Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Vgchartz totals for USA and Global

gayarsgayars Posts: 2,229 Member
Sims 4 is top seller for week ending Sept. 6. The grand total for USA only for 4 days? 179,368.

Global is 408,150
Post edited by gayars on

Comments

• Options
    colton147colton147 Posts: 9,663 Member
    4ca.png
  • Options
    daltondougdaltondoug Posts: 618 Member
    seems good so far.
  • Options
    camman1995camman1995 Posts: 900 Member
    My immediate thought was "WHAT THE WHAT IT BEAT DESTINY?!", but then I took note of what week you were referring too.

Fascinating fact nonetheless.
  • Options
    ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    They don't have the global charts up yet for that week but when you total US and Europe (which I assume includes UK, France and Germany even though they have them also listed separately), the sales total was 340,952.

Will be interesting to see the global charts when they're finally up. Also, the totals for the month. TS3 did great the first week but still sold fewer copies overall than TS2. Hopefully TS4's sales will be steady for awhile to come.
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • Options
    Zolt65Zolt65 Posts: 8,272 Member
    from wiki:

The Sims 2 was a commercial success, selling one million copies in its first ten days

The Sims 3 was a commercial success, selling 1.4 million copies in its first week.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    and then there are the sales which aren't computed in the chart, too. Seems like it'll do poorly compared to sims 3, but still good
  • Options
    gmgargmgar Posts: 2,064 Member
    edited September 2014
    Is that units sold?

Edit: To add I can not believe that is the right total. I am shocked.
  • Options
    I am with @ebuchala I want to see the results globally, and after a month or so, to see where we are really at.
  • Options
    EasyToReadEasyToRead Posts: 7,813 Member
    Zolt65 wrote: »
    from wiki:

The Sims 2 was a commercial success, selling one million copies in its first ten days

The Sims 3 was a commercial success, selling 1.4 million copies in its first week.
    That's from worldwide I assume? This is from the USA only so I bit hard to compare but I do predict a decline in overall sales....
    hEFcp6z.gif
  • Options
    mesmerizedishmesmerizedish Posts: 51 Member
    VGChartz probably only counts physical sales. How many of you bought straight from Origin instead of buying a disc? I know I did.
  • Options
    worldwide I suspect

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    from wiki:

I am shocked...this is so low compared to these totals.

• Options
    gayars wrote: »
    Sims 4 is top seller for week ending Sept. 6. The grand total for USA only for 4 days? 179,368.
    gmgar wrote: »
    from wiki:

It's from U.S only. The numbers on wikipedia are probably worldwide, and released from E.A
  • Options
    Is that units sold?

My understanding is that it's units sold but I'm not clear if it includes digital copies. Previous information about that site seemed to indicate they don't have access to digital sales info but I'm just not sure.

I also just realized that @gayars pointed out that's for 4 days so it will be interesting to see those totals for the week, as well. They could be getting pretty close to 1 mil by the end of the week, globally, though I'm sticking with my original guesses of 700,000 to 800,000. It might actually match TS2's 10 day sales numbers, though, which is nice.
  • Options
    VGChartz probably only counts physical sales. How many of you bought straight from Origin instead of buying a disc? I know I did.
    Really?! Now it's making some sense. No wonder it seems so low.....
    hEFcp6z.gif
  • Options
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/the-sims-2-sells-a-million-smashes-ea-records

The hugely anticipated sequel to the biggest selling PC game of all time, The Sims 2,
    has made its mark as Electronic Arts' biggest ever PC launch, selling through a million units worldwide in just ten days.

Over 50 per cent of those units were sold in Europe, where the game went straight in at number one in the UK,
    and sales of the game were strong across almost every territory in the world.

----

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/31194133/ns/technology_and_science-games/t/sims-sells-million-copies-first-week/

Electronic Arts says that 1.4 million copies of "The Sims 3" were sold the first week,
    making it the best-selling PC game launch in the company's history.

Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,629 Member
    edited September 2014
    from wiki:

If they do count only physical sales as someone suggested above, then I would expect it to be low compared to physical sales in 2009 or 2004. I can't remember the last piece of software I bought a physical copy of, but I had almost all physical copies still in '09. And in '04 I'd have laughed silly at the idea of downloading something as big as Sims 2.

They post their methodology, but it does seem to favor physical sales: http://www.vgchartz.com/methodology.php
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    This can be considered a success if they retain 70% of their fanbase. E.A really screwed the game trying to make it online. Even avoiding a bullet is a good outcome in this kind of situation, I think. A pity it isn't the huge success we were all expecting, tough
  • Options
    It is too low, I think you two are right. There has to be a disconnect some where in that total.

Time will tell...I know that is too low for sales totals.
  • Options
    worldwide I suspect

It's for US sales only. If you read further, you'll see the totals I posted for US and Europe. Doesn't include Japan yet and no global numbers yet for that week. They're actually on track to come close to matching previous game totals for the franchise.
  • Options
    Asuka7794Asuka7794 Posts: 1,431 Member
    Flopping like a blubber filled whale.
  • Options
    ebuchala wrote: »
    worldwide I suspect

It's for US sales only. If you read further, you'll see the totals I posted for US and Europe. Doesn't include Japan yet and no global numbers yet for that week. They're actually on track to come close to matching previous game totals for the franchise.

I was answering EasytoRead's question: "That's from worldwide I assume?"

To which I answered "worldwide I suspect"

Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    What will REALLY be interesting is if the first expansion pack is a bust. We kind of expected the base game to sell well, but the first expansion pack will be the one that tells the tale I suspect.
  • Options
    It is too low, I think you two are right. There has to be a disconnect some where in that total.

Time will tell...I know that is too low for sales totals.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the numbers are still around the total listed here after everything is checked out. Again it's USA only.
    hEFcp6z.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    ebuchala wrote: »
    worldwide I suspect

I was answering EasytoRead's question: "That's from worldwide I assume?"

To which I answered "worldwide I suspect"
    That is why you quote people and/or tag them when you reply so it doesn't get confusing like this. I knew you were responding to me though.
    hEFcp6z.gif