Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

POLL: Do you miss open worlds?

Comments

• Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    fullspiral wrote: »
    Evalen wrote: »
    Not really. If the trade-off is livelier lots, I'll take it. Tbh, I often got the looney motive because I spent most of my time on my sim lot anyways.

my sims get the looney motive too, not because of loading screens, it is because I like playing with them at home. the nice thing is if they get that, all they have to do is go out the door and there are other sims ready to meet talk and interact with them, My sims like to jog, and they can still jog. there are so many things to collect in the public area that they can stay busy for hours. The loading screen are not so bad. I like that I can have one sim in one neighborhood at the bar and another sims in another neighborhood at the library or park and another at home and I can interact with them all. switching from one sim to another neighborhood or world. I can even switch from one sim to another and send them to the other sim where ever they are.

There's a looney motive in 4? I haven't come across it. What I meant was that I used to get it in 3 all the time.

Not sure what it is called, but it is from being in so long. no one to talk too etc.

• Options
    gayarsgayars Posts: 2,229 Member
    There is a loner trait, and then there is one from missing family if you go too long without talking to anybody. Is it one of those, or another one?
  • Options
    KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    Yes! So much! Not to mention these worlds are small!
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    Vlaxitov wrote: »
    I don't understand the livelier lots thing. In TS3 Sims were like scripted to gravitate towards lots your Sims were on.

Show up at the gym in TS3? Wait like 2 minutes and 5-6 Sims come rolling in.

I don't get that either. I had to install more equipment at my gym in TS3 because I would regularly find about a dozen sims working out. Sometimes more, sometimes less, but during normal hours it would be quite busy.
  • Options
    NianaNiana Posts: 211 Member
    Vlaxitov wrote: »
    I don't understand the livelier lots thing. In TS3 Sims were like scripted to gravitate towards lots your Sims were on.

Show up at the gym in TS3? Wait like 2 minutes and 5-6 Sims come rolling in.

I don't get that either. I had to install more equipment at my gym in TS3 because I would regularly find about a dozen sims working out. Sometimes more, sometimes less, but during normal hours it would be quite busy.

Same for me, my Sims 4 lots are emptier than my s3 ones.

Only difference is the stream of townies in front of my house but if I visit the park or any other venue I'm lucky if I have 10 Sims running around.
    My Sims 3 lots used to be packed.
  • Options
    bevillebeville Posts: 1,151 Member
    Nope!
  • Options
    PenelopePenelope Posts: 3,298 Member
    I VERY MUCH miss the open worlds. If Sims 4 had had an open world, it would have been incredible, instead of merely good. Sometimes I'm a little sad that there is so little area for my Sims to explore.
  • Options
    jonilla1jonilla1 Posts: 1,120 Member
    I miss the open world a little, but not enough to destroy my gaming experience with The Sims 4.

The new "semi-open world" is enough for me and the game runs a little bit better than Sims 3 because of it. So i'm pretty happy with this game and it has so much potential in it :)

Like almost everyone has said: The Sims 4's biggest problem is that The Sims 3 exists.
    Origin EA ID: Xaldin257 Friend requests are welcome.

Some of my creations in the gallery use CC so remember to enable them in the gallery's options to see them all.
  • Options
    harryjames009harryjames009 Posts: 84 Member
    No, how can I miss what I have in Sims 3, open worlds. When I play Sims 4, it's a different game, not a sequel.
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Not really. If the trade-off is livelier lots, I'll take it. Tbh, I often got the looney motive because I spent most of my time on my sim lot anyways.

my sims get the looney motive too, not because of loading screens, it is because I like playing with them at home. the nice thing is if they get that, all they have to do is go out the door and there are other sims ready to meet talk and interact with them, My sims like to jog, and they can still jog. there are so many things to collect in the public area that they can stay busy for hours. The loading screen are not so bad. I like that I can have one sim in one neighborhood at the bar and another sims in another neighborhood at the library or park and another at home and I can interact with them all. switching from one sim to another neighborhood or world. I can even switch from one sim to another and send them to the other sim where ever they are.

There's a looney motive in 4? I haven't come across it. What I meant was that I used to get it in 3 all the time.

Not sure what it is called, but it is from being in so long. no one to talk too etc.

I think that is tied to "loves the outdoors" trait. But in 4, they don't have to leave their lot, just go outside, even if it's to the backyard.
  • Options
    SugarysimSugarysim Posts: 440 Member
    I don't miss open world, I miss having a good variety of places to visit, and that has nothing to do with open world. As long as EP's add lots of different community lot types and different worlds to go to, I'll be happy.
    E6Gi2HA.png
  • Options
    mrsnava82mrsnava82 Posts: 664 Member
    Not really just been enjoying the game I forgot all about open worlds.
    signature.png
  • Options
    SimPoseyYumSimPoseyYum Posts: 995 Member
    This thread has generate a lot of responses, and perhaps it's time to make a quick tally. I took the liberty of doing just that. With a bit over 9 pages and well over 150 responses, the results seem to fall like this (as of the time I'm writing this post):

Miss = 81
    Don't Miss = 47
    Sorta, kinda Miss = 10

I tried to leave out the posts that were simply responding to other posts or those that were discussing other things (such as traits). As the OP pointed out, there are no "wrong" opinions (and by extension, no "winners" or "losers", "haters" or "lovers"). I just thought it might be interesting to see the numbers.
  • Options
    SchweighsrSchweighsr Posts: 3,342 Member
    For me personally, I like TS4 for what it is, but with a camera hack I downloaded, I zoomed all the way out and the world was well, tiny. Combine that will a 2D map and loading screens galore, it sort of takes me out of the experience. Do you miss the open worlds, or do you think the new "semi-open" world is a better approach? There are no wrong opinions :)

This is one of the main reasons that I will not buy TS4 - not because the open world in TS3 was all that great, but because it is impossible to control 2 different Sims in 2 different locations. In TS3 I can have each member of my family in a different lot and get to each with just a mouse-click and no wait.

Of course I never had a problem with lag in TS3, even though my current game is in Midnight Hollow which is notorious for it (I think it is second only to Isla Paradiso for problems, but I haven't had any there, either). I also don't mind waiting for TS3 to start - I'd rather have one 3 minute wait at the beginning of the game than have twenty 10-second waits in the middle of the game. I know that others feel differently. I also think that while everyone may be happy with the short loads now, those loading screens between lots are only going to get longer once you add a bunch of EPs/ SPs/ DLC/ CC to the game.

• Options
    songsmith2003songsmith2003 Posts: 1,461 Member
    I really think fast loading screens will slow down quite a bit once EPs are added. They'll definitely slow when/if players start adding in a lot of recolors and other CC. That's why I don't consider them when it comes to the way the world is set up.
  • Options
    scowlingcatscowlingcat Posts: 4 New Member
    I miss being able to control multiple sims in multiple places as well.

I really do not miss the Sims 3 lagging every five minutes and Nraas' Errortrap resetting every single resident. Or the ten minutes it took to load my saved games. Other wise? Yeah I wish the lots in the neighborhoods weren't gated behind loading screens, but I'll take a loading screen over the game hanging because some stupid sim is trying to rout over a sheer cliff.
  • Options
    SugarysimSugarysim Posts: 440 Member
    edited October 2014
    Yeah I do miss being able control sims in different locations. I miss that a lot actually.
    E6Gi2HA.png
  • Options
    Coffefreak4LifeCoffefreak4Life Posts: 8,082 Member
    If you had asked me within my first week of play I would have said yes but I've readjusted to the closed system now so no i dont miss it . With that said it would be nice to have more venue types and bigger worlds but i expect that to come in time .
  • Options
    jadealixjadealix Posts: 788 Member
    No I don't miss it.
  • Options
    gayarsgayars Posts: 2,229 Member
    Sometimes I will send one of my sims to a community lot when other members of the family are off at work or school anyway, and sometimes I will do all of them, and sometimes I just go oh well, and send one to a lot by him/herself and leave the rest at home. The weird thing is, sometimes they take care of their needs better than if I am there micromanaging them! But then occasionally I will come in and they will all be a mess...
  • Options
    Blazko64Blazko64 Posts: 36 Member
    edited October 2014
    I don't miss it I found sims 3 to be way to unoptimized and I exceed the recommended specs for both sims 3 and sims 4 but the difference is sims 4 is very smooth compared to sims 3 where you would have bugs, glitchy animation, freezes etc. sure i am not a huge fan of all the loading screens but sims 4 is a much better base game. i almost didn't buy it since i was so disappointed in sims 3 but i am glad i did i have over 100 hours in it so far and love all the mods. i mean the main difference is with sims 3 i was looking for mods to clean up the mess ea left us while sims 4 i am looking forward to mods adding more features.
  • Options
    ferret9005ferret9005 Posts: 1,361 Member
    I really miss the open world. I could jog all around town with no loading screens. I miss the restaurants too.
  • Options
    juanowen87juanowen87 Posts: 5 New Member
    remember Isla Paradisio? yeah, all those bugs at launch? The Sims 4 new approach solves future issues like that by default because of how it's made. it's certainly not perfect but I'd rather have a smooth lag free running world.

My only concern atm is, loading is fast'ish now but what happens when we're 4+ expansions in and our computer needs to load more files in new worlds/towns? I hope load times dont go from 10 secs to 1m:30s
  • Options
    juanowen87juanowen87 Posts: 5 New Member
    > @kerryn96 said:
    > While the open world was nice, I don't really miss it in the Sims 4. When I want to play in an open world, I simply load up my Sims 3 game again and play that for a while. I'm all for the semi open nieghbourhoods we have in the Sims 4, I think they are a good idea as it largely improves game performance. If they were just a tad bigger, and each "sub-district" was a little bigger than only 5 lots (7-10 perhaps?) then it would be perfect.

This commenter's statements are on-point.
  • Options
    AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    I like the way The Sims 4 is setup. If I need to go somewhere it does not take that long to load the neighbors house or the gym. The game runs a lot smoother than The Sims 3. I remember the long load screens The Sims One had when going on vacation. Now that was a long wait!