Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Unimpressed

It's sad, but while watching these videos of gameplay and the Gamescom presentation, I found myself getting bored and fast forwarding through them. I want to give this game a chance, but I just feel totally disinterested. I hate this new direction they took the game.

What are your thoughts after watching the videos?

Comments

• Options
    SprinklesBonBonSprinklesBonBon Posts: 2,727 Member
    well...it's not that horrible...but still would like to see some features back in the game that's all...maybe in the near future I'll give a chance again :) but for right now once it's released I'll def youtube and read blog's about the gameplay from other players
    Still waiting for Toddlers...
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,540 Member
    edited August 2014
    That I won't get a true feel for this game until it's released and I either play it myself or watch other players on YouTube.
    Playing it myself is really the only way. :p
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited August 2014
    I really like the one by English Simmer, but it had bugs and they didn't go unnoticed by me. Like the teen walking right through Cassandra, just made bells go off in my head. I watched for a few more minutes while they were at the park, when I decided their conversation between the teens had absolutely nothing to do with the guy's emotions. I was impressed with the little girl crying because the baby had been born and that is something EA should market more, however, when I started to notice the clipping/routing, and the conversations didn't match the emotion on the screen, nor his expressions matched the emotion on the screen, I turned it off.

I became disinterested in anymore of it because it wasn't adding up to what I expected with these new emotions/expressions lining up to what they are talking about, etc. Yeah, I do demand those things match.

ETA: I have totally skipped any Gamescon presentations by EA.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    I fast-forwarded to see gameplay, was not interested in CAS or building. Enjoyed what I saw of the gameplay, except the epic phail of the "Hungry Games." I don't think they realized their Sim was on the brink of death. Oh well, plumbs happen.
  • Options
    JoeWow1003JoeWow1003 Posts: 4,121 Member
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    It's sad, but while watching these videos of gameplay and the Gamescom presentation, I found myself getting bored and fast forwarding through them. I want to give this game a chance, but I just feel totally disinterested. I hate this new direction they took the game.

I don't think it's fair to judge a game based on watching someone play it...

I know let's plays are popular and all but I dunno, watching someone play a game (especially if they're just showcasing it and not actually playing it) is a totally different experience than playing it yourself.
  • Options
    InannaWintermoonInannaWintermoon Posts: 3,400 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I really like the one by English Simmer, but it had bugs and they didn't go unnoticed by me. Like the teen walking right through Cassandra, just made bells go off in my head. I watched for a few more minutes while they were at the park, when I decided their conversation between the teens had absolutely nothing to do with the guy's emotions. I was impressed with the little girl crying because the baby had been born and that is something EA should market more, however, when I started to notice the clipping/routing, and the conversations didn't match the emotion on the screen, nor his expressions matched the emotion on the screen, I turned it off.

I became disinterested in anymore of it because it wasn't adding up to what I expected with these new emotions/expressions lining up to what they are talking about, etc. Yeah, I do demand those things match.

Ah yes, I noticed the routing issues before. Oh, open world gone due to routing issues, opps. Seems the routing issues are back with a vengeance. New game same on crummy issues once again. No thanks EA.
    It's quite drop from the top, so how ya feeling down there?
  • Options
    averee90averee90 Posts: 448 Member

Totally agree. In fact I got bored with every one of the promo videos and had to stop watching within a few minutes. :| They've taken away everything that was good in this series. Oh well.

• Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,554 Member
    makes me went the sims4 more and more after watching these videos
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    JoeWow1003 wrote: »

I don't think it's fair to judge a game based on watching someone play it...

I know let's plays are popular and all but I dunno, watching someone play a game (especially if they're just showcasing it and not actually playing it) is a totally different experience than playing it yourself.

She was 'playing' it, it is EA that 'showcases'. There's a huge difference. And yes, it is totally fair to watch someone else play it because they aren't 'staging it/faking it'.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »
    And yes, it is totally fair to watch someone else play it because they aren't 'staging it/faking it'.

If people are just as entertained watching someone play a game than they are playing it themselves then it's a wonder how any game sells at all :p
  • Options
    kriskogramkriskogram Posts: 306 Member
    I think that when i load the game myself with MY sims it will be different, first of all (not to brag) i will play it on ultra settings for sure (most of the videos are recorded on terrible quality) i still will try to keep my hope about the game being amazing :) ! Not to be ungrateful about the hard work to keep us informed by simmer all around the world, but i want to see the game on my PC first,play around and will tell for sure what i think then! :)
    swxz4h.png
  • Options
    gothprincess4evergothprincess4ever Posts: 2,130 Member
    I'll play the game myself and then give my honest opinion on its every aspect. Watching someone else play it isn't my way of giving true opinions over any game.
  • Options
    AlizatinaAlizatina Posts: 2,189 Member
    edited August 2014
    I can't base an opinion of Sims 4 off of the video currently available, because all of them are horrible quality!

Most of them did reaffirm my opinion that SimGuruRyan and SimGuruGraham are annoying plumbs! :D
    200.gif
    cFVKsID.png
    “It’s very dangerous,” she said, “falling in love with someone’s flaws.”
  • Options
    Jimboola11Jimboola11 Posts: 1,850 Member
    MsPhy wrote: »
    I fast-forwarded to see gameplay, was not interested in CAS or building. Enjoyed what I saw of the gameplay, except the epic phail of the "Hungry Games." I don't think they realized their Sim was on the brink of death. Oh well, plumbs happen.

That was funny as hell. They had that whole thing set up (just look at the background) to show intelligent play in the Sims, one keels over & they moved to something different as quickly as possible. 'Rachel' wanting to move on, 'Peter' baffled. >:)

• Options
    GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    edited August 2014
    My thoughts during The English Simmer's video went something like this:

"Unscripted gameplay. Yay!"
    "OMG, the clipping makes this scene awkward."
    "Kids are cute."
    "Even when they're sitting they flap their arms a lot."
    "That guy totally doesn't look old enough to be that teen's father."
    "Is she supposed to be in labor? No one seems to care."
    "Still looks awkward that sims simply vanish when they leave the lot. Is she walking to the hospital while in labor?"
    "At least the father went with her."
    "The baby's bassinet just poofs next to the teen while the parents are still at the hospital?" :o
    "The teen's making drinks and doesn't even look up. Maybe he should lay off of the 'juice.'"
    "The little girl's sad because of the new baby. Awwww." (This whole part was the one thing that actually impressed me.)
    "The dad and brother don't seem to care about the baby. Poor thing." :(
    "Picking the baby up and putting it down over and over again still looks awkward." :|

And so on. I can't say that I was impressed, although I appreciated her posting the video. The whole thing still felt like a regression. The bassi-baby was straight out of TS1, the loading screens, and even the sims seemed pretty much the same as before, just with wilder gesticulations.
    Post edited by GabbyGirlJ on
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Options
    etherealethereal Posts: 107 Member
    Seeing some of the generational play by EnglishSimmer put me back on the fence. Not too thrilled with infant baby popping into a child, that's just weird. But that is all I ever wanted to see from ea, was unscripted gameplay. I don't think I was asking too much.

The omission of content and life stages bothers me of course, but I really want to like this game, but for some reason I am not as excited as I should be or expected to be. Plus, I don't really want to reward ea with money for not listening to the community. It seems if I buy it, I'll send the wrong message to ea saying it's okay to omit core stuff and that I'll buy it anyway. The conflicting dilemma.

Maybe I might think about it after I see other fellow simmers videos after September 2 enjoying it, it may change my mind. I just have to have a little patience. :)
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,540 Member
    edited August 2014
    "The little girl's sad because of the new baby. Awwww." (This whole part was the one thing that actually impressed me.)

That right there. <3

I hope EA has some family dynamics going on.
    What happens if a child realizes that their parents have a much stronger relationship with the other sibling?
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    munchie885munchie885 Posts: 8,439 Member
    GabbyGirlJ wrote: »
    "Is she supposed to be in labor? No one seems to care."

Thats honestly my favorite part... literally no one cared that there was a lady having a home birth all by herself. Atleast in the previous sim games other sims would run around screaming. But in the sims 4.... naw. Sorry your on your own. You got pregnant. You deal with it lady.
  • Options
    GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    CK213 wrote: »

That right there. <3

What happens if a child realizes that their parents have a much stronger relationship with the other sibling?

I wish we could see more of this. That one part gave me a bit of hope for families. Hopefully there are more of these sort of scenarios in the game.
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Options
    gothprincess4evergothprincess4ever Posts: 2,130 Member
    CK213 wrote: »

That right there. <3

I really liked how they put such a cute family aspect in the game, I hope there are more surprises for us to discover. I haven't understood the duration of pregnancy though: they said it will last a few days, but not a specific amount of days? :\
  • Options
    etherealethereal Posts: 107 Member
    The clipping in EnglishSimmers' video was horrendous. But I think she said at the beginning of the video that ea had given her an old beta copy or something which was still buggy. Which doesn't make sense in mid August. Why wouldn't they give her a copy of the final version to showcase, that may have less clipping/bugs? So the question is, is the clipping this awful in the final version?
  • Options
    ethereal wrote: »
    Why wouldn't they give her a copy of the final version to showcase, that may have less clipping/bugs? So the question is, is the clipping this awful in the final version?

Companies don't usually hand out full versions of games before the game is officially released.
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    GabbyGirlJ wrote: »

That was the only part of the video I liked. I just don't get why EA doesn't show more of that. It was adorable and showcases the emotions WAY, WAY better than what they've been doing thus far.

I watched the English Simmer video all the way through. I noticed that no one cared that the mom was in labor, that no one except the little girl cared about the baby. It just layed there, unless she directed the mom to go interact with it. I would have liked to see if the child could interact in any way, especially since she was jealous.

Most of the presentations that EA has given to showcase this game have just made me feel embarrassed for them. I know we all play differently, but I just don't get what they are getting at.
  • Options
    InannaWintermoonInannaWintermoon Posts: 3,400 Member
    The clipping in EnglishSimmers' video was horrendous. But I think she said at the beginning of the video that ea had given her an old beta copy or something which was still buggy. Which doesn't make sense in mid August. Why wouldn't they give her a copy of the final version to showcase, that may have less clipping/bugs? So the question is, is the clipping this awful in the final version?

Its quite possible it will ship with these issues. Just remember, a lot of said issues were in TS3 as well and were never really fixed.
    It's quite drop from the top, so how ya feeling down there?
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member

If there are animation issues at this point, it's too late. Animations were completed long ago so if they didn't bother to fix them then, they won't have time to do it now. So even if she was playing a month or even 6 month old game, pretty much what you see is what you get.