Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Vgchartz totals for USA and Global

Comments

• Options
    marioXtremomarioXtremo Posts: 1,773 Member
    Worldwide, it sold 408,150 copies... not bad for all the bad press... and it's #1 and it beats the rest of the games by A LOT! :D
  • Options
    JoeWow1003JoeWow1003 Posts: 4,121 Member
    Kittenkiss wrote: »
    As long as the way they count sales is consistent between all of the games, it's still a valuable set of data, because it shows sales relative to other games.

That's a good idea. I just checked out their Sims 3 sales figures for the first week...327k copies sold. Although apparently that was only 4 days after release also so let's look at the end of week 2...490k copies sold after 11 days according to this site. This proves this site is highly inaccurate because we know for a fact Sims 3 sold 1.4 million copies in its first week.
  • Options
    gayarsgayars Posts: 2,229 Member
    Yeah but wasn't it the only game releasing that week? And the only pc game?
  • Options
    RinilexRinilex Posts: 3,048 Member
    I just want to know how many returns they got.
  • Options
    gmgargmgar Posts: 2,064 Member
    gayars wrote: »
    I don't know @gmgar I would love to see the REAL sales totals! I think they must have been okay tho, because the gurus disappeared from the ask a guru thread lol.

Lol, yes damage control is over now.

The totals speak for themselves...no one is clinging to false hope.

EA messed up. I am still shocked by this...also embarrassed for them.

I wanted this game to be great, but it is what it is.

Sales totals tell the truth...no matter how someone wants to spin this truth.
  • Options
    daltondougdaltondoug Posts: 618 Member
    JoeWow1003 wrote: »
    As long as the way they count sales is consistent between all of the games, it's still a valuable set of data, because it shows sales relative to other games.

That's a good idea. I just checked out their Sims 3 sales figures for the first week...327k copies sold. Although apparently that was only 4 days after release also so let's look at the end of week 2...490k copies sold after 11 days according to this site. This proves this site is highly inaccurate because we know for a fact Sims 3 sold 1.4 million copies in its first week.

but it's still relevant data altogether. If they do count only physical sales, that could even mean 4 did better than 3.
  • Options
    ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    [
    daltondoug wrote: »
    ebuchala, the problem is that, even if this website is wrong by a little amount, it'll still be bad if compared to the predecessors.
    Again, I guess I'm not understanding or maybe my math is rusty. TS2 sold 1 million units over the course of 10 days which TS4 is currently on track to do especially since it's not likely vgchartz includes digital sales and we haven't seen sales numbers from Japan yet.

While I get that it's not likely to match TS3's first week of sales (though that's not a given, either, depending on how well digital sales went), I'm not getting that it won't match TS2's 10 day sales.
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • Options
    gmgar wrote: »
    I don't know @gmgar I would love to see the REAL sales totals! I think they must have been okay tho, because the gurus disappeared from the ask a guru thread lol.

There is no truth to this site. I just proved how inaccurate this site is, by a factor of 3 apparently.
  • Options
    RinilexRinilex Posts: 3,048 Member
    gmgar wrote: »

I was wondering where they were today... was there no explanation?
  • Options
    KittenkissKittenkiss Posts: 1,047 Member
    Worldwide, it sold 408,150 copies... not bad for all the bad press... and it's #1 and it beats the rest of the games by A LOT! :D

Be careful, those are counting pre-orders. You'll need to wait a few weeks to get a better idea.
  • Options

but it's still relevant data altogether. If they do count only physical sales, that could even mean 4 did better than 3.

Going by this site's methodology apparently Sims 4 actually did a lot better than Sims 3 if they don't include digital copies.

I wouldn't put much faith in this site at all now though. I mean they weren't even in the ballpark when it came to Sims 3 figures.
  • Options
    EasyToReadEasyToRead Posts: 7,813 Member
    EasyToRead wrote: »
    EasyToRead wrote: »
    yep, officially a flop /o/
    The way Vgchartz count sales seem a bit questionable so there's is nothing official about this.....

I don't know. Even if you think they are a little off - like 300 thousand off. It would still be like 600 thousand sales.
    And what if they are off by a lot.........

well, if they don't include digital sales, they probably are. Most people use digital distributing services. I was off thinking it included everything, before stating that.
    Yeah you jumped the gun a bit when you said officially a flop. The same for the rest of you people who said that....
    hEFcp6z.gif
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited September 2014

And I think it is quite fair to assume that digital sales have become far more "the norm" today then they were 5 years ago.

I know that I, for one, NEVER would buy digital 5 years ago. I hated the entire concept. I absolutely needed a disc copy.

Fast forward to today and I NEVER buy physical. If a game isn't available on either Steam or Origin, I won't buy it. Incidentally, The Sims series is largely responsible for my change of heart on the issue. Ran out of room for all of the discs... (That and I became environmentally conscious)

This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options

How do you know it sold 1.4 mil? Self reported data? Or independent analysis?
  • Options
    marioXtremomarioXtremo Posts: 1,773 Member
    edited September 2014

Be careful, those are counting pre-orders. You'll need to wait a few weeks to get a better idea.

I pre-ordered my game and trust me... I got it the day it came out... Isn't that what you are supposed to do when you're so hyped about a game? :P

Besides, I constantly look at VGChartz and so that happens with all games then, so...
  • Options
    ebuchala wrote: »
    [
    ebuchala, the problem is that, even if this website is wrong by a little amount, it'll still be bad if compared to the predecessors.
    Again, I guess I'm not understanding or maybe my math is rusty. TS2 sold 1 million units over the course of 10 days which TS4 is currently on track to do especially since it's not likely vgchartz includes digital sales and we haven't seen sales numbers from Japan yet.

While I get that it's not likely to match TS3's first week of sales (though that's not a given, either, depending on how well digital sales went), I'm not getting that it won't match TS2's 10 day sales.

it's like I said - if you counted only physical sales, it's a very good number. Otherwise they would've lost a fair share of customers
  • Options
    Stormkeep wrote: »

And I think it is quite fair to assume that digital sales have become far more "the norm" today then they were 5 years ago.

I know that I, for one, NEVER would buy digital 5 years ago. I hated the entire concept. I absolutely needed a disc copy.

Fast forward to today and I NEVER bu physical. If a game isn't available on either Steam or Origin, I won't buy it. Incidentally, The Sims series is largely responsible for my change of heart on the issue. Ran out of room for all of the discs... (That and I became environmentally conscious)

Pretty much the same for me. I don't think I bought any digital games 5 years ago. Now I can't remember the last time I bought a physical copy of a game...one of the earlier WoW expansion packs I'm sure.
  • Options
    Actually I don't think, like I have said before, we will really know how well this game is going to do until we see how the expansion packs do in sales. If they bring back, say, toddlers and pools for instance, fairly quickly, the game is probably going to do okay. If not, and the expansion packs are relatively empty without adding much content back in, they won't do well.
  • Options

How do you know it sold 1.4 mil? Self reported data? Or independent analysis?

EA said that's how many copies of Sims 3 sold in the first week. I guess it's possible EA lied but that seems highly unlikely.
  • Options
    ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    [
    [

it's like I said - if you counted only physical sales, it's a very good number. Otherwise they would've lost a fair share of customers

I saw your later posts. :)
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • Options
    Zolt65Zolt65 Posts: 8,272 Member

That is not totally accurate. You are going by the quote of 100k over the first 4 days.
    Sales 'could' have stayed the same, increased, or dropped based on the reviews.
    The true totals will be when EA announces the first weeks sales.

Which is odd they have not released those numbers since the game has been out for two weeks now in the US/Canada and 10 days in the rest of the world.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    @Zolt65 Perhaps no matter how many copies it sold, there is still the problem of knowing what it did compared to some internal number EA wanted sold?
  • Options
    CapraCorn104CapraCorn104 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Okay, so there's some things wrong with this.
    1. It only counts 4 days of it being released, not even a full week. For four days and it sold 0.41, I'd say that's decent
    2. Doesn't count digital copies
    3. That site is always inaccurate.
    I think it'd be best to wait a couple more weeks before we see how much it truly sold.
  • Options
    Zolt65 wrote: »

That is not totally accurate. You are going by the quote of 100k over the first 4 days.
    Sales 'could' have stayed the same, increased, or dropped based on the reviews.
    The true totals will be when EA announces the first weeks sales.

Which is odd they have not released those numbers since the game has been out for two weeks now in the US/Canada and 10 days in the rest of the world.

But I really don't know what to expect from E.A anymore. My sensation is that they don't really care much for the sims series. Their whole P.R for the game was a nightmare.
  • Options

I pre-ordered my game and trust me... I got it the day it came out... Isn't that what you are supposed to do when you're so hyped about a game? :P

Yes, that's what I'm saying. The 400k includes the delivery of pre-order sales, yes? So Pre-order sales minus actual sales equal the actual sales rate for the week. Leading up to release, Sims 4 was getting a few thousand pre-orders per week.