The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is it just me or do all the kids basically look the same?!

Comments

• Options
    VlaxitovVlaxitov Posts: 5,798 Member
    nateslice wrote: »
    So, puddingface is apparently still a thing.

That's yet another issue, and yes that is true to some degree as well. I've give you an example of TS4 pudding face.

As long as there is no facial expression they can look how you want them to look.

2pzil9g.jpg

As soon as they smile they become a Sim version of what you wanted.

2wdccvt.jpg

• Options
    Zolt65Zolt65 Posts: 8,272 Member
    OhhTiffany wrote: »
    @gayars I want them to be obese lol, think of the underdog stories!!

Go to MTS, theres a mod that allows you to edit your sims size: look for Expanded Physique Range mod

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    They can be a little samey. Though their sameface is better than TS3's sameface. I think TS4's kids are so much cuter. But, yeah, I know what you mean.
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Options
    OhhTiffanyOhhTiffany Posts: 55 Member
    > @GabbyGirlJ said:
    > They can be a little samey. Though their sameface is better than TS3's sameface. I think TS4's kids are so much cuter. But, yeah, I know what you mean.

Way cuter, definitely way less creepy than last gen. I think the girls could be "cuter"..
    The features for kids seem very "uni-sex" whereas it's really difficult to give a young adult female Sim a sharp square chin...
    paperman12.gif
  • Options
    steve7859steve7859 Posts: 3,824 Member
    edited October 2014
    I find all male young adult/adult sims look the same
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Alysha1988 wrote: »
    Go try to make a kid in sims 3; they really do look identical. At least sims 4 kids don't look like ax murderer sociopaths.

But seriously yeah. I think the sims have had this issue for a long time.

Dorian_573f_zps64561760.png

manson1.jpg

Nope, fail to see the similarity.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Go try to make a kid in sims 3; they really do look identical. At least sims 4 kids don't look like ax murderer sociopaths.

manson1.jpg

Well the boy's hair just a little bit.

People over exaggerate how much better it is IMHO.

Yeah its better, its more concise controls. But its not like all TS3 Sims looked rancid or something.

In all actuality TS3 Sims had less facial expression which = less pudding face.

I'm sure someone will burn a cross in my lawn for saying that but its true.

• Options
    Vlaxitov wrote: »

manson1.jpg

Yeah its better, its more concise controls. But its not like all TS3 Sims looked rancid or something.

The hair, yeah, I'll give you that lol.
    To me the Sims 4 kids do look more individual by the way. Childhood in S3 is something you just fantasize through (teenagers are worse though).
    But murderer sociopaths? No, I never thought of them that way, my dear beloved legacy children ;)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options

manson1.jpg

To me the Sims 4 kids do look more individual by the way. Childhood in S3 is something you just fantasize through (teenagers are worse though).
    But murderer sociopaths? No, I never thought of them that way, my dear beloved legacy children ;)

Go back a page to another post of mine to see the punchline of TS4 kids looking more individual.

They look better, but the customization kind of ends up a little bit of a farce.

• Options
    RinilexRinilex Posts: 3,048 Member
    No, I've been thinking that for a while, actually. All the men look identical, too.
  • Options
    Rinilex wrote: »
    No, I've been thinking that for a while, actually. All the men look identical, too.

Its the facial expressions, it was the same way in TS2 only worse.

They did improve it over TS2, I'll give them that. But its still present.

• Options
    edited October 2014

manson1.jpg

Go back a page to another post of mine to see the punchline of TS4 kids looking more individual.

They look better, but the customization kind of ends up a little bit of a farce.
    Wait a minute....... Do you mean that children that grow up in the game can never have the features of their parents (when they become adults), because the game normalizes their appearances?
    Because as such, the same thing happens in S3 of course (children have very limited possibilities in that game too).
    But when they grow up, they just get their parents features, no matter what they looked like as a child.
    Or am I misunderstanding you?

5JZ57S6.png
  • Options

That's yet another issue, and yes that is true to some degree as well. I've give you an example of TS4 pudding face.

As long as there is no facial expression they can look how you want them to look.

2pzil9g.jpg

2wdccvt.jpg
    Yeah, well... no. I hate them when they go all quirky on me :(

5JZ57S6.png
  • Options

manson1.jpg

Wait a minute....... Do you mean that children that grow up in the game can never have the features of their parents (when they become adults), because the game normalizes their appearances?
    Because as such, the same thing happens in S3 of course (children have very limited possibilities in that game too).
    But when they grow up, they just get their parents features, no matter what they looked like as a child.

No the same thing doesn't happen, or at least doesn't happen as much in TS3, which is why you can actually have ugly generations of Sims in that version. Yes, it appears that TS4 normalizes Sims. You saw my before and after shot right? The only difference was the after shot was after childhood. So it normalized my Sim. Again, its no wonder people praise the genetics in this game because its tricked them into thinking they're good at it when the reality is this game is holding your hand making sure your generations of Sims look good.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

manson1.jpg

No the same thing doesn't happen, or at least doesn't happen as much in TS3, which is why you can actually have ugly generations of Sims in that version. Yes, it appears that TS4 normalizes Sims. You saw my before and after shot right? The only difference was the after shot was after childhood. So it normalized my Sim. Again, its no wonder people praise the genetics in this game because its tricked them into thinking they're good at it when the reality is this game is holding your hand making sure your generations of Sims look good.
    Sims 4 does handle that better by the way, being not ugly. You can tell when you change males into females.
    When you change a pretty S3 girl into a guy, the result can be hideous (which causes those ugly generations).
    That's why I'll never bring a partner into my game that hasn't been tested thoroughly in that department ;)

I did see the difference, it's quite clear. I just don't understand though (there was another topic about this by the way: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/12793986#Comment_12793986) why premade adults turn out completely different when they grow up in the game.

5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Rinilex wrote: »

Its the facial expressions, it was the same way in TS2 only worse.

They did improve it over TS2, I'll give them that. But its still present.

That, and for some reason the game generates all male townies with the same tiny eyes.

2pzil9g.jpg

2wdccvt.jpg

It's worse when they pull this face

the-sims-4-how-to-transfer-sims-from-demo-to-full-game.jpg

They look awful and it makes any two Sims look identical.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    It looks like Uglacies are out for TS4, then...
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    @astridentanja

I think "done better" when it comes to this is really a point of view. I don't need my hand held in this department and besides that, there are parameters you can't cross anyway. So its not like you can end up with too bad of results. Call me a ruthless master, but I rather enjoyed the challenged of selectively breeding Sims to look good, or at least roughly look like I wanted them to. If you messed that up you could always shake their plums down to the plastic surgeon anyway. To me its yet another way depth has bee gutted from the game.
  • Options
    @Rinilex you should start a TS4 pudding face thread. Its sure to get some action.. lol.
  • Options
    chloeazule91chloeazule91 Posts: 105 Member
    I agree they all look the same and I don't like it cause you cant tell how they're gonna grow up to look. When my sims are kids, since they have a lot of spare time as kids, and since later on it's so hard to tell if sims are the same age or not, I usually try to have them make friends with another kid in hopes they could date when they grow up. But often (well okay, always) the kids they meet grow up completely different-looking and unattractive :c
  • Options
    chloeazule91chloeazule91 Posts: 105 Member

I haven't found that happens at all...the opposite is happening for me; if I have two good-looking sims have a kid, the kid still grows up unattractive. I guess with the infinite amount of options for how a sim can look, two different sims don't mesh as well into one sim as they did in TS3, or something?

Also it REALLY bugs me how if a guy and a girl have a baby girl, the baby girl inherits some of her dad's masculine facial features. I tested it out in CAS using genetics to have two female sims have a baby girl, and it creates a much prettier kid.
  • Options
    @Rinilex you should start a TS4 pudding face thread. Its sure to get some action.. lol.

Could I be so evil as to cause that much drama? ...probably. :#

But unfortunately I don't have the game installed, so someone else will have to give it a try.
  • Options
    nateslicenateslice Posts: 1,440 Member
    I agree they all look the same and I don't like it cause you cant tell how they're gonna grow up to look. When my sims are kids, since they have a lot of spare time as kids, and since later on it's so hard to tell if sims are the same age or not, I usually try to have them make friends with another kid in hopes they could date when they grow up. But often (well okay, always) the kids they meet grow up completely different-looking and unattractive :c

I'm guessing that doesn't happen with Olivia Spencer-Kim-Lewis or Alexander Goth. I have a feeling a little extra work went into their designs to make sure they'd look good as they aged up.
  • Options
    xxVaynVastxxxxVaynVastxx Posts: 157 Member
    edited October 2014
    I think they look different.
    All my kitty sims look WAY different than my normalllll....."odd" looking sims as kids.
  • Options

I'm guessing that doesn't happen with Olivia Spencer-Kim-Lewis or Alexander Goth. I have a feeling a little extra work went into their designs to make sure they'd look good as they aged up.

Alexander Goth looks terrible grown up.