The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

HALLELU!

Comments

• Options
    TrickTrick Posts: 1,538 Member
    edited October 2014
    JoxerTM22 wrote: »
    Trick wrote: »
    TS4 may have its issues, but for most people, running like total crap all of the time isn't really one of them.
    Sadly, I'm not in those "most". Wish I was.
    No matter. Sooner or later you'll join my side. Just play the game some more.

Not likely. As much as some people who don't like the game seem to feel that, since they don't, nobody will, I've put in a lot of hours with it (quite possibly more than I ever put into TS3) and have been very much enjoying it. I'm really looking forward to seeing where it goes in the future. I'm sorry you're put off, but I'm not quite ready to join the ranks of people who have decided that they don't like it, so nobody should.

I reserve the right to change my opinion after future expansions are released.

You've misunderstood something obviously.
    I was talking about "running like total crap all of the time".

Not about likes, dislikes, farmville and other facebook copypastes.

I have to confess, about half the time I have no idea at all what you're talking about. :)

You seem to be implying that somehow my liking the game has something to do with Facebook and Farmville... but I've been using the word "like" since long before they existed, so I guess it's a problem of definitions. I think. Maybe.
    banner-onlysims-800x140-1.png
    Because Geeks Really Do Have More Fun
  • Options
    SimPoseyYumSimPoseyYum Posts: 995 Member
    This one worries me. Maybe I'm reading too many passionate (and sometimes cantankerous) posts by too many people (most of whom seem willing to have a civil dialog, some of whom simply want to make their "demands" heard and -plum- anyone who disagrees). I'm getting confused.

I get it that some people have taken exception (MAJOR exception in some cases) to having to meet performance goals in order to get a career promotion. Others don't seem to care one way or the other and some (I'm in this group) actually like having to meet goals (see note below). If I'm reading the Guru's notes correctly, career progression is being addressed but the announcement doesn't specifically say "how", unless I missed something.

My question for those of you who are dead-set against having any goals whatsoever, what would you replace the goals with? Are you saying you want your Sims to show up at work for X number of days and get a promotion? Is there some compromise you'd be ok with? If you were the dev, how would you structure job performance?

((Note: the only goal I take exception to (of those I've seen so far) is "Have X number of friends". An employer has absolutely no business dictating to an employee how many personal friends the employee must have. If this one goal were to be eliminated, it would be fine with me.))

• Options
    JoxerTM22JoxerTM22 Posts: 5,323 Member
    I have to confess, about half the time I have no idea at all what you're talking about. :)
    Please reread the post, I've edited it, multiquotes were hidden.

I've added also a question in the end.
  • Options
    Devynsims00Devynsims00 Posts: 3,392 Member
    sarahzsmyl wrote: »
    I'm cautiously optimistic.

I am as well. Things seem to go from 1 extreme to the other within the Sims :worried:
    OJGRGDT.gif
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Rinilex wrote: »
    Jimil wrote: »
    Me after seeing what this thread has turned into
    tumblr_n76rg7P7h81qdlh1io1_400.gif

What were you expecting? An academic discussion on Chaucer?
    A proper discussion about what the update is going to be. Not about how we could label The Sims series as an RPG game like what y'all wanted it to be.

All right, if you want to talk about that, then talk about it. Blame Joxer for the RPG talk, I want it to move away from that.

A bit of joking around doesn't mean we can't actually discuss something.
    My fault for expecting too much. Ah. He at it again?

Can we brainstorm a list of what the Gurus think we didn't like about the career progression in this game? That way we could predict what they're going to do and give them a few more ideas. It has been hinted that they have been watching our threads the whole time anyways.

Sure.

Going off the response, I think the main thing they've twigged (and there's been enough talk on it lol) is how unpopular the linear game play is, and how you're forced through a check list of goals. It seems to me it's going to get cut wide open or revamped.

One of the people who like it actually asked if they should worry about goals being taken out, and instead of a "no, it's fine!" they got "we don't do anything on a whim." Which to me sounds like "we probably will but not right away" lol.

Or it could mean that there'll be a check box where you can choose a career without the goals or one with the goals, or make the goals optional like they were in Sims 3 but you get promoted slower (for example, in the Law Enforcement career you had to Interrogate Sims and write reports on them, but you could still progress in the career without doing that, just not as fast). Maybe they can make it where if you don't do the goals, you won't unlock the career rewards for purchase or the special rooms that have everything; you'd still get the single item for hitting the career level but wouldn't be able to buy any additional so you'd have to be careful not to sell an item by mistake.

Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    katoregamakatoregama Posts: 1,129 Member
    I'm all in favor for job goals, but I'm even MORE in favor of compromises.

So what about Job Goals, that are optional, that are less grind oriented, and are random.

Basically... like the opportunities in Sims 3. Random. Optional. Fulfill simple requirements if you feel like it.
    Kato, Kato, rhymes with tomato.
    Players: Check out my Sims 4 Room Challenge.
    Devs & Players: Check out my Archaeology Career Idea
  • Options
    Gramz777Gramz777 Posts: 111 Member
    Though i am happy with goals/task, i understand there are others who feel differently. It'll be great if they are able to implement some options or a toggle switch that way both sides are happy <3 A lot of folks on both sides have been supporting something like this as a solution.
  • Options
    KrayzieStrykerKrayzieStryker Posts: 2,646 Member
    katoregama wrote: »

So what about Job Goals, that are optional, that are less grind oriented, and are random.

Basically... like the opportunities in Sims 3. Random. Optional. Fulfill simple requirements if you feel like it.

Yepp i am with this it was the best system done
  • Options
    XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    @XxAirixX Agree with your loading screen point, but I don't think any TS4 player should be casting stones saying 3 is buggy. Glass houses and all that.

I don't know... I mean, I haven't run into bugs in TS4 yet that made me give up and uninstall it. I had a few of those in TS3. Granted, the ones still fresh in my memory were in expansions and not the base game, but I don't think it's that much of a stretch to say that TS3 was buggy as hell, even compared to TS4.

TS4 may have its issues, but for most people, running like total crap all of the time isn't really one of them. The game may bore people, or frustrate some with its gameplay, but at least it's pretty good about running (and pretty smoothly, at that) when it's supposed to. I have to give EA some props for at least getting that much right.

I just wish whoever QA'd the game before it hit the shelves was QA'ing the patches.

From what I remember with Sims 3, base game itself worked alright (granted I bought it long after it's launch), there were some bugs though (the world is extremely small, which is probably why I hadn't have as much problems) . It just seemed to get worse and worse with each expansion. Bigger worlds and more items made it take longer to load and than too many sims walking around and getting stuck it seems makes it crash, some worlds were worse than others.

Like the game starts off fine with each new world, but shortly after a few hours of game play, the problems really start to kick in (not talking like long hours and many generations of game play either. I am lucky to get to second generation before it would freeze at start up and become unplayable. Like Bridgeport was one of the worst. Isla Paradiso was really laggy as well after a really sort period of time).

So far that hasn't happened with Sims 4 yet. My game did mess up before due to some bad mods (which was my fault and once I took out the bad cc and mods, the game seemed to be working. I was just curious about some mod and wanted try it out for fun). I can't say what it will be like after a few expansions though. I suppose everyone has different experiences, but this was mine basically.

Of course base games get boring, as things get added unto it later on. Sims 3 bored me fast as well.

• Options
    But tell me something. How big is your savegame file?

Ah... let's see, I have several.

Looks like the largest of them is about 4MB (that surprised me -- I expected bigger).

I'm a compulsive restarter.
  • Options
    ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    Kind of amuses me that we go from a "We're looking into it" to a "THEY'RE GOING TO GUT THE GAME" so effortlessly.
  • Options
    RinilexRinilex Posts: 3,048 Member

idk. I guess if it worked like opportunities in 3, where you had random chances to increase your job level in exchange for reading a book or something, it wouldn't be too bad.

But I don't understand toggling goals/ tasks on and off. Why would you choose to spend pointless extra time making your Sim read books or bake cakes or looking at a painting 30 times when you don't need to? I just want them gone, they don't suit the game.

And I don't like them for aspirations, either. I miss having LTWs.
  • Options
    JoxerTM22JoxerTM22 Posts: 5,323 Member
    That saved you from joining my side on "running like a plum". Well... I guess that's good for you. Not good for generations breeding based players.

• Options
    Arletta wrote: »
    Kind of amuses me that we go from a "We're looking into it" to a "THEY'RE GOING TO GUT THE GAME" so effortlessly.

Half the fun of this place is taking every little shred of a hint and running to the wildest extremes with it. It's like crashing a Libertarian convention.
  • Options

Half the fun of this place is taking every little shred of a hint and running to the wildest extremes with it. It's like crashing a Libertarian convention.

Not really.

The goals aren't popular at all. It's one of the main reasons fans feel it isn't "The Sims" any more. SimGuruLyndsay acknowledged this.

Guru says they're aware many fans don't like it and they're actively doing something about it.

Guru refuses to say "don't worry, they won't be removed" but instead go with "I don't think you should be worried, we don't do things on a whim." Implying nothing except that it won't be hasty decision.

Which says to me big changes are on the way.
  • Options
    SelenaGrey wrote: »
    I can't go into details, but I will tell you we are actively looking into career progression and career goals and we are very aware that many of you don't like how linear or filled with specific goals that they are right now. I hope that helps!
    hTdwHkX.png

Two answers today about the same subject. They are definitely listening.

How will they respond?

Well like i said i didn't asked for complete deletion, so don't worry it will be only improved.

Original Post too as proof no need to worry :) So i only asked for more Choices no deletion
    KrayzieStryker wrote: »
    » show previous quotes

Hey thanks for doing so :)
    And hi @SimGuruHolms I only want ask if we get more Choices in the promotions Tasks and Goal Tasks, i find this linear questing a little bit boring :)
    Thanks anyway listen to us :)

Hi KrayzieStryker,

I can't go into details, but I will tell you we are actively looking into career progression and career goals and we are very aware that many of you don't like how linear or filled with specific goals that they are right now. I hope that helps!
  • Options

Not really.

The goals aren't popular at all. It's one of the main reasons fans feel it isn't "The Sims" any more. SimGuruLyndsay acknowledged this.

Guru says they're aware many fans don't like it and they're actively doing something about it.

Guru refuses to say "don't worry, they won't be removed" but instead go with "I don't think you should be worried, we don't do things on a whim." Implying nothing except that it won't be hasty decision.

Or, in typical EA fashion, they'll add some "easy mode" careers and call it a day. It could easily go either way.

Assuming anything at this point, based on a couple cryptic comments by a guru, would be a serious case of jumping to conclusions.
  • Options

Not really.

Or, in typical EA fashion, they'll add some "easy mode" careers and call it a day. It could easily go either way.

Assuming anything at this point, based on a couple cryptic comments by a guru, would be a serious case of jumping to conclusions.

Not if they want to keep three quarters of their fanbase, it isn't.
  • Options
    katoregamakatoregama Posts: 1,129 Member
    edited October 2014

idk. I guess if it worked like opportunities in 3, where you had random chances to increase your job level in exchange for reading a book or something, it wouldn't be too bad.

But I don't understand toggling goals/ tasks on and off. Why would you choose to spend pointless extra time making your Sim read books or bake cakes or looking at a painting 30 times when you don't need to? I just want them gone, they don't suit the game.

Oh I agree there. Having to read 10 books, or perform 200 whopping romantic interactions on your spouse is totally boring. Several of the goals are incredibly grind-y. But if they were toned down, and had immediate effects on a bonus, I think that would definitely help.

As an example, at level 10 Charisma you can call your boss to negotiate a bonus that boosts your job performance. The moment you do it successfully, your job meter bumps up a bit as you watch it. Career goals could be like that. A goal pops up to play guitar for 4 hours? I don't want to. Hit cancel. Read a music book? Okay, cool! Book gets read, bam, job meter bumps up.

Aspirations might benefit from such a system too. Like fulfilling certain whims increases a progress bar towards your Aspiration. Whim to buy treadmill? Done, bam, aspiration bar bumps up two points. Whim to gain level 2 athletic skill? Another 2 points. Whim to get as muscular as possible? No thanks, and no problem.
    Kato, Kato, rhymes with tomato.
    Players: Check out my Sims 4 Room Challenge.
    Devs & Players: Check out my Archaeology Career Idea
  • Options
    XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    But tell me something. How big is your savegame file?

Ah... let's see, I have several.

Looks like the largest of them is about 4MB (that surprised me -- I expected bigger).

I think that was another problem with sims 3 as well. A single save in Sims 3 at the start of the game can be 23MB alone depending on the world (that would be the smallest world), but each time you travel or go to college or something, it would double in size. I had files reach 300MB easily and fast. Right now, my most current save file is 3MB and overall saves is about 40MB.
  • Options
    ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member

Not really.

I'll go back to "...and how do you know that" in a minute. Don't make me do it.

• Options

Not really.

Common sense. Fan response. Being part of the community for 10+ years. Actually having played the game. The poor sales figures EA are trying to hide. The naff reviews...
  • Options

Oh I agree there. Having to read 10 books, or perform 200 whopping romantic interactions on your spouse is totally boring. Several of the goals are incredibly grind-y. But if they were toned down, and had immediate effects on a bonus, I think that would definitely help.

As an example, at level 10 Charisma you can call your boss to negotiate a bonus that boosts your job performance. The moment you do it successfully, your job meter bumps up a bit as you watch it. Career goals could be like that. A goal pops up to play guitar for 4 hours? I don't want to. Hit cancel. Read a music book? Okay, cool! Book gets read, bam, job meter bumps up.

I like that. It's kind of similar to 3, isn't it? If you got close enough to your boss, you could ask for promotions/ raises, you could accept to read books or play music for a performance boost and deny it if you didn't want to...

I think that's how it should be. More realistic, more open, more sandbox, and more choice.
  • Options
    munchie885munchie885 Posts: 8,439 Member
    dbo3u.jpg
  • Options

Not really.

Common sense. Fan response. Being part of the community for 10+ years. Actually having played the game. The poor sales figures EA are trying to hide. The naff reviews...

Deletion would be still impossible but compromises are open for it, so maybe more Choices in the end to choose from, you can't just delete it completly that would be anti productive, because its also true that many fans world wide love the new Sims as it is now. So its kinda splitted i presume.
    So the best strategy would improving it so this quests aren't too linear or improved into to the opportunity system like Sims 3 did have for my part it would be the best choice in this matter.
    So in the end both fan groups has their Gameplay and the sales would go up too. But in the end EA/ Maxis decide.