Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The autosave feature

I just realized how deeply this feature will affect gameplay. Most everyone has experienced losing like 5 hours of work because you forgot to save. Sure this is great for when the game crashes, but what about when you accidentally kill a sim or have a visit from a social worker? Does anyone think they'll miss the challenge of deciding between losing all that hard work, or forging ahead with a new twist? All of a sudden I'm feeling sentimental about something silly. Either way, sims don't seem to drop dead almost at random anymore, so it's not like it matters.

Comments

• Options
    DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,944 Member
    I think I read somewhere that you can turn off the auto save.
  • Options
    VampirspiegeleiVampirspiegelei Posts: 704 Member
    I will most certainly NOT miss losing several hours of playtime!

Also the option to not reload if something bad has happened is still there - just don't do it ;)

Also there are the Autosaves and regular saves like we know them.
    ... jinkies oO
  • Options
    XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    I won't miss that challenge as I don't want to lose a lot work like in Sims 3 when the game itself messed up for crashed. I used a mod similar and it was a life saver for me. As long as a death happened in the game or something and not something I caused (I used a cheat once for needs because there was something I was testing out and knew that sim wouldn't have time to eat while having them test something out and slid the needs bar low on accident, causing them to die), I will be ok with autosave for the most part.
  • Options
    virtualhuman907virtualhuman907 Posts: 62 Member
    I will most certainly NOT miss losing several hours of playtime!

Also the option to not reload if something bad has happened is still there - just don't do it ;)

Also there are the Autosaves and regular saves like we know them.
    Ha! That is very true, no more cussing at the screen over the accidental "I just player untill noon of the next day, time to save and qu... oops, wrong button D:"
    On second thought though, isn't this game about emotions? What about the &$#?! emotion? ;)
  • Options
    SkulltecSkulltec Posts: 474 Member
    I think auto save should be an option that you can turn on or off. I would love it but i will manual save as well just in case something horrible happened and it automatically saved it
  • Options
    VampirspiegeleiVampirspiegelei Posts: 704 Member
    On second thought though, isn't this game about emotions? What about the &$#?! emotion? ;)

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    Haha, hopefully we will be spared from the worse overspill
    Although I bet it will be fun seeing sims in a seething fit of rage at times.

... jinkies oO
  • Options
    LightestsLightests Posts: 853 Member
    i love autosave more than trying to change whats destined to happen to my sims
    tumblr_n4lzmoWGk41s7cn3go1_400.gif
  • Options
    yanti68yanti68 Posts: 19,017 Member
    So you can turn off auto save if you want? I didn't know that!
  • Options
    Biotic_WarlockBiotic_Warlock Posts: 11,063 Member
    Autosave will save my life. (I'd probably have a second save file I manually made for that kind of bounce-back if it allows (just in case things go wrong)).
    Gallery ID: Biotic_Warlock
  • Options

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    Haha, hopefully we will be spared from the worse overspill
    Although I bet it will be fun seeing sims in a seething fit of rage at times.
    It will be nice to see a different type of foot stomping for a change!
  • Options
    WilderwolfWilderwolf Posts: 3,406 Member
    You can't turn auto save off, they've already said that.

You don't have to worry about it saving over something you want to reverse though. It works like this:

Say you're playing and a sim catches on fire and dies, but you don't want them to die. You exit out of the game, and you can either load up the save file again from the last point YOU saved it, OR you can load up the auto save.

So whenever you start a game there will be two save files, one is the auto save and the other is whenever you last saved the game manually.
    Sig_zpsrk5fg4ri.gif

• Options
    allisoneg02allisoneg02 Posts: 2,870 Member
    Wilderwolf wrote: »

You don't have to worry about it saving over something you want to reverse though. It works like this:

Say you're playing and a sim catches on fire and dies, but you don't want them to die. You exit out of the game, and you can either load up the save file again from the last point YOU saved it, OR you can load up the auto save.

So whenever you start a game there will be two save files, one is the auto save and the other is whenever you last saved the game manually.

Thank you for that explanation. I had heard it was possible but was totally confused as to HOW until you explained it. That is absolutely wonderful!! I know this will probably help clear it up for a few people :)
    - Check out my youtube channel and my sims 4 legacy on tumblr-
    alliesim02
    The Scott Legacy
  • Options
    dark5id3dark5id3 Posts: 2,476 Member
    Wilderwolf wrote: »

Thank you for that info @Wilderwolf.......Now I don't have to ask the question I was getting ready to type in.

2rxu2ph.png
  • Options
    altad1altad1 Posts: 1,091 Member
    @Wilderwolf thanks for that info. Now at least not the same frustration of hours of lost work in TS3.
  • Options
    enkeli63enkeli63 Posts: 6,637 Member
    I just realized how deeply this feature will affect gameplay. Most everyone has experienced losing like 5 hours of work because you forgot to save. Sure this is great for when the game crashes, but what about when you accidentally kill a sim or have a visit from a social worker? Does anyone think they'll miss the challenge of deciding between losing all that hard work, or forging ahead with a new twist? All of a sudden I'm feeling sentimental about something silly. Either way, sims don't seem to drop dead almost at random anymore, so it's not like it matters.

Autosave is in addition to regular saves. It will not save over your manual save files. It's just a bonus, in case you forget to save, or in case the autosave was more recent than your last manual save, etc.

OriginID Starwing6
    my Sims 4 story blog: http://www.starwingsims.com/

Join SimsWriters.com to promote or enjoy fan-generated content (stories, videos, music, etc) celebrating The Sims.
  • Options
    burntcheese223burntcheese223 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Auto save has saved me so many times when it came to other games
  • Options
    keyb0xkeyb0x Posts: 1,641 Member
    Yeah, autosaves in most games are usually separate from the saves you make manually. It is becoming more common to have JUST autosaves though. Thankfully, TS4 isn't one of those games. That would be absolutely insane.
  • Options
    MoonbarkerMoonbarker Posts: 1,281 Member
    edited August 2014
    I think I read somewhere that you can turn off the auto save.
    Not sure if someone answered this already but no, you can't turn off autosave. Simguru Graham said that you can't turn it off and it runs in the background.

Edit: Found the link
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Most RPG, or Browser Games come with an Auto Save, I don't see why this one would have been any different.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    VlaxitovVlaxitov Posts: 5,798 Member
    When I suggested an optional autosave for TS3 in TS3 forums, people fought me on it soo hard it was ridiculous.
  • Options
    co3jb1co3jb1 Posts: 50 Member
    The autosave will definitely be helpful. I don't know how many times I have been in the middle of building a house and having the game crash and then realize I had forgotten to save and lost a couple hours of work.
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    Vlaxitov wrote: »
    When I suggested an optional autosave for TS3 in TS3 forums, people fought me on it soo hard it was ridiculous.
    That's because many people don't really "understand" what it means. One need only look at the many threads in the TS3 forums regarding the "save as" feature to see that there are a whole lot of players that don't have a particularly good understanding of save functions.

There's nothing wrong with the lack of basic understanding, imo. It's pretty awesome that we live in a world where one does not need any technical knowledge at all to use a PC and play games. It sure beats the days where the only people who could be gamers were those that knew how to tweak the config.sys and autoexec.bat files to configure their memory properly for the particular game they wanted to play.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    VlaxitovVlaxitov Posts: 5,798 Member
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    That's because many people don't really "understand" what it means. One need only look at the many threads in the TS3 forums regarding the "save as" feature to see that there are a whole lot of players that don't have a particularly good understanding of save functions.

There's nothing wrong with the lack of basic understanding, imo. It's pretty awesome that we live in a world where one does not need any technical knowledge at all to use a PC and play games. It sure beats the days where the only people who could be gamers were those that knew how to tweak the config.sys and autoexec.bat files to configure their memory properly for the particular game they wanted to play.

Most of the autosave naysayers in TS3 forums were seasoned regulars who claimed deeper knowledge than I on autosave.

• Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    Most of the autosave naysayers in TS3 forums were seasoned regulars who claimed deeper knowledge than I on autosave.

This is the internet, people "claim" all kinds of knowledge that they do not actually have. ;)

personally I just use the NRAAS mod in TS3 for the auto-save capability, has worked like a charm for me for years! An EA version probably wouldn't have been as customizable.

This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    I should probaly clarify, this thread isn't me worrying that autosave will overwrite my saves, or that I won't be able to just reload. It's more about an end of an era. I'm totally not saying autosave is bad, just that forgetting to save and then losing a bunch of work was like a fact of life for the previous games, so I'm feeling sentimental and nostalgic.