in her post. That is what i specifically saw in that thread and why i don't take threads like that seriously nor do i participate in her discussions. As she's not wanting to discuss a thing she just wants to have her way and that is not how forums work. That discussion was not started off an article it was started because that op came from the most disappointing game of the year thread, because people disagreed with her posts. Which they're entitled to do, the same as posting an opposing view when she created a new thread. However, she made that thread shouldn't have called out the op of the other thread in there. Equally no poster should have been saying Bon's thread should be in feedback too. Which also was egging that person on to defend their position. She should't be placed in that position when she's done nothing wrong in the first place.

Regardless of no excuse for the choices we make, you said so yourself we have trouble makers on this forum from both sides who like to cause the trouble. There is no excuse for that op to start a thread to spite another on. Equally no excuse that people took the bait, however it's very clear there is a double standard on this forum the people feel that if they like the game they're free to just say whatever and however they want to people who don't, and break the forum rules while doing so. While many of us will demonstrate proper forum behavior let's be honest here we have a handful of users that won't. We shouldn't be defending them on anything whey they misbehave. Clearly her conduct caused this, if people respond to it, breaking the forum rules to do so than they're equally at fault as I said. However it doesn't mean that both groups shouldn't be in trouble. The thread should have been deleted and she should have been warned. Like I said if she had started that thread with the intentions to have a conversation about her opinion of the game i would more so likely take her side that she was free to keep it in general discussion and to pm a Guru about. Simple fact is she didn't and as i was reading through the thread i just saw it was asking for trouble when it got moved.

Frankly this is the net you aren't going to get so many people to obey the rules of conduct especially when forum conduct can have so many grey areas. That's where people are taking advantage of such a situation. You might feel this is a black and white situation with no grey in between however if that was the case we wouldn't have so much trouble with posters now would we? Equally doesn't help that we have players encouraging misconduct because this is why those players do it. For the attention. So if they say or do something we know is against the forum rules whether we agree with the post or not are we equally reporting it. No i can tell you now, no they're not. It's every time we let that misconduct slide, every time requote it, everytime we sit there liking or laughing at it, we forumers keep it going. Trolling, flame baiting, name calling, insulting, bullying people off forums, belittling, if you have misconduct in a thread period players shouldn't be taking sides to encourage it point blank. We shouldn't take that as opportunity to silence or throw another thread under the bus because we don't like said topic. However we know that doesn't happen on here does it. That's why we have moderators to keep the forums and topics clean as we know that handful is going to try and find grey areas and misbehave.
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    Does anyone still play the third Sims? I recently purchased seasons and I have many questions about that game.

@jenbugger04 welcome :smile: you'll find a sims3 section of the forums. Just click on the home icon at the top of the forum and scroll down to find it :smile:
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    Does anyone still play the third Sims? I recently purchased seasons and I have many questions about that game.

Welcome to the forums. This particular topic is discussing etiquette in the forums. If you want answers to your questions about The Sims 3, just scroll down. There is a section specifically for The Sims 3. You'll find lots of information there about the Sims 3.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    DarkslayerDarkslayer Posts: 9,074 Member
    edited January 2015
    I've missed a lot lately so I have also likely missed what has caused this latest debate but can someone please explain to me how a thread labelled "most disappointing game of 2014" is any less flame-baity than a thread titled "best game of 2014"?

Both are heavily based on opinions (I seem to recall the original thread having articles to "back this up", but even so what is "disappointing" is very much opinion-based and IMHO there were plenty of other games that could have been labelled "disappointing" that were released in 2014) and to be honest neither exactly encourage a friendly atmosphere here because you're always going to have the other side feeling belittled or attacked. I had no problem with the thread itself, but it was highly subjective.

If the other thread was a case of "this game is the greatest and everyone who doesn't think so can go away" then yeah, I understand because in no way should that be an acceptable way to post here but the way I look at we seem to be constantly at war with one another from whose opinion is right to who is being more victimized against. In a way I think all these trolls who were allowed to run riot here have completely ruined these forums and at this point I don't know if anything can be done about it. I've come back and I've found the atmosphere here is bad and it seems to be focused more on justifying ourselves rather than being able to have fun, light-hearted discussions.

Edit: Typo.
  • Options
    Darkslayer wrote: »
    I've missed a lot lately so I have also likely missed what has caused this latest debate but can someone please explain to me how a thread labelled "most disappointing game of 2014" is any less flame-baity than a thread titled "best game of 2014"?

Both are heavily based on opinions (I seem to recall the original thread having articles to "back this up", but even so what is "disappointing" is very much opinion-based and IMHO there were plenty of other games that could have been labelled "disappointing" that were released in 2014) and to be honest neither exactly encourage a friendly atmosphere here because you're always going to have the other side feeling belittled or attacked. I had no problem with the thread itself, but it was highly subjective.

If the other thread was a case of "this game is the greatest and everyone who doesn't think so can go away" then yeah, I understand because in no way should that be an acceptable way to post here but the way I look at we seem to be constantly at war with one another from whose opinion is right to who is being more victimized against. In a way I think all these trolls who were allowed to run riot here have completely ruined these forums and at this point I don't know if anything can be done about it. I've come back and I've found the atmosphere here is bad and it seems to be focused more on justifying ourselves rather than being able to have fun, light-hearted discussions.

@Darkslayer the difference is the disappointment one is actually based around an actual article. It's not to 'prove' any point. @06Bon06 put it there to spark a discussion-actually asking people to articulate how the article made each of us feel and why we feel one way or another.
    She's encouraged people from every opinion to post and it's been really successful in bridging gaps between users if you had been following it. It's very much contributed to a better feeling of unity and has actually repaired relations between this 'sides' atmosphere (which is ridiculous as we all love the sims series and that's why we are all here-bar the trolls!)

Your last paragraph is right-that's exactly what said thread started like. Telling others to plum off they aren't allowed to post here and moaning about how @06Bon06 is 'getting away' with something was very much contributory to people feeling hurt. I tried to talk to the OP in a reasonable way to explain why this would welcome that sort of trolling and there were changes made thankfully but by then she had lost control of her thread because people felt attacked initially. The people who were trolling were banned. That should have been the end of it. The moderators dealt with it and it's finished, time to move on. Instead we've got people 'calling out' @06Bon06 and the people who contribute perfectly sensibly on a thread which really had nothing to do with the other except the comments from the thread with issues made it so.

We have to be responsible for what we say and our conduct. I've managed to run a successful disappointed thread with all sorts of views-I work hard to step in before people get offended by posts which could hurt others and ask that things be edited (most of the time it's unintentional and bred from the atmosphere elsewhere on these forums) and I'm always really aware of being fair. I protect all of my participants, no matter their beliefs because I care about them and the integrity of the thread and the sensible messages within. Generally people see this and react by holding up a better standard than elsewhere because they respect I'm doing my best for everyone. It's not been easy, trust me, and often I'm dealing with issues behind the scenes to avoid mods from having to mediate over silly misunderstandings or something that doesn't require their limited time to deal with. The gurus have complimented me for my thread and the way I run it.
    I've been a victim of vicious trolling, I think because of this, and I'm very grateful to the moderators for dealing with it so well and quickly. It was dealt with so efficiently a lot of the 'drama' and hurt was avoided for the wider forum. I was just unfortunate that I saw it and was very much hurt and affected by it. It was dealt with so well other users were concerned they had somehow hurt me and went to my wall to offer apologies in case they had. Check my wall and my answer. That shows the wonderful people we share the community with :) the trolls can't beat us if we don't let them!

Frankly I'm quite disappointed in the inference that because one thread got off to a bad start due to bad behaviour and was moved because of a moderators opinion people continue to harass @06Bon06 who has worked herself hard to keep her topic largely conflict free and has encouraged people from all beliefs to have a say that she should be harassed and pointed at in this way.

@SimGuruBChick And @‌SimStaffBethelle think this whole situation is grossly unfair-there's no way that this should be allowed to go on. People were banned for misbehaving in the thread that was moved so it's not like there's favouritism here. This needs to be dealt with because it's upsetting the forum when we should be appreciating what you moderators are doing even if we don't agree-not 'blaming' users who have no say in movements or threads or other people's bad behaviour!
  • Options
    Gramz777Gramz777 Posts: 111 Member

Op started the thread and the derailment team showed up with their typical obnoxious gifs and insults offering nothing to the conversation. I am sure you have witnessed the routine. That is when OP got frustrated asking for it to stop..yes she made comments towards them out of frustration. When a mod showed up they moved her thread to feedback...OP commented why because it wasn't her fault that others turned her thread into a joke. Another poster commented that it wasn't fair for her thread to get moved to feedback, yet the disappointment thread wasn't. OP acknowledged that if she recalled once a thread was moved if it was moved back it would be hidden..mod came on and confirmed that. OP then acknowledged there was no need to have both threads tossed in the graveyard...basically saying she was willing to just let it go. Even after it was moved to feedback people would't just let it go and op ended up requesting that the thread be deleted.

There you go in a nutshell on what happened.
  • Options

Op started the thread and the derailment team showed up with their typical obnoxious gifs and insults offering nothing to the conversation. I am sure you have witnessed the routine. That is when OP got frustrated asking for it to stop..yes she made comments towards them out of frustration. When a mod showed up they moved her thread to feedback...OP commented why because it wasn't her fault that others turned her thread into a joke. Another poster commented that it wasn't fair for her thread to get moved to feedback, yet the disappointment thread wasn't. OP acknowledged that if she recalled once a thread was moved if it was moved back it would be hidden..mod came on and confirmed that. OP then acknowledged there was no need to have both threads tossed in the graveyard...basically saying she was willing to just let it go. Even after it was moved to feedback people would't just let it go and op ended up requesting that the thread be deleted.

And the instigator of the gif war was banned too.
  • Options
    MandylcdMandylcd Posts: 1,713 Member
    Mandylcd wrote: »
    To me, I don't think this forum is all that friendly but not entirely horrible, either. I do know that voicing your opinion does open doors for people to attack you. You are less likely to get attacked if your opinion matches the majority.

Hello IgnitedTobi1-

I can see why you write this-I can see how someone would come to the conclusion that this forum isn't that friendly but the truth is, it depends on what section you are in and what thread you are in. There are so many absolutely wonderful, kind, thoughtful, helpful and talented Simmers on this forum. They don't make waves and so they often get overlooked but the fact is that if you look all around this forum you will see many examples of what I am talking about here.

I do have to respectfully disagree with your comment that if your opinion matches the majority you are less likely to get attacked. I have said this many times now, but the truth is no matter what opinion someone has, what "side" that person is on there is typically someone who will come along and make an unkind to a rude comment. Someone posts their excitement for an upcoming game pack and someone else come along and makes an unkind comment. Someone creates a thread about their struggles and frustrations with Sims4 and someone comes along and makes an unkind comment. It happens constantly and with either "side" one might fall on-the major conflict being those who like Sims4 and those who do not.

I think that sometimes people might use a more clandestine tactic of trying to incite an argument so they appear to be making a less intrusive post, than say a sarcastic gif, but perhaps the person with the seemingly less intrusive post has a similar motive-to disrupt the thread. I think it all comes down to motive, as Jarsie wrote. When someone posts a comment or creates a thread, what is their desired result? If we want to have a more respectful forum we have to all ask ourselves before we post if we are maybe lashing out (in either obvious or less obvious ways) or are we attempting to engage in a conversation. Expressing our opinions about the Sims is one of the main purposes of this forum, no matter the opinion. Being hurtful and unkind to other people is not.

Beautiful post <3

Thank you so much for reading it and for your comment.
  • Options

Yes they were banned a day later...but not when it went down and her thread was moved to feedback... which is what made the whole thing more frustrating at the time.
  • Options

Yes they were banned a day later...but not when it went down and her thread was moved to feedback... which is what made the whole thing more frustrating at the time.

That's a moderators decision. I've had threads moved and sometimes we won't agree with it. All we can do is ask moderators to reconsider and abide by their decisions.

It has nothing to do with any other user who runs a thread in a section you think your thread should be.
  • Options
    Jarsie9 wrote: »
    When someone puts their *opinion* out on the forums, he or she should be prepared for dissenting opinions. I have said this before and I'll say it again: It *is* possible to make a thread that is positive towards The Sims 4 without starting a flame fest. It really all depends on what the poster's motive is when creating the thread. If the poster's intent is to simply discuss an aspect of the game that he or she personally enjoys and can do so without comparing it to one of the previous iterations, then, most of the time, the discussion can proceed in a civilized manner.

However, if the poster's intent is to dismiss other player's concerns and thereby put them on the defensive...and this works for both sides of the issue...that's not constructive and that person is deliberately being provocative and either wanting to cause drama and become the center of attention, OR sincerely thinks they're doing the right thing in trying to defend their love of the game, but doing so in such a way that it comes across as disparaging, condescending, and patronizing. I call those types of posters "The Voice of Reason" because that's usually the approach they take.

@Gramz777, you insist on trying to turn the OP of the "Best Game of 2014" thread into some sort of victim who got bullied by a bunch of people, but as I and another poster pointed out, her premise was faulty because it consisted solely of *her* opinion, had no objective evidence to support her contention, and clearly pointed to the fact that the OP didn't want any dissenting opinions. I'm sorry, but there is no law that says we should only post on threads that support our own viewpoint. Clearly the side that favors The Sims 4 has no problem going into threads and trying to do what I call "damage control" by trying to shame the posters of that thread (the ones which clearly state that they are negative in tone) into being silent because they're tired of all the complaining.

You're always going to have those posters who start a fire and then claim to be victims when they start getting burned. I say again that if people want to have helpful and healthy discussions about this game, then they should really try hard to post in a way that doesn't incite others into either an offensive or defensive position. There is a *reason* that I never start topics on here...I don't particularly have anything new to contribute, and I really don't want the aggravation.

Here's the thing though Jarsie, just as you can list valid points about what you are experiencing, those on the flip side are experiencing the same. It's a vicious cycle where nobody is doing anything but spinning their wheels in doing that. Instead of pointing fingers and placing blame on the individuals that are causing the problems, it's become a their side verse our side and innocent bystanders on both sides are getting thrown into the mix and lashed out at for it. I agree, a forum is a place where not everyone is going to agree on things..and some people are very good at doing so in a very condescending way, yet not breaking the rules. Not much we can do about that and all we can do is overlook those posters.

When you look at those who have different views on the game... yet can maintain a civilized discussion about it, and then pull them out from the rest of the posters who is left? there is the problem. Who are the one's on both sides who are always present when a discussion goes south, always in the middle of a thread gone bad ...there is the problem. It's not because people like or dislike the game that civilized discussions can't happen, it's people who are using one of those two game views to create division and where there is division there is drama...and some people love drama.

Trouble makers on both sides play people like a fiddle...
    Pro-4 players know those who are disappointed are already frustrated and heartbroken so they go and play on those emotions by rubbing it in and stirring the hornets nest to create tension on the forum.
    Anti-4 players go and play on those who are happy by drowning them out and frustrating them by derailing their threads to create tension on the forum.

And the trouble makers on both sides have been very effective in creating drama and a jerry springer like atmosphere. Sadly, it's a sick form of entertainment they enjoy at the cost of others. They are the one's who have created the side vs side mentality pitting players against one another. Take away their jerry springer environment and watch how fast they go elsewhere looking for their drama fix .....and the ones who remain surprise surprise are the very one's who were always able to have civilized discussions about what they like and dislike about the game.
    I think folks are paying way too much attention to the noise as whole with the side vs side mentality and not the specific individuals causing the noise on both sides.

• Options
    Yes @Gramz777‌ totally agree. If we, as a community, decide to leave history behind in the knowledge we were all played by trolls and start afresh with a different attitude to think the best of others and ignore trouble makers then we would all enjoy a much nicer atmosphere. It's already starting to change, it just needs a little more work from us all to not allow objectionable behaviour to be acceptable, lend support to others you feel are being treated harshly even if you don't agree, etc then soon the tolerance for that bad behaviour drops!
  • Options
    Yes @Gramz777‌ totally agree. If we, as a community, decide to leave history behind in the knowledge we were all played by trolls and start afresh with a different attitude to think the best of others and ignore trouble makers then we would all enjoy a much nicer atmosphere. It's already starting to change, it just needs a little more work from us all to not allow objectionable behaviour to be acceptable, lend support to others you feel are being treated harshly even if you don't agree, etc then soon the tolerance for that bad behaviour drops!

Frankly id be in support of the discussion even if im in disagreement of it if another more civil player had started it with the pretense of having a discussion. Rather than trying to issue a thread used for back and forth drama. That's why i didn't even comment in it because i saw the intial post before it was altered. I don't think dev's are creating favoritism here they're trying to figure out what is what and it's not always easy. I agree getting the forums back on point my stand to create better environment.

I just don't think doing it with a negative atmosphere is going to work. i still wish that dev's would start to looking into a forum rewards program as something to initiate better behavior as posters.
  • Options
    @Anavastia that's why I said earlier that this situation shouldn't even exist.

Said thread and the issues were dealt with by the moderators. Not everyone can know how it was dealt with other than we saw bans as that's obvious. It should be enough to trust in moderators or if you are concerned approach them for clarification yourselves privately. I'm sure they would encourage that instead of these sorts of telephone games where the complexity of the situation is missed and opinions are formed on the remnant of what gossip there is :smile:
  • Options

Said thread and the issues were dealt with by the moderators. Not everyone can know how it was dealt with other than we saw bans as that's obvious. It should be enough to trust in moderators or if you are concerned approach them for clarification yourselves privately. I'm sure they would encourage that instead of these sorts of telephone games where the complexity of the situation is missed and opinions are formed on the remnant of what gossip there is :smile:

Nods, i saw it had been removed anyway as i dont' see it in feedback or in general discussion. Probably good as it's something that had some fighting in anyway.

I like the contenst you started in the toddler thread and perhaps moderators or dev's can start to issue some healthy contests on here to create some positive atmosphere.

As i've discussed before negative reactions in a negative forum doesn't exactly lighten moods or encourage better behavior. Humans are natural social creatures and we naturally seek out praise and what not. It's why i feel a forum rewards program might be the best to issue for players who are obeying the forum rules. Forum games are always fun. However i was thinking of an accumlative point system where over time you draw points that you could use for forum perks like different sim backgrounds, stickers for your personal profile, or unique sim images for avatars and what not. Or some type of forum card game or collectable im sure a few people enjoy little things like that. If you recieve a warning you loose a substantial amount of points. I think that would have posters to think twice about their behavior and what they're posting. Along with really showing that more sensible posters are actually wanted here for discussions. I mean once dlc comes out players who amass a good number of points might be able to even apply it for something free who knows. However i think to create more positivity i don't think it should be left to player alone.

Also the report button needs to add an offtopic report. I have to choose harassment and say offtopic however it's not really harassment just that player is starting flame wars and making off topic conversations i should be allowed to report that person especially when asked to stop and they continue.

• Options
    TerrylinTerrylin Posts: 4,846 Member
    Good morning! You all have been busy while I was at the doctors! :o

I think allot of the issues here stem from one very big little word; Opinion

o·pin·ion
    əˈpinyən/
    noun
    noun: opinion; plural noun: opinions
    a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.
    "I'm writing to voice my opinion on an issue of great importance"
    synonyms: belief, judgment, thought(s), (way of) thinking, mind, (point of) view, viewpoint, outlook, attitude, stance, position, perspective, persuasion, standpoint; More
    sentiment, conception, conviction
    "she did not share her husband's opinion"
    as I see it, to my mind, (according) to my way of thinking, personally, in my estimation, if you ask me, for my money, in my book
    "in my opinion, the green tiles clash with the yellow walls"
    the beliefs or views of a large number or majority of people about a particular thing.
    "the changing climate of opinion"

Opinions are just that an opinion! They are not fact and they are not based on fact. They one or more persons perspective of what is being discussed. Notice I used the word discuss! ;) To many are of the opinion that their opinion is gospel and there isn't any other opinion. The only time this works is if you back it up with facts as @06Bon06‌ did in her thread. But as with a book, movie, or music even with the facts people have an opinion that may or not agree.

06Bon06's thread has shown that we can discuss our disappointment with the way this games direction is going and is welcome to all. Nobody has to agree to have a good discussion hashing out each persons reasoning for said like or dislike. Frustrations run high when people can't get another group of people to see eye to eye. That is what makes us individuals. Why on earth would anyone want us all to be and think alike. Each being different gives the world variety. Hence while you may have a differing opinion, agreeing to disagree is the only thing that can be done, unless you show the other person and change their opinion. (rare)

Here we have the child in the family that loves to make the other child cry, tell mom, and angry. Drama and attention plain and simple. Human nature in some to do things that are irritating to incite anger and also get a laugh. As I have said before "More people will laugh at a person when they fall down than will rush to help them up.". Why? Well you see one do it so follow the popular thing/herd instead of being the only one to help someone in need. Sad but I have seen it. I went to be sure they were OK by the way! Would you have?

What is even stranger is the animalistic behavior we have going. As in taking the bait!? Bait is used to trap hungry animals into a trap. Being hungry they over look the fact that it is a trap. What is the peoples excuse on this site to taking the bait? What are you hungry for? How does it please any vital need? Why are you baiting? Are you looking for fresh meat for supper? Those are the questions I have.

To avoid the issues avoid the bait!
  • Options
    nilaniusnilanius Posts: 1,984 Member
    Interesting so, the thread I made about loving Sims 4, got moved to the Sims 4 Feedback forum. Yet the threads about why people dislike sims 4 are allowed to remain on sims 4 general discussion? Guru's, if you are going to move threads about liking/loving the game to a feedback forum, then I do feel threads about disliking/hating it should also be moved there as well.
    tumblr_static_plumbob.gif
    My current feelings about The Sims 4. Here is hoping The Sims 5 can restore The Sims franchise.
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    Anavastia wrote: »

Nods, i saw it had been removed anyway as i dont' see it in feedback or in general discussion. Probably good as it's something that had some fighting in anyway.

I like the contenst you started in the toddler thread and perhaps moderators or dev's can start to issue some healthy contests on here to create some positive atmosphere.

As i've discussed before negative reactions in a negative forum doesn't exactly lighten moods or encourage better behavior. Humans are natural social creatures and we naturally seek out praise and what not. It's why i feel a forum rewards program might be the best to issue for players who are obeying the forum rules. Forum games are always fun. However i was thinking of an accumlative point system where over time you draw points that you could use for forum perks like different sim backgrounds, stickers for your personal profile, or unique sim images for avatars and what not. Or some type of forum card game or collectable im sure a few people enjoy little things like that. If you recieve a warning you loose a substantial amount of points. I think that would have posters to think twice about their behavior and what they're posting. Along with really showing that more sensible posters are actually wanted here for discussions. I mean once dlc comes out players who amass a good number of points might be able to even apply it for something free who knows. However i think to create more positivity i don't think it should be left to player alone.

Also the report button needs to add an offtopic report. I have to choose harassment and say offtopic however it's not really harassment just that player is starting flame wars and making off topic conversations i should be allowed to report that person especially when asked to stop and they continue.

I want stickers to post all over my page :3 I will be the sticker queen!!!
  • Options
    nilanius wrote: »
    Interesting so, the thread I made about loving Sims 4, got moved to the Sims 4 Feedback forum. Yet the threads about why people dislike sims 4 are allowed to remain on sims 4 general discussion? Guru's, if you are going to move threads about liking/loving the game to a feedback forum, then I do feel threads about disliking/hating it should also be moved there as well.

@nilanius and my very successful disappointment thread was moved to feedback too. There's no favouritism here-the gurus do their level best and it's unfair to cast aspersions on the moderators and gurus.
  • Options
    nilanius wrote: »

The irony if this is the negative threads are saying the same thing. If you will look there are/have been lots of people upset because it looked like the mods were only moving the negative threads to Feedback to die. Actually if you are expressing your opinion of like/dislike of TS4 it should actually go in feedback. That is what it essentially is. Lately you will have noticed that a lot of threads have been moved. They tightened/changed the rules some and are getting stricter as to when/what is moved.
    A couple of the assumed negative threads that haven't been moved are discussions about articles written about TS4. :)
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    Some threads have even been merged.

Bear in mind that even if we manage to "clean up" the forums, there's always going to be that ONE New Member that will come in and state their opinion in such a way that it's practically an attack. That's when we have to step back and give them the benefit of the doubt that possibly that's not what they meant to sound like. I think then is when we really need to watch the tone of our replies to the original post (whether it's Pro-TS4, Disappointed TS4, or Anti-TS4) to make sure we don't contribute to the flames.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    Jarsie9 wrote: »
    Some threads have even been merged.

Bear in mind that even if we manage to "clean up" the forums, there's always going to be that ONE New Member that will come in and state their opinion in such a way that it's practically an attack. That's when we have to step back and give them the benefit of the doubt that possibly that's not what they meant to sound like. I think then is when we really need to watch the tone of our replies to the original post (whether it's Pro-TS4, Disappointed TS4, or Anti-TS4) to make sure we don't contribute to the flames.

I so agree! It is very hard to trust a new member when we don't know if they are someone who was banned just out to continue their mischief or if they actually are a new member. That is also part of the problem.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I don't think many believed I was actually a new member when I joined too especially after I said that I kind of liked the Sims 4. XD Like I'm new to the Sims forums, but I've posted on the modthesims site before and been playing the games since the Sims 1 and even before that with the Sims City. But thankfully I found the family thread and have received a friendly welcome since then from fellow Simmers. I actually kind of thought we needed to buy the Sims 4 game like how the Sims 3 forums was set up. I was kind of glad that many Simmers were able to participate in forums together no matter which Sims game was their first one or their favorite.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    SimGuruBChickSimGuruBChick Posts: 1,013 SimGuru (retired)
    Hello everyone and a Happy New Year!

I have now returned from my Christmas break and am stunned by how much action I have missed on the Forums. I am sad to see that we did not manage to resolve all the conflict and trolling but am heartened by the sensible posting from so many of our regulars.

I want to reassure you that the Moderators continue to do their best to monitor the threads and take appropriate action as outlined in the Forum Rules. If you have any specific issues that you feel are not being addressed, then please do PM me so that I can investigate.

Looking forward to a spectacular 2015!
    SimGuruBChick
    Infinite Diversity, Infinite Combinations
    Thanks to 06bon06 for my lovely new signature pic

p8sfgs0mgkwd.jpg
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    @SimGuruBChick
    Welcome back ^^
    Glad to have you back :D
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top