Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why does The Sims 4 only use Build Mode instead of Build/Buy Mode?

Since The Sims 4 came out, this got me wondering why The Sims 4 no longer uses the term Buy Mode or Build/Buy like in previous games. TS4 just calls it Build Mode and this confused me at first.

You may remember from the original Sims to The Sims 3 Pets on consoles, they were called Build Mode and Buy Mode. In The Sims 4, Buy Mode and Build Mode are just referred to as Build Mode, Buy Mode is never mentioned at all.

I'm sure people who played TS3 or earlier could get confused or wondering why Buy Mode isn't mentioned. I'm guessing saying Build Mode is better than saying Buy/Build Mode or Buy Mode and Build Mode but I'm not sure.
Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer

Comments

• Options
    krystle0385krystle0385 Posts: 563 Member
    I actually like this. I feel like there was always a little lag when waiting to switch from build mode to buy mode and it was unnecessary. I'm buying things in build mode sometimes (swimming pool accessories, bushes, whatever). So, why not combine them? I think it was a change for the better. Also, I didn't experience any confusion, since once you switch to Build Mode you find where to buy items immediately.
  • Options
    poisonedsodapoppoisonedsodapop Posts: 1,179 Member
    I like the change too. Depending on my mood I'll build the shell of the house, furnish, then put in windows and wallpaper. Just depends what I'm building.
    Hoping some day for some toddlers. But also dreading they'll never come. JK THEY ARE HERE!
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    The wording is confusing for sure for players of previous games. I do like that it's all in one area, though.

I wonder if they aren't holding back "Buy" to use for "Buy with actual money from a Sims 4 store in-game".
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    Actually, I never found it confusing and I've played both Sims 2 and Sims 3. It's really not that hard to figure out which items are in buy and which are in build. The only thing I don't like is that there is no community sort with items that will only work on a community lot.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    I have to say, too, that I like the change. As for confusion, it was more having to move my curser to the upper right hand corner of the screen versus many years of going to the lower left corner of the screen. And having the icons of the family members on the bottom row, versus the left vertical where they'd been for years. Now, that's confusing. Despite playing this game nearly every day since it's release, I'm still queuing up actions for the wrong Sim! :#
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    is one of the best changes
  • Options
    br560br560 Posts: 1,836 Member
    I like this small change. I was confused at first but then I came to like it.
    Br560.
    Playing the sims since 2012
  • Options
    Nik24X7Nik24X7 Posts: 7,865 Member
    Actually, I prefer that they're combined into one feature. In Sims 3, I would get frustrated that an item that I'm looking for is in Build Mode and not Buy Mode or vice versa.
    Origin ID: nik24x7
  • Options
    VlaxitovVlaxitov Posts: 5,798 Member
    Browsing for items in TS3 is probably twice as user friendly as in TS4.

They changed it, added drop menus, made it more complicated, just for the sake of being different in TS4.

TS4's UI is also a total abomination, spread out across 3 corners of the screen instead of all located in one spot like its been in 1-2-3.

TS4's UI is clearly made with tablets in mind.

• Options
    WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    Combining it to one mode makes it easy although the issue is getting used to the button and shortcut placements. For example, previous games has Options, Build, Buy, and Live Mode on the bottom left, Sims on the left as, the Sim tabs on the left and notifications that don't disappear right away. In TS4, the Build/Live Mode and Options are on the top right, Sims on the bottom, the Sim tabs on the right and notifications that disappear right away but it can be shown with a button on the top right.

Another issue would be the keys such as J opening Careers in TS4 which opened the Skill Journal in TS3, kinda annoying if you're finding yourself opening the Careers tab in TS4 when you wanted skills or opening the Skill Journal when you wanted Careers in TS3. The Skills key in TS4 is now L which in TS3 opens the Celebrity Journal. Also F5 doesn't option Options which is now Esc.
    Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer
  • Options
    leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    Vlaxitov wrote: »
    TS4's UI is clearly made with tablets in mind.

There is Sims 4 for Android?
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    I like that they are now combined. Much better!
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Well console versions of the game I cannot speak of as I don't use consoles. We stopped playing consoles a good 20 years ago when we graduated to pc games so I have no idea their style of handling a sims game - but from my understanding there is little in common with a pc version and a console version,. Perhaps if they come out with a console version of Sims 4 - they may have it the same way. But honestly I never really noticed. I don't care what it is called as long as I can get to my stuff I am happy. hehehe

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    It's an all in one system. I like it better.
  • Options
    jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    I really like the new combined system.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Posts: 4,220 Member
    I was confused at first, but now I like it. It makes it easier.
  • Options
    jessathemessajessathemessa Posts: 2,342 Member
    I like it better. Then you don't have to switch between the two. It is one of the new things I really like about the game.
  • Options
    Winifred_WWinifred_W Posts: 136 Member
    I prefer the new interface and didn't find it confusing when I first used it. Of course the tutorial feature walked me through a lot of it whether I wanted to or not but I think in this case it was a good thing.