Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Which Gaming Laptop is for Me? :D

libra_stylelibra_style Posts: 1,229 Member
edited November 2014 in PC - Technical Discussions
Seasonal Greetings Everyone,

I was looking through some the forum topics like the graphic cards one and starting looking for a new laptop that is capable of running The Sims 4 smoothly even when there expansion packs added to this game and needed some help.

Here are 2 that caught my interest so far:

1. MSI - GT60 Dominator-660 15.6" Laptop - Intel Core i7 - 12GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive - Brush Aluminum Black (For specs click here)

2. Asus - 17.3" Laptop - Intel Core i7 - 8GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive - Black (For specs click here)

If you have any suggestions for playing the game on ultra please feel free to post them here :smile: and thank you in advance.
Post edited by libra_style on

Comments

• Options
    songsmith2003songsmith2003 Posts: 1,461 Member
    I always go for the one with more RAM, though not sure how useful that will be for Sims. From what I understand, it's still meant to run on 32-bit systems, so doesn't take advantage of the extra RAM. Anyway, I'm not a computer person. I thought I could upgrade my video card on a laptop. Dur. (Fortunately my gaming laptop was high end when I bought it and more than adequate for current games even two years later.)

Anyway, that's my two bits. Someone with tons more knowledge will reply and be able to help you much better!
  • Options
    I always go for the one with more RAM, though not sure how useful that will be for Sims. From what I understand, it's still meant to run on 32-bit systems, so doesn't take advantage of the extra RAM. Anyway, I'm not a computer person. I thought I could upgrade my video card on a laptop. Dur. (Fortunately my gaming laptop was high end when I bought it and more than adequate for current games even two years later.)

Anyway, that's my two bits. Someone with tons more knowledge will reply and be able to help you much better!

Thank you for response, I also would go for the one with more RAM especially since I'll be using it for school as well and doing a lot of digital work with photos and videos. :)

• Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    of course, there are going to be many who will tell you that this game should only be played on a desktop, but I almost wish I hadn't given my laptop to my grandson. I let him have it thinking I would be able to get a new one. Too bad I can't take it back.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    MinaInMSMinaInMS Posts: 31 Member
    The sims is not as intensive as yall think. Either of those are probably overkill. I'm running a 4 year old AMD Phenom 2 (830, not even a 9 series or a black edition) - 8 gigs of ram (also overkill) - and a radeon hd 7770 gpu (less than $100) - on ultra with 0 lag.
  • Options
    MauveeMauvee Posts: 185 Member
    edited November 2014
    One thing I suggest is not buying it from Bestbuy! Honestly a huge rip off. Newegg is completely legit, and they usually express ship so you recieve it the next day, I've ordered parts from there, monitors, etc without issues.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152557&cm_re=MSI_-_GT60_Dominator-_-34-152-557-_-Product
    $1,194.00 - so $150 savings compared to Bestbuy.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231630&cm_re=Asus_-_17.3%22_Laptop_860m-_-34-231-630-_-Product
    $1,199.00 - same $150 savings about.

Asus ends up being better you also get a $199.00 value pack for free with the purchase and free shipping.

Info on the bundle:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16800985052

860m is overall better graphics but not by much.
    But I would still probably go with Asus. Both are decent laptops. Your choice, you won't see a heck of a difference, comes down to preference.

Although I did see that Bestbuy price matches so if you can show them those links in store they might be able to match it. Although if you were interested in that bundle thing with Asus you probably won't get it from Bestbuy.

Hope that I was the least bit helpful in your decision making!

PS. You'll play Ultra with these with no issues.

• Options
    Clarkie100Clarkie100 Posts: 1,708 Member
    MinaInMS wrote: »
    The sims is not as intensive as yall think. Either of those are probably overkill. I'm running a 4 year old AMD Phenom 2 (830, not even a 9 series or a black edition) - 8 gigs of ram (also overkill) - and a radeon hd 7770 gpu (less than $100) - on ultra with 0 lag.

Hmm, mines AMD and is a year old and I wouldn't even try and run it on ultra, low it's managing ok, I think ultra would kill mine.
  • Options
    Mauvee wrote: »
    One thing I suggest is not buying it from Bestbuy! Honestly a huge rip off. Newegg is completely legit, and they usually express ship so you recieve it the next day, I've ordered parts from there, monitors, etc without issues.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152557&cm_re=MSI_-_GT60_Dominator-_-34-152-557-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231630&cm_re=Asus_-_17.3%22_Laptop_860m-_-34-231-630-_-Product

Asus ends up being better you also get a $199.00 value pack for free with the purchase and free shipping.

Info on the bundle:

But I would still probably go with Asus. Both are decent laptops. Your choice, you won't see a heck of a difference, comes down to preference.

Although I did see that Bestbuy price matches so if you can show them those links in store they might be able to match it. Although if you were interested in that bundle thing with Asus you probably won't get it from Bestbuy.

OMG thank you I totally forgot about the price match thing, I will try that and see if it works lol
  • Options
    Clarkie100 wrote: »

Hmm, mines AMD and is a year old and I wouldn't even try and run it on ultra, low it's managing ok, I think ultra would kill mine.

I agree that's what happened to my last laptop and my laptop just wouldn't do anything afterwards so it somehow just ran into my fist and may laptop rest easy RIP HP Laptop you've done your job long enough lol.

• Options
    Do you guys think it would be easier to build my own computer/laptop?
  • Options
    MauveeMauvee Posts: 185 Member
    You could build a decent gaming desktop for around $800. They have some great Black Friday deals going on.
  • Options
    Clarkie100Clarkie100 Posts: 1,708 Member
    edited November 2014

I agree that's what happened to my last laptop and my laptop just wouldn't do anything afterwards so it somehow just ran into my fist and may laptop rest easy RIP HP Laptop you've done your job long enough lol.

^This.

You could build your own desktop, just make sure you know what you need. Like the processor, RAM, Hard Drive, Graphics Card ect. And make sure it meets the recommended specs for TS4 as well.

Check the Frequently asked Questions on this site, but aim for the recommended and not the minimum specs, as this will result in poor performance.
  • Options

^This.

You could build your own desktop, just make sure you know what you need. Like the processor, RAM, Hard Drive, Graphics Card ect. And make sure it meets the recommended specs for TS4 as well.

Check the Frequently asked Questions on this site, but aim for the recommended and not the minimum specs, as this will result in poor performance.

Thank you I will look into that

• Options
    You could build a decent gaming desktop for around $800. They have some great Black Friday deals going on.

Wow really??
  • Options
    coulditbemecoulditbeme Posts: 2 New Member
    Also some very good gaming laptops deals:
    www.gaminglaptopsjunky.com/black-november-black-friday-2014/

What games did you have in mind?
  • Options
    Also some very good gaming laptops deals:<br />
    www.gaminglaptopsjunky.com/black-november-black-friday-2014/<br />
    <br />
    What games did you have in mind?

The sims of course and games like tomb raider, plants vs zombies, battlefield and little more lol
  • Options
    coulditbemecoulditbeme Posts: 2 New Member
    Well, you could go with the Asus N550JK for example, for $930
    But if you want a faster machine you can get the VN7-591G

The VN7 has a dimmer screen, at least in some of the models, but it might get better. What do you think?
  • Options
    CodySimsteinCodySimstein Posts: 1,466 Member

Wow really??

Hello,

Would you like advice for building a good value desktop for that budget? A desktop, especially one built yourself, can often be the best value for money and has quite a number of advantages.

I hope this helps and keep simming,

Cody
    Member of the Tech Responders team.

Ask me about custom-built PCs!

Need to upgrade? - $400 for high settings in Sims 4 --> http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LtphdC
  • Options

Wow really??

Hello,

Would you like advice for building a good value desktop for that budget? A desktop, especially one built yourself, can often be the best value for money and has quite a number of advantages.

I hope this helps and keep simming,

Cody

sure i wouldn't doing this

• Options
    Well, you could go with the Asus N550JK for example, for $930<br />
    But if you want a faster machine you can get the VN7-591G<br />
    <br />
    The VN7 has a dimmer screen, at least in some of the models, but it might get better. What do you think?

Where would I get this system for the price you stated?
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    I'd go for the MSI, it's looks like a good gaming laptop. I'm looking to buy one as well.

If you are only looking to play Sims though it's a bit of a waste in my opinion ;)
  • Options
    06Bon06 wrote: »
    I'd go for the MSI, it's looks like a good gaming laptop. I'm looking to buy one as well.

If you are only looking to play Sims though it's a bit of a waste in my opinion ;)

Oh nooo in plan to play many different games which is why i need something powerful lol
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    I have a 2 year old Alienware, which also has TS3 on and it works great. Hubby is getting me a solid state hard drive for Christmas to speed up the loading of both games (especially TS3)
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,972 Member

Info on the bundle:

I get all my computer parts from Newegg and their customer service is tops.

Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    @libra_style

That's great then! I'd say the MSI is the best one then, I'm looking to buy one with 8GB of RAM.