Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I'm Sick of the "Trade Off" Excuse

Comments

• Options
    pguidapguida Posts: 7,481 Member
    edited September 2014
    There are two excuses I hate...

"But it's hard"!

No kidding. That's why it's done by paid professionals, who are supposed to have the skills, knowledge and experience to do it. It's like going to an oncologist to get treatment for Cancer and hear Cancer is too hard, he'll treat me for flu instead.

No one should say they won't do their jobs because it's "hard".

"Our engine currently doesn't support basements. Or in-the-ground pools. Or color customization. Or Story Progression. Or X. Or Y. Or Z"...

If the new engine, built from the ground up was meant to take the game to the next level cannot accommodate features that previous games in the series could, well, then you didn't really do a good job, did you? A new engine should be able to allow you to do more, not less.
  • Options
    Anavastia wrote: »
    To me the game is very rpg. I'm not sure very many people play outside games to know what simulation games feel like. I don't think i would define sims 4 as a simulation game when the main idea of the game is quest oriented.

I think Emotions were a good concept, however emotions that tie to quests is nothing but grinding. The emotions is something that's a given, but to have players do this and that and earn rewards for doing the quests is linear play. When sandbox play is suppose to be open.

So two genres this game is suppose to be exclusive to are just not there anymore. Yes while you take the time to do aspirations and fufill the life time goals of the game to earn more rewards, the play creates a feel once i've achieved everything im done.

Why well you brush through the linear content fairly easy and the game doesn't offer any improvements on the simulation level of play. That was where my problem with the game lies. The simulator and sandbox side of the game has't improved for the last 10 years. Not since sims 2. That's a problem. It means to me that either A Maxis who created the life simulator had too much turn over and the new staff doesn't understand the concept of simulator an why it's fun. B. These dev's don't actually play sims game and thought to enjoy it they needed to incorporate rpg elements. The problem is the game isn't for you to play it's for your fanbase to play. I talked about that with sims 3. That it's important that they stick with the genre of the game and not try to mix a variety so that the game remains interesting.

See i don't feel EA listens at all because many fans agreed with that. That the game should not be designed around rpg but should be where the player has the opportunity to set their own goals. Not play the way Maxis wants them to. That the game should advance enough that it feels like a new simulator not a new rpg. That is the main thing that turns me off about sims 4. Is that they took the same mess with sims 3, the same problems, the same play that players hated and amplified it. The sad thing was sims 3 was so terrible in it's function that people were so sick of it that they're more than ready to flee to a new game. It isn't going to be long before this same game shows up with the same problems if not worse. It's rushed, it's designed for maximum dlc to put into it, it lacks, the engine is limited on it once again, and it's too goal oriented.

I hate goals. I just ignore them completely and get mods that unlock all rewards.
  • Options
    Cyron43Cyron43 Posts: 8,055 Member
    Sc3niX wrote: »
    I keep on hearing how people had empty open worlds in TS3. That was not the case for me. I remember when my sim was playing for tips in front of the theater how many sims stood around him in a circle. Every community lot i went to was empty at first but not even a few sim minutes after that did sims start appearing.
    Yep I see other Sims even in the most remote places like fishing ponds somewhere at the edge of a world.

This space is for rent.
  • Options
    AnavastiaAnavastia Posts: 6,515 Member
    pguida wrote: »
    To me the game is very rpg. I'm not sure very many people play outside games to know what simulation games feel like. I don't think i would define sims 4 as a simulation game when the main idea of the game is quest oriented.

I think Emotions were a good concept, however emotions that tie to quests is nothing but grinding. The emotions is something that's a given, but to have players do this and that and earn rewards for doing the quests is linear play. When sandbox play is suppose to be open.

So two genres this game is suppose to be exclusive to are just not there anymore. Yes while you take the time to do aspirations and fufill the life time goals of the game to earn more rewards, the play creates a feel once i've achieved everything im done.

Why well you brush through the linear content fairly easy and the game doesn't offer any improvements on the simulation level of play. That was where my problem with the game lies. The simulator and sandbox side of the game has't improved for the last 10 years. Not since sims 2. That's a problem. It means to me that either A Maxis who created the life simulator had too much turn over and the new staff doesn't understand the concept of simulator an why it's fun. B. These dev's don't actually play sims game and thought to enjoy it they needed to incorporate rpg elements. The problem is the game isn't for you to play it's for your fanbase to play. I talked about that with sims 3. That it's important that they stick with the genre of the game and not try to mix a variety so that the game remains interesting.

See i don't feel EA listens at all because many fans agreed with that. That the game should not be designed around rpg but should be where the player has the opportunity to set their own goals. Not play the way Maxis wants them to. That the game should advance enough that it feels like a new simulator not a new rpg. That is the main thing that turns me off about sims 4. Is that they took the same mess with sims 3, the same problems, the same play that players hated and amplified it. The sad thing was sims 3 was so terrible in it's function that people were so sick of it that they're more than ready to flee to a new game. It isn't going to be long before this same game shows up with the same problems if not worse. It's rushed, it's designed for maximum dlc to put into it, it lacks, the engine is limited on it once again, and it's too goal oriented.

I hate goals. I just ignore them completely and get mods that unlock all rewards.

See to me a player should never had to have mods to do this in a sandbox simulation game. Yet here we are players having to by pass devs to get the game to function as it should for the genre.

In all honesty EA is better off making a team of players to help design the game rather than have their staff do it because two series in a row and they haven't gotten it right still.
  • Options
    Zolt65Zolt65 Posts: 8,272 Member
    Lynny posted this in another thread but it is applicable here:

ELEMENTARY SCHOOL:

To go from C to B
    Get 2 skills to level 4, attend school while focused.

To go from B to A:
    Get 4 skills to level 4, do extra credit 3 times.

HIGH SCHOOL

To go from C to B:
    Attend school while focused

To go from B to A:
    Do extra credit 3 times

So what used to be kids go off to school, do their homework and they get ahead. You play with your sim kids, you experience their lives has now turned into kids having to do quests! Just to get good grades they must jump through EA hoops. This, imho, is NOT the sandbox 'player driven' style of Sims play. Questing, not living, is the new Sims game. Sad EA has fallen so far from what has made the series great.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    See to me a player should never had to have mods to do this in a sandbox simulation game. Yet here we are players having to by pass devs to get the game to function as it should for the genre.

In all honesty EA is better off making a team of players to help design the game rather than have their staff do it because two series in a row and they haven't gotten it right still.

I'm enjoying TS4, but it does bug me and feels very wrong, from the get-go, that I need this many mods just to be able to adjust and even play the game at all.

TS2 and TS3 even more gave us in game options and in game a myriad of possibilities to allow us to mold and play the game however we wanted to (World Adventures and Ambitions aside).

I feel TS4 forces its hand a lot in trying to make me play the way someone at EA/Maxis thought it was best. Having to have x drinks at my own wedding or feel x emotion at x o'clock to get promoted or needing to have the exact x number of friends to get ahead in my career even if all these "friends" just happen to be my own children is not something I like.

For now, I just try and ignore it and I feel you can.

However, your point is not lost on me and I agree.
  • Options
    KramYraeloKramYraelo Posts: 734 Member
    Zolt65 wrote: »
    Hey only for Remembering the history of The Sims Franchise. Just think of the Development they had since The Sims release and what a impact it had with Sims 4. I really hoped that they try anything to top their predecessor

It's like sitting down after a long anticipated date has ended and have this feeling like it really wasn't what you had expected.
    Like a little let down, like the kisses weren't as good as hoped, that it just wasn't feeling right...

Or even worse, not getting invited in after saying goodnight and having to do the walk of shame back to your car :D
  • Options
    KrayzieStrykerKrayzieStryker Posts: 2,646 Member

I'm enjoying TS4, but it does bug me and feels very wrong, from the get-go, that I need this many mods just to be able to adjust and even play the game at all.

TS2 and TS3 even more gave us in game options and in game a myriad of options to allow us to mold and play the game however we wanted to (World Adventures and Ambitions aside).

I feel TS4 forces its hand a lot in trying to make me play the way someone at EA/Maxis thought it was best. Have to have x drinks at my own wedding or feel x emotion at x o'clock to get promoted or needing to have the exact x number of friends to get ahead in my career even if all these "friends" just happen to be my own children is not something I like.

For now, I just try and ignore it and I feel you can.

However, your point is not lost on me and I agree.

So true, why i need to do this if i am playing a life simulator, it is not a free playstyle for me.
  • Options
    MissTexasBMissTexasB Posts: 372 Member

I agree with a lot of this, but I dont understand the big fuss over teen height. I have a 19 year old son, a 17 and a 13 year old daughter. My son is a full foot taller than me, my 17 year old 2 inches taller and my 13 year old just hit my 5'4 height this year. It is not at ALL unrealistic to have them adult height... in fact, going to school functions, I would say it is unrealistic for them to be shorter....[/quote]

The teen height doesn't bother me. What bothers me more is the toddlers, the bugs, the facebook game feel, and the fact that the sims don't look to be any smarter then in previous installments. I haven't bought the game but judging from all the videos I've seen both EA's and regular sim players I see that sim's are not smart enough to stop what they are doing to take care of basic needs. The pee walk is apparently supposed to be very funny because they are doing it all the time. It sounds like the game is almost as buggy as TS3 too.

• Options

I feel TS4 forces its hand a lot in trying to make me play the way someone at EA/Maxis thought it was best. Have to have x drinks at my own wedding or feel x emotion at x o'clock to get promoted or needing to have the exact x number of friends to get ahead in my career even if all these "friends" just happen to be my own children is not something I like.

200.gif

grumpy sim player approves

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    KramYraelo wrote: »

Or even worse, not getting invited in after saying goodnight and having to do the walk of shame back to your car :D

Zolt wouldn't know about that.

>shifty eyes<

>:)

Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    KramYraelo wrote: »
    Hey only for Remembering the history of The Sims Franchise. Just think of the Development they had since The Sims release and what a impact it had with Sims 4. I really hoped that they try anything to top their predecessor

It's like sitting down after a long anticipated date has ended and have this feeling like it really wasn't what you had expected.
    Like a little let down, like the kisses weren't as good as hoped, that it just wasn't feeling right...

sorry misunderstood something again lol
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    MissTexasB wrote: »

I agree with a lot of this, but I dont understand the big fuss over teen height. I have a 19 year old son, a 17 and a 13 year old daughter. My son is a full foot taller than me, my 17 year old 2 inches taller and my 13 year old just hit my 5'4 height this year. It is not at ALL unrealistic to have them adult height... in fact, going to school functions, I would say it is unrealistic for them to be shorter....

The teen height doesn't bother me. What bothers me more is the toddlers, the bugs, the facebook game feel, and the fact that the sims don't look to be any smarter then in previous installments. I haven't bought the game but judging from all the videos I've seen both EA's and regular sim players I see that sim's are not smart enough to stop what they are doing to take care of basic needs. The pee walk is apparently supposed to be very funny because they are doing it all the time. It sounds like the game is almost as buggy as TS3 too.

The problem with teens is that for 2 and 3 teens have always been different;
    you could tell RIGHT AWAY who was a baby/child/teen/adult/elder
    No guessing.

Now you have to click on them, see what traits/look for romantic options.
    What the heck is that?

And as for real life, yes we all have teens taller than adults, but this isn't real life, this is a game.
    On a computer screen.
    We need to be able to quickly identify who are sims are.

The same animations you will notice in dancing.
    We used to have an adult dance style, a teen dance style, and a child dance style.
    No more. Its all the same dance moves.

No, for a game that claims to be an improvement, this is just lazy animators that made the same clothes & animations for teens/adults/elders
    They made the teens the same size because they were (a) rushed for time and (b) took the quick and easy way out

Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    AnavastiaAnavastia Posts: 6,515 Member
    MissTexasB wrote: »

I agree with a lot of this, but I dont understand the big fuss over teen height. I have a 19 year old son, a 17 and a 13 year old daughter. My son is a full foot taller than me, my 17 year old 2 inches taller and my 13 year old just hit my 5'4 height this year. It is not at ALL unrealistic to have them adult height... in fact, going to school functions, I would say it is unrealistic for them to be shorter....

[/quote]

Because height and characteristics of certain life stages create ambience. The choice of design helps the player to register better what this is. While i do understand you can have teens that look very grown in real life. The important factor is the sims still functions as a video game. So when im building the background of a sim character for the fanbase i need to consider perception. So teen height plays an important role to many because of that.

It's those little details that sims 4 lacks as well. I can go down a list of what may look like nit picking but it's actually pointing out that the game lacks ambience and depth. You see that in all areas, cooking, gardening, careers, emotions, family life. teens, life stages, etc. While it is a base game if a base game cannot accomodate depth to it's play you're going to find that the expansions cannot either. In fact what probably will happen is your going to get the same issues like with sims

Where features are constantly repeated over and over in the expansion. A look at that is with sims 3 we had a variety of plants but noticed all of them look the same even the banana trees. We had 4 different ways to have a pet, dogs, cats, werewolves, robots. We had so many items that do the same thing as the other that it's ridiculous but you have to understand why that happened. When the base game engine isn't as forgiving when you try to add in new content the game malfunctions. Sims 4 won't be any different unfortunately. That i think players make the mistake of seeing oh it's new it runs smoothly etc. It's suppose to run smoothly you haven't added any expansions yet, you haven't tried to add new content yet. Even for a base game for a simulation it took out content to try and stabilize it. I really feel bad for simmers who have hopes that things will come in expansions because i do think they're going to be further disappointed. When the base game is unforgiving it plagues the game as a whole, we learned that from sims 3.
  • Options
    Glic2003Glic2003 Posts: 2,933 Member
    .... When the base game engine isn't as forgiving when you try to add in new content the game malfunctions. Sims 4 won't be any different unfortunately. That i think players make the mistake of seeing oh it's new it runs smoothly etc. It's suppose to run smoothly you haven't added any expansions yet, you haven't tried to add new content yet. Even for a base game for a simulation it took out content to try and stabilize it. I really feel bad for simmers who have hopes that things will come in expansions because i do think they're going to be further disappointed. When the base game is unforgiving it plagues the game as a whole, we learned that from sims 3.

One thing I'd like to add, tangentially with respect to the above: If the base game seems unappealing, no amount of expansion packs will change that, in my opinion.

EPs will add more objects to interact with and a few new things to do, but they never change the overall "feel" of the game. The basic emotion-driven gameplay, for example, will never change, the multi-tasking will never fundamentally change, the open world or lack thereof will never change, and so on.

Be realistic about what the game can potentially evolve into, and you'll be more satisfied in the long run.
    simsig_willwright.gif

"We've been attributing the state of The Sims 4 to greed but I think it's time to give sheer incompetence another look."
    -Honeywell
  • Options
    Bagoas77 wrote: »
    Cyron43 wrote: »
    angie0o0 wrote: »
    Yurusumaji wrote: »
    Because if certain features required more resources, they should have HIRED MORE PEOPLE. Or better yet, they should have NOT laid off all those devs a while back.

You obviously do not understand how business works ...

Neither do you or EA.

You have a product generating billion of revenues, you invest to mantain quality.

Those who try to cheapen their product to make more money usually devalue the brand.

See how GM went bankrupt. See how the current's CEA, Mary Barra's, new motto is "no more crappy cars".

That's cute. You don't know how business works, either.

See, I took business. I do get it, I've had to live it, so I understand that you have about as much clue on what EA is doing with their money as I do. That's none. No clue. You're making blind assumptions because TS4 doesn't pander to your whims and you just need to cry it out.

And what are you crying about? TS4 panders to YOUR whims, therefore you come in here to 🐸🐸🐸🐸 and whine and moan because someone's dissin' yer fave game. 🐸🐸🐸🐸.

So much this!

Also EA is a terrible business that just seems to have a loyal fanbase. I've said it before, I have never ever seen customers take so much 🐸🐸🐸🐸 and still remain loyal to the franchise.

A good business listens to their customers feedback and improves on what is lacking, while perfecting what is good. That's what a good business is. EA use to be such a good business probably why their fans still remain so loyal cause they're hoping EA wakes up one day and decides to do something for their customers rather than thinking about the new sports car they want to buy.

Well same goes for blizzard, they're hated and I could care less. I prefer to stand by the franchise I love, its like anything, even movie franchises there will always be issues but I'll get over it. Like the karate kid for instance, I didn't like how Daniel acted or did things but I got over it and still loved the karate kid franchise.

Long story short if someone is gonna get mad and be a hater over a new game that has some issues that I'm sure will be addressed, then they need to reconsider the whole fan label. A real fan looks over minor issues and gives the game time to adjust, I mean the game just came out.
    1. You mistake hate with disappointment. I bet most of us don't hate Sims 4. We are disappointed about what Sims 4 has become and we try to change things for the better. That's why we are here and voice our concerns. If it were just to fill this forum with hate we all would be nothing but trolls. Do you think we are trolls?

2. If being a fan even implies self-denial (getting used to things missing and getting used to cartoony graphics) I would gladly announce I'm no fan anymore but luckily it's not that way. Being a fan does not mean to become a stup1d sheep. Being a fan means to tell EA what we think and if telling them our concerns makes you feel uncomfortable - well that's your problem.

Agreed. Unfortunately, I doubt that anybody of consequence from EA actually lowers themselves to read our disappointments and/or suggestions on the forum to make the game better. There's just this just this insect swarm of forum Gollums who will attack on sight and pooh, pooh suggestions.

Oh, rarely a guru will post a comment on somebody's thread (I have seen that once), but it's like seeing a meteor cross the sky... you have to be at the right place, at the right time. And it is barely worth pausing to lift your head and watch the celestial crossing, because you'll have to contend with the mosquito bites as punishment for lingering.
    We ARE heard, believe me. I am here since the release of Sims 1 and I know some examples.
    - Simmer wished we could swim in the ocean - we got the island paradise EP
    - Simmers wished for a future expansion - we got ITF
    - Of course Simmers also wanted pets - guess what
    - I love adventure games (like the Myst series) and so I once came up with the idea to have both The Sims and adventures mixed. I got much positive feedback from other Simmers for this. Tadaa we got the World Adventures EP. Well maybe I was just lucky but anyway.

This space is for rent.
  • Options
    CrackseedCrackseed Posts: 5,209 Member
    Because if certain features required more resources, they should have HIRED MORE PEOPLE. Or better yet, they should have NOT laid off all those devs a while back.

Neither do you or EA.

You have a product generating billion of revenues, you invest to mantain quality.

Those who try to cheapen their product to make more money usually devalue the brand.

See how GM went bankrupt. See how the current's CEA, Mary Barra's, new motto is "no more crappy cars".

See, I took business. I do get it, I've had to live it, so I understand that you have about as much clue on what EA is doing with their money as I do. That's none. No clue. You're making blind assumptions because TS4 doesn't pander to your whims and you just need to cry it out.

And what are you crying about? TS4 panders to YOUR whims, therefore you come in here to 🐸🐸🐸🐸 and whine and moan because someone's dissin' yer fave game. 🐸🐸🐸🐸.

So much this!

Also EA is a terrible business that just seems to have a loyal fanbase. I've said it before, I have never ever seen customers take so much 🐸🐸🐸🐸 and still remain loyal to the franchise.

A good business listens to their customers feedback and improves on what is lacking, while perfecting what is good. That's what a good business is. EA use to be such a good business probably why their fans still remain so loyal cause they're hoping EA wakes up one day and decides to do something for their customers rather than thinking about the new sports car they want to buy.

Well same goes for blizzard, they're hated and I could care less. I prefer to stand by the franchise I love, its like anything, even movie franchises there will always be issues but I'll get over it. Like the karate kid for instance, I didn't like how Daniel acted or did things but I got over it and still loved the karate kid franchise.

Long story short if someone is gonna get mad and be a hater over a new game that has some issues that I'm sure will be addressed, then they need to reconsider the whole fan label. A real fan looks over minor issues and gives the game time to adjust, I mean the game just came out.
    1. You mistake hate with disappointment. I bet most of us don't hate Sims 4. We are disappointed about what Sims 4 has become and we try to change things for the better. That's why we are here and voice our concerns. If it were just to fill this forum with hate we all would be nothing but trolls. Do you think we are trolls?

2. If being a fan even implies self-denial (getting used to things missing and getting used to cartoony graphics) I would gladly announce I'm no fan anymore but luckily it's not that way. Being a fan does not mean to become a stup1d sheep. Being a fan means to tell EA what we think and if telling them our concerns makes you feel uncomfortable - well that's your problem.

Agreed. Unfortunately, I doubt that anybody of consequence from EA actually lowers themselves to read our disappointments and/or suggestions on the forum to make the game better. There's just this just this insect swarm of forum Gollums who will attack on sight and pooh, pooh suggestions.

Oh, rarely a guru will post a comment on somebody's thread (I have seen that once), but it's like seeing a meteor cross the sky... you have to be at the right place, at the right time. And it is barely worth pausing to lift your head and watch the celestial crossing, because you'll have to contend with the mosquito bites as punishment for lingering.
    We ARE heard, believe me. I am here since the release of Sims 1 and I know some examples.
    - I love adventure games (like the Myst series) and so I once came up with the idea to have both The Sims and adventures mixed. I got much positive feedback from other Simmers for this. Tadaa we got the World Adventures EP. Well maybe I was just lucky but anyway.

Honestly, EA listens more than we tend to give them credit for but the problem is they seem to also be quite happy to just plunk along and "Haha, you'll buy it little man or the cute bunny gets it" soon after.
    y9UdOhq.png
    "My spirit animal can beat up your spirit animal"
    ~ Origin ID: DaCrackseed ~
  • Options
    the new EA marketing model:

220px-Natlamp73.jpg

Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    edited September 2014

220px-Natlamp73.jpg

Close but I was more thinking...

bunny.jpg

Starring Miss Crabtree as EA, the bunny as Sims features you love and miss and the rest of us going :O in horror as the fans.

Edit: That bird is probably that 1% slice of people who see 0 wrong in EA I guess? >.>
    y9UdOhq.png
  • Options
    :open_mouth: oh the poor bunny! not our sim features! not our sim features! :open_mouth:

Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Crackseed wrote: »

Neither do you or EA.

So much this!

Honestly, EA listens more than we tend to give them credit for but the problem is they seem to also be quite happy to just plunk along and "Haha, you'll buy it little man or the cute bunny gets it" soon after.
    I am not familiar with that expression about the cute bunny as English is not my primary language. Do you mean it's like they're saying "you'll buy it anyway no matter how much crap it is"?

This space is for rent.
  • Options

220px-Natlamp73.jpg

Close but I was more thinking...

bunny.jpg

Starring Miss Crabtree as EA, the bunny as Sims features you love and miss and the rest of us going :O in horror as the fans.

Edit: That bird is probably that 1% slice of people who see 0 wrong in EA I guess? >.>

Funny but its not really funny if they really do this...
  • Options

Neither do you or EA.

So much this!

I am not familiar with that expression about the cute bunny as English is not my primary language. Do you mean it's like they're saying "you'll buy it anyway no matter how much crap it is"?

It's just a strong-arm tactic basically where if you want something bad enough and they know it, they essentially place you in a difficult position. That's where I feel like many of the more coherent "negative" camp is - want to like it, want to buy it but 🐸🐸🐸🐸 if EA hasn't basically said "Oh, you can have it but you have to give up all this for now, pay for it later probably and also pay this price just to have a chance at it" ergo, the bunny held hostage.
    y9UdOhq.png
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member

Neither do you or EA.

So much this!

It's just a strong-arm tactic basically where if you want something bad enough and they know it, they essentially place you in a difficult position. That's where I feel like many of the more coherent "negative" camp is - want to like it, want to buy it but 🐸🐸🐸🐸 if EA hasn't basically said "Oh, you can have it but you have to give up all this for now, pay for it later probably and also pay this price just to have a chance at it" ergo, the bunny held hostage.

Yes that's exactly it. And why I think it's wrong to expect everyone to buy before they can comment. If the missing content is game breaking to their style why should they? I did, hoping that other features would make up for it but it just doesn't. So I'm heartbroken even after giving this game a really fair go and investing my money so that's exactly how I feel.

• Options

Neither do you or EA.

So much this!

basically it means they take the Sims Franchise hostage, if we don't buy we will see them shut the franchise off.
    Like Graham said.
    "If Sims4 is not succesfull, there will be no Sims 5"