Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA/Maxis Silence

Comments

• Options
    VlaxitovVlaxitov Posts: 5,798 Member
    Glic2003 wrote: »
    bobyo2001 wrote: »
    Just proves how much the company cares about their fanbase. Pathetic.

I don't think they even know who or what their fanbase is.

Why should we care that they care about us?

Whats concerning is it doesn't appear that they care about their game.
  • Options
    blaznfalcnblaznfalcn Posts: 731 Member
    If they want to go this route, then why don't they create a new series called Olympus and leave The Sims alone.
    It's better to trick the fanbase of an established series and get their money. ;)
    "Laziness is a state of mind, not necessarily a lack of action"
    ZY6USJj.gif
  • Options
    xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member

I bet they think their fanbase are RPG players.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options
    Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    Without course change it will sink yes. But i really hope to see changes, i hate to remind you SimguruGraham said no Sims Game anymore when Sims 4 will fail at least for a long time...

I don't need to be reminded of Graham's foot-in-mouth comment. It came across as desperate and whiny to me. Waah, buy our flop of a game. Waah, if you don't buy it I'm going to hold my breath 'til I turn blue there won't be a Sims 5.

If they REALLY wanted there to be a Sims 5 then they should have done a much, much better job on Sims 4. It's no one's fault but their own if the game sells poorly and bores so many of the people who did buy it.
  • Options
    xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    blaznfalcn wrote: »
    If they want to go this route, then why don't they create a new series called Olympus and leave The Sims alone.
    It's better to trick the fanbase of an established series and get their money. ;)

Sadly.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options
    KrayzieStrykerKrayzieStryker Posts: 2,646 Member
    Stdlr9 wrote: »
    Without course change it will sink yes. But i really hope to see changes, i hate to remind you SimguruGraham said no Sims Game anymore when Sims 4 will fail at least for a long time...

I don't need to be reminded of Graham's foot-in-mouth comment. It came across as desperate and whiny to me. Waah, buy our flop of a game. Waah, if you don't buy it I'm going to hold my breath 'til I turn blue there won't be a Sims 5.

If they REALLY wanted there to be a Sims 5 then they should have done a much, much better job on Sims 4. It's no one's fault but their own if the game sells poorly and bores so many of the people who did buy it.

Oh yeah well but it would be sad for the Sims Franchise i really love all Games (except Sims 4 now) since Sims 1 well at least all about Sims Main Games, so i don't mean Sims Medieval or other Side Games. And yes its their fault but still its sad if this ends here. I don't want to see it end with this Sims 4.
  • Options
    ChangkraChangkra Posts: 165 Member
    I still play the Sims 1, Sims 2 and Sims 3 - thank goodness for bigger hard drives these days.

There were no toddlers in the Sims 1, but there were swimming pools in all 3.

I miss the swimming pools and I do miss being able to shop. I miss the open world which the Sims 3 brought.

When the Sims 3 came out shopping was a different experience than the Sims 2 being a rabbit hole(?) and I missed not being able to go into a shop and browse and choose what to buy, but the majority of simmers became used to that.

I think we need to look at this game the Sims 4 as a completely different new game which really the Sims 3 was from the Sims 1&2

As for EA/Maxis disappearing, that says to me they are working on something that is close to being released - the quiet before the storm -

I will say that my son who has programmed for a game and has a degree in IT agrees with most of the simmers on here. He says it’s not difficult to program the swimming pools or toddlers. He thinks they will release am expansion pack with hot tubs and swimming pools and toddlers will come in another. Maxis way of keeping the money coming in.
  • Options
    Oh yeah well but it would be sad for the Sims Franchise i really love all Games (except Sims 4 now) since Sims 1 well at least all about Sims Main Games, so i don't mean Sims Medieval or other Side Games. And yes its their fault but still its sad if this ends here. I don't want to see it end with this Sims 4.

It would be sad for the franchise, that I can certainly agree with. At this point I wish EA would sell the rights to the franchise to another gaming company who'd do a better job.

• Options
    ChangkraChangkra Posts: 165 Member
    That comment got me about the Sims 5 not being made as well.

I for one would like to see the Sims franchise continue but If they do make a Sims 5 I will be very surprised if they even consider a sixth. I just cannot see it continuing past 5.
  • Options
    psychotrip1psychotrip1 Posts: 237 Member

I bet they think their fanbase are RPG players.

Screw that noise. I'm an rpg nerd for life and I heavily dislike this game. If I wanted to play an rpg I'd....play an actual rpg. If I want to play a life-simulator sandbox I play the Sims 3. I don't know what the Sims 4 has to offer me
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/12696591/#Comment_12696591
    As I've posted elsewhere - any feedback both negative (how else is the team going to know what you don't like?!) and positive are welcome - just no fights/flames/trolls and you're good :) thanks.

• Options
    baddazonerbaddazoner Posts: 573 Member
    I read this article today after it was posted on another site I don't think I'm allowed to link to.

Wrapping up the session, Franklin and Bradshaw talked about the reception for Sims 4, which came out two weeks ago. They were certainly proud of the game, most notably the capability to share creations between friends. That said, Franklin was open about how the game fell short in communicating how you shouldn’t approach the The Sims 4 should with a Sims 3 mindset. “We haven’t done a great job in explaining to the world what the game’s possibilities are,” Franklin said. Still, they’re both optimistic that the fans will soon figure things out.

The quote that really bothered me was this one (this is the quote that was originally mentioned on another Sims site)
    “It’s less of a life simulation but more a game about drama."

It seems they have admitted they have changed direction and we are being left to figure things out.

if the plan is to make the game (and all expansions) less life simulation and more drama filled they might as well give the game the kiss of death now

• Options
    JoxerTM22 wrote: »
    While evening chat SG seems vanished from the world, morning chat SGs come and do talk to fans. Briefly though, but well.
    Also EA Bioware staff talks to fans over on Bioware forums.

The problem is not lack of the communication with fans. The problem is EA refusing to give fans what they want, while making vague excuses.
    And do we want pools? EA knows the answer.

but you dont speak for everybody not everybody wants pools i didnt use them in sims3 really at all

So because you don't use them, no one should have them? We just want OPTIONS. Have pools and other features, or don't have them, player's choice. Make things like build and buy items optional, also supernatural states, story progression, etc.

• Options
    VirtualPets65VirtualPets65 Posts: 133 Member
    EA DOES have other games to take care of...Sims isn't their only game,you know. EA needs to take care of games like Wing Commander,their sports games,Bejeweled,etc. They did not "alienate" fans, they are busy trying to fix Sims AND giving attention to all their other games,too. We fans seriously need to stop accusing EA of things like "not caring about us" and "being lazy",and let them do what they need to do with all of their games.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    EA DOES have other games to take care of...Sims isn't their only game,you know. EA needs to take care of games like Wing Commander,their sports games,Bejeweled,etc. They did not "alienate" fans, they are busy trying to fix Sims AND giving attention to all their other games,too. We fans seriously need to stop accusing EA of things like "not caring about us" and "being lazy",and let them do what they need to do with all of their games.

So they didn't have this Games too in 2009 ? ^^
    Because in this time Sims 3 was a real Success and EA wasn't silent at all lol
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    edited September 2014
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    Asuka7794 wrote: »
    Can't expect much from a bunch of fools without a degree in anything. Lets just hope EA decides to put an experienced team on the sims 5...The last time EA truly wanted sims to impress fans was the sims 2. Sims 2 team was made up of experienced talented programmers, artists, and designers. The start of sims 3 saw a decline is quality of work. Short cuts, shallow gameplay, and bad coding. At least sims 3 had an open world going for it. Sims 4 is just a tapeworm infested diarrhea cluster created by a team that has no experience or talent. Not sure if sims 5 is going to even happen judging by the gigantic flop sims 4 created when it was released from the atmosphere, falling at terminal velocity and belly flopping into the water.

Except it's the exact same development team. A lot of the developers for The Sims 4 have been hear since The Sims 2 (some from The Sims 1).

The problem is, developers can only do so much with the budget they are given. Most of the things missing from the Sims 4 had to do with cost. Same with The Sims 3. They were given a budget to create a game, but barely given a budget to fix the bugs.

The Sims 2 had a huge development coming from the Sims 1. Same with The Sims 3. But the Sims 3 started off selling well, but ended up selling less than half of The Sims 2. So the budget for TS4 would be obviously lower.

I hate when people use that argument "some of the team has been here since The Sims 2!" That does nothing to help the current game, because chances are when they worked on The Sims 2 they were not the same position. For the most part that is the case, as new games are put into production different team members are moved over to start on the new game in a different position. So while some people who worked on The Sims 2 worked on this game, they most likely were not involved in the development process in the same way they are now.

As far as a budget goes, they have released the base game so they can no longer claim to have budgeting problems. They have started fresh with a completely new budget to develop EP01. Do I expect the first EP to really expand the base experience? No. It's clear this game certainly has it's fair share of limitations that the team really can't work around, the most glaring would be the loading screens between lots. In my opinion they really screwed up the base game, and they will lose players as more EP's are released that cannot live up to The Sims 2 or 3 in level of quality or content.

What I cannot understand is the people who say sims3 had bugs etc to defend 4. Surely we should be expecting much more from sims4 seeing as it's years down the line and as that's the myth they used to sell 4 with drastically stripped down base game-we were promised a really strong stable game. That's not my experience, or the experience of plenty of fans judging by the bugs reported. What's wrong with expecting quality?

I really haven't experienced too many bugs in any of the sims games I have played (including 4). I judge this game on it's quality and a big factor for that (to me at least) is replay value. Something which The Sims 2 has plenty of, The Sims 3 is decent with the base features available to you (It also has a lot of RPG elements), but The Sims 4 offers very little replay value. To even venture off of your currently loaded lot offers you very little to do, besides visit a few different lots. Some of which offer the exact same functionality under different venue types. The main thing they force on you in The Sims 4 is to go out into the world and search for collectables, and fish, and graft plants, and just all of these things that you really can't do over and over because it's not exciting. That's the real problem with The Sims 4 and it's set of features at launch, they just aren't exciting enough. Not to beat a dead horse, but pools WOULD have made a huge difference in this game, because other than the Gyms, Nightclubs, Recreational Buildings (0 purpose behind these locations), and parks there are no interesting places to visit. What they need to do is improve how the world works and what is available to the player. Lot to lot loading is ridiculous, I can understand loading between neighborhoods but having to hit a loading screen to visit the lot next door is excessive and just a poor design. Now I know it's entirely too late to make that change, or maybe it's not, we really wouldn't know because MAXIS doesn't release information about unpopular features of their games unless they absolutely have too. I for one would like to know how strong their foundation actually is, could it handle having each tiny neighborhood being open? My guess is no.
  • Options
    Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    Hello @Cinebar sorry I wasn't here earlier. I was unaware of the article when I joined this thread. I will go read but it's existence makes me really cross with EA. And it all comes back to communication.

As a player of a life simulation game I would reasonably expect the next iteration in the series to be a life simulation game. If it wasn't then I would expect to be told beforehand.

I would not expect to be asked to figure out the change for myself or to adjust my approach to the game.

I am at present sitting on the fence but others have already purchased. If I was in their position and being told to adjust my approach and accept a drama I would be even angrier.

The fans are not fools and they deserve to be treated with respect. What they have been subjected to is known as "mushrooming" in the UK. That isn't good business practice and it certainly isn't good communication.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    Jazzy6897Jazzy6897 Posts: 337 Member
    I don't find them being silent. The gurus have been here answering questions and asking for feedback on the game. Seeing how disappointed most of their fans are now, they're probably working instead of trying to talk. Probably working on the first expansion. And as someone said in this thread, the first expansion will either make it or break it, so most of their attention needs to be on improving this game so it will make it.
    Origin ID: Jazzy6897 Happy Simming! :)
  • Options
    Allspice1232Allspice1232 Posts: 3,234 Member
    edited September 2014

::shudders:: That makes me think of what Capcom did to Breath of Fire. I hate it when companies do that.

It was Grant, not Graham. Just sayin'.
    34336_s.gif
  • Options
    Hello @Cinebar sorry I wasn't here earlier. I was unaware of the article when I joined this thread. I will go read but it's existence makes me really cross with EA. And it all comes back to communication.

As a player of a life simulation game I would reasonably expect the next iteration in the series to be a life simulation game. If it wasn't then I would expect to be told beforehand.

I would not expect to be asked to figure out the change for myself or to adjust my approach to the game.

I am at present sitting on the fence but others have already purchased. If I was in their position and being told to adjust my approach and accept a drama I would be even angrier.

The fans are not fools and they deserve to be treated with respect. What they have been subjected to is known as "mushrooming" in the UK. That isn't good business practice and it certainly isn't good communication.

I can tell EA tried to hide this Game until release. No Gaming Magazine were any pre copys given. So the Gaming Magazines could only make Reviews after the launch of the Game. And this was the first Time EA have done this. Every new Sims release got Reviews before their release. So i supect they know that many Fans would be angry about....
  • Options
    edited September 2014

::shudders:: That makes me think of what Capcom did to Breath of Fire. I hate it when companies do that.

It was Grant, not Graham. Just sayin'.

Yeah sorry Grant and thanks for corrections lol
  • Options
    Taranatar9Taranatar9 Posts: 1,062 Member
    EA DOES have other games to take care of...Sims isn't their only game,you know. EA needs to take care of games like Wing Commander....

What the hell? Did I somehow travel back in time to the 90s?
  • Options
    TheSimDionTheSimDion Posts: 234 Member
    If the Sims 4 doesn't bring in a lot of money for EA and Maxis then don't expect Sims 5 to be any better. They need money to develop a good game or else the game is just going to suck. Giving us sneak peaks will get people hyped up which will mean people will be looking forward to something which means that they won't lose fans. Just because the Gurus answer questions does not mean EA isn't being silent either. I also know that EA had to know some people would not be satisfied with this game because they didn't let anyone do reviews for it. That is something that I depend on when buying a game. I am not satisfied with The Sims 4, but overall for me it is a good game i guess. It does need more content though.
  • Options
    TheSimDion wrote: »
    If the Sims 4 doesn't bring in a lot of money for EA and Maxis then don't expect Sims 5 to be any better. They need money to develop a good game or else the game is just going to suck. Giving us sneak peaks will get people hyped up which will mean people will be looking forward to something which means that they won't lose fans. Just because the Gurus answer questions does not mean EA isn't being silent either. I also know that EA had to know some people would not be satisfied with this game because they didn't let anyone do reviews for it. That is something that I depend on when buying a game. I am not satisfied with The Sims 4, but overall for me it is a good game i guess. It does need more content though.

I said so before ? But well it has Potential but lacks exactly my Contents what i need to play my playstyle.