Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Not Placed In World Sims, are they townies or npcs or npownies?

So I'm really confused by the not placed in world/homeless Sims. I see many of them around town, so I came to the conclusion this is the big pot where the random Sims I meet must come from. So I started clicking to remake them.

Long Story Short, I am working on a Disney character ONLY town, a multi-verse where Mulan runs into Prince Eric at the gym ( don't judge me)

Anyway, I've been working on this for weeks! I have about 9 Disney families placed in households and about 15 not. As opposed to creating new families and adding them to the household management "bin" I clicked existing sims. Sims I KNOW I've seen around and changed them into a Disney character. Well it's been about 3 sim days and I'm just wandering around looking for my Disney characters and I haven't seen one. I have of course ran into the sims with a home but not the homeless ones.

The sims I'm meeting are like brand new random sims. Does anyone know anything about this. Am I ever going to be able to control the majority of the townies I meet, I don't mind putting in extra work to make this possible, I just hope it's possible at all at this point...

P.S. It's about 2 - 3 sims per family so that's about 40+
paperman12.gif

Comments

• Options
    blewis823blewis823 Posts: 9,046 Member
    I wish I knew the answer, I have asked over and over again here on the forums and on Twitter. Nothing been confirmed about all of the Out Of World sims but I know a few of them are mailpersons, bartenders, maids, etc. Others may be families that have ages your sims need to interact with and every so often were culled from the game. Suppose to better now after the patch, so far none have been culled since I have last played.
    Nothing to see. I don't even care about the forums.
  • Options
    SlyStarDustSlyStarDust Posts: 341 Member
    I made a ton of families too for that bin and for a long time I did not see them. I use mods in my game to keep the random townie generator toned down (It is called reduced townie generating from modthesims). I see my townies now a lot more. I also go and delete those generated townies unless I know they are a NPC.

I wish Maxis would let us turn this off for non-npc townies. I really do not want some old fat man in a hotdog hat thank you very much!!!
  • Options
    OhhTiffanyOhhTiffany Posts: 55 Member
    > @SlyStarDust said:
    > I made a ton of families too for that bin and for a long time I did not see them. I use mods in my game to keep the random townie generator toned down (It is called reduced townie generating from modthesims). I see my townies now a lot more. I also go and delete those generated townies unless I know they are a NPC.
    >
    > I wish Maxis would let us turn this off for non-npc townies. I really do not want some old fat man in a hot dog hat thank you very much!!!

Thanks for giving me the mod name because I am also super sick of hot dog and clown sims roaming around my pretty town :/

@blewis Thanks for trying to answer! :) I think this should be addressed more because the costumes are really starting to drive me mad lol I will try contacting a guru on twitter because I don't want to feel that my time creating all those Sims have been wasted :,(
    paperman12.gif
  • Options
    Coffefreak4LifeCoffefreak4Life Posts: 8,082 Member
    OhhTiffany wrote: »
    So I'm really confused by the not placed in world/homeless Sims. I see many of them around town, so I came to the conclusion this is the big pot where the random Sims I meet must come from. So I started clicking to remake them.<br />
    <br />
    Long Story Short, I am working on a Disney character ONLY town, a multi-verse where Mulan runs into Prince Eric at the gym ( don't judge me)

Not judging at all but uh have you seen this ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ct-CdyT4HkM
  • Options
    meggiewesmeggiewes Posts: 1,066 Member
    I must be the lucky one then. I have placed several families into my townie bin and I see them around my towns as well as the people actually living in my neighborhoods.
  • Options
    > @meggiewes said:
    > I must be the lucky one then. I have placed several families into my townie bin and I see them around my towns as well as the people actually living in my neighborhoods.

Do you know how many, and have you deleted any randomly generated sims from that bin...
    paperman12.gif
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    meggiewes wrote: »
    I must be the lucky one then. I have placed several families into my townie bin and I see them around my towns as well as the people actually living in my neighborhoods.

Same here -- I've moved a couple of households from houses into the Not in World category, and I see them around quite frequently.

Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    > @meggiewes said:<br />
    > I must be the lucky one then. I have placed several families into my townie bin and I see them around my towns as well as the people actually living in my neighborhoods.<br />
    <br />
    Do you know how many, and have you deleted any randomly generated sims from that bin...

I have placed about maybe 30 or so of my "own" in the bin. (I've made Maxis sim houses because I like the character designs and want to see them in my game so that's why the quotations are there) I randomly go around and delete some elder sims from the bin because I don't like seeing a big elder population unless I make them. The only other ones were by accident because I didn't get that they were townies in that bin when I first got the game and I was trying to delete all of the sims from the game so I could make my own town.

I only have a few sims moved into houses currently too. Like less than four lots in each town right now. I don't know if that would make any difference because they have to pull from the bin than from the neighborhood.

Other than that, I'm not really doing anything different. Or at least I don't think so. I do know that I see different people when I go different places. This includes going to different residential neighborhoods as well instead of just sticking to community lots and parks.

• Options
    > @meggiewes said:
    > OhhTiffany wrote: »
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I have placed about maybe 30 or so of my "own" in the bin. (I've made Maxis sim houses because I like the character designs and want to see them in my game so that's why the quotations are there) I randomly go around and delete some elder sims from the bin because I don't like seeing a big elder population unless I make them.

Well I'm going to try that and see if it works out, I've read somewhere I'm not sure where that if a certain age population is low than it will try and generate more kids, and I'm assuming small familes to go with them... I've deleted a couple elders and much like you do, change the family into my character style to include a kid, hopefully that works. I'll let you guys know. I have also left 11 single sims in the bins because I have also read that those are NPC sims, I know for sure one of them is ALWAYS my bartender wherever I go, so.. we'll see. If not I'll try my hand at that mod. I would prefer not to because I went CC crazy in sims 3 and found it impossible to remove the half centaur mesh from my sims and sim demon babies....

*shutters* I don't want to go back to that life! lol
    paperman12.gif
  • Options
    Gtompkins48Gtompkins48 Posts: 477 Member
    I love the townie bin as a feature, but I wish they wouldn't confuse us all with the "Not Currently in World" junk. Just call it the townie bin!
  • Options
    enkeli63enkeli63 Posts: 6,637 Member
    So I'm really confused by the not placed in world/homeless Sims. I see many of them around town, so I came to the conclusion this is the big pot where the random Sims I meet must come from. So I started clicking to remake them.<br />
    <br />
    Long Story Short, I am working on a Disney character ONLY town, a multi-verse where Mulan runs into Prince Eric at the gym ( don't judge me)<br />
    <br />
    Anyway, I've been working on this for weeks! I have about 9 Disney families placed in households and about 15 not. As opposed to creating new families and adding them to the household management "bin" I clicked existing sims. Sims I KNOW I've seen around and changed them into a Disney character. Well it's been about 3 sim days and I'm just wandering around looking for my Disney characters and I haven't seen one. I have of course ran into the sims with a home but not the homeless ones.<br />
    <br />
    The sims I'm meeting are like brand new random sims. Does anyone know anything about this. Am I ever going to be able to control the majority of the townies I meet, I don't mind putting in extra work to make this possible, I just hope it's possible at all at this point...<br />
    <br />

Okay, first, the sims not in world are Townies, we also call them Homeless because they do not live in a house. They are not NPCs. The only NPCs in the game are like the maid (is the maid in the game????) and pizza delivery. There is a rumored mailman and gardener as well, but I have not seen them.

When you makeover a sim with the Modify in CAS cheat, you turn them into a played sim, even though you might not think you played with them. Technically, you edit you play. So now you have played sims not in the world. You might call these townies or homeless playable sims, not sure what to call them!!

Next, population cap is 180. Once you hit 180 the game begins to delete sims that do not live in a house. The game will then delete sims that do not have high enough relationship to your active family. So your Disney playables were probably culled because your population got randomly pushed over 180. If not, you might spot them by checking out the played sims list.

OriginID Starwing6
    my Sims 4 story blog: http://www.starwingsims.com/

Join SimsWriters.com to promote or enjoy fan-generated content (stories, videos, music, etc) celebrating The Sims.
  • Options
    enkeli63 wrote: »
    <br />
    Long Story Short, I am working on a Disney character ONLY town, a multi-verse where Mulan runs into Prince Eric at the gym ( don't judge me)<br />
    <br />
    Anyway, I've been working on this for weeks! I have about 9 Disney families placed in households and about 15 not. As opposed to creating new families and adding them to the household management "bin" I clicked existing sims. Sims I KNOW I've seen around and changed them into a Disney character. Well it's been about 3 sim days and I'm just wandering around looking for my Disney characters and I haven't seen one. I have of course ran into the sims with a home but not the homeless ones.<br />
    <br />
    The sims I'm meeting are like brand new random sims. Does anyone know anything about this. Am I ever going to be able to control the majority of the townies I meet, I don't mind putting in extra work to make this possible, I just hope it's possible at all at this point...<br />
    <br />

Okay, first, the sims not in world are Townies, we also call them Homeless because they do not live in a house. They are not NPCs. The only NPCs in the game are like the maid (is the maid in the game????) and pizza delivery. There is a rumored mailman and gardener as well, but I have not seen them.

When you makeover a sim with the Modify in CAS cheat, you turn them into a played sim, even though you might not think you played with them. Technically, you edit you play. So now you have played sims not in the world. You might call these townies or homeless playable sims, not sure what to call them!!

Next, population cap is 180. Once you hit 180 the game begins to delete sims that do not live in a house. The game will then delete sims that do not have high enough relationship to your active family. So your Disney playables were probably culled because your population got randomly pushed over 180. If not, you might spot them by checking out the played sims list.

I've actually have only made about 40+ sims and there were only about I would say 30 families in the bin. Actually ever time I check there's always some new creepy sims (they're always elders for some reason) at the bottom of the bin. The reason I say NPC's is because gardeners and bartenders, ect; Every time they spawn at least in my game its the same sim every time. When I was looking into the mod someone mentioned above it talked about how they believe the random sim generator works.
    paperman12.gif
  • Options
    enkeli63enkeli63 Posts: 6,637 Member
    NPCs are also known as Service Sims, that's all I'm saying. I actually only saw a maid once (young adult male with brown hair) but that feature is so broken I never saw another.

I don't know if it always takes these NPC/Service Sims from the pool of randomly generated Unplayed Not In World list, but that would make sense.

The game seems to randomly generate sims to the extreme, and I would guess it regularly goes over 180 and has to cull some of the randomly generated ones. I don't know much about that, just what I have observed and read about the culling process.

However, making over sims with that cheat does move them to the played sims list so you really should check if they are hiding there! I hope they will be.
    OriginID Starwing6
    my Sims 4 story blog: http://www.starwingsims.com/

Join SimsWriters.com to promote or enjoy fan-generated content (stories, videos, music, etc) celebrating The Sims.
  • Options
    enkeli63 wrote: »
    NPCs are also known as Service Sims, that's all I'm saying. I actually only saw a maid once (young adult male with brown hair) but that feature is so broken I never saw another.

I don't know if it always takes these NPC/Service Sims from the pool of randomly generated Unplayed Not In World list, but that would make sense.

The game seems to randomly generate sims to the extreme, and I would guess it regularly goes over 180 and has to cull some of the randomly generated ones. I don't know much about that, just what I have observed and read about the culling process.

However, making over sims with that cheat does move them to the played sims list so you really should check if they are hiding there! I hope they will be.

*cries* I just want to control everything little thing in my game... Is that to much to ask lol!?
    paperman12.gif
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

How do we do that? I have several in my library that I don't want to actually control or play but would like to see them out and about.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »

How do we do that? I have several in my library that I don't want to actually control or play but would like to see them out and about.

Put people in the townie bin? You use the manage households button. There is actually two ways to do this.

The first one is when you make a new household and it asks you to move them into a house, cancel the moving option and they will go into the sim bin. This is useful if you make a family that has 8 sims in it.

But the way I normally do it goes a little like this: go to a sim that I don't care about, edit family, move/make sims to put into that "family"/household and then delete the sim that was there that I don't care about. It's a little more complicated, but I'm not making additional households that way and just modifying those that are already there so I can control the population a little better.

I also can move in single sims together in a household that I do care about so that they don't disappear on me (aka, I don't accidentally delete them) and I have more room to make more townies.

Did that make sense to you? I haven't done it in a little while, so if you need me to I can do it again and write down notes about which buttons I press and when and then try explaining it again.

I do really like that the game generates more sims to go in your townie bin, but I wish there was a button to turn it off. I would love to be able to create all of my townies and just have those townies show up all of the time without new ones being generated. But then, I play TS2 style and age up everyone myself.
  • Options
    So I just deleted the majority of my bin and I actually saw a Homeless Sim I created! (It was Tiger Lily from Peter Pan) Out of the 11 people that were on the lot including myself; about 8 of them were townies I've made, 1 was a random Sim I didn't recognize from my bin (maybe she was from the other town?) and the bartender was another Sim that I did not recognize from the game.

The game seems to be pulling more townie sims than homeless sims but it's better than seeing hot dog costumes everywhere >.>
    paperman12.gif
  • Options
    So I've been playing for a little bit more than normal and unfortunately random elders with blue hair are now back. I went to check my management folder and there were 10 NEW random sims!!! *sighs* back to the drawing board...
    paperman12.gif
  • Options
    SimleySimley Posts: 284 Member
    Re the gardener, I've seen one of my own Sims dressed as a gardener when I was playing another household. So I think the game recruits played characters (and probably also Townies) as gardeners for the public areas in neighborhoods. Meaning the gardeners aren't NPCs.

I've also seen a Townie or NPC in what looked like a maid uniform, don't know what that was about. She didn't show up at my house the one time I hired a maid.
  • Options
    Simley wrote: »
    Re the gardener, I've seen one of my own Sims dressed as a gardener when I was playing another household. So I think the game recruits played characters (and probably also Townies) as gardeners for the public areas in neighborhoods. Meaning the gardeners aren't NPCs.

I've also seen a Townie or NPC in what looked like a maid uniform, don't know what that was about. She didn't show up at my house the one time I hired a maid.

From what I read on the forums maids are currently broken, I've also read the "service" sims are in fact homeless sims I'm just sure exactly how they are rendered but you should be able to see them in your bin...

I've downloaded the mod to see if I can, control it any more... :/

I hope it works :3
    paperman12.gif
  • Options
    bumblebeer0sebumblebeer0se Posts: 205 Member
    I really want an option to turn of automatic generation of townies. I get it if I have to have a mailperson, but my non-played sim bin just keeps filling up with a ton of townies for no reason. I don't want that many people in my town. I want who I want.

By the way, I like your idea of an all Disney town. Very cute! Another reason we need a checkmark under options to remove townie generating.
  • Options
    nualla8673nualla8673 Posts: 397 Member
    I have added a bunch of legacy spouses to the townie bin or Unplayed Not in World, whichever it is called, and I see them in my game.
    You can find my Sims 4 creations by searching my Origin ID nualla_6109.
  • Options
    Vicks06Vicks06 Posts: 728 Member

I'm with you on this, I put people in that bin including but not limited to Chuck & Ned and I see them all the time (others are ones I downloaded from the gallery) oh and I moved Katrina and don out and left them out of world)
    ||Origin Name: VicksLouise||UK Simmer||Simmer since 2000||My Fanart||My Gallery||
  • Options
    00Nur00Nur Posts: 84 Member
    This all seems like needless hassle. I, too, would love to micromanage my town and populate it as I please. They really need to add that above mentioned feature to just turn it off. Or at least an option to lock certain sims in the unplayed homeless bin. This way it can create and cull to it's heart's content without deleting the locked homeless sims we choose. Otherwise it's this addon to monitor the population and that addon to stop the homeless culling oh but this addon to turn off spawning.. it's giving me a headache! :(
  • Options
    EtienneLucEtienneLuc Posts: 24 New Member
    Interesting. The only issue I've had with townie sims are a couple frumpy fat ladies. I had to go in and edit them and give them some 'style' so they weren't such an eyesore to look at. They actually look quite lovely now that they have some makeup and more attractive hairstyles, and decent clothes that flatter their frame rather than make them look like Walmart clearance bin shoppers.