Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims of different Eras!

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    FoxyLovesKittyFoxyLovesKitty Posts: 889 Member
    I'd love to have a Sims game that focuses on the Victorian era and have vampires in it! That would be awesome. I am a fan of the Victorian era, I love the clothing, the houses, the furniture. There should be antique cars and wagons, horses and farms. However, I doubt they would make such a game since the idea doesn't appeal to the majority of people :/
  • Options
    SchweighsrSchweighsr Posts: 3,342 Member
    In the past I have suggested that EA make a 'Sims Through Time' EP, but it hasn't gotten a lot of support. I love generational game-play (I always play Legacy-style) and it always bothered me that every generation lived in the same era as the one before.

The EP would work similarly to the TS2 Seasons EP - there would be different eras and the player would have the option to determine their order and duration. Each era would last about the life-span of one generation. The EP would ship with 3 new eras but Modders could create additional ones (okay, I am reaching here - it would require that EA make the game friendly to outside content). Alternately they could sell additional eras through the Store, the same way that they would sell a World. I imagine that the 3 eras included in the EP would be Medieval, Victorian/ Steampunk and Future as they are the most popular. The base game default would be the 4th era - Modern Day.

Each era would have its own clothing style and transportation. The selection and requirements for careers wouldn't change but the description, work-outfit and job name would change. For example, the top job in the military career (yeah, I know, no military career yet) might be General in the base state, Knight Protector in the Medieval era, Warlord of the Air in the Victorian era and Space Admiral in the Futuristic era - or something along those lines.
    Transportation and technology would be the biggest hurdles - right now there are no cars and Sims going to work just disappear, but that might change. If it does whatever car-pool comes would have to suit the era. But finding replacements for phones, televisions, etc. would be harder. Especially telephones - a puppet theater could replace a TV, a music box replace a stereo and a notebook and pen could replace a computer (for writing, at least), but phones do a lot in the game. You'd probably have to allow people to use anachronistic technology if they wanted.

There would be a default rotation for the eras but the player could alter that if they wanted. For example, a player might want to play an apocalypse-type setting by putting the Medieval era after the Modern Day. It would even be possible to put your game on one era and leave it there indefinitely.

Such an EP would be have to include a LOT of content, so they might only provide two new eras instead of three. There would have to be a way for the player to categorize additional clothing and objects (either CC or DLC) for each era, too - otherwise you'll have Sim in spacesuits walking around a Medieval era or - at the other extreme - everyone wearing the same clothes.

I've suggested this idea for TS2 and TS3 and it hasn't generated a lot of interest - but it would be perfect EP for me.
  • Options
    GlimmerCloveGlimmerClove Posts: 90 Member
    > @Oilbasedoleander said:
    > So I loved The Sims Medieval, not because of the RPG aspect with a dash of simulation. But because of the time period it was set in. They had jobs reflecting that period, clothes, decor and even the tone of the sims voices were perfect. The graphics were even set perfectly for the time period! They got sick, or hurt (My all time favorite was the physician who stuck leeches on sims to make them better, just brilliant). Had sword fights and two different religious styles. . It was clever, fun, and silly but not to the point of annoyance. To me, if they had incorporated more Sims aspects such as families, building homes and places of work and made the world a little more open... essentially sandbox play... TSM would have been the perfect game and I would have never looked back at any other sims games.
    > But alas, that ship has sailed away...
    >
    > But my idea for the Sims to take the game play through out any historical era has nagged me for a while. I loved being able to download different worlds for TS3 with different themes, but ultimately, the taxis and cellphones would just kill it... especially in Dragon Valley.
    >
    > What if the franchise did specific eras? What if they dedicated games and expansions to certain time periods? Could you imagine having horse and buggies instead of cars? Crappy stone roads instead of pavement? Jobs and abilities, clothing (hair) and decor that reflected that time period? The way the sims talked or their interactions! I'd be the happiest piggy in the mudpen.
    >
    > So my questions to you are...
    >
    > 1. If you could chose a point in history, based on any culture, what would it be? Even if it's fantasy/fiction! (Examples: Medieval England, Ancient Egypt, Roman Empire, Victorian Steampunk... ect.)
    > 2. Why did you chose this Era?
    > 3. What are some big features from this Era you'd like to see come to life in the Sims?
    >
    > I'd love to hear your ideas and feedback on this! Don't leave a comment like "EA would never do this it's too much money blah blah blah", yes I know... This is for fun! So get creative, and indulge a little~ It's good to dream.
    >
    > I suppose I should answer my own questions as well... Even though it's hard to chose...
    >
    > 1. Victorian Era (1800-1870's)
    > 2. I've always been in love with this time period. The fashion and architecture just make me drool... Plus I just love Sherlock Holmes!
    > 3... let's do this and break it down!
    >
    > Careers (And let's not get too authentic here, women can also have these jobs)
    > Inventor: Inventions were big. Moving slowly away from Horse and buggies to the very first automobiles, trains, telegraphs and cameras. This is a perfect job for this era!
    > Banker: Put yo money in the bank, and now it's all mine.
    > Chimney Sweep: Who doesn't like good ol' Mary Poppins dancing with soot covered chimney sweeps on the roof tops?
    > Judges: Lay down that law.
    > Physicians: Scarlet Fever? Not in my crappy hospital!
    > Burglar: That's a nice pocket watch you have there... five finger discount!
    > Butcher: Nobody messes with the Butcher. Enjoy your bacon.
    > Actor: To be or not to be... a minimum wage actor.
    > Miner/Laborer: Back to the coal mine, beware of the black lung!
    >
    > Part time work for young teens/kids can be chimney sweeps, factory work, newsie or pick pocket.
    >
    > Skills
    > Woodworking
    > Weaving and/or Seamstress
    > Writing/Poet
    > Music (harpsichord/piano, harp, flute, violin)
    > Candle making
    > Painting
    > Gardening
    > (You can either sell the things you make or be hired for events for the Poet or the Musician)
    >
    > And being a physician we need illnesses!! We could do spin offs of these diseases - Llama Lumps (your sims face and hands swell and you have a fever and sweat a lot), Plumpox (your sim is covered with red itchy spots and their nose turns red), maybe a broken arm or leg and they hobble around for a bit until you get it fixed!
    >
    > Architecture and Decor
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > The Fashion
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I'd love to have recreational activities as well! Lawn Tennis, Croquet, Tea Times, Dancing (waltz), pipes for blowing bubbles... ect.
    >
    > Wow... so I went into crazy detail with this, you don't have to, lol but like I said, it's for fun, and I would love to hear your ideas!
    > Thank you for reading!

I feel like Moonlight Falls is somewhat Victorian...the architecture and even some of the paintings and clothes that come with supernatural have that Victorian feel...which I really like
  • Options
    syg1523syg1523 Posts: 102 Member
    1. I can't seem to make up my mind and choose between Medieval and Victorian, because both of those I love the best!
    2. As I said in point number 1 I love those two eras the best. I love the clothing and the very little access to technology based crap (i.e. cellphones, televisions, kitchen appliances, vehicles, electrical stuff, etc.).
    3. I want all the features that was in The Sims Medieval except I don' want so many rabbitholes, if at all possible. If they are knights (for the Medieval aspect, we can go with them to work and watch them beat up training dummies, and spar with each other, but if they go to war or do some kind of campaigning then it would make sense for them to go off into the distance and disappear off (rabbithole appropriate, right?) as well as having blacksmiths and armorers. Then just like in TS4 where you can go to work, for Victorian and Medieval hospitals we could have medical facilities appropriate for the Medieval time period or the Victorian time period. Have clothing stores, equipped with seamstresses, tailors, and barbers, etc.

And all all those other awesome features that the original poster and GlimmerClove said and it will be a perfect game! I wonder if the devs wold consider remaking these concept for TS4 like they did the Sims Medieval from TS3? That wold be awesome!