Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Rachel Franklin "We're Not Here to Judge"

Comments

• Options
    wmissie0925wmissie0925 Posts: 310 Member
    If they had put basic churches in the Sims 3 as rabbitholes that wouldn't have upset me. I'm glad they are not putting it in. I can just see all the videos that would be made and it would bother me and cause unnecessary arguing in the sims community.
  • Options
    cman20102010cman20102010 Posts: 136 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    And it doesn't work because those who say they are the most tolerant don't want to tolerate others believes. That's the way I see it. But I think there should be options for those who do. Like a free DL of a Maxis made church or etc. Or animations and interactions like from the TSM or some other type interactions and animations, that would be fair. It's not fair when you don't want to tolerate others but want them to tolerate your game style and what types of people you want in your game.

I have found that the ones who claim we are not tolorant of there believes are usually the biggest Hippocrates when it comes to being tolerant of others beliefs. I have to say though I dont blame them for not including religions in the game, it would seem a little silly to have tons of religions but no toddlers.

• Options
    panapopspanapops Posts: 429 Member
    And it doesn't work because those who say they are the most tolerant don't want to tolerate others believes. That's the way I see it. But I think there should be options for those who do. Like a free DL of a Maxis made church or etc. Or animations and interactions like from the TSM or some other type interactions and animations, that would be fair. It's not fair when you don't want to tolerate others but want them to tolerate your game style and what types of people you want in your game.

I have found that the ones who claim we are not tolorant of there believes are usually the biggest Hippocrates when it comes to being tolerant of others beliefs. I have to say though I dont blame them for not including religions in the game, it would seem a little silly to have tons of religions but no toddlers.

I think Hippocrates was the biggest Hippocrates, but now the name has rather fallen out of fashion outside of the oath.
  • Options
    Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    panapops wrote: »

I think Hippocrates was the biggest Hippocrates, but now the name has rather fallen out of fashion outside of the oath.

I love Hippocrates and his oath... "an it harm none, do what ye will." ... who knew Hippocrates was a Wiccan?
  • Options
    residentevilobresidentevilob Posts: 141 Member
    I don't want religion in my game, it's literally Human kinds biggest mistake.

I hate religion. Especially when people throw it all up in my face.
  • Options
    knazzerknazzer Posts: 3,382 Member
    There already is politics in the Sims games, all those Sims protesting against Jelly Fish outside my town hall all the time ;)
  • Options
    ItsMeTaiItsMeTai Posts: 88 Member
    "Were not here to judge" says EA's biggest drunk.
  • Options
    Damienf519Damienf519 Posts: 6,993 Member
    Religion and politics don't mix, I don't like either in games. Too much risk of things becoming a powder keg.

For the most part I agree, but maybe they could add a generic sounding fake religion to the game as a sort of place holder, for people who actually want religion in the game. That might be a way around causing too much controversy.
  • Options
    halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    edited August 2014
    I think she is right that people play as per their imaginations. I was treating the social groups (nerds etc) in Sims 3 as simlish religions or faith.

I personally think having simlish faith would open more room to gameplay. They have to be purely simlish and have no resemblence to real religions. As someone stated the Ilama faith, cow plant faith, mother nature faith, the tree of life faith. Lol

I'm with anything that opens more room for diverse gameplay even if I did not like it in real life
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    ItsMeTaiItsMeTai Posts: 88 Member
    Damienf519 wrote: »
    Religion and politics don't mix, I don't like either in games. Too much risk of things becoming a powder keg.

For the most part I agree, but maybe they could add a generic sounding fake religion to the game as a sort of place holder, for people who actually want religion in the game. That might be a way around causing too much controversy.

PLEASE! They'll just scream, "this is making fun of religion!! add our religion to the game this isn't fair!"
    You can't please people with religion and if they did the game would be a too focused on it.
  • Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    MissTexasB wrote: »
    I'm glad they don't try to put religion in the game. I'm a Christian so I play my sims with the same morals I live in my daily life. But if EA tried to incorporate Christianity into the sims they wouldn't get it right because of the different denominations. For example Rachel said that prayer is repeating words but for me prayer is a conversation with God. If we can't agree with that then I wouldn't want her version of my faith in my game.

I totally agree with you also, I do the same. I also keep morals in my sims games. Also I always build a church in my towns, When University came out. I put a podium in my church. When ever I went to the lot with the church, Sims would come and go into the church and sit in the pews and read, I always said, they are reading their Bible. Someone would go to the podium and I said he was preaching. loved it. Had a outdoor wedding place with reception area, and a graveyard. I will be doing this in Sims 4.
    So anyone can do what they want, because I am not in their game. As no one is in my game and I can play the way I want.

• Options
    MartinsonkinsMartinsonkins Posts: 92 Member
    They should add religion in the game for people who want it and if you do think it is 'Human Kinds Biggest Mistake' then all you need to do is take it out that way it works well for the player.
    You are confined only by the walls you build yourself.
    Andrew Murphy
  • Options
    enkeli63enkeli63 Posts: 6,637 Member
    Thanks for the video. I felt like Rachel Franklin was overly nervous or something, I have never seen her like that before.
    OriginID Starwing6
    my Sims 4 story blog: http://www.starwingsims.com/

Join SimsWriters.com to promote or enjoy fan-generated content (stories, videos, music, etc) celebrating The Sims.
  • Options
    Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    edited August 2014
    ItsMeTai wrote: »
    Damienf519 wrote: »

PLEASE! They'll just scream, "this is making fun of religion!! add our religion to the game this isn't fair!"
    You can't please people with religion and if they did the game would be a too focused on it.

Pretty much, even if the 'Sims' religion only very 'vaguely' resembles another religion, they'll claim it's making fun of them, and then other religions will protest that they don't have accurate representation of their religions, ETC and we're right back to square one.

"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy" - The Life of Brian; Not about Jesus at all, but caused no end of controversy.
    raw
  • Options
    shenice93shenice93 Posts: 150 Member
    > @enkeli63 said:
    > Thanks for the video. I felt like Rachel Franklin was overly nervous or something, I have never seen her like that before.

I think it was the question she was answering. Questions about Religion are difficult to answer because, as history and current events has proven, religious people tend to be the most easiest to offend in some circles. That's not to say that ALL religious people are easily offended or that their concerns aren't legitimate, it's just that these kind of questions tend to come out of left field and their only purpose is to cause the interviewee to trip up. So, interviewees get a little shaky when they answer it, because they're usually not prepared for this kind of question.

After all, religion has never been a staple in the core Sims franchise. I don't think anyone answering questions about a game that has never had religion in past expects interviewers to ask about religion. I do think Rachel handled it pretty well though. A decent "no, but it can be if you want it to be" type answer.
    Visit my tumblr for all my custom content creations: the-stories-sims-tell.tumblr.com
  • Options
    jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    Would like to play a vicar, as a job and have a church to have the sims go to and marry in. Or any religious symbol. I just think that I would play it as a funny thing and that would be against some religions, so I can see it not being in the game. Getting the vicar into all kinds of situations and stuff, would most likely be not good. They do have religion in Sims Medieval, but, they really could not leave it out of that time as that was what ruled the world at the time.
  • Options
    ClassicStyleClassicStyle Posts: 154 Member
    Religion thing is very confusing in Sims. Because, first of all, you play this game as a God yourself, manipulating sims' life.
  • Options
    JohnConnorJohnConnor Posts: 1,223 Member
    Religion thing is very confusing in Sims. Because, first of all, you play this game as a God yourself, manipulating sims' life.

Indeed, in 'Sims: Medieval', the sims worshiped the Watcher - which is you as player, controller of their world.
    9c1d242c-c6d4-48fa-a82e-53ea24a39377_zpse2967e49.jpg?t=1409877900
  • Options
    ClassicStyleClassicStyle Posts: 154 Member
    JohnConnor wrote: »

Indeed, in 'Sims: Medieval', the sims worshiped the Watcher - which is you as player, controller of their world.
    Sorry, I didn't play sims medieval.

• Options
    JohnConnorJohnConnor Posts: 1,223 Member
    Sorry, I didn't play sims medieval.

I mentioned this as a potential way of getting round TS4 actually having to realistically represent some world religions at the expense of others. Of course, some might object that portraying the simmer in the role of God was blasphemous - but you kind of were in TSM and they didn't object then.
    9c1d242c-c6d4-48fa-a82e-53ea24a39377_zpse2967e49.jpg?t=1409877900
  • Options
    PixelsimmerPixelsimmer Posts: 2,351 Member
    Evalen wrote: »
    MissTexasB wrote: »
    I'm glad they don't try to put religion in the game. I'm a Christian so I play my sims with the same morals I live in my daily life. But if EA tried to incorporate Christianity into the sims they wouldn't get it right because of the different denominations. For example Rachel said that prayer is repeating words but for me prayer is a conversation with God. If we can't agree with that then I wouldn't want her version of my faith in my game.

I totally agree with you also, I do the same. I also keep morals in my sims games. Also I always build a church in my towns, When University came out. I put a podium in my church. When ever I went to the lot with the church, Sims would come and go into the church and sit in the pews and read, I always said, they are reading their Bible. Someone would go to the podium and I said he was preaching. loved it. Had a outdoor wedding place with reception area, and a graveyard. I will be doing this in Sims 4.
    So anyone can do what they want, because I am not in their game. As no one is in my game and I can play the way I want.

I love that idea. I'm not a Christian but I may actually try this in my game!
  • Options
    amuromaxamuromax Posts: 32 Member
    edited August 2014
    I'm not enthusiastic about The Sims franchise ever including real-life religions. I like The Sims world being similar to our real world but still having its own unique characteristics. The only way I could see any sort of religion being appropriate for The Sims is if they created one like they did for TSM but mashed up with a bunch of qualities of several existing world religions and calling it something different. However, I actually think the most appropriate solution would be to add a spiritual trait. A spiritual trait would be the ideal compromise, imo. I wouldn't want any specific religious symbols to show up in the game either, but I think a plumbob as a proxy for those things would be funny and a nice touch.
  • Options
    lizbethbearlizbethbear Posts: 3,201 Member
    This video was completely unnecessary and lacked any real information. We can pretend our sims are saying whatever we want them to be saying?? Imagine that!!!!
    WznfzGr.gif
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    munchie885 wrote: »
    Um is Rachel trying to ruin the franchise with religion? If she was to leave the worship of the llama stuff like how it was in the sims castaway then maybe...

I think it's more that a lot of Simmers have been asking for religious elements (like churches) pretty much throughout the run of Sims 3, and she's nipping it in the bud right now. In Sims Medieval religion worked because the Church was a powerful political as well as social force in that era; since there were no government social programs (or very few), the Church handled the care for the poor.

I am a person of faith, but I'm not out there trying to force my faith on anyone else. And I don't want to see religion in a light-hearted game like The Sims.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    Biotic_WarlockBiotic_Warlock Posts: 11,063 Member
    edited August 2014

That's referenced to in The Sims Medieval ;)
    You are "The Watcher"

Edit: Aw, somebody already pointed that out.
    :sweat_smile:
    Gallery ID: Biotic_Warlock