Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA Please Give Us Back Our Sandbox!

Comments

• Options
    ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Arletta wrote: »
    Ooh, this thread exploded.

@Cinebar You're assuming again. How do you know who brought TSM, or what play category they fall under?

How do you change the core game without alienating the other half of the players who are enjoying what they're playing? Instead of arguing back and forth, suggest the changes you want without them alienating anybody else. Like this, you're not solving anything. You're just saying "I want what I want. Now change it", which isn't fair to those who enjoy TS4 as it is.

Arletta, you didn't even buy the game yet did you? and why is that? I have already answered you and gave a few new ideas or at least some beefed up old ideas several pages back. I remember having these arguments (same rpg element type) with you and a few others and you were all for them back then as long as I was against them..lol...but It seems you are more inline with what most of us feel now, and I warned about then.

ETA: over on the TS3 I&F we had these same arguments two years ago and now here we are....and you see the results.

I wouldn't have said I was arguing. Trying to make you rethink your assumptions perhaps, but not arguing.

Originpresent_zps31e68b53.png

• Options
    JayedTadaSkierJayedTadaSkier Posts: 817 Member
    God, 7 pages of complaining. I skipped over most of this so sorry if this was said before. Are you people only good at complaining? I'm playing my game completely sandbox; nothing forces you to fulfill the aspiration reward and there's no negative results for not doing so (At least for YA+ I think...). You always had career requirements to level up; they're especially rigorous in this game, but there's this magical thing called a pause button; which is at the bottom of your screen, accessed via P button or ` button, also, WASD move the camera and 1, 2, and 3 control speed so pausing / speeding up won't be an issue. You also don't have to be in a certain mood for a career; I NEVER send my Sims to work in their 'Ideal' mood and I never see anything bad come of it.

Also, those goals during parties / dates? Weren't those things that came from The Sims 2? Having to fulfill your stupid dates wants to make the date even a modest success? Also, aren't they the things YOU CAN TURN OFF?
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    God, 7 pages of complaining. I skipped over most of this so sorry if this was said before. Are you people only good at complaining? I'm playing my game completely sandbox; nothing forces you to fulfill the aspiration reward and there's no negative results for not doing so (At least for YA+ I think...). You always had career requirements to level up; they're especially rigorous in this game, but there's this magical thing called a pause button; which is at the bottom of your screen, accessed via P button or ` button, also, WASD move the camera and 1, 2, and 3 control speed so pausing / speeding up won't be an issue. You also don't have to be in a certain mood for a career; I NEVER send my Sims to work in their 'Ideal' mood and I never see anything bad come of it.

Also, those goals during parties / dates? Weren't those things that came from The Sims 2? Having to fulfill your stupid dates wants to make the date even a modest success? Also, aren't they the things YOU CAN TURN OFF?

Are you enjoying your ghosts? I hope so because that was a gripe of mine, personally. How about do you look forward to your 'free' pools and free careers being added within the next few months? You're welcome. The lists of missing content and those of us who are not afraid to speak up about our likes and dislikes are the only reasons you have any of this for free. If Developers and CEOs didn't think people didn't mind so much you wouldn't be getting any free content which belonged in the base game. So, again you are welcome.

No, Dates Did not Make You Socialize with other Sim Three Times etc. I have no idea why others don't understand scripted means exactly what it means. Do this X amount of times, rinse and repeat. No, TS1 nor TS2 and most of TS3 never did that to their players. They never told you how to do anything or how many times.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Ooh, this thread exploded.

@Cinebar You're assuming again. How do you know who brought TSM, or what play category they fall under?

How do you change the core game without alienating the other half of the players who are enjoying what they're playing? Instead of arguing back and forth, suggest the changes you want without them alienating anybody else. Like this, you're not solving anything. You're just saying "I want what I want. Now change it", which isn't fair to those who enjoy TS4 as it is.

Arletta, you didn't even buy the game yet did you? and why is that? I have already answered you and gave a few new ideas or at least some beefed up old ideas several pages back. I remember having these arguments (same rpg element type) with you and a few others and you were all for them back then as long as I was against them..lol...but It seems you are more inline with what most of us feel now, and I warned about then.

ETA: over on the TS3 I&F we had these same arguments two years ago and now here we are....and you see the results.

I wouldn't have said I was arguing. Trying to make you rethink your assumptions perhaps, but not arguing.

Originpresent_zps31e68b53.png

I hope you are enjoying the game then because sometime in the last few weeks I thought you said you didn't buy it, yet. You rarely post anymore so yes, I assumed you still didn't have it, since the last time I saw your post, (this past month?) you didn't have it if I remember correctly. Sorry. I wasn't assuming about the TSM, Arletta, the sales for that game were not as expected and too low to maintain developer being free to work on that game. It went bust.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    zorba2357zorba2357 Posts: 6,103 Member
    A Debate that has been going on for ever! It seems to have started partway through sims 2? Maybe with OFB expansion where there were "goals"?
    I tend to prefer sandbox play for sims, however I see both sides and I Loved Sims Medieval.

But it DOES Feel like the devs are more often pushing toward RPG and goal oriented play. And then in threads a lot of people Ask for these things and the devs seem to jump on it, and the idea to add this or that goal-oriented RPG type game. So it just feels if you are a sandbox player you are made to feel in the minority somehow.

There will always be those who want sandbox, and those who want more goals. Since I've played the game since the beginning of sims 1, I understand What "sandbox" means.

I still don't see WHY there can't be 2 or more seperate "Modes" as I have seen in other games. One is purely sandbox, the others have different objectives or goals.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    SimSiren3 wrote: »
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    This is NO different to The Sims 2.

Seriously, the Sims 4 follows the exact same system.

The Sims 2 had objects you had to unlock based on Careers (the same in Sims 4).

The Sims 2 had missions to unlock Aspiration Objects or new features (the same in Sims 4).

All the Sims 4 does is add some Collectables, Plant and Animal breeding on the side.

No one is forcing you to play objectively. But The Sims 2 had these elements, and it's regarded as the best game.
    By who exactly? I think that depends on what you want in a game.
    Sales. Online Polls. Critical Reviews on MetaCritic. Fan reviews on MetaCritic etc
    In the polls I know Sims 3 'wins'.

A little off topic - but was ANYONE able to make TS3 run worth a plum without mods?
    Yes, me ;) The only mod I'd like to try is the SP one, but I'm too chicken to actually try (my family is kind of sacred to me, I don't want to take any risks). But apart from that I'm fine without them.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member

The Sims 2 had missions to unlock Aspiration Objects or new features (the same in Sims 4).

All the Sims 4 does is add some Collectables, Plant and Animal breeding on the side.

No one is forcing you to play objectively. But The Sims 2 had these elements, and it's regarded as the best game.
    Sales. Online Polls. Critical Reviews on MetaCritic. Fan reviews on MetaCritic etc

A little off topic - but was ANYONE able to make TS3 run worth a plum without mods?

Upgrade cpu motherboard and graphics card. Most of TS3's actual issues were always bad coding which EA will never admit. Bad code will ruin a game with the greatest of ease.

I was running the game on an i7 (don't remember exact model) 2Ghz, with 8GB ram, an NVIDIA GTX 560M.

Still lagged like Plummy plum plum with plum and plumsauce on it.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    burntcheese223burntcheese223 Posts: 1,157 Member
    edited October 2014
    I will thank those who signed the pention for toddlers and pools and only for signing it. I will also thank those who acted mature with their concerns but not those that threw a fit on the forums and acted immature. I am not saying this was you @cinebar but there are a few on the forums that need to grow up a bit.. or a lot. They can claim to be the reason we got ghosts and pools all they want, I will not thank them for acting like they do.
  • Options
    InannaWintermoonInannaWintermoon Posts: 3,400 Member

Upgrade cpu motherboard and graphics card. Most of TS3's actual issues were always bad coding which EA will never admit. Bad code will ruin a game with the greatest of ease.

I was running the game on an i7 (don't remember exact model) 2Ghz, with 8GB ram, an NVIDIA GTX 560M.

Still lagged like Plummy plum plum with plum and plumsauce on it.

Bad coding. The EPs I had the biggest issues with were Island Paradise and Pets, those seemed to add things to the point of lagging to heck and back.
    It's quite drop from the top, so how ya feeling down there?
  • Options
    xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    This debate is still going on...
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options
    I will thank those who signed the pention for toddlers and pools and only for signing it. I will also thank those who acted mature with their concerns but not those that threw a fit on the forums and acted like babies. I am not saying this was you @cinebar but there are a few on the forums that need to grow up a bit.. or a lot. They can claim to be the reason we got ghosts and pools all they want, I will not thank them for acting like they do.

:p Well some of those who actually were screaming and acting like a little baby were actually trolls and bought the game the day of release only to come back to tell us all they never doubted it..... ;)

• Options
    SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    zorba2357 wrote: »
    A Debate that has been going on for ever! It seems to have started partway through sims 2? Maybe with OFB expansion where there were "goals"?
    I tend to prefer sandbox play for sims, however I see both sides and I Loved Sims Medieval.

But it DOES Feel like the devs are more often pushing toward RPG and goal oriented play. And then in threads a lot of people Ask for these things and the devs seem to jump on it, and the idea to add this or that goal-oriented RPG type game. So it just feels if you are a sandbox player you are made to feel in the minority somehow.

There will always be those who want sandbox, and those who want more goals. Since I've played the game since the beginning of sims 1, I understand What "sandbox" means.

I still don't see WHY there can't be 2 or more seperate "Modes" as I have seen in other games. One is purely sandbox, the others have different objectives or goals.
    Having different gameplay modes would definitely be the best solution. They've already got the two modes thing built into the social events, so having a gameplay option that switches between old school job, school, and aspiration progression and TS4's style would keep both camps (relatively) happy. Hopefully, that can be implemented without breaking the game...

(On a different note: Here's another thread that I'll try and point the Gurus toward if I can catch the next live Q&A session...)
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Options
    Instead of actually adding 'modes' which are a huge part of tycoon games and or rpg games (like easy, medium, hard) why not actually think about what players are saying? Why is it so horrible to request they change how the daily career tasks are implemented? Does anyone that really likes these really, really want to make their Sim look at three art styles? really? That's as simple as looking at three paintings and or a painting and a statue. O.K. that one's not all that bad however, are people who love the objectives really, really thrilled with that? And think on this awhile. We play Sims for years as CK213 pointed out, do we really, really want to spend four years telling one zillion Sims to look at a painting or three different paintings three times? Is that The Sims? Is it? Was it? Should it Be?
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member

In the polls I know Sims 3 'wins'. I know the Sims 2 fans are a very outspoken lot, that's for sure.
    Especially in spreading their hatred towards 3.
    EA apparently listened to that, cut out open world, cut out story progression, cut out CASt. And now a lot of people are complaining about exactly that. And rightly so.
    (glad they left time continuation in and didn't adopt that from The Great Prequel)

The Sims 4 does have story progression.

Most Sims 2 fans don't hate The Sims 3. They hate the fact The Sims 3 focused on the world, and barely on The Sims.
    Apart from Ambitions and Generations (and to an extent Supernatural) most packs focused on other things, and not the growth of the Sims themselves.
    But they still love the game regardless.

But the objective gameplay was something heavily featured in The Sims 2. And that style of gameplay became so popular, EA made a trilogy of Spin-Off's based on it (The Sims Stories trilogy).

So yes. That style of gameplay is popular.

---

It's just that content like CASt, a non-broken up Open World and Toddlers being the main reason The Sims 4 gets hate, and then people just add to their list.

If The Sims 4 launched with an Open World, CASt and Toddlers most people wouldn't be nitpicking little things like these.

OFT: I do believe that that game should have at least some way to customise stuff though. And Toddlers need to be patched in, or included in an EP with Preteens.
    Having a non-broken up Open World was removed to avoid lag and glitches, and so far it's vastly improved so I'm happy that's gone.

I do get where the hate comes from, but it's funny people hating on things that were loved back in the day, for the sake of hating.
    And here I am, totally focussed on my sims ;) (I don't even want to share them via the exchange, they all have their own personality that was developed in the game; they are my children, my 'lovers', my relatives.
    Generations is my least favourite EP, which feels like nothing more than a bunch of home related interactions.
    The focus on sims for me lies in different things and I can find those in the features offered in all EP's. They are my treasury.
    Three of my heirs were adventurers for instance, but each one in their own particular way. Four of them were genies, but each of them handled that in a different way.
    I played with genies, a witch now, vampires, each life stage offers a new angle to create a story around your sim.
    And so do the worlds. A sim living in IP is a completely different personality than one living in Dragon Valley.

The game and the EP's are my tools, the sims are my main characters (and I can fairly create them the way I want to; could be better but I can relate to them and love them) and after that it kind of splits in two. There's playing the game and there's making up/writing their story. I love both.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Instead of actually adding 'modes' which are a huge part of tycoon games and or rpg games (like easy, medium, hard) why not actually think about what players are saying? Why is it so horrible to request they change how the daily career tasks are implemented? Does anyone that really likes these really, really want to make their Sim look at three art styles? really? That's as simple as looking at three paintings and or a painting and a statue. O.K. that one's not all that bad however, are people who love the objectives really, really thrilled with that? And think on this awhile. We play Sims for years as CK213 pointed out, do we really, really want to spend four years telling one zillion Sims to look at a painting or three different paintings three times? Is that The Sims? Is it? Was it? Should it Be?

First of all you have completely misunderstood the "modes" argument.
    Second you have, again, deemed that you know what all other players want and want to change game according to your personal taste because of it.

If you don't like the game, don't play the game. I loathe DA2, and even though I preordered it I never played further than about halfway through. Because I hate playing it.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    I see Generations as trying to fill in for a lacking base game. I am glad they did it as I think it improved the game for my child sims and teens.
    I wish it had went into more detail on certain features, but I felt my game was better for it than without it.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member

Are you enjoying your ghosts? I hope so because that was a gripe of mine, personally. How about do you look forward to your 'free' pools and free careers being added within the next few months? You're welcome. The lists of missing content and those of us who are not afraid to speak up about our likes and dislikes are the only reasons you have any of this for free. If Developers and CEOs didn't think people didn't mind so much you wouldn't be getting any free content which belonged in the base game. So, again you are welcome.

No, Dates Did not Make You Socialize with other Sim Three Times etc. I have no idea why others don't understand scripted means exactly what it means. Do this X amount of times, rinse and repeat. No, TS1 nor TS2 and most of TS3 never did that to their players. They never told you how to do anything or how many times.

Ignorance in purest form.

a) These features were always coming free. They specifically said they wouldn't be ready at launch, not that they were saved for an EP. A Guru also confirmed none of the content that didn't make the base was saved for an EP. You were also in that thread.

b) Those are suggestions to improve your score. You do not have to do everything it says to have a great date. They are giving you suggestions. In The a Sims 2, to have a great date you had to socialise etc anyway, they just didn't give you suggestions.

Also, there are cheats to unlock items, so that you can choose to play however you want. Which means you can go on a date, throw a party without goals etc.

No one forces you to do anything. Your ignorance to this game, in midst of your complaining is stupid, because you're arguments are based on things that aren't even true.

You seem like the kind of person who wants The Sims to stick to the playing style you like over and over and would rather was, rinse, repeat the same game over and over.

If you don't like the new way, there's still the old way to play. It's quite a simple concept.

But you ask questions about the Sims 4 AFTER making an argument (eg. Lifetime Aspirations a few posts back).

That says it all tbh.
  • Options
    BonniyBonniy Posts: 464 Member

Choices on the job...give the player maybe three different choices how to gain the next promotion. But not linear. No daily tasks..there is enough going on in this game that if you do fill those goals you hardly have time to actually play your Sim but only grinding. Notice the 'chance' cards are all required to answer. And they all have the same result I have pretty much figured out which one gets me a bump in performance and which answer doesn't. For one things there should be an Ignore, like the chance cards of TS2...and many variations of what would happen no matter how you answer....this introduces a risk of failure which yes, Sims should be fired and demoted.

[/quote]

the problem I see here, is you want sims to be like real life, I've never heard of a boss saying, I'll give you 3 choices to get a raise or promotion, you have to do what the boss says, and if you do and do a good job, maybe you might get a raise or promotion, if you don't, you will always be at that level or looking for another job
    They are trying to make the game like real life. and yes, for you to achieve stuff in real life, you do need to do things over and over to learn them, like take the athlete skill, you don't just say, hey I want to become an athlete, you have to practice over and over to get good at it, that is why you have to do something 5 or 10 times, so you can advance a level. so yes it does make sense on that area to
  • Options
    edited October 2014

First of all you have completely misunderstood the "modes" argument.
    Second you have, again, deemed that you know what all other players want and want to change game according to your personal taste because of it.

If you don't like the game, don't play the game. I loathe DA2, and even though I preordered it I never played further than about halfway through. Because I hate playing it.

No I haven't I stated the easy, medium, hard modes to make a specific point but I understand what the person above me said when I replied to her. No, I didn't, I asked why is it so horrible to request they change some of how this is all implemented? Why is it? Because you are bored in a life simulator and can't find anything to do in a game like The Sims? Isn't that the real argument? You personally don't have enough imagination to play as the Sims but Need those goals to make you feel like you are playing a video game? is that assuming? or closer to the truth?

Are you really going to play through those specific careers again, over and over since they are so restrictive? and so scripted? I wonder. Because if I think how many households and Sims I have played in the last ten years let alone the total I don't see me wanting to do each one once probably not even half way through any of them since they are redundant and so linear.

Wouldn't you prefer the game tell you your Sim needs this..and You figure out how to do that? that is the rpg of TS1, TS2 and TS3. This is something else, more like the TSM or the TS2 for console than any game that has existed before it.

Why is that so hard for those who can't find something to do in a life simulator? In OFB they didn't tell you the Sim needs to do this so many times to get to the next business level...no it was up to the player to figure out what worked best and what was fun for them. Will Wright said give people the tools and let them go...never play the developer's game. I think he got it right, and we wouldn't be here today if this game had started out back then as scripted as this one is now.

Corrected my backward paragraph.
  • Options
    zorba2357zorba2357 Posts: 6,103 Member

Just because "Modes" are a huge part of Other games is not a reason it can't work for the sims also. Think about That. Just because in Your Mind "Mode" is associated with other games doesn't mean it isn't right for the sims neccessarily.

Some people Want goals and objectives, it's difficult to please all of the people all of the time.

I wouldn't mind different "Modes" As Long As They Work Right and am Implemented right without tons of glitches!

"Is that the sims?"

Well what the sims are is a debate that could certainly go on forever but it's obviously just a tiny bit different for each player so yeah have an open mind to what someone else may want.

• Options

a) These features were always coming free. They specifically said they wouldn't be ready at launch, not that they were saved for an EP. A Guru also confirmed none of the content that didn't make the base was saved for an EP. You were also in that thread.

b) Those are suggestions to improve your score. You do not have to do everything it says to have a great date. They are giving you suggestions. In The a Sims 2, to have a great date you had to socialise etc anyway, they just didn't give you suggestions.

Also, there are cheats to unlock items, so that you can choose to play however you want. Which means you can go on a date, throw a party without goals etc.

No one forces you to do anything. Your ignorance to this game, in midst of your complaining is stupid, because you're arguments are based on things that aren't even true.

You seem like the kind of person who wants The Sims to stick to the playing style you like over and over and would rather was, rinse, repeat the same game over and over.

If you don't like the new way, there's still the old way to play. It's quite a simple concept.

But you ask questions about the Sims 4 AFTER making an argument (eg. Lifetime Aspirations a few posts back).

That says it all tbh.

Prove it.
  • Options
    BayalynnBayalynn Posts: 67 Member

That says it all tbh.

I honestly think if it wasn't for people complaining these things would not be free. If people went out and Bought sims 4 in an instant and Said nothing except how great and amazing it was, I am sure those things would have been added in a stuff or expansion pack, but the fact sims 4 didn't get the epic sale numbers , and people have had mostly mixed or negative feels about the game, plus complaining till the cows came home, These things were given for free.

And if complaining wasn't 100% reason they gave it for free, I'm still certain it was one of the major reasons it was gifted to us for free.
  • Options
    zorba2357 wrote: »

Just because "Modes" are a huge part of Other games is not a reason it can't work for the sims also. Think about That. Just because in Your Mind "Mode" is associated with other games doesn't mean it isn't right for the sims neccessarily.

Some people Want goals and objectives, it's difficult to please all of the people all of the time.

I wouldn't mind different "Modes" As Long As They Work Right and am Implemented right without tons of glitches!

"Is that the sims?"

Well what the sims are is a debate that could certainly go on forever but it's obviously just a tiny bit different for each player so yeah have an open mind to what someone else may want.

I have stated they could offer choices like in what to do next to get a promotion. That is open minded but here you see the others stating oh hell no! we need EA to tell us what to do next. There is no compromise with hard core rpg players. They will over take this game as you can see from TS2 to how some things were bombarded (forced) onto players in the TS3 unless some of us demanded to stop and give the turn off toggle for opportunities and other such stuff. Many people helped change that games original RPG course.
  • Options
    Taranatar9Taranatar9 Posts: 1,062 Member

If you believe this, I have some nice ocean front property in Nebraska to sell you.

If the game had been better received, these patches would have each been $15 DLC's. There's really no way anyone who has paid even the slightest bit of attention to EA's business practices would think otherwise.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

That says it all tbh.

Prove it.

ETA: What? I can't ask if filling the Aspiration gives the Sim a specific moodlet or if there is permaplat or anything that would make the player think the actual Sim knows it filled the Aspiration and extremely thrilled over it? I'm trying to get at the heart of the actual Aspirations in this game are they for the player or the Sim? You decide. Because if no specific amazing thing happening to the Sim once filling their life time aspiration ( so some call it) but just another offer to fill another one is not about the Sim but the player. Do you know the difference. Yes, I'm being a bit snide since you have called me ignorant. Far from it, just not up with my lingo.