Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What EA Needs To Do About Sims 4 RIGHT NOW

Comments

• Options
    Cynel1Cynel1 Posts: 1,389 Member
    bflury wrote: »
    Cynel1 wrote: »
    Anavastia wrote: »
    Bear31 wrote: »
    Bottom line here is that it is A BASE GAME......maybe I need to spell it out, who knows......with risk of being redundant, I will say it again.....its a base game folks. Meaning anything could happen......they started with it at the bottom so that they could work their way up from here. They made certain aspects go away because they demanded too much of not just lower end computers, but normal every day computers. They got ahead of themselves with 3.....not sure about the other two, but definitely 3 since it was always freezing and crashing. So you need to think about what it truly means for them to go back to square one.........they did it for their fans so that ALL of their fans could play and find enjoyment in it. If you've stuck with EA this long, stick it out a little longer and you might pleasantly be surprised at what they will have up their sleeves. I understand negativity toward the game.......its like they said "here have an open world (ect)" and then the rug got pulled from underneath you and that's not a good feeling, but they did it for a reason.

Base game doesn't mean BARE Game. Maybe you need to understand what a base game actually is in the gaming industry because i see you claim this all the time and not understanding what it is your saying.

The base game is the foundation blocks of the game, it is suppose to be chalked full of content and coding because it is the actual game. Expansions are to expand on content and gameplay. You've got your ideals mixed up here if you think a base game is suppose to provide very little play.

It's not most people only buy the sims as a base game and that's it. So the base game needs to well designed from the beginning other wise you're expansions which expand on content when added is also going to feel the effects of a poorly designed base.

Much like a poorly designed foundation can crumble an entire house to the ground so can a poorly designed base game. Getting ahead of themselves with 3 when every other market in the genre has been able to design and build open world play with some simulation is bs talk. You have games that can run the open world just find on lower end machines. Getting ahead of themselves has nothing to do with it. It's everything to do with EA not coding their games and cleaning up that coding properly. Let alone building it to where it runs efficiently. Any game is going to have freezing, lagging, and crashing when your coding is a mess. Why sims 4 has freezing and crashing now. The open world had nothing to do with it and never did.

So fans aren't buying the reason either, the truth is no open world is not the results of a better game, no open world is the result of trying to port over a defective mmo. That's what happened. They ignored the fanbase in the first place when we warned not to take the game online we wouldn't play it. They learn that lesson in 2013 with sims city. Rather than start the entire project over they recycle that terrible game over into a singleplayer. That is why you see the closed worlds and why the game feels rushed. It is rushed, it is limiting, and the reason why had nothing to do with sims 3 and everything to do with EA making a huge mistake and trying to slap it onto their playerbase to pay for it.

i don't know the Open world idea to me was Poorly Though out.

Poorly thought out by a developer that long jumped ship from the franchise. A poorly done open world doesn't mean we revert back, it means we learn the basics of what not to do when you have an open world. You improve the design. It's funny how many other games execute the open world so that the map size is huge. For those open world game it's chalked full of content yet sims 4 is bare boned to accommodate low systems on a map that isn't open world anymore. See the point. Than since both systems are gone there should be a huge amount of content and gameplay in the game. Yet the game still is far more limiting and less than the game with the open world. Odd. Like i said the excuses for it don't match up with game it self. Of course the game still has problems, it might execute faster but so did sims 3 until you started piling in content, Which i think will be no different with this game. I think the initial problem wasn't the open world and more cleaning up the coding for the game.

WRONG OPEN WORLD WAS THE PROBLEM .
    THE WAY THEY CODED THE OPEN WORLD WAS THE PROBLEM. HAVING AN OPEN WORLD ITSELF IS NOT A PROBLEM.

WHY ARE WE YELLING?!?!?

I was just angry that why.
    Here have a cookie. Those always calm me down...

the_cookie_princess_by_centchi-d6a7l6z_zps9cb8263f.jpg

Ummm im going to ignore that Pic now
  • Options
    AnavastiaAnavastia Posts: 6,515 Member
    loialarent wrote: »
    Bottom line here is that it is A BASE GAME......maybe I need to spell it out, who knows......with risk of being redundant, I will say it again.....its a base game folks. Meaning anything could happen......they started with it at the bottom so that they could work their way up from here. They made certain aspects go away because they demanded too much of not just lower end computers, but normal every day computers. They got ahead of themselves with 3.....not sure about the other two, but definitely 3 since it was always freezing and crashing. So you need to think about what it truly means for them to go back to square one.........they did it for their fans so that ALL of their fans could play and find enjoyment in it. If you've stuck with EA this long, stick it out a little longer and you might pleasantly be surprised at what they will have up their sleeves. I understand negativity toward the game.......its like they said "here have an open world (ect)" and then the rug got pulled from underneath you and that's not a good feeling, but they did it for a reason.

Base game doesn't mean BARE Game. Maybe you need to understand what a base game actually is in the gaming industry because i see you claim this all the time and not understanding what it is your saying.

The base game is the foundation blocks of the game, it is suppose to be chalked full of content and coding because it is the actual game. Expansions are to expand on content and gameplay. You've got your ideals mixed up here if you think a base game is suppose to provide very little play.

It's not most people only buy the sims as a base game and that's it. So the base game needs to well designed from the beginning other wise you're expansions which expand on content when added is also going to feel the effects of a poorly designed base.

Much like a poorly designed foundation can crumble an entire house to the ground so can a poorly designed base game. Getting ahead of themselves with 3 when every other market in the genre has been able to design and build open world play with some simulation is bs talk. You have games that can run the open world just find on lower end machines. Getting ahead of themselves has nothing to do with it. It's everything to do with EA not coding their games and cleaning up that coding properly. Let alone building it to where it runs efficiently. Any game is going to have freezing, lagging, and crashing when your coding is a mess. Why sims 4 has freezing and crashing now. The open world had nothing to do with it and never did.

So fans aren't buying the reason either, the truth is no open world is not the results of a better game, no open world is the result of trying to port over a defective mmo. That's what happened. They ignored the fanbase in the first place when we warned not to take the game online we wouldn't play it. They learn that lesson in 2013 with sims city. Rather than start the entire project over they recycle that terrible game over into a singleplayer. That is why you see the closed worlds and why the game feels rushed. It is rushed, it is limiting, and the reason why had nothing to do with sims 3 and everything to do with EA making a huge mistake and trying to slap it onto their playerbase to pay for it.

i don't know the Open world idea to me was Poorly Though out.

Poorly thought out by a developer that long jumped ship from the franchise. A poorly done open world doesn't mean we revert back, it means we learn the basics of what not to do when you have an open world. You improve the design. It's funny how many other games execute the open world so that the map size is huge. For those open world game it's chalked full of content yet sims 4 is bare boned to accommodate low systems on a map that isn't open world anymore. See the point. Than since both systems are gone there should be a huge amount of content and gameplay in the game. Yet the game still is far more limiting and less than the game with the open world. Odd. Like i said the excuses for it don't match up with game it self. Of course the game still has problems, it might execute faster but so did sims 3 until you started piling in content, Which i think will be no different with this game. I think the initial problem wasn't the open world and more cleaning up the coding for the game.

WRONG OPEN WORLD WAS THE PROBLEM .

No im not open world was never the problem. You can't shout the open world was the problem have no basis for why it was. Typing in all caps isn't going to make your statement right. So you need to explain why the open world is the problem.

The open world was not the problem ever. The engine yes, the coding yes, the concept of an open world no. Even the designs for the lot was more of the problem than the open world was. The sims could have 1000 of characters to fill the open venue lots for sims 3 had the open world been designed properly. I had this discussion many times with people in sims 3 who kept wantint the problem to be the open world.

The truth is it was never the open world. The problem is the developers that developed the game and designed that open world. It's always been the problem from day one. They took on a task that needed more time to develop but like always ea wants to rush the game out. If games are rushed they're never done well.

I do feel like a lot of issues were created with Open World, but it was a very fun way to play Sims at the same time. On one hand you have some issues no matter how well an open world can be coded; routing, massive amount of things to process, just trying to keep up with itself, file size, etc. The Sims 4 addressed this by getting rid of the open world so content isn't needing to occur on such a massive level. Plus loading times have gone down SO much, even if we now have more of them. I'm pleased with that. But I do see how losing the open world certainly feels like a negative. Especially considering the size of the current neighborhoods now. Once we get some more options, places to go, sub neighborhoods or custom ones, it will be MUCH better. There are pros and cons to each and I'm pleased that they're at least trying something a bit different.

I don't feel like a lot of issues were created with the open world at all. I think a lot of issues were created because ea made classic mistakes with it. I think with those other designs and the lack there of like a clean up system for open world spawning, you get one big mess. However these aren't the cause of an open world, these are the cause of a developer who said let's open the map up and then instead of taking the time to insure it's well made on a trustable engine they put it on a faulty engine.

Bad engine and open world with no clean up system doesn't work. Introduce spawning, lots designed to only allow certain traits, poor routing system that need advanced coding and routing, npc spawning and deleting at any rate cars, babies, etc, and you've got one uncontrolled mess. That doesn't mean for base game we delete everything and go here it didn't work we dont' need it say good by to it.

What kind of logic is that.

File size has more to do with CAST, which i kind of want to talk about open world. CAST can be optimized along with the open world can be optimized. Like many games open worlds have loading screens. What makes a game an open world is a large area of travel that players can explore and enjoy. There are ways to load these areas and npc's in them without bogging down the game. Yet the towns is where the load screens occur. What the open world gameplay in maps mostly do is break up the amount of time you have to continually deal with load screens. So going to 0 load screens i feel was a no no in the first place. However reverting back to all lots are load screens was unnecessary. So the problem to me here is extremism and not balance. Finding balance for both creates a better game feel and advancement.

Still if neither is coded well closed world or open it's going to come with problems. Some design's don't belong in open world play. Just like some designs don't belong in closed word play. So again finding balance in designing the game is important.
  • Options
    Jdavij20033Jdavij20033 Posts: 2,054 Member
    edited September 2014
    Here have a cookie. Those always calm me down...

OH NO! MLP strikes again!
    rifJadC.png
  • Options
    bflurybflury Posts: 2,603 Member
    edited September 2014
    EDIT: Replied in wrong thread, sorry. Too many tabs open!
    "In Short, The Sims 4's biggest problem is that The Sims 3 exists." - Kevin VanOrd, Gamespot. Scored 6.0 of 10.
  • Options
    InannaWintermoonInannaWintermoon Posts: 3,400 Member
    The big problem in TS3, bad Coding. Bad coding can make or break a game. Go figure. >.>
    It's quite drop from the top, so how ya feeling down there?
  • Options

I don't understand why you are being in "lecture mode" with me......Im not the enemy here.....no one is. And I DO understand what a base game is here........you said so yourself that "expansions are to expand on content and game play". Of course the base game is going to be less than what TS3 was. Open worlds weren't working and the other stuff that it had in it was "gumming up" the works as so to speak. That is why they had to take things like open worlds out. The base game isn't bare at all, you just haven't opened your eyes enough to see it. And if you haven't, then there's little chance that you will see anything positive at all. Its your opinion though and that's okay.....just don't lecture me on things simply because what I say makes you THAT mad. I know what I am talking about.

The sims 4 base game is even less than what sims 2 was. Like i said base game doesn't mean bare game. The gameplay needs to be immersive enough to hold onto the player for the next 6 months until the expansion. For that i needs to have a large amount of gameplay. For a game that got rid of the open world play, it's bare boned and gutted extremely. Bare boned meaning it lacks in gameplay in many areas, and doesn't provide an immersive experience when dealing with those areas. Such as family play is stripped, building is stripped, careers are stripped, many of gameplay with skills have been stripped.

What exactly am i suppose to open my eyes to look at. Right now i call it as a i see it. The game is not well put together while they removed CAST and the open world they gutted quite a lot more than just those two concepts. Rather than advancing the gameplay, advancing the lifestages, advancing the neighborhoods, advancing the skills and the gameplay behind the skills. Providing more to the player they provided less even though they removed what 'supposedly' was problem.

Like i said it isn't the open world that is the problem the problem here has always been design for sims 3. The problems with sims 4 base game is time. Lack of time to develop the game from an mmo caused a rushed sims 4 with no cast and no open world. Was never about optimizing anything, they wanted to pull the game to online, you can't have an open world with sims online they were anticipating that you'd have to load to go anywhere. No other lifestages can be in the online game either, the amount of gameplay is limiting and had simscity not failed it's launched we'd be looking at sims 4 the mmo right now. Instead were looking at the remnants of that mmo. That is why sims 4 is stripped down do being bare boned. Not because it's a base game but because it didn't have the development time to make the game. No time for careers, toddlers, animations, interactions, diversity, depth, detail, life stages, testing, content etc. 1.5 years is a joke.
  • Options
    Sc3niXSc3niX Posts: 2,468 Member
    edited September 2014
    Geferdi wrote: »

FOURTH - Build a new product that has everything people like about the previous games but ADD to it and make it BETTER. You can't go backwards.

This is the only thing i agree with.
  • Options
    UltraUltra Posts: 826 Member
    Okay the game is a little boring and bland..but recalling the game and firing everyone, thats a little excessive :p
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

Well said. I used to blame every thing on open world until I educated myself that is their badly designed worlds, routing, their badly designed AI, and game engine. Plus the badly programmed coding. And no way to clean up what the game spawns on top of it. Like cars. And then never fixed it any of it enough to make a difference. The TS4 to me is a side game. And I don't normally pay this much for one, nor do I play them all that much. And only played some of them while waiting on a real game for PC.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    loialarentloialarent Posts: 65 Member
    I'm trying to think of an Open World game with the depth and complexity of the Sims...but I'm just not finding one. Suggestions? I know it's easy to say "Code better 🐸🐸🐸🐸!" but is that really the issue? Even a well coded 32-bit game has its limits...maybe the Sims 3 just was a limit of what could be done at the time.
  • Options
    Sc3niXSc3niX Posts: 2,468 Member
    edited September 2014
    loialarent wrote: »
    I'm trying to think of an Open World game with the depth and complexity of the Sims...but I'm just not finding one. Suggestions? I know it's easy to say "Code better 🐸🐸🐸🐸!" but is that really the issue? Even a well coded 32-bit game has its limits...maybe the Sims 3 just was a limit of what could be done at the time.

X3 Reunion. Way more complex than sims, but it was done properly.
  • Options
    vcosleyvcosley Posts: 880 Member
    I loved the open world in Sims 3, didn't have a problem. I haven't bought 4 yet not sure if I want to spend that kind of money. One thing I've noticed, is there any supermarkets, or schools, police station, fire department, movie theater ? I haven't seen those. If not I will save my money.
  • Options
    daltondougdaltondoug Posts: 618 Member
    No, there aren't. Sims 4 tends to catter to a different style of gameplay, closer to sims 2. Id' tell you to give it a try or see some gameplays - the style can be quite fun. If you are on the fence, vcosley, hold your money. There isn't so much content right now; but I do believe the game can be quite good in the years to come
  • Options
    munchie885munchie885 Posts: 8,439 Member
    "NOTICE-This is my own personal opinion protected by the first amendment of the constitution of the United States. "

Thats all I read. Then I finally new that EA was causing Simmers to lose their minds.
  • Options
    Ea does that so it can feed on fan's tears. Y should know that
  • Options
    dfstonedfstone Posts: 215 Member
    FYI, Sims 3 wasn't open world either. It just gave the illusion of an open world. Venues/lots only loaded when you viewed them. Ultimately, all that pre-caching the game did to create that illusion caused some serious problems with the game's performance.
  • Options
    ultimately, sims 3 is one of the big reasons people hate sims 4. If sims 4 was sims 3, it would've a better reception
  • Options
    Damienf519Damienf519 Posts: 6,993 Member
    I am really enjoying the game, I don't understand why so many people dislike it.

I think because it wasn't what a lot of people were hoping the next game would be. A lot of people really wanted something more a long the lines of the Sims 3 with better graphics. Plus EA for lack of time, left out major things that had been staples in Sims games before, such toddlers, pools and ghosts.
  • Options
    pguidapguida Posts: 7,481 Member
    dfstone wrote: »
    FYI, Sims 3 wasn't open world either. It just gave the illusion of an open world. Venues/lots only loaded when you viewed them. Ultimately, all that pre-caching the game did to create that illusion caused some serious problems with the game's performance.

That has been patently proven false.
  • Options
    dfstonedfstone Posts: 215 Member
    pguida wrote: »

Proven by whom?
  • Options
    AshleeMDAndradeAshleeMDAndrade Posts: 53 Member
    Sims 4 isn't that bad...... I just think they need to fix there crashing issue like pronto because I think about 40-50% are experiencing crashing
    <3
  • Options
    nilaniusnilanius Posts: 1,984 Member
    What really gets me, the OP wants the entire team and gurus who made the game, to lose their jobs. The reason people might see more negative reviews of the game is because the ones who are enjoying it, myself included, spend way way more time in game building, creating, sharing, playing and having fun, than to goto some non-official website of "Reviews" and put up their own reviews. Instead, some have come to this forum, shared their thoughts. Others don't even bother because they find the game fun and roll their eyes at the people complaining here.

But if they did what people like the OP suggest, then they would really have a big problem. Because to people like me and others who are playing it and having fun, it would be like a company saying "Here's the game! Enjoy..." and a few days later snatching it away. That would alienate new and old customers who are enjoying the game, just to satisfy people who no matter WHAT they do, will never be happy with EA or Maxis or their products.
    tumblr_static_plumbob.gif
    My current feelings about The Sims 4. Here is hoping The Sims 5 can restore The Sims franchise.
  • Options
    Recalls happens mostly when the product is dangerous. The op was just angry, I guess; not that he was serious.
  • Options
    dfstone wrote: »
    pguida wrote: »

Proven by whom?

By the fact that not the entire map is cache loaded just the lots. In other words games like skyrim are open world even though they have loading screens. Why because they have the open map of which you can roam without load.

So sims map actually is open world.
  • Options
    meekeeleekeemeekeeleekee Posts: 202 Member
    > @meekeeleekee said:<br />
    > I agree with your frustration and need to vent. I have had so many issues with TS3 I can't even remember them all. I have just started TS4 today and was pleasantly surprised.<br />
    > <br />
    > These horrible loading screens you speak of? Well they take me a few seconds to get through and I do believe they are there to take a load off of lower end less capable computers. I think many of their ideas work and are brilliant, but of course there are glitches. They would have to hold back the game for a very long time to play out every single little scenario that millions of people will create in order to get a certain glitch happen. I play World of Warcraft and they release a patch nearly every second week on tuesdays. It's not uncommon to have patches to fix things. It's actually better that they atleast try to fix things instead of "hey we finished that, so if it broke we aint fixin it"<br />
    > <br />
    > TS3 for me was unplayable......well literally it would crash....it was almost like it was too much for an average PC or mac to handle. Soooo many patterns to load and a whole world to run all the time going from place to place without a pause to load. TS4 has taken a very smart move in releasing objects/outfits that have a few varied options instead of never ending options. Makes things easier and less of a headache. I thought I would miss the ability to pick patterns and colours, but I don't at all.<br />
    > <br />
    > Everyone who complains about it being too basic and lacking content....HELLO!!! ITS A BASE GAME!!! IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE BARE BONES MATE!<br />
    > <br />
    > Sheesh!<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    I Think Windows 8 is a problem with Sims 3 lol. My old Laptop had a AMD turion Dual core CPU and ran Sims 3 fine with Vista and 7 but couldn't run it with Windows 8. My new Laptop with an AMD A6 APU also can't run the Sims 3 and thank god I bought most of the Expansions during Black Friday :P My laptop now can play Sims 4 while takes a bit to load is pretty seamless once it loads.

yeah i have windows 7. my dads a computer tech and said that windows 8 is best for those surface type laptops. He is getting me some more RAM so hopefully it'll help. SO far though the sims 4 does get a tad choppy but thats like maybe every half hour. but I do have the settings up a tad too high lol im a sucker for good graphics!!