Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Cooking and Gardening are awesome

StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
Just unlocked Gourmet Cooking (it is a separate skill from regular cooking, for those who did not know), lots of new recipes just from level 1 of it. As I had indicated in the past week or so in all of the "what are you going to do first" threads, I've been mostly focused on cooking and gardening in the 8+ hours I've played so far. Loving things so far. Best cooking/gardening skills in any Sims game to date.

My biggest issue with the game so far is that it is so challenging I actually set lifespan to long...I've never done that in a sims game before, but the challenge is high enough in terms of skill and career advancement that i was afraid my sim would get old and die before i set some time aside from skill/career and found him a wife.
This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
The Winters family Tree --- My Mods

Comments

• Options
    whitknight26whitknight26 Posts: 106 Member
    Could you post some pictures of the gardening phases - I.E. planting/sprouting/budding etc.?
  • Options
    altad1altad1 Posts: 1,091 Member
    That's great to hear, I'm really looking forward to gardening and cooking also. I don't get mine till Friday.
  • Options
    If you follow the link below to my twitch feed and look at the past broadcasts, they are from earlier tonight. Just about the ONLY thing I've done is garden and cook (which makes those some darn boring videos, I'm sure, especially because I am also not bothering to broadcast any of my own chatter). Anyway, you should be able to fast forward through the videos and see all of those stages of plants.

No grafting yet though, not that advanced in skill yet.
  • Options
    whitknight26whitknight26 Posts: 106 Member
    no voice inane rambling?..sold I'll go check it out.
  • Options
    ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    Are you finding it fun overall, Stormkeep?
  • Options
    The animations for the special moves at higher cooking skill level are pretty awesome too. Recently got my sim to level 6 and he does several pretty fancy moves, makes it fun to watch over time instead of just fast forwarding through it, because it is different as you gain levels in the skill.
  • Options
    @Arletta, yes, very much so.

It is the same exact kind of gameplay as any other sim game. I knew I would. I like that it seems more challenging too, although part of that is probably that i'm trying to grow more things than my sim really has time for.

Overall, it plays like a The Sims game, without the annoying glitches that TS3 had. I'm happy with it, and looking forward to where they take it over time with EP's, SP's, etc.
  • Options
    PeschkeGirlPeschkeGirl Posts: 88 Member
    Do you need to have a higher skill in normal cooking before the option "cook gourmet meal" shows up in the fridge's pie menu? I only have level 3 in both.
    xyIcMqt.png
  • Options
    CrackseedCrackseed Posts: 5,209 Member
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    The animations for the special moves at higher cooking skill level are pretty awesome too. Recently got my sim to level 6 and he does several pretty fancy moves, makes it fun to watch over time instead of just fast forwarding through it, because it is different as you gain levels in the skill.

The special moves are awesome but even more funny when they screw them up. My Sim did the fancy spice flipping thing, screwed it up, dropped it on the floor, flipped it again, dropped it in the pot and then looked around and tried to hide the fact that she screwed the WHOLE thing up. Many LOLs were had.
    y9UdOhq.png
    "My spirit animal can beat up your spirit animal"
    ~ Origin ID: DaCrackseed ~
  • Options
    Do you need to have a higher skill in normal cooking before the option "cook gourmet meal" shows up in the fridge's pie menu? I only have level 3 in both.

I believe Gourmet popped up at around 5 in normal cooking?
    y9UdOhq.png
  • Options
    PeschkeGirlPeschkeGirl Posts: 88 Member
    edited September 2014
    Crackseed wrote: »
    I believe Gourmet popped up at around 5 in normal cooking?

Oh thank you very much~! I bought the gourmet cooking book from the bookshelf and used that to level the gourmet cooking skill. I thought my game was broken... Your reply just gave me a sigh of relief! Thank you again!
    xyIcMqt.png
  • Options
    @PescheGirl, @Crackseed, Glad to see I am not the only one enjoying the cooking in the game!

My first sim just got to the top of the culinarian career last time I played, I was so happy! 2 more points left to get gourmet cooking to level 10 (regular cooking has been there for a while), and so looking forward to seeing what I unlock from it. :D

Happy Simming!
  • Options
    keyb0xkeyb0x Posts: 1,641 Member
    I have a few gardening pictures and have been loving cooking as well. My first sim is now level 10 in gardening and I've been grafting, still not spliced anything yet because I'm out of room. I've been saving up to build an extension on her house, or I might just move her to a bigger lot. Was thinking of making a rooftop garden though.

As for cooking, cooking is so much less boring. In TS3 I'd have my sim only cook the cheapest recipes over and over and over again until they were perfect. Now it's based on your cooking skill, the cooker itself, and you can save a bunch on ingredients by gathering them yourself. I get the option to "flavourise" the cooker too. Not sure if it improves meal quality like it implies or not, but it costs 10 simoleons and seems to last a while. She's level 8 or 9 in cooking now.

I'll post some pictures in a second.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    @keyb0x, glad you're liking it too! I'm really enjoying it.

I'm still at 9 gardening and just love the grafting though. I got my garden down to only 5 plants but am growing every single grow-able ingredient with those 5. I love that I can grow all the ingredients I need without having to spend a lot of time on the garden. :D Cause my main reason for gardening is because I like cooking:
    tumblr_nbf2h8lh5r1tkpp11o7_1280.jpg
    Post edited by Stormkeep on
  • Options
    meggiewesmeggiewes Posts: 1,066 Member
    I love the cooking so far! I have noticed that there are cooking books that you can buy that cost 2,500 simoleans, so I'm wondering if that unlocks even more recipes.
  • Options
    donnad82donnad82 Posts: 25 Member
    Once my sim started being able to gourmet cook, she got a new channel on her tv for watching cooking tutorials. She's also a foodie though, so I don't know if that mattered.
  • Options
    RakawreRakawre Posts: 71 Member
    I can tell you that I accidentally drop trash onto my yard because my Sim went to work and then what do ya know it's a plant that you can water. Now you have Trashcan plants.
  • Options
    sirona66sirona66 Posts: 5,196 Member
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    Just unlocked Gourmet Cooking (it is a separate skill from regular cooking, for those who did not know), lots of new recipes just from level 1 of it. As I had indicated in the past week or so in all of the "what are you going to do first" threads, I've been mostly focused on cooking and gardening in the 8+ hours I've played so far. Loving things so far. Best cooking/gardening skills in any Sims game to date.

My biggest issue with the game so far is that it is so challenging I actually set lifespan to long...I've never done that in a sims game before, but the challenge is high enough in terms of skill and career advancement that i was afraid my sim would get old and die before i set some time aside from skill/career and found him a wife.

I love the gardening too. even the cooking. it was amazing. But I am wondering cause mine has not grafted yet, but was able to take samples of the different plants, if they did not have to be a bit scientific to get that. Still playing so maybe I will find out soon. But this is wonderful to see how others are enjoying this game as much as I am.

• Options
    dnmartyndnmartyn Posts: 282 Member
    Could you post some pictures of the gardening phases - I.E. planting/sprouting/budding etc.?

@whitknight26 Carl's Sims 4 guide shows all of this pretty well. http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/skills/gardening/ It's still a work in progress, but it gives a lot of info to get you going
  • Options
    Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    Hey OP! If you have not already, I recommend using your aspiration points to get the Never Weary reward. I think it's 4k aspiration points, but it's totally worth it because your sim will never need to sleep again.

The gardening and cooking aspects of the game are refreshingly complex. I absolutely adore the grafting of plants and evolving them. The rewards for leveling the skill make it seem more worthwhile and well... rewarding. hahaha Truly enjoying it, but I have had to cheat a few times to fill my household needs and last night I even turned need decay off because I just wanted to finish collecting all the telescope pictures. LOL I haven't found an aspiration point cheat yet, or I would just load up on the bladder and hygiene traits. It's on my list of things to google today. lol
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
  • Options
    Hey OP! If you have not already, I recommend using your aspiration points to get the Never Weary reward. I think it's 4k aspiration points, but it's totally worth it because your sim will never need to sleep again.

The gardening and cooking aspects of the game are refreshingly complex. I absolutely adore the grafting of plants and evolving them. The rewards for leveling the skill make it seem more worthwhile and well... rewarding. hahaha Truly enjoying it, but I have had to cheat a few times to fill my household needs and last night I even turned need decay off because I just wanted to finish collecting all the telescope pictures. LOL I haven't found an aspiration point cheat yet, or I would just load up on the bladder and hygiene traits. It's on my list of things to google today. lol

I completely did not notice that never weary one :O

And here I was just counting my points till I got 2k for the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 Steel Bladder perk that I used so much in Sims 3. Stupid bladder acting like it owns the joint all the time.
    y9UdOhq.png
  • Options
    paramournparamourn Posts: 375 Member
    I'm a big cook/gardener in the game as well. It's been my favorite thing to do! I love all the new animations, and the gourmet foods are so neat. I really hope they will continue to add in more recipes in future expansions.
  • Options
    @Ceres_Meiriona, I'm actually trying to play a game where I do not use any of the aspiration rewards that reduce (or eliminate needs) and no cheat codes either. I always play generations of the same family, so not having time to do "everything" with one sim lifetime is good for my playstyle, it leaves me things to learn and discover and explore with the children, grand-children, great grand-children, etc.

I also almost never use anything but normal speed (except for when Sims are asleep or at work). I just really like playing the game at a relaxed pace and watching my sims. I think that is why I like TS4 so much more than TS3. TS3 Sims were so bland and you have no choice but to fast-forward cause getting from place to place took so long.

It's nice having a Sims game that I can play the same way I played TS2 (or at least similarly). I expect to get 100-200 hours of playtime out of this game before needing an EP to add more stuff because of how I play it. :D
  • Options
    Sapphire_Sim16Sapphire_Sim16 Posts: 127 Member
    I'm at cooking level 6 and was wondering if can we make cupcakes at a higher level.
  • Options
    simjenn2004simjenn2004 Posts: 22 Member
    I'm at cooking level 6 and was wondering if can we make cupcakes at a higher level.

My sim had a new recipe for every level of the cooking skill up to level 8, but no more after that.