Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

why do people like custom cas content?

I was wondering this as I was scrolling through the gallery because there are tons of custom sim and personally I don't like them because they make the sims look like avatars from imvu and when they look this weird pale colour it looks kinda creepy can somebody please tell my why because I would like to understand

Comments

• Options
    TrycTryc Posts: 123 Member
    edited December 2014
    Taste is subjective.

Why do some people like chocolate instead of vanilla? Why do some people like one color more than another? Why do some people prefer anime over live action? Why do some people like heavy metal music and others don't?

You've heard "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" haven't you?
  • Options
    nettlejuicenettlejuice Posts: 144 Member
    I guess I like custom content because it gives my Sims a unique look - without them they pretty much look the same. I don't like crazy hair colours though so I tend to stick to natural colours but the clothes are always something I wish I could wear in real life but don't have the nerve to try.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    edited January 2015
    Because they don't like the current art style, or they just want to enhance it, and just like people don't like the same foods, the same movies, or the same clothing styles, it shouldn't be surprising that they want their sims to look different from the standard style.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    HagfisherHagfisher Posts: 950 Member
    I personally won't use CC for making my sims. I used it in Sims 3 so I could make an OC, but it was only an eye patch. Other than that, I prefer to keep CC out of my game because it makes everything look so much smoother.

@Tryc CC taste IS subjective! I was just gonna say that, but you posted it here before me.

I've had some bad experience with CC, too. CC depends on the person, especially amount and color. Sometimes, sims are modded to the netherworld and back and don't even look like sims anymore. Perhaps you want a good life simulator but don't like how sims look? Then add in some CC.
    125722018d2ffda673d70ee3796940a120b51e40.png

• Options
    kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    Mostly it comes down to the fact that Maxis has terrible taste in fashion, especially in the base game.

That said, I do agree with you about the general Uncanny Valley-ness of many custom Sims... it makes it next to impossible to find anything decent for male Sims (who already have a hard time with a lack of content), as every CC for men tends to make them look like a creepy plastic Ken doll.

But, y'know, different strokes for different folks.
    wJbomAo.png
  • Options
    friendsivemadefriendsivemade Posts: 44 Member
    I think CC keeps things interesting. I swore I wouldn't use them in TS4 but now that's all I use. /sigh
  • Options
    Lindie_DBLindie_DB Posts: 38 Member
    For variety. There's only so many times I can reuse the same content before my (admittedly short) attention span goes haywire.

There are some amazing content creators out there, and their art puts what ships with the game to shame. I like having eyes with more depth and sparkle, and enough hair/makeup/clothes that every sim I make looks different.
  • Options
    jauntyjaunty Posts: 3,336 Member
    I love cc always have done. I have quite a bit for sims 3 and have lots of cc for sims 4 it's what I prefer,everyone has different preferences which is good :-)
    m0oUDbi.jpg
  • Options
    PheobelisPheobelis Posts: 45 Member
    I like cc, but I usually look for Maxis match stuff.
  • Options
    NaydiNaydi Posts: 387 Member
    One word: Shopping
    This I do for the fun of it.
    • My Sims 4 Blog with Custom Content and Commentary is at Celynoir
    • Get my Custom Content at The Sims 4 Noir and Mod the Sims.
    • More downloads, houses and Sims, are available in the Gallery, under Naydi33.
  • Options
    MewMew Posts: 93 Member
    I use CC because I like to make my Sims look very individual.

Anyway, in TS4, I've mostly stuck with finding CC that looks Maxis-styled cartoony for continuity. I think the other stuff (like hairs where you can see individual strands) looks weird in the game.

And also I'm a fantasy geek. Things like horns and elf ears happen a lot in my game.
    mew~
    Scz0hyy.gif
  • Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    edited January 2015
    Because I can :) I like it, not all of it, but a lot of it.

whatever floats your boat and each to their own and all that...pretty obvious really :)
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options
    Christal_LiteeChristal_Litee Posts: 4 New Member
    cc is great , if your like me cc is great for making my sims look more unique , it brings more of your own style into the game
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    ltheboss wrote: »
    I was wondering this as I was scrolling through the gallery because there are tons of custom sim and personally I don't like them because they make the sims look like avatars from imvu and when they look this weird pale colour it looks kinda creepy can somebody please tell my why because I would like to understand

The Sims has always been a highly modded game. It started out that way because Will Wright wanted people to be able to explore their own creativity. That meant giving them the tools (inside the games) that would let them create their own tools, their own mods, etc. Maxis used to support the modding community and often had links on their official sites to highly desirable sites where well made custom content was created. They have featured many modders on their sites and done many interviews of those creative people. It's always been a game where people wanted to create and do whatever they wanted in these games. And hopefully that will never change. It was never meant to be a game you just played what you were given but a way for you to explore what you can create and share and make the game better for yourself. It was never the 'vision' of The Sims to stifle the creativity of it's fans. It's just a Sim thing.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    linkster123linkster123 Posts: 148 Member
    I use loads of cc but mostly mods that fix issues or add to the game. For CAS I only get things that give me more hair options, enhanced eye detail (without changing color), more clothes to pick from, and a skin tone that looks smooth like the default but with more definition on the textures.

I agree, those modded skins look downright creepy like the people are undead.
    Origin ID: Sheikus
  • Options
    HagfisherHagfisher Posts: 950 Member
    I used NRaas for Sims 3 and an eye patch mod. Some other CC came in with exchange downloads so I got rid of most of them, kept some lipstick CC. However, I have a character that I make anytime I have a chance named Scottie. He has an eye patch, but other than that I use no other CC.

I like to keep my game without CC, because I have had a few experiences that caused my computer to die, but I don't keep myself above adding CC or mods. Sometimes it helps to make the game more playable and individualize sims. But I have seen some sims that don't look like sims anymore. I like to keep mine true to the original game's design.

Scottie is in my signature. His face is, at least.
    125722018d2ffda673d70ee3796940a120b51e40.png

• Options
    carroebcarroeb Posts: 37 Member
    Love cc... always have, always will. It's an addiction lol.
  • Options
    lovelylisaclovelylisac Posts: 1,291 Member
    I personally use CC so I can make my sims look like the people they represent. I have curly hair, so my Simself needs curly hair. I have to use CC to get decent curly hair. Subtle makeup, realistic skintones, pretty maxi skirts, Hello Kitty clothes for my sim girls, a decent choice of running shoes, there's so much I need CC for.
  • Options
    lazer_lemon23lazer_lemon23 Posts: 12 New Member
    > @carroeb said:
    > Love cc... always have, always will. It's an addiction lol.

Lol, I agree. I always end up setting out to play the game and end up on hour long CC downloading binges, haha. Totally an addiction!!

But in response to OP, I think it just adds something to the experience. I mostly like cc objects but do enjoy some CAS items such as eyes & clothing/shoes/accessories. I use a few custom skins but I'm super picky about cc skins. I agree that a lot of the skins have a creepy effect. Especially when they have that weird reddish coloring around the eyes, it freaks me out! What it comes down to, I think, is I like variety and the ability to accurately translate the image in my head to the game, which I don't feel I could do w/o CC.
  • Options
    AurievaAurieva Posts: 83 Member
    I used CC A LOT in TS2, it kept an otherwise old game looking modern and up to date. I loved the scope of it too, the community was so large and vast, I had so many outfits, eye colours, skin colours, items, houses - you name it! It was like having stuff packs or EPs but for free. I really liked that.

That said I haven't touched CC in TS4, I really like how my sims look now and how much you can alter them in CAS and where it all looks so smooth I don't feel like I need it like I did with TS2. I like the style of TS4 and I like them as they are.

But who knows? Maybe I'll get a wild hair and I'll go on a mad one on the sims resource :P. I do see the appeal of CC and why people would veer away from it. Either way it's up to you :)
    - Auri

My TS4 Teen Runaway Challenge:
    Prologue
    Chapter 1
  • Options
    thundergimmickthundergimmick Posts: 140 Member
    It usually brings new aged fashion and hair that Maxis will never bring to the game.
    tumblr_mjgcdaX8gw1rfyso2o1_500.gif
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    I like pale, different, creepy... in Sims. :yum:
  • Options
    kay_blogskay_blogs Posts: 67 Member
    I like having more variety in clothes, hair, furniture, makeup, etc. I don't usually add custom skins though, as the default ones are usually good enough. And I feel Sims 4, specifically, needs CC as you're not allowed to change the colours or designs on clothing anymore.
  • Options
    Hoodie HuggerHoodie Hugger Posts: 5 New Member
    Sometimes Maxis makes weird decisions. For example, they decided that wristwatches were only for men so I found someone who cloned a wristwatch and made it wearable by women. Maybe someone else will make one that you can wear on your left wrist, not just the right. Surely I'm not the only one who wears my watch on my left wrist.
  • Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    Sometimes Maxis makes weird decisions. For example, they decided that wristwatches were only for men so I found someone who cloned a wristwatch and made it wearable by women. Maybe someone else will make one that you can wear on your left wrist, not just the right. Surely I'm not the only one who wears my watch on my left wrist.

This took me by surprise, I have always been under the impression that it was conventional to wear a watch on the left wrist. If you look at a conventional mechanical watch the winder points outwards when worn on the left. Digital watches continued this tradition by putting the control buttons in the same position.

My contribution to the day's trivia :)
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison