Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is it just me or do all the kids basically look the same?!

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    VlaxitovVlaxitov Posts: 5,798 Member

Rinilex wrote: »
    nateslice wrote: »
    I agree they all look the same and I don't like it cause you cant tell how they're gonna grow up to look. When my sims are kids, since they have a lot of spare time as kids, and since later on it's so hard to tell if sims are the same age or not, I usually try to have them make friends with another kid in hopes they could date when they grow up. But often (well okay, always) the kids they meet grow up completely different-looking and unattractive :c

I'm guessing that doesn't happen with Olivia Spencer-Kim-Lewis or Alexander Goth. I have a feeling a little extra work went into their designs to make sure they'd look good as they aged up.

Alexander Goth looks terrible grown up.

In TS4? Yeah, in TS4 he grows up to be Lurch.

2nbc6yb.jpg

• Options
    I think they look different.
    All my kitty sims look WAY different than my normalllll....."odd" looking sims as kids.

Show me some pics that of parents that have exaggerated features and their kids have just as exaggerated features.

• Options
    RinilexRinilex Posts: 3,048 Member
    Vlaxitov wrote: »
    I agree they all look the same and I don't like it cause you cant tell how they're gonna grow up to look. When my sims are kids, since they have a lot of spare time as kids, and since later on it's so hard to tell if sims are the same age or not, I usually try to have them make friends with another kid in hopes they could date when they grow up. But often (well okay, always) the kids they meet grow up completely different-looking and unattractive :c

I'm guessing that doesn't happen with Olivia Spencer-Kim-Lewis or Alexander Goth. I have a feeling a little extra work went into their designs to make sure they'd look good as they aged up.

2nbc6yb.jpg

LOL he does.

I was scouting out some legacy spouse material for my founder when I spotted him from behind and thought it might be fun to start off the legacy with some Goth genes. When I turned the camera around... jesus.

Yet he's so cute as a kid!
  • Options

2nbc6yb.jpg

LOL he does.

I was scouting out some legacy spouse material for my founder when I spotted him from behind and thought it might be fun to start off the legacy with some Goth genes. When I turned the camera around... jesus.

Yet he's so cute as a kid!

I think they might have done that on purpose. Goths are Addams inspired.

• Options
    PaperPandaPicnicPaperPandaPicnic Posts: 131 Member
    OhhTiffany wrote: »
    > @GabbyGirlJ said:<br />
    > They can be a little samey. Though their sameface is better than TS3's sameface. I think TS4's kids are so much cuter. But, yeah, I know what you mean.<br />
    <br />
    Way cuter, definitely way less creepy than last gen. I think the girls could be "cuter".. <br />
    The features for kids seem very "uni-sex" whereas it's really difficult to give a young adult female Sim a sharp square chin...
    This is true about real children though. Hair and clothing are the main way we tell young children's genders apart as they don't look that different yet. It's a game though so I agree it wouldn't hurt to feminine up the girl faces some but it's pretty realistic as is.

In general, I'm glad they normalize the faces some so we don't get terrible comibinations. If you want to change it you can always cas.fulleditmode your sims. And it stops my neighborhood from looking horribly ugly which I really didn't like in 3. I feel it's more work to have to fix a bunch of people to be non-mutant then maybe change a couple sims to be more extreme.

Also, young children do tend to have less exaggerated noses ect then adults. And I've gotten some variety and combinations that are somewhat more extreme and less cute then I would have made myself ect. (Girl with a very long face and tiny thin mouth, ect.) The third child is a pretty girl who is much rounder and sweeter faced.
  • Options
    I totally agree that it being normalized is good for a lot of people. I just wish there was a box I could check to opt out of it. I'd rather roll the dice.
  • Options
    DianeLuvsMunkyDianeLuvsMunky Posts: 104 Member
    I have the opposite problem, my inborn game sims look a lot less nice than their parents... some I've even had to edit in cas. *shh*

I've also noticed that my sims kids pick up extra looks from their parents when aging to teen. For example I had twins with blonde and red hair, but before turning into teens their parents aged to elders with grey hair. So when the sim twins aged into teens they both developed gray hair. -_- The same thing happened awhile back with another sim when I gave his mom blue hair.
    I don't know if it's just me or a glitch? But inherited trait seem wonky to me.
  • Options
    I have the opposite problem, my inborn game sims look a lot less nice than their parents...

It is the same problem, for example your avatar Sim has that Chiseled look as does mine when he's not face palming.

The game normalizes your kids to a less chiseled look.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited October 2014
    @astridentanja

I think "done better" when it comes to this is really a point of view. I don't need my hand held in this department and besides that, there are parameters you can't cross anyway. So its not like you can end up with too bad of results. Call me a ruthless master, but I rather enjoyed the challenged of selectively breeding Sims to look good, or at least roughly look like I wanted them to. If you messed that up you could always shake their plums down to the plastic surgeon anyway. To me its yet another way depth has bee gutted from the game.
    @Vlaxitov
    Yes, me too. I always hope for certain features to mix between the parents (eyes father, mouth mother; that sort of thing). And sometimes a child turns out the other way around and appears to be even better than I aimed for ;)
    The only thing I hate in S3 concerning genetics are the copy children.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    nateslicenateslice Posts: 1,440 Member
    I think they look different.
    All my kitty sims look WAY different than my normalllll....."odd" looking sims as kids.

Show me some pics that of parents that have exaggerated features and their kids have just as exaggerated features.

Oh, man, now I'm dreading the return of the Bunches.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    No, I've been thinking that for a while, actually. All the men look identical, too.

Its the facial expressions, it was the same way in TS2 only worse.

They did improve it over TS2, I'll give them that. But its still present.

That, and for some reason the game generates all male townies with the same tiny eyes.
    So, puddingface is apparently still a thing.

That's yet another issue, and yes that is true to some degree as well. I've give you an example of TS4 pudding face.

As long as there is no facial expression they can look how you want them to look.

2pzil9g.jpg

As soon as they smile they become a Sim version of what you wanted.

2wdccvt.jpg

It's worse when they pull this face

the-sims-4-how-to-transfer-sims-from-demo-to-full-game.jpg

They look awful and it makes any two Sims look identical.
    Yes, I agree. The uniqueness of the new sims goes as far as CAS, not beyond.
    5JZ57S6.png