Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Towns eventually turning into ghost towns... Everyone keeps dying!

Peteuplink2Peteuplink2 Posts: 6 New Member
Apologies if this has been mentioned before. I searched but couldn't find it.

I've been playing Sims 4 since release and I've noticed that the all other families in the game, The Goth's, Landgraab's, Caliente, etc, have all died out one by one and I'm now left with a town full of empty houses, except my own sims house. Also, when I click on manage families, the Goth's, etc, are still listed, but the portraits are blank. I've tried editing them to see if adding new sims to the families will move them into their empty houses, but it does nothing and the houses are still empty. I've tied moving them into the empty houses, but it says that they already live there. I've also tried creating new families to put in the houses and it says that they can't afford the house.

I'm playing the base game, no mods. The only thing I've done is press the "new game" icon to restart from scratch a few times.

Comments

• Options
    RudiaroseRudiarose Posts: 891 Member
    Yes, because there is no story progression so no one has children.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    The game should repopulate the town if you have "Fill Empty Homes" ticked in Game Options, but for some of us that's not happening.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    allisoneg02allisoneg02 Posts: 2,870 Member
    Do you have aging on? Also if you unchecked the "fill empty homes" box that could be why the game isn't putting families into homes around town. I had aging off for a while so I could get a feel for it and so everyone is still relatively the same age as they were when I got the game. I also used the manage household button in edit worlds mode to add kids to a few families. HTH.. sorry everyone is dying!
    - Check out my youtube channel and my sims 4 legacy on tumblr-
    alliesim02
    The Scott Legacy
  • Options
    dixieangel550dixieangel550 Posts: 779 Member
    I want story progression. why they thought to leave this out i will never understand..my town is also a ghost town
    QPs2LMU.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Another thing that I did was extend my sims lives from normal to long and then back to normal again. Perhaps changing it mid-game has messed up the progression?

I've just checked the options to see if "fill empty houses" is enabled, and it is. As a test I've disabled it while the game was at the start screen. I will restart the game and re-enable it to see if it makes a difference.
  • Options
    sarahzsmylsarahzsmyl Posts: 1,307 Member
    And this is why I turned off Unplayed aging. Have you tried to evict the "ghost" families?
    Origin, Steam, PSN, XBL - FyreFlyeRush

• Options
    FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    I guess I don't play them long enough to become a ghost town, I keep switching and starting over :p
  • Options
    I've tried evicting them, I've even deleted the empty families in the manage families screen, but it's not worked.

Currently playing to see if switching the "fill empty houses" option off and back on again has fixed anything. So far nothing.
  • Options
    Nik24X7Nik24X7 Posts: 7,865 Member
    I turned off aging for all Sims except for the Active Household. So for me, it plays just like Sims 2. I can live with that until someone comes up with a Story Progression mod. Does anyone know whether the people at NRaas Industries are working on one?
    Origin ID: nik24x7
  • Options
    blewis823blewis823 Posts: 9,046 Member
    I have the town aging while my rotational play sims age only when active, so I went to the unplayed households and added spouses for the second generation and kids. All that work was great for a few days until I realized I wasn't seeing any of the new children and teens for my sim's children to interact with, other than the ones I played. Went back to manage world and saw they were all gone, replaced with elderly sims that have no kids or relationship with each other. What is going on with this feature? Why I can't keep sims going in the family and forget adding my CAS sims, they disappear too if they don't have a house. That hurt my feelings, I just gave up.
    Nothing to see. I don't even care about the forums.
  • Options
    Switching it off and back on hasn't done a thing. Oh well, it was worth a try.

I'm tempted to see if restarting the game with all default options fixes it, but I've come quite far with my current family and don't really want to start over.

Since generational families are one of the main points of The Sims gameplay, you'd think that this would have been one of the main things that was tested to see if it works properly. It worked so well in Sims 3.

Missing toddlers, no pools and broken features... Really does look like this was pushed out of the door with at least 6 months of development left to do.

I know I could turn off unplayed sims aging to get around the problem, but I think that's kinda like buying one shoe and then deciding you're going to hop every where when travelling about...
  • Options
    JoxerTM22JoxerTM22 Posts: 5,323 Member
    edited September 2014
    I'm keeping aging off on everything as long as they don't sort things out with a patch. Even on my household sims.
    In my case, generational families will wait for better days or I'll just play them in good old Sims 3. Or 2.

Somehow QA/betatesters didn't do the job properly. I can't believe their town didn't eventually die off.
  • Options
    pageybearpageybear Posts: 180 Member
    Nik24X7 wrote: »
    I turned off aging for all Sims except for the Active Household. So for me, it plays just like Sims 2. I can live with that until someone comes up with a Story Progression mod. Does anyone know whether the people at NRaas Industries are working on one?

I think Nraas is not doing mods for this game :(
  • Options
    JoxerTM22JoxerTM22 Posts: 5,323 Member
    edited September 2014
    @Nik24X7
    So far the word is that nraas won't touch Sims 4 even if someone pays for it. :D

The modding community just started, most of mods are just decorative (new housing, body hair, new clothes), but there is one definetly worth getting till they patch it (stopper on fatness/muscless extreme changes). So you'll have to be patient for story mods.
  • Options
    Nik24X7Nik24X7 Posts: 7,865 Member
    @pageybear and @JoxerTM22 - thanks for the replies. Oh, well. I was hoping they'd make the jump to Sims 4. I'm hopeful that someone else out there will create a Story Progression mod. Doesn't need to be as robust as the one for Sims 3. I just want the non-active households to get married, get jobs, advance, and have children. How difficult could that be? (Don't answer that! :# ).
    Origin ID: nik24x7
  • Options
    GamerGirlDixieGamerGirlDixie Posts: 1 New Member
    So i have a setting that says fill empty houses but of course that doesn't work so now i'm going to start a new household and in settings i saw something that said auto sim unplayed sims undo that setting and then make the sims lifespan LONG this should atleast keep your game going a bit longer
  • Options
    February11February11 Posts: 12,661 Member
    I know this is an old thread, but I've just noticed all my towns in one game are empty apart for the houses with my Sims I've put there.
    I've created a couple of people to place and noticed in the unplayed Sims section of moving Sims into and out of houses, there are loads of them. How come they are all there but they don't have a house? When my Sim works in her retail shop, loads of them show up, yet none of them live in houses. Is this a glitch?
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,975 Member
    It takes quite awhile for sims to move in, if they do at all. My main game has aging off and I have all but one home filled.... And it hasn't been filled by the game Even though I have fill homes marked. For my legacy family save where there is normal aging... I take premades into CAS when children age up, take a sim from not in world, or another premade and merge them into a house and use DNA to create children, I do this every once in awhile so I have people in the houses that don't get culled.... It works pretty well. And my premades have generation after generation....
  • Options
    I've been doing that too in a couple of my other games where I still do have people living in the houses. I was surprised to find this one game today had no one, yet the retail shop is always packed. My fill empty houses is ticked too. It's crazy.
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • Options
    Armika74Armika74 Posts: 367 Member
    There is a story prog mod : MC Command Center by Deaderpool. It works simmilar tp Nraas story prog in Ts3. I can not post links but it´s over at Mod the sims. Just search and you shall find.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Armika74 wrote: »
    There is a story prog mod : MC Command Center by Deaderpool. It works simmilar tp Nraas story prog in Ts3. I can not post links but it´s over at Mod the sims. Just search and you shall find.

Thanks for your help but I don't want to use mods in my game.
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • Options
    Armika74Armika74 Posts: 367 Member
    No problem. For those who wants it it´s pretty neat though.
  • Options
    Kianijohenson20Kianijohenson20 Posts: 62 Member
    edited October 2015
    > @Armika74 said:
    > There is a story prog mod : MC Command Center by Deaderpool. It works simmilar tp Nraas story prog in Ts3. I can not post links but it´s over at Mod the sims. Just search and you shall find.

Wow, I didn't know that existed! I'll have to look that up.
    Mizz_Swagnificent.png
  • Options
    leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,063 Member
    February11 wrote: »

Then? What's up?

the game gas no Story Progression (in fact TS3 also had not). You need add it via mod
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    leo3487 wrote: »
    February11 wrote: »

Then? What's up?

the game gas no Story Progression (in fact TS3 also had not). You need add it via mod

No, the game is counting the dead against the population. Even if you only have 72 Sims in the game Played and Non Played it is counting every townie that died as part of the 180 limit. It is also counting every time your Sim found a suspect in the detective career as part of that population. Even though they are culled later. So, no one should have to use a mod to keep their town becoming no more than a handful of current Sims they play, eventually. It has nothing to do with story progression. It has to do with head counts.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.