The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

General Discussion Etiquette – PLEASE READ

Comments

• Options
    TerrylinTerrylin Posts: 4,846 Member
    Some people can't help it @Terrylin. They get so offended they lose their cool and say things that I'm sure under normal circumstances they wouldn't say. Its been a pressure cooker in here and many users can't get out of that defensive mindset :disappointed: it's why I think we could do with something that unites us :smile:

LOL The only thing that comes to mind that MIGHT unite this site is toddlers!
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    Some people from that thread have already gotten banned.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    Jarsie9 wrote: »
    Some people from that thread have already gotten banned.

:o:( So sad they just couldn't/wouldn't stop! :(
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    i always say its easier to be mean on the intenet because your not face to face. this is just my opion
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    i always say its easier to be mean on the intenet because your not face to face. this is just my opion

Yes that's true but also a reason to hold yourself to better if you can help it. I know I'd rather be known as being nice than for being mean! :smile:
  • Options
    edited January 2015

Yes that's true but also a reason to hold yourself to better if you can help it. I know I'd rather be known as being nice than for being mean! :smile:

i do hold my tounge. i don't like drama. it is just a game and we all want the same thing a game thats fun to play and create with . my point is every idea or any feedback given is to make the game better.
  • Options

i do hold my tounge. i don't like drama. it is just a game and we all want the same thing a game thats fun to play and create with . my point is every idea or any feedback given is to make the game better.

Yes we are agreeing :smile: it's best not to engage with people who want a fight. They never change.
  • Options
    dmel25dmel25 Posts: 1,514 Member

I find this belief funny because there is pretty much nothing on the internet that I say that I don't say in real life to people's faces. While this does happen that people say stuff because they're anonymous on the internet, but I have never done that. I say how I feel unless I know it will personally offend someone in which case I hold my tongue, I don't hide behind the anonymity of the internet to hurt people and be an 🐸🐸🐸🐸.
  • Options
    AnavastiaAnavastia Posts: 6,515 Member
    edited January 2015
    Gramz777 wrote: »
    This has nothing to do with civilized discussions about liking or disliking the game...this has everything to do with the conduct and manner in which select players are conducting themselves towards others based on tactics that are neither constructive or contributing to a thread discussion.

Latest example last night on a thread "best game of 2014". The "derailment team" shows up "club dancing" the thread as they have called it in previous occurrences, and of course they were allowed to be successful as usual. Here they come offering nothing to the discussion but their obnoxious gifs and rude comments followed by little snarky comments about nobody participating in the thread (which as usual is the whole point of their presence to ensure that) while others took a different mind game approach and put the blame on the OP for why it was happening therefore justifying their "disappointment" thread pals behavior with smirks on their faces. Finally a mod shows up...great!! oh but wait, what is the mod doing? Not only did the mod move the thread to the feedback section, but also took no action against the regulars who were clearly breaking rules and rudely and obnoxiously derailing the thread once again.

Not only is it disturbing that the mod as usual didn't even bother with taking action against the individuals that caused the problem, but the action the mod did take by moving the thread to feedback only created more bad feelings in the forums. This resulted in once again reverting attention back to why then is "the most disappointing game of the year" thread allowed to stay in the discussion forum? I don't think anyone really cares about it being there, but when actions like this are practiced by moderators and members of that thread are being allowed to disrupt the rest of the forum threads with different views, it creates a double standard and makes whatever reason the "disappointment" thread is being allowed, as well as the actions of it's thread members, come into question with unpleasant feelings and frustrations.

I am sorry but why wouldn't a player such as myself not start to feel like the rules are not being enforced and when they are, they come off as being selectively applied after things like this keep happening? it's disheartening and frustrating to come here and simply want to read what others are doing in their game that i hadn't thought of..or see if anyone has caught wind of any new announcements... read civilized discussions about ideas that would improve the game....but all i do is leave here and not even want to play the game or even think about the sims because all it does is remind me of the irritations witnessed on this forum.

Some how i don't think this is what Corporate had in mind when they provided this forum...especially when they put measures in place called forum rules to prevent it from becoming the atmosphere it has become.

However the op when posting that thread and several others already initiated the discussion to call out and flame bait those people into that thread. Mods should have deleted it from the get go, instead of moving it. I didn't comment it it because that op was already banned from this forum and tends to be a poster that likes to cause trouble. When you disagree with that op they say very rude things to the players. That op was mad their thread was moved to feedback and began harassing a different player. It doesn't help that other players equally came into the thread saying why isn't the other thread being moved. That's not the topic of your thread. Clearly it's asking for trouble and how we post makes a difference when interacting with each other. that thread was started because someone didn't like the discussion they were having in another thread instead starting it for a good topic discussion. That makes a huge difference as like i said this forum encourages and rewards group think tactics on other players.

What I think is also hostile is that people don't openly acknowledge the wrong the other side provokes first. It's disturbing to me that this forum has such strong double standards. You blame one side but don't require the other to obey the forum rules. Last i check you are not allowed to call out or name and shame other posters in this forum. Nor create topics to flame bait others into arguments. That thread in deed got moved to feedback because it was not based on an article and the discussion was the opinion and feedback of players on why they personally thought it was the best game for 2014. There is not double standard there, it's two different threads where as one is discussing an article and agreeing or disagreeing with it and providing supporting evidence of such. Knowing the op that started that bestgame thread you can't even step into the discussion and disagree with them without it reverting to some type of childish retaliation at the disagreement. So yes this is very much users taking the discussions to personal levels.

Frankly here we are again, classic case of people making this argument an us vs them situation. Honestly Bon's thread shouldn't be getting thrown under the bus here because of one players misbehavior in another thread. That thread was also moved to feedback. However bon talked to a guru on how it's not feedback but a discussion. Did the op of the other thread even put in the effort to have their thread moved back? Or correct his opening post so that it's not inciting flaming? No. That special treatment here is just imagined by players they move around threads they believe are feedback both positive and negative.

Frankly i think this is what corporate did have in mind as i still see they let those banned persons who constantly kick up and harrass others continually come back under different accounts to do the same thing over again. Like i said those who purposely use off topic discussion and come in to threads to make personal attacks on those posters have not been banned yet. Even though they've been reported hundreds of times by users. Not to mention the flame baiters are allowed as well to keep fights going between players and just talk to people however they want. Especially when it comes people who have set it in their mind they an treat people however they want because their protecting the game. As for the gif spamming those players banned have been warned about using gifs to provoke other players. If they're banned than their banned but again doesn't stop them from making new accounts and doing the same thing over and over.

To me two issues need to be solved here and making stricter forum rules are not working here. 1 is getting players to obe they forum rules.

Two is getting banned users to stay off the forums. I think if we give registration keys for the forums to one base game of sims 3 or sims 4 and that's it you can't use the registration keys from the expansion and stuff packs that might help slim down dozens of accounts being created. Then forum dev's should ip ban all accounts associated to the offender so that they can't just hop on another account and continue to cause trouble.
  • Options
    Anavastia wrote: »
    This has nothing to do with civilized discussions about liking or disliking the game...this has everything to do with the conduct and manner in which select players are conducting themselves towards others based on tactics that are neither constructive or contributing to a thread discussion.

Latest example last night on a thread "best game of 2014". The "derailment team" shows up "club dancing" the thread as they have called it in previous occurrences, and of course they were allowed to be successful as usual. Here they come offering nothing to the discussion but their obnoxious gifs and rude comments followed by little snarky comments about nobody participating in the thread (which as usual is the whole point of their presence to ensure that) while others took a different mind game approach and put the blame on the OP for why it was happening therefore justifying their "disappointment" thread pals behavior with smirks on their faces. Finally a mod shows up...great!! oh but wait, what is the mod doing? Not only did the mod move the thread to the feedback section, but also took no action against the regulars who were clearly breaking rules and rudely and obnoxiously derailing the thread once again.

Not only is it disturbing that the mod as usual didn't even bother with taking action against the individuals that caused the problem, but the action the mod did take by moving the thread to feedback only created more bad feelings in the forums. This resulted in once again reverting attention back to why then is "the most disappointing game of the year" thread allowed to stay in the discussion forum? I don't think anyone really cares about it being there, but when actions like this are practiced by moderators and members of that thread are being allowed to disrupt the rest of the forum threads with different views, it creates a double standard and makes whatever reason the "disappointment" thread is being allowed, as well as the actions of it's thread members, come into question with unpleasant feelings and frustrations.

I am sorry but why wouldn't a player such as myself not start to feel like the rules are not being enforced and when they are, they come off as being selectively applied after things like this keep happening? it's disheartening and frustrating to come here and simply want to read what others are doing in their game that i hadn't thought of..or see if anyone has caught wind of any new announcements... read civilized discussions about ideas that would improve the game....but all i do is leave here and not even want to play the game or even think about the sims because all it does is remind me of the irritations witnessed on this forum.

Some how i don't think this is what Corporate had in mind when they provided this forum...especially when they put measures in place called forum rules to prevent it from becoming the atmosphere it has become.

However the op when posting that thread and several others already initiated the discussion to call out and flame bait those people into that thread. Mods should have deleted it from the get go, instead of moving it. I didn't comment it it because that op was already banned from this forum and tends to be a poster that likes to cause trouble. When you disagree with that op they say very rude things to the players. That op was mad their thread was moved to feedback and began harassing a different player. It doesn't help that other players equally came into the thread saying why isn't the other thread being moved. That's not the topic of your thread. Clearly it's asking for trouble and how we post makes a difference when interacting with each other. that thread was started because someone didn't like the discussion they were having in another thread instead starting it for a good topic discussion. That makes a huge difference as like i said this forum encourages and rewards group think tactics on other players.

What I think is also hostile is that people don't openly acknowledge the wrong the other side provokes first. It's disturbing to me that this forum has such strong double standards. You blame one side but don't require the other to obey the forum rules. Last i check you are not allowed to call out or name and shame other posters in this forum. Nor create topics to flame bait others into arguments. That thread in deed got moved to feedback because it was not based on an article and the discussion was the opinion and feedback of players on why they personally thought it was the best game for 2014. There is not double standard there, it's two different threads where as one is discussing an article and agreeing or disagreeing with it and providing supporting evidence of such. Knowing the op that started that bestgame thread you can't even step into the discussion and disagree with them without it reverting to some type of childish retaliation at the disagreement. So yes this is very much users taking the discussions to personal levels.

Frankly here we are again, classic case of people making this argument an us vs them situation. Honestly Bon's thread shouldn't be getting thrown under the bus here because of one players misbehavior in another thread. That thread was also moved to feedback. However bon talked to a guru on how it's not feedback but a discussion. Did the op of the other thread even put in the effort to have their thread moved back? Or correct his opening post so that it's not inciting flaming? No. That special treatment here is just imagined by players they move around threads they believe are feedback both positive and negative.

Frankly i think this is what corporate did have in mind as i still see they let those banned persons who constantly kick up and harrass others continually come back under different accounts to do the same thing over again. Like i said those who purposely use off topic discussion and come in to threads to make personal attacks on those posters have not been banned yet. Even though they've been reported hundreds of times by users. Not to mention the flame baiters are allowed as well to keep fights going between players and just talk to people however they want. Especially when it comes people who have set it in their mind they an treat people however they want because their protecting the game. As for the gif spamming those players banned have been warned about using gifs to provoke other players. If they're banned than their banned but again doesn't stop them from making new accounts and doing the same thing over and over.

To me two issues need to be solved here and making stricter forum rules are not working here. 1 is getting players to obe they forum rules.

Two is getting banned users to stay off the forums. I think if we give registration keys for the forums to one base game of sims 3 or sims 4 and that's it you can't use the registration keys from the expansion and stuff packs that might help slim down dozens of accounts being created. Then forum dev's should ip ban all accounts associated to the offender so that they can't just hop on another account and continue to cause trouble.

Very well said! Thank you! :)
  • Options
    Gramz777Gramz777 Posts: 111 Member
    Anavastia wrote: »

Flame baiting Flame baiting Flame baiting....it's always because someone was flame baited. SIGH....that is not what i saw, but your entitled to your opinion. I don't know what happened on the prior thread, i am going by why happened on the thread mentioned. But regardless, starting a thread called best game of 2014 is not flame baiting. What i would consider flame baiting is going around accusing people of being a previous banned member and branding them with a stigma of someone they are more then likely not. Making accusations like this and assuming a poster's intent when there was nothing there to support it only further adds to the problems :(

Ana let's be honest, there are loose canyons on both sides. You have people who are disappointed with the game and those who are happy with it. Over time, a mentality of sides has formed pitting one view against the other. Until people stop that mentality and start holding each "individual" poster responsible for their actions instead of selectively doing so based on their views of the game... nothing is going to change. So let's be honest, this has nothing to do with whether one likes or dislikes the game, it has everything to do with CONDUCT.

There are no excuses and no one to blame for the choices we each make as to how we conduct ourselves on this forum.
    If you really feel like someone is flaming baiting you into an argument, it's your choice to participate and fan the flames with fuel, but don't go misplacing blame when you or others do and the hammer comes down due to choices and actions that crossed the line. Blaming other posters as the cause or justification to excuse anothers bad behavior only demonstrates a level of maturity that lacks self accountability.

Bottom line...It doesn't matter how any one individual poster feels about the game because either way, the only time anyone is going to get in trouble is when they chose to type things they shouldn't and hit the post button. You present all these "if" "and" or "but's"....yet there is no grey area here Ana when it comes to rules of conduct. Wrong is wrong and that has nothing to do with sides, but everything to do with conduct.
  • Options
    SelenaGrey wrote: »
    Which threads are people referring to?

You were lucky you missed them if you did, really sad to see things reverting back to the daftness we saw in September.
  • Options
    @Gramz777‌ so many of us have been moving away from this 'sides' mentality we saw infest the board in September. Generally people are getting on much better because of this and it couldn't be a better sign of progress!

Let me make this clear we totally agree on your points about personal responsibility and conduct. I very much respect you for that position and we have a lot in common :smile:

I also want to add this-if anyone sees rules being broken no matter which 'side' that person claims to be from they should be reporting. I always report when I notice bad behaviour from individual users no matter their position of 4.

If this community embraces unity we can make these forums inhospitable for trolls and bad behaviour-it would mean the mods could easily see it if people worked hard not to pay any attention to it and at the same time they want attention and sometimes to hurt others so they wouldn't get what they are after. If we refuse to let them win as a community then we can make this place safer for everyone :smile:
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    When someone puts their *opinion* out on the forums, he or she should be prepared for dissenting opinions. I have said this before and I'll say it again: It *is* possible to make a thread that is positive towards The Sims 4 without starting a flame fest. It really all depends on what the poster's motive is when creating the thread. If the poster's intent is to simply discuss an aspect of the game that he or she personally enjoys and can do so without comparing it to one of the previous iterations, then, most of the time, the discussion can proceed in a civilized manner.

However, if the poster's intent is to dismiss other player's concerns and thereby put them on the defensive...and this works for both sides of the issue...that's not constructive and that person is deliberately being provocative and either wanting to cause drama and become the center of attention, OR sincerely thinks they're doing the right thing in trying to defend their love of the game, but doing so in such a way that it comes across as disparaging, condescending, and patronizing. I call those types of posters "The Voice of Reason" because that's usually the approach they take.

@Gramz777, you insist on trying to turn the OP of the "Best Game of 2014" thread into some sort of victim who got bullied by a bunch of people, but as I and another poster pointed out, her premise was faulty because it consisted solely of *her* opinion, had no objective evidence to support her contention, and clearly pointed to the fact that the OP didn't want any dissenting opinions. I'm sorry, but there is no law that says we should only post on threads that support our own viewpoint. Clearly the side that favors The Sims 4 has no problem going into threads and trying to do what I call "damage control" by trying to shame the posters of that thread (the ones which clearly state that they are negative in tone) into being silent because they're tired of all the complaining.

You're always going to have those posters who start a fire and then claim to be victims when they start getting burned. I say again that if people want to have helpful and healthy discussions about this game, then they should really try hard to post in a way that doesn't incite others into either an offensive or defensive position. There is a *reason* that I never start topics on here...I don't particularly have anything new to contribute, and I really don't want the aggravation.

EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    IgnitedTobi1IgnitedTobi1 Posts: 926 Member
    To me, I don't think this forum is all that friendly but not entirely horrible, either. I do know that voicing your opinion does open doors for people to attack you. You are less likely to get attacked if your opinion matches the majority.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited January 2015
    Terrylin wrote: »

Yes I would love to have toddlers and family trees and better family interactions for the Sims 4. It would make me really happy and I agree that it is one of the few topics that majority of Simmers could agree on whether they like the Sims 4 or not. I'm just coping with lack of family play playing Sims 2 now. I really missed my toddler Sims and all their cute interactions especially with my pets.

“Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    MandylcdMandylcd Posts: 1,713 Member
    To me, I don't think this forum is all that friendly but not entirely horrible, either. I do know that voicing your opinion does open doors for people to attack you. You are less likely to get attacked if your opinion matches the majority.

Hello IgnitedTobi1-

I can see why you write this-I can see how someone would come to the conclusion that this forum isn't that friendly but the truth is, it depends on what section you are in and what thread you are in. There are so many absolutely wonderful, kind, thoughtful, helpful and talented Simmers on this forum. They don't make waves and so they often get overlooked but the fact is that if you look all around this forum you will see many examples of what I am talking about here.

I do have to respectfully disagree with your comment that if your opinion matches the majority you are less likely to get attacked. I have said this many times now, but the truth is no matter what opinion someone has, what "side" that person is on there is typically someone who will come along and make an unkind to a rude comment. Someone posts their excitement for an upcoming game pack and someone else come along and makes an unkind comment. Someone creates a thread about their struggles and frustrations with Sims4 and someone comes along and makes an unkind comment. It happens constantly and with either "side" one might fall on-the major conflict being those who like Sims4 and those who do not.

I think that sometimes people might use a more clandestine tactic of trying to incite an argument so they appear to be making a less intrusive post, than say a sarcastic gif, but perhaps the person with the seemingly less intrusive post has a similar motive-to disrupt the thread. I think it all comes down to motive, as Jarsie wrote. When someone posts a comment or creates a thread, what is their desired result? If we want to have a more respectful forum we have to all ask ourselves before we post if we are maybe lashing out (in either obvious or less obvious ways) or are we attempting to engage in a conversation. Expressing our opinions about the Sims is one of the main purposes of this forum, no matter the opinion. Being hurtful and unkind to other people is not.
  • Options
    Mandylcd wrote: »

Hello IgnitedTobi1-

I can see why you write this-I can see how someone would come to the conclusion that this forum isn't that friendly but the truth is, it depends on what section you are in and what thread you are in. There are so many absolutely wonderful, kind, thoughtful, helpful and talented Simmers on this forum. They don't make waves and so they often get overlooked but the fact is that if you look all around this forum you will see many examples of what I am talking about here.

I do have to respectfully disagree with your comment that if your opinion matches the majority you are less likely to get attacked. I have said this many times now, but the truth is no matter what opinion someone has, what "side" that person is on there is typically someone who will come along and make an unkind to a rude comment. Someone posts their excitement for an upcoming game pack and someone else come along and makes an unkind comment. Someone creates a thread about their struggles and frustrations with Sims4 and someone comes along and makes an unkind comment. It happens constantly and with either "side" one might fall on-the major conflict being those who like Sims4 and those who do not.

I think that sometimes people might use a more clandestine tactic of trying to incite an argument so they appear to be making a less intrusive post, than say a sarcastic gif, but perhaps the person with the seemingly less intrusive post has a similar motive-to disrupt the thread. I think it all comes down to motive, as Jarsie wrote. When someone posts a comment or creates a thread, what is their desired result? If we want to have a more respectful forum we have to all ask ourselves before we post if we are maybe lashing out (in either obvious or less obvious ways) or are we attempting to engage in a conversation. Expressing our opinions about the Sims is one of the main purposes of this forum, no matter the opinion. Being hurtful and unkind to other people is not.

Beautiful post <3
  • Options
    Scobre wrote: »

Yes I would love to have toddlers and family trees and better family interactions for the Sims 4. It would make me really happy and I agree that it is one of the few topics that majority of Simmers could agree on whether they like the Sims 4 or not. I'm just coping with lack of family play playing Sims 2 now. I really missed my toddler Sims and all their cute interactions especially with my pets.

what about seasons pets and universty. not saying i don't want toddlers if they come back. its just that there seems to be a lot of posts about these too.
  • Options

what about seasons pets and universty. not saying i don't want toddlers if they come back. its just that there seems to be a lot of posts about these too.

None of those were base game content. Toddlers were :smile:
  • Options

now i get it. i had forgotten that
  • Options

now i get it. i had forgotten that
    No problem, we all forget stuff sometimes-I've been switching from ts2/3 and I get confuzzled over what's in which sometimes ;)
  • Options
    edited January 2015

Season, pets, and university will be released in an EP like they have in prior games. Toddlers and family trees is just something I've wanted since purchasing the Sims 4 that were in the Sims 2 and 3 base games. I'm hoping that those EPs will return since those are actually some of my favorite EPs. It's just strange that neither toddlers or family trees are in the Sims 4.
    Post edited by Scobre on
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options

Season, pets, and university will be released in an EP like they have in prior games. Toddlers and family trees is just something I've wanted since purchasing the Sims 4 that were in the Sims 2 and 3 base games so I'm hoping that they will return since those are actually some of my favorite EPs. It's just strange that neither are in the Sims 4.

i really want family trees. i just started doing legacies and one of my male sims moved in with his aunt. a family tree would have been helpful since he was my heir. i am sorry for being of topic.
  • Options

Season, pets, and university will be released in an EP like they have in prior games. Toddlers and family trees is just something I've wanted since purchasing the Sims 4 that were in the Sims 2 and 3 base games so I'm hoping that they will return since those are actually some of my favorite EPs. It's just strange that neither are in the Sims 4.

i really want family trees. i just started doing legacies and one of my male sims moved in with his aunt. a family tree would have been helpful since he was my heir. i am sorry for being of topic.
    Yeah family trees really need to be done anyway because the incest glitch is effecting a lot of Simmers without having it around. Poor Don Lothario needs it for all the babies he tends to make. It's kind of strange thinking he'll have baby to child offspring really fast without having the toddler life stage around.

This discussion has been closed.
Return to top