Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

OPTIONS, EA! Give us OPTIONS!

Comments

• Options
    InannaWintermoonInannaWintermoon Posts: 3,400 Member
    edited September 2014
    Anavastia wrote: »
    kirby356 wrote: »
    Simulator4 wrote: »
    > @Anavastia said:<br />
    > Yes Maxis stick to making simulators. Sims come from the word simulation. Life Simulator. Where in there are you getting rpg. Stick to your genre and make the game a simulator!<br />
    It is a simulator.
    It is, but it isn't a simulator compared to TS2 or even TS3. There was much more freedom to do whatever you, the player, wanted to do. Now it's more goal/objective driven gameplay, and that just defeats the purpose of a sandbox style life simulation.

It isn't a simulator at all. It doesn't even function in the genre of a simulator.

Definition of a Simulation game.

A simulation game attempts to copy various activities from "real life" in the form of a game for various purposes such as training, analysis, or prediction. Usually there are no strictly defined goals in the game, with players instead allowed to freely control a character.

The sims 3 treaded a fine line of simulation play but it never went over the top like sim 4. Sims 4 stepped out of the genre now. It went way out the genre and any simulation that is left from the massive cuts to the game was not advanced, or lacks in every way.

TS4 is not a sandbox and is more RPG then simulator. This is why I refuse to purchase it. I am not comparing it solely to TS3, I am comparing it to TS1, TS2 & TS3. I expected progress. I do not see TS4 as progress when 1 step forward and 10 steps back.

*PS* I hate the RPG/Facebook elements. I mentioned I hate Facebook games right? :|
    It's quite drop from the top, so how ya feeling down there?
  • Options
    AnavastiaAnavastia Posts: 6,515 Member
    edited September 2014
    Zolt65 wrote: »
    Trick wrote: »

So, in your no-goals little sandbox, how do you judge if the wedding was a success? And what's stopping you from doing that now?

No need for sarcastic and snide replies. And because YOU may not enjoy the 14 year sandbox style of The Sims, does not mean others have to as well. The open style game with player imagination has worked great so far, why is EA messing with a winning formula now?

In a sand box game the wedding is a success when you get married. Duh.

Lol which is why i said combining to genres that are complete and polar opposites of each other is a no no. Rpg attracts players that generally don't like the genre of simulation and sandbox but do like rpg play. You can't have both they don't work together one must cancel the other. Somewhat like the reason why you see the constant fighting in this forum. One group tries to cancel the other, not understanding why the other group is angry. Technically there are a lot of mmo's out there and rpg's but there is only one life simulator and it should stay in it's genre. So now you got a flip. A certain percent don't like sims 4 because it's not simulation sandbox. A certain percent like the rpg goal play. Where does that leave the fanbase. Duking it out in the forums but in truth if EA wanted the money back for the simulator players guess what they'll focus on simulation play and less on rpg. It's how it goes. You can't do both and it's clear with the drop in sales you can't do both.

Simply put EA if they were focusing on the simulation part of the weddings the success and fail should be the wedding it self. making sure you have your venue, the money to hirer caterer, guest lists, groomsmen, brides maids, flower girl, ring boy, decorations, invitations out, band etc. The success of your day is if the groom or bride shows up they get cold feet or reject you at the alter. Well too bad it happens that's why it simulates life. There is a lot of fun to be had from that, cutting the cake, the first dance as a married couple, toasting, group dancing, etc. Where in that do you need rpg to tell you how to play. You don't and you never did. That is where it creates more freedom to play not less.

You the player judge if the wedding is good. Maybe you like the wedding to go smoothly and more cute and romantic your choice. Maybe you the player want it to be a disaster your choice. That's the whole point of playing simulation sandbox you are the person who chooses how you play not the dev's. As Pguida nicely put it how does having 3 drinks on your wedding dictate it was a success and why should you have to do it to have a good rated wedding. You shouldn't.
  • Options
    TrickTrick Posts: 1,538 Member
    pguida wrote: »
    Making my sim happy and fufilled without stupid restrictions.

Pretending in my head only my sim is happy and fufilled while he isn't in actual game, not the same.

Your sim will be happy and fulfilled at the end of your wedding if you ignore the goals we have now and just do your own thing, the same as if you complete the optional goals. You get the same "Just Married" positive moodlet regardless of whether you complete the optional goals or not.

All I can figure is that you're not really looking for a sandbox, but want something goal-oriented ... just with different goals than the ones we have now. Maybe easier ones? I'm really not sure.
    banner-onlysims-800x140-1.png
    Because Geeks Really Do Have More Fun
  • Options
    Kamb64Kamb64 Posts: 2,546 Member
    Well this thread got sidetracked... >:)
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    god sorry i keep doing that i really have to get used to this forum
  • Options
    psychotrip1psychotrip1 Posts: 237 Member
    mulboro wrote: »
    The goals are things you'd be doing anyway. If you don't want to do them, ignore them. You aren't forced to do anything - sounds like a sandbox to me.

Not quite accurate. Let me give an example.

Take your schoolkids, in Sims2 and 3 they started as C grade students. If they went to school and did their homework, the grades would go up.
    In Sims4, the kids go to school, do their homework...but...to get ahead they have to be X level in 2 skills, have to go to school in X mood.

So no, if I want to ignore the EA mandated way of playing (to get better grades in school) I will not have my kids get ahead.
    I AM being forced...I cannot ignore it if I want the game to unfold as I want to. And here's another reason...my sim child loses all their skill levels when they age up. So what is the purpose being level X as a child to get a better grade if they just disappear when they become teens???

"The goals are things you'd be doing anyway."
    = not true, if I wanted my kids to play on the computer, but they need X skill to get ahead, then I HAVE to play EA's way

" If you don't want to do them, ignore them."
    = again, I could ignore them, but my sims would remain C students

" You aren't forced to do anything - sounds like a sandbox to me"
    = yes you ARE forced to play EA's way and NOT your way...does not sound like a sandbox to me

This is the truth in a nutshell. I don't see any way you can argue against this.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/12696591/#Comment_12696591
    As I've posted elsewhere - any feedback both negative (how else is the team going to know what you don't like?!) and positive are welcome - just no fights/flames/trolls and you're good :) thanks.

• Options
    CapraCorn104CapraCorn104 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Kamb64 wrote: »
    Well this thread got sidetracked... >:)
    What did you expect?

What I don't understand that the people calling The Sims a sandbox game have also in the called it a simulator. While similar there're two different types of game genres.
  • Options
    CapraCorn104CapraCorn104 Posts: 1,184 Member
    The goals are things you'd be doing anyway. If you don't want to do them, ignore them. You aren't forced to do anything - sounds like a sandbox to me.

Take your schoolkids, in Sims2 and 3 they started as C grade students. If they went to school and did their homework, the grades would go up.
    In Sims4, the kids go to school, do their homework...but...to get ahead they have to be X level in 2 skills, have to go to school in X mood.

So no, if I want to ignore the EA mandated way of playing (to get better grades in school) I will not have my kids get ahead.
    I AM being forced...I cannot ignore it if I want the game to unfold as I want to. And here's another reason...my sim child loses all their skill levels when they age up. So what is the purpose being level X as a child to get a better grade if they just disappear when they become teens???

= not true, if I wanted my kids to play on the computer, but they need X skill to get ahead, then I HAVE to play EA's way

= yes you ARE forced to play EA's way and NOT your way...does not sound like a sandbox to me

This is the truth in a nutshell. I don't see any way you can argue against this.
    He's right, it isn't a sandbox because you have goal restricting you, even though they can be ignored for the most part.
    If you go by definition it would fit better under simulation.
  • Options

Yes, its no longer a sandbox..its just no longer fun :s
  • Options
    psychotrip1psychotrip1 Posts: 237 Member
    How is having to have three drinks for your sims to enjoy their wedding a sandbox improvement?

Because nothing bad happens if you don't drink them, so you're free to sandbox away -- but if you're into having goals, you have some.

Except the wedding not being enjoyable for my sims?

That might be a problem if it worked that way, but it doesn't. The wedding can still be enjoyable if you ignore the goals.

Not true.

I much prefer when weddings could be a sucess if I managed to en tertain my guests, with no stipulations on how.

So, in your no-goals little sandbox, how do you judge if the wedding was a success? And what's stopping you from doing that now?

The point isn't having absolutely no goals or any objectives, but finding a proper balance that gives it structure without sacrificing your ability to tell your own stories the way you want. We're arguing that Sims 4 has thrown off this balance moreso than its predecessors.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/12696591/#Comment_12696591
    As I've posted elsewhere - any feedback both negative (how else is the team going to know what you don't like?!) and positive are welcome - just no fights/flames/trolls and you're good :) thanks.

• Options

He's right, it isn't a sandbox because you have goal restricting you, even though they can be ignored for the most part.
    If you go by definition it would fit better under simulation.

No it doesn't because simulator says there isn't goal oriented play. sims i s a simulator/sandbox game. Meaning it's both genres. Which is why sims 4 is not a simulator or sandbox. Simulator doesn't just mean creating play simular to life the game object is different than an rpg. Which is what sims 4 would fall under role play not simulator or sandbox.
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member

Yes!!!! This is exactly what I mean. In order to do well in game by having my children do well in school (lets face it you aim high for children!) you have to go through numerous hoops to get there. Not only homework, but going to school in a certain mood etc etc. It does force you to play EAs way. Theres no way I can turn off these ridiculous directions and play my own way. Stop telling me it doesnt matter if its successful. Of course it is. In sims 2 the rewards were from general tasks which at least allowed you some sort of freedom. 4 is dictating to me.

• Options
    natashifiednatashified Posts: 3,314 Member
    bamcam30 wrote: »
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Anavastia wrote: »
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    We have always had the goals and challenges - even in the Original Sims game - Sims 1 especially in Magic Town and getting all the magic coins and ingredients. So this is no different. If anything Sims 3 went a bit overboard with all the tombs and then again with Showtime, but I actually had fun with them. No where has it ever been required. Though - you can simply ignor them if you want to. But I liked getting the stuff. Although i choose to ignor the Showtime things because I don't like simporting and all that crap it was a bad system. To me i just choose to do without all the free stage stuff.

But every sim game if you do challenges you get stuff. Sims 1 Vacation had them as did Sims 2 Bon voyage. They were in Sims 1 Unleashed and almost all parties of any kind had them. It is just part of what has always been in the sims. Maybe you just never noticed or something. But my favorite ones were in Making Magic in the first Sims games - as those were all fun and got you magic stuff. I liked the mushroom game and the gravestone game a lot. In the Vacation from sims one I liked using the the medal detector and finding stuff. I also loved all the ones in Bon Voyage when the game would work for me. Finding the maps and doing all the stuff.... it was fun. Loosen up or just don't do any.

We have not and you fully well know that. The sims one's magic town is not goal oriented not one bit and you know better than to do that. First of all anyone knowing the game and or having it knows that magic town does not have an quests play. It has a barter system of which y ou trade or do a task in the format of a mini game to get the item. That is a mini game of which you fail or succeed of which you don't get the item. That is not linear and no that is not quest oriented. It does not say do this amount of blah blah blah to get blah blah blah. You have to beat the mini game to get the item. Barter systems are apart of simulation play point blank.

So let's clarify that now. It amazes me that someone who doesn't know about anything other than sims play want's to give feedback on play that they know nothing about. In sims 1 you shop for ingredients. you exchange coin for item that is not quest oriented rpg play. Also the magic coin there is not do this amount of quests and gain the coin as a reward. Simply put you can earn coins doing various mini game play and interactions all of which have no goal or directed play.

Simply put the idea of you do things to get things is not goal oriented play or rpg element play. If im a farmer i grow a crop to get apples that's not goal oriented play at all it's simulator play.

However if a quest pops up grow 5 apples to get this rewards system that is rpg play. Its incorporated all through sims 4 you cannot get away from it, the part that suppose to be simulator after 10 years hasn't even advanced not one bit beyond sims 2. It's the same exact play only it's becoming less and less to accommodate the second playstyle that doesn't belong, that is the rpg play.

BULL!!!!!

That's a very brief response compared to your usually overdrawn ones

Thats a little rude response compared to your usual giffey ones :wink: (jkjk)

• Options

Yes!!!! This is exactly what I mean. In order to do well in game by having my children do well in school (lets face it you aim high for children!) you have to go through numerous hoops to get there. Not only homework, but going to school in a certain mood etc etc. It does force you to play EAs way. Theres no way I can turn off these ridiculous directions and play my own way. Stop telling me it doesnt matter if its successful. Of course it is. In sims 2 the rewards were from general tasks which at least allowed you some sort of freedom. 4 is dictating to me.

I agree with you 100% ...why are so few understanding this?
  • Options
    natashifiednatashified Posts: 3,314 Member

I agree to a extant, but IF you were not successful in school by fulfilling those things, your child would be with the social workers.
  • Options
    SimsProductionsSimsProductions Posts: 432 Member
    OP has a serious GIF addiction.
  • Options
    konfusedwithakkonfusedwithak Posts: 79 Member
    Everyone plays in their own ways. I like to build, but I'm not much into the story telling aspect of the game, so I like having a game that is a little more goal oriented.
  • Options
    ShanmarieShanmarie Posts: 1,236 Member
    Oh my goodness. Here we go again.

I actually hate how you guys jump to this as soon as somebody posts something negative about TS4,you don't see us commenting "Oh my goodness. Here we go again" When one of you posts how much you're loving the game,let people share their honest opinions because it seems more than one person has the same one.
  • Options
    kirby356kirby356 Posts: 4,607 Member
    A common complaint with TS3 was that it was too easy, so they made TS4 harder. A true sandbox has no challenge, it's just you doing whatever you want with no restrictions at all. TS3 was the most sandbox like title of the series because it was so easy. If anything, TS4 is a step back to what the sims was before: a simulation rather than a sandbox.
    TS1 was extremely challenging. And TS2 is also challeging, especially with large families, and both of those games had barely any RPG elements, and stayed true to the sandbox style gameplay. TS3 drifted off a little bit with World Adventures, as well as the forced scolding of kids, curfew, etc. But with TS4 everything is goal-oriented. You have to do this, to unlock that. Now the only way to get better grades in school, is to complete these redundant goals that I don't want to do. And if I don't do them, my sims grades don't go up. Same with job promotions, dates, weddings, or any social event. Completely defeats the purpose of sandbox style.
  • Options

I agree to a extant, but IF you were not successful in school by fulfilling those things, your child would be with the social workers.

I don't get your point. I don't see why to be able for my kids to have As they have to go to school in a certain mood, and numerous other tasks. Yes do homework and be in a good mood like the other games but all these extra tasks that I struggle to fit in. My kids don't get to play enough! I'm a player who always likes to skill up my kids and have them do well in school but this game makes it really soul destroyingly tedious-in the other games I liked the freedom to have them skill up according to their interests, get the homework done etc and kids lose the skills once they age up in this title anyway so all the extra stress you go through to get them there is lost.
  • Options
    Shanmarie wrote: »
    Oh my goodness. Here we go again.

I actually hate how you guys jump to this as soon as somebody posts something negative about TS4,you don't see us commenting "Oh my goodness. Here we go again" When one of you posts how much you're loving the game,let people share their honest opinions because it seems more than one person has the same one.

Yes, it doesn't reflect well on the inclusiveness of this forum. We are all sims title fans, just because some of us has issues it doesn't diminish that.
  • Options
    ShanmarieShanmarie Posts: 1,236 Member
    A common complaint with TS3 was that it was too easy, so they made TS4 harder. A true sandbox has no challenge, it's just you doing whatever you want with no restrictions at all. TS3 was the most sandbox like title of the series because it was so easy. If anything, TS4 is a step back to what the sims was before: a simulation rather than a sandbox.
    TS1 was extremely challenging. And TS2 is also challeging, especially with large families, and both of those games had barely any RPG elements, and stayed true to the sandbox style gameplay. TS3 drifted off a little bit with World Adventures, as well as the forced scolding of kids, curfew, etc. But with TS4 everything is goal-oriented. You have to do this, to unlock that. Now the only way to get better grades in school, is to complete these redundant goals that I don't want to do. And if I don't do them, my sims grades don't go up. Same with job promotions, dates, weddings, or any social event. Completely defeats the purpose of sandbox style.

Yeah that really irritates me,it's like I don't want my children to have skills in ALL 4 skill types,maybe I want a super creative kid who paints all day? What if I don't want to send them outside to play on the monkey bars? Hmm EA?! What if I don't want to eat cake at my party and have 3 other sims do it at the same time? Why do I care if 2 sims are flirty at the same time,what if I don't want them to be in a flirty situation?

*Sigh*
  • Options
    kirby356kirby356 Posts: 4,607 Member
    OP has a serious GIF addiction.
    don_t_judge_me__okay_gif.gif

• Options
    ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    edited September 2014

This is kind of an interesting problem when you think about it. The student/grade thing, at least, is not really something that can be made optional, in one sense, because if it can be simply turned off then why bother turning it on at all. Wonder if they could do something like action games do, though--in an action game, you can usually choose easy, normal, hardcore/veteran, and sometimes insane. I wonder how hard it would be to convert that to the Sims where at the beginning of each save, you choose if you want no goals, some goals, lots of goals and then go from there. That way people who want no rpg elements whatsoever can have them all the way through the people who want goals to direct their game play. Even better if they can make it so you can change your mind in the middle of the game and switch to a different mode, as desired.

ETA: typo
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • Options
    Shanmarie wrote: »

Yeah that really irritates me,it's like I don't want my children to have skills in ALL 4 skill types,maybe I want a super creative kid who paints all day? What if I don't want to send them outside to play on the monkey bars? Hmm EA?! What if I don't want to eat cake at my party and have 3 other sims do it at the same time? Why do I care if 2 sims are flirty at the same time,what if I don't want them to be in a flirty situation?

*Sigh*

Yes!!! I don't care what it's technically called as a game. I just mourn the freedoms of the past games, I don't like being forced into a checklist style play in my game.