Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Takes forever to make friends.. takes a second to lose them. Sims are too needy lol

I've noticed it takes a while to be friends with someone. I've also noticed that if you go a day or two without talking to friends, that the relationship suffers a crazy amount. Anyone noticed this? This sucks when you have to make 4 friends for work lol.
tumblr_nbohhmBjJm1r9tnsko1_1280.png
>>>>Origin ID : BeeFierce <<<<

Comments

• Options
    BlackXIBlackXI Posts: 15 New Member
    Yes it is kind of hard to keep relationships going. I noticed this when trying to get the serial romantic aspiration.
  • Options
    AnnePlaysAnnePlays Posts: 2,504 Member
    If you're fine with using mods, you can try @mgomez' Relationship Decay.

IIRC, there's also a cheat to modify relationships. But you have to have control of the other Sim as well, for the relationship to be requited.
    muscle_gumball_by_vanillycake-d4a9ida.png
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited October 2014
    I find it easy. The trick is to know which topics to avoid and to use the Deep Conversation whenever it pops up. Mischievous options can make or break the relationship, depending on the sim. Call them once a day. Invite them over and talk to them a few times, etc...
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    Just wait until your charisma skill goes up and you can use the special introductions. Whip out one of those and you start with a big chunk of green.
  • Options
    simspeaker4simspeaker4 Posts: 5,999 Member
    So it's like Sims 2 in that regard? Sorry, haven't gotten the game yet so I'm not sure.
    I am a perfectly decrepit withered old hag who enjoys self-mockery.

Need help falling asleep? http://wry7000.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    blaznfalcnblaznfalcn Posts: 731 Member
    AnnePlays wrote: »
    Yes! Love that mod, makes it so much better and less time consuming.
    "Laziness is a state of mind, not necessarily a lack of action"
    ZY6USJj.gif
  • Options
    BamajamBamajam Posts: 812 Member
    I've been lucky. My sims relationships seem to increase quickly and then decay is slow.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    This is one reason I didn't want to make all my Sims 'friend of the world' Sims since that aspiration gives the Sim a trait to help them make and keep relationships much easier. I think that trait should be available for any Sim in the game if I choose to create a Sim which would have an easier time of keeping their friends. I'm still disturbed if they do have friends they might die and I don't get a headstone to bring them back. Argh. :s
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    pguidapguida Posts: 7,481 Member
    I've noticed it takes a while to be friends with someone. I've also noticed that if you go a day or two without talking to friends, that the relationship suffers a crazy amount. Anyone noticed this? This sucks when you have to make 4 friends for work lol.

There's a relationship decay mod at ModTheSims.Info that allows you to customise how fast relationships decay, both romantic and friendship.
  • Options
    blaznfalcn wrote: »
    AnnePlays wrote: »
    Yes! Love that mod, makes it so much better and less time consuming.

Indeed. We LOVE @mgomez .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    So it's like Sims 2 in that regard? Sorry, haven't gotten the game yet so I'm not sure.

No, it seems a bit harder. In Sims 2, the phone was a big crutch. You could have your Sims make a couple of phone calls a day and keep relationships up. In Sims 4, the phone calls aren't as effective in boosting relationship scores.

I don't find new relationships hard to establish, but they decay faster than I would like.
  • Options
    katoregamakatoregama Posts: 1,129 Member
    I use the relationship decay mod myself, set to 50%. I still want decay. Just a bit slower.
    Also, I don't know why but last night I was gaining friends like crazy. My current main Sim does NOT have Gregarious. Did the ghost patch boost conversational potency? I maxed out friendship with Vernon and Gladys over the course of a single conversation.
    Kato, Kato, rhymes with tomato.
    Players: Check out my Sims 4 Room Challenge.
    Devs & Players: Check out my Archaeology Career Idea
  • Options
    katoregama wrote: »
    I use the relationship decay mod myself, set to 50%. I still want decay. Just a bit slower.
    Also, I don't know why but last night I was gaining friends like crazy. My current main Sim does NOT have Gregarious. Did the ghost patch boost conversational potency? I maxed out friendship with Vernon and Gladys over the course of a single conversation.

I put Romance at 50% and friendship at 25%.
  • Options
    SimPoseyYumSimPoseyYum Posts: 995 Member
    A true friend doesn't require constant babysitting and relentless attention. A true friendship will pick right back up where it left off, even if the people involved haven't had an opportunity to connect in years. This sim nonsense of having to have extended conversations with a *friend* every single day is annoying.

My chef sim now has a requirement to have 5 friends before he can advance in his career. He barely has enough time in a day to keep his needs in the green (taking 1-hour showers and peeing for 30 minutes several times a day doesn't help). I don't do mods, so I'm really dreading this.
  • Options
    > @SelenaGrey said:
    >
    > I don't use mods either and my sim has green bars almost all the time.
    >
    > Do you take advantage of reward traits you can buy with aspiration points? There are some that can get rid of decay or really slow it down and it makes the game easier without modding or cheating.

Thanks for the suggestion, SelenaGrey. In a prior Sims game (can't remember which one), using rewards completely eliminated the need to pee, eat or shower. Made the game feel broken to me. I don't want that -- I just want him to do those things quicker. A 10 minute shower. A 2 minute pee. Do the Sims 4 potions reduce or eliminate?
  • Options
    katoregamakatoregama Posts: 1,129 Member
    edited October 2014
    The Beloved Trait is a bit difficult to acquire since having five BFF's requires you to gain a BFF, then either shout at them until they hate you, or wait for a few weeks while it naturally decays. EA is considering allowing players to have multiple BFF's. to expedite this. If they do, I will no longer have any need for the relationship mod.
    Kato, Kato, rhymes with tomato.
    Players: Check out my Sims 4 Room Challenge.
    Devs & Players: Check out my Archaeology Career Idea
  • Options
    KiwiLover875KiwiLover875 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Judging by some of your comments, I see you guys somewhat feel the same way. I have CC in my game, but no actual mods yet. I don't know if I'm gonna use a mod to fix the issue.. I guess it depends on how annoying it gets
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,401 Member

This is why they need to patch in the ability to raise the relationship sliders with testingcheats like we could in TS2 and TS3. There is a mod for this now but some people don't use mods.

• Options

This is why they need to patch in the ability to raise the relationship sliders with testingcheats like we could in TS2 and TS3. There is a mod for this now but some people don't use mods.
    LOL yes!
  • Options
    I would love a cheat like that! I don't mind using cheats, if absolutely necessary. I like knowing I *can* if I have to.

Anyway, I had my test Sim try to force a friendship today. She invited a fellow over and relentlessly peppered him with joke after joke. It was exhausting. Their relationship improved but didn't make it up to friend status before he left. She went to bed but another fellow showed up on the doorstep, so she got out of bed and did the same comedy routine. He went to friend status.

Her energy now solidly in the red, she gave him a hug, said goodbye (hint, hint) and went to bed. Um, he didn't leave. Hung about, raiding her fridge, playing on her computer(!!), reading her books and watching TV for another 3 hours. At least he didn't try to crawl into bed with her -- that would have been the end of that friendship!

/sigh I suppose I'll have to just dig deep and attack this friend-making/keeping monster. Ugh.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    You and me both. I plan on doing it later tonight. My sim Lyla needs 4 friends for work. I can't imagine this will end well.

• Options
    Kiwi said: "...I can't imagine this will end well..."

Kiwi, it was *worse* than you can imagine. My Sim had the day off, so he "planned" a party ((side note: why oh why can't we plan a party for the future -- all parties start right NOW grrrr)). There were only 2 sims available to invite so he invited them both. He didn't know them well, maybe 15% green on each.

They showed up instanteously and proceeded to clean out the fridge ((thank goodness my Sim had food in there)). He persuaded them to dance, listen to music, chat and mingle. He plied them with joke after joke, funny story after funny story. He discovered that they were BOTH evil.

Things went downhill fast.They began hurling insults (while still chowing down on everything in sight). They left dirty dishes everywhere. The relationships deteriorated rapidly, dipping into the red zone. I had to end the party early and send these wretched creatures packing. My Sim was ANGRY and in his whole simlife, he's NEVER been angry. I was stressed. I calmed him down, sent him to bed, saved and quit.

What a colossal waste of time and energy. He STILL doesn't have any friends (and can't get promoted without them). Frankly, I'm liking this less and less.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,401 Member
    It is necessary since we can't move sims in as friends from cas or best friends. In ts3 I just cheated and raised to best friends after moving in.
  • Options
    Kiwi said: "...I can't imagine this will end well..."<br />
    <br />
    Kiwi, it was *worse* than you can imagine. etc

I read everything you wrote, I just couldn't quote it all without the format going all wonky.

OMG I actually threw a party too... the party actually went well, but I came out of it with no new friends. My sim Lyla currently has 1 friend out of 4.. and the only reason she has 1 is because she's friends with the dude who lives with her.
    It is necessary since we can't move sims in as friends from cas or best friends. In ts3 I just cheated and raised to best friends after moving in.

We need that cheat lol.

• Options
    AloeVistaAloeVista Posts: 326 Member
    Without interacting with them yeah their relationship can suffer a lot (like in two days) however I don't think its particularly difficult to make friends. What I do group chat multiple sims then focus on one at a time and spam friendly interactions on one until they are friends and then I move onto the next. I did notice however that the higher their relationship bar the less the relationship suffers from neglect it seems? I don't know.
    rvbRMVD.jpg