Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New Tidbits about Whims

Comments

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited July 2014
    alan650111 wrote:
    Lyndsay Pearson ‏@SimGuruLyndsay 1h
    @SimGuruJohn I think it's cool when my Sim has a whim to Cry Under the Covers when she's sad. It always makes me feel so bad for her!
    Maybe it's because I'm an adult, but I always catch myself feeling a bit uneasy and suspicious when a grown up writes something like that.
    It just feels like she's only trying to sell me those emotions and nothing else. Maybe that's because I just don't believe they actually play the game for hours and hours like we do and really grow attached to those sims.
    I mean, I also like detailed interactions like this, but I prefer them being presented in a more genuine way.
    "Hi folks, great new animation here, they can cry under their covers now!"
    Dat is hoe je praat als je iets significant verbeterd hebt!
    Sorry..., wat bedoel je?
    (Sorry, what do you mean?)

Edit: oh, wait, I get it
    ("That's what you talk like when you improved something significantly")

This is no improvement, this is just a nice animation. Don't get me wrong, I like new animations a lot.
    I just don't buy the paternalistic tone. It feels like playing with my children when they did something cruel to their toys, holding it up saying: "Look, he's saaadddd, you see? He's crying..." (making little crying sounds myself)

They're selling and I'm just not buying the tone.

(they twitter like this also selling S3 stuff by the way)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    edited July 2014
    alan650111 wrote:
    @SimGuruJohn I think it's cool when my Sim has a whim to Cry Under the Covers when she's sad. It always makes me feel so bad for her!
    Maybe it's because I'm an adult, but I always catch myself feeling a bit uneasy and suspicious when a grown up writes something like that.
    It just feels like she's only trying to sell me those emotions and nothing else. Maybe that's because I just don't believe they actually play the game for hours and hours like we do and really grow attached to those sims.
    I mean, I also like detailed interactions like this, but I prefer them being presented in a more genuine way.

Personally I think the reason they're so *EMOTIONAL* in regards to selling the emotions in TS4 is they've bit off more than they can chew, emotion tie into pretty much everything people IRL do, and trying to overlay something that complex into a failed online Sims game in such a short time was bound to cause problems with everything else.
    raw
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited July 2014
    Evil_One wrote:
    alan650111 wrote:

Personally I think the reason they're so *EMOTIONAL* in regards to selling the emotions in TS4 is they've bit off more than they can chew, emotion tie into pretty much everything people IRL do, and trying to overlay something that complex into a failed online Sims game in such a short time was bound to cause problems with everything else.
    Good point.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,375 Member
    edited July 2014
    bflury wrote:
    alan650111 wrote:
    You just criticized one of my posts in another thread. Perhaps you have a problem with people enjoying the game because they made a formulated opinion? I really don't understand why it matters so much to you if I am excited about Sims 4?
    Its not that you have an opinion, but that your opinion is so blind to the truth of what is really happening here.

I'm sorry, but you guys crack me up. There is nothing, nothing at all, to justify the release of Sims 4 at this point. Its not a true or worthy successor to the Sims 3, and anyone that believes that either is unaware of whats missing or will buy anything "Sims"...

I am wondering how our opinion of something has anything to do with you? I am wondering in what sense you feel that what we think should matter to you? You must have a highly inflated ego to believe that what others do has such an impact on how you go about your business! It must be very upsetting to you not to be able to control how others feel about something.

You have no basis for the statement you made. You have not played the game! You simply do not know what you are talking about. You are making all kinds of assumptions with no real basis in fact. Until such a time that you have personal knowledge, I suggest you keep your nasty comments to yourself or direct them to EA. This community is a diverse group of people. Each one of us has our own Simming style and our own tastes that dictate what we find acceptable and enjoyable. Each person is different, and just because someone is different than you, does not make them blind or stupid.
    Write a snail mail letter to the CEO of EA and tell him all about it! The address is in my sigy! :wink:

To OP
    I think these things sound really good too. The more I hear about this game, the more it reminds me of The Sims 2, which to me is the best Sims game they ever made. I do hope this game is much more like 2 than 3, which over all, I was fairly unhappy with, at least compared to 1 and 2. Thank you for the info!
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    edited July 2014
    UtaDagda wrote:
    bflury wrote:
    Should they spend all their time recreating everything we had in the sims 3? Because I thought this was a new generation of the sims not a recreation of previous games...
    Wow, this is almost TOO easy.

No, they shouldn't spend all their time recreating the Sims 3. They should use that for a baseline of features though. So if they elect to use a new engine, mostly due to a VERY stupid decision, then they better be able to recreate the baseline feature set.

Period. This is not rocket science. I mean seriously there is NO preorder incentive or reason to be on board at this point. Folks that have preordered today absolutely REFUSE to be wrong and insist they MUST see it for themselves EVEN THOUGH there will be plenty of reviews released on day 1 blasting the game. Its common sense.

If Grand Theft Auto went back to the overmap view from the original I am pretty sure you would get the same response!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This isn't evolution or next generation. This is just, well nothing much at all.

And those explanation points? Looks like throwing a fit to me..

People are wondering why TS4 has no toddlers. I tell you it's because the toddlers escaped to this forum to throw unnecessary fits. :(

Stop, I'm laughing so hard I can't stop.
  • Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    edited July 2014
    Evalen wrote:
    UtaDagda wrote:
    bflury wrote:
    Should they spend all their time recreating everything we had in the sims 3? Because I thought this was a new generation of the sims not a recreation of previous games...
    Wow, this is almost TOO easy.

No, they shouldn't spend all their time recreating the Sims 3. They should use that for a baseline of features though. So if they elect to use a new engine, mostly due to a VERY stupid decision, then they better be able to recreate the baseline feature set.

Period. This is not rocket science. I mean seriously there is NO preorder incentive or reason to be on board at this point. Folks that have preordered today absolutely REFUSE to be wrong and insist they MUST see it for themselves EVEN THOUGH there will be plenty of reviews released on day 1 blasting the game. Its common sense.

If Grand Theft Auto went back to the overmap view from the original I am pretty sure you would get the same response!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This isn't evolution or next generation. This is just, well nothing much at all.

And those explanation points? Looks like throwing a fit to me..

People are wondering why TS4 has no toddlers. I tell you it's because the toddlers escaped to this forum to throw unnecessary fits. :(

Stop, I'm laughing so hard I can't stop.

Do be careful, Evalen, you're bound to get a visit from Grimmy any moment now.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    windweaver wrote:
    bflury wrote:
    alan650111 wrote:
    You just criticized one of my posts in another thread. Perhaps you have a problem with people enjoying the game because they made a formulated opinion? I really don't understand why it matters so much to you if I am excited about Sims 4?
    Its not that you have an opinion, but that your opinion is so blind to the truth of what is really happening here.

I'm sorry, but you guys crack me up. There is nothing, nothing at all, to justify the release of Sims 4 at this point. Its not a true or worthy successor to the Sims 3, and anyone that believes that either is unaware of whats missing or will buy anything "Sims"...

I am wondering how our opinion of something has anything to do with you? I am wondering in what sense you feel that what we think should matter to you? You must have a highly inflated ego to believe that what others do has such an impact on how you go about your business! It must be very upsetting to you not to be able to control how others feel about something.

You have no basis for the statement you made. You have not played the game! You simply do not know what you are talking about. You are making all kinds of assumptions with no real basis in fact. Until such a time that you have personal knowledge, I suggest you keep your nasty comments to yourself or direct them to EA. This community is a diverse group of people. Each one of us has our own Simming style and our own tastes that dictate what we find acceptable and enjoyable. Each person is different, and just because someone is different than you, does not make them blind or stupid.
    Write a snail mail letter to the CEO of EA and tell him all about it! The address is in my sigy! :wink:

To OP
    I think these things sound really good too. The more I hear about this game, the more it reminds me of The Sims 2, which to me is the best Sims game they ever made. I do hope this game is much more like 2 than 3, which over all, I was fairly unhappy with, at least compared to 1 and 2. Thank you for the info!

I agree, don't take it out on simmers who like the game, Go tell EA.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Protest EA, not the Simmers who like the game.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcToJQyDOCrY6jD2y_qCX8YVG6Qz8kXyhodrva0ckaL9wIvs8Mk
  • Options
    elemmeleelemmele Posts: 689 Member
    edited July 2014
    Evalen wrote:

Oooh bless this post

Edit: Whoops! Forgot to say! I haven't heard of "Whims" before. They sound promising! And familiar... Haha, I have whims all the time when I'm feeling overly-emotional. So this makes sense to me! I hope we get to see them in action :D
    de4l47l-8be82ab0-e824-47d8-b89d-e4b317e1e4e7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3sicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvMGE4NDlmM2ItMjBlZC00MzNkLWJkZjQtMzY5YzY0MGVhYzFmXC9kZTRsNDdsLThiZTgyYWIwLWU4MjQtNDdkOC1iODlkLWU0YjMxN2UxZTRlNy5wbmcifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ.mOg5OTH8yLLAb8Swus1BlunSLcRGY3-w29wazeBAu18
  • Options
    windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,375 Member
    edited July 2014
    Evalen wrote:

Great gif Evalen! This needs to be at the top of the forum again! Thank you!
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • Options
    TiabonitaTiabonita Posts: 76 Member
    edited July 2014
    Good morning all! I just finished reading this thread :shock: wow! I really can see the op's point here. Though, I also understand that a lot of you don't agree. I guess it pretty much boils down to what you value most in the game. We all have different tastes and desires. Some love toddlers, some could care less for them, because they don't play them "in game". It's okay to have different ideas.

I think the original point was, are we losing more than we bargained for? None of us really knows this yet because EA has not really been all that forth coming with us. So It's really hard to say just what exactly we will be getting.

I for one, would really like to be sure of "ONE" thing...will it be glitchy? That is my biggie! I have two of my favorite games, Island Paradise and Monte Vista, that I can no longer play. They are broken beyond repair, due to routing issues that EA has not fixed.

There are pages and pages on this forum of people pleading with EA for fixes that are never answered. I just want a game that actually works.

I was able to try out the Sims4Demo. It was fun, but a bit limited on what you could do. I am sure once the game comes out they will have a lot more features you can play with. Hopefully EA will put out a new video of actual game play so we can get a better idea of what Sim4 is really going to be like, I don't think I will be preordering it though, But I will be reading all the reviews :D
  • Options
    MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    edited July 2014
    First off, very interesting stuff about whims. I'd love to see them in action! Looking forwarding to experiencing differences in gameplay.

@tiabonita, What happened to your Monte Vista. Mine has had no problems. As far as glitches ... lord, lord, there have glitches in the games since TS1, and some of them never got fixed by EA; we had to depend on brilliant modders for that. I just found one in Sims 2 Ultimate this morning that I'd entirely forgotten about; I need to try to find that mod again. Anyway, getting a game with no glitches at all seems unlikely. What I'm hoping for is a game that has minimal glitches.
  • Options
    stickykissesstickykisses Posts: 2,039 Member
    edited July 2014
    bflury wrote:
    alan650111 wrote:
    You just don't seem to understand the concept of people liking Sims 4 IN SPITE of certain features not being there. It is not a crime to get excited for this game! The people who are looking forward to the game have read all the news you have and want to buy it still! Anyway, can we please steer this thread back to whims and emotions??? :)
    I'm not angry at the folks who are happy with it as is.

I'm angry with the folks that reply "oh I will buy Sims just because it says Sims". And ALOT of folks have said this! EA has even gone on record saying MOST of you all say this!

When this attitude happens the consumer loses out. I'm only trying to encourage the consumer to stand up to developers! I get that folks may not care about this point or that being removed. I don't take issue with that. But when some respond about how it will be added later OR even worst that it runs better! They JUST DON'T know these things!!! But they post this way ALL THE TIME and just spread misinformation.

Look... I am thrilled you guys are happy with the game as is. But stop encouraging EA and others. Its not right. What EA is doing is clearly rushed. They have ADMITTED IT THEMSELVES multiple times about how they were "short time or resources". They aren't going to get better if you continue to allow such behavior!!!

You are not going to change their minds. Sorry but true. There are fun things about the game and there are crappy things about the game and for everyone buying the game, the fun stuff outweighs the bad. For others, it's the exact opposite, there's too many negatives for this game to be enjoyable and amazingly enough I'm starting to get over wishing this game could be something it's not. That thread the other day where someone asked "why be so angry" was very helpful.

But I also see what you mean about those few who are challenged by reason. But please understand, those few in the clutches of an alternate reality do not relinquish their comfort so easily. Just pointing discrepancies out between their expectations and reality doesn't work, that only makes them angry, they have to see the discrepancy for themselves and they will but then they'll merely adjust their framing of the issue only enough until they are comfortable again. That's how the mind of that kind of person works.

Anyway, not sure if you've noticed the pre-order figures. They seem *really* low to me especially when compared to other games which are further away from release. (Sims 3 sold 1.4 million and I would guess the preorder numbers would be MUCH higher to hit that kind of launch target.) IF it's true that this game isn't selling as well then EA has already gotten the message that something about this series is lacking and long time players have certainly been clear enough where the problem lies. CasT, open world, toddlers, build mode. Those things can't be added later except for a few bits of toddler code. I am sorta predicting there to be a lot fewer expansions this time around and for them to start on 5 much quicker.
  • Options
    Faith12368Faith12368 Posts: 2,997 Member
    edited July 2014
    I have to say this sounds real nice to me. I actually like the emotions aspect, as I believe it adds personality back into the game. Let's face it, S3 had very little personality until recently and even so, it still does not look even close to the level that S4 looks. So this excites me.

By recently playing 2, I am really enjoying the smaller closed neighborhood aspect. Along with the connecting neighborhoods, I think this game looks even better to me.

I have a feeling that they are saving "WOW" for Gamescom, I think preorders will go up. You also have to remember, it really is not fair to stack up console presales to pc presales, console has always been at the top of the gaming food chain, so of course their numbers are going to be higher. Many, many more people have access to consoles than they do comps for gaming. This is MY OPINION. :)
    Long live the new Doctor!
  • Options
    Simmer999Simmer999 Posts: 863 Member
    edited July 2014

How did you manage to get a Sims 4 Sim as your picture? I would love to have one of my Sims 4 CAS Demo Sims be my pic.
  • Options
    SophieDiddleSophieDiddle Posts: 578 Member
    edited July 2014
    bflury wrote:
    alan650111 wrote:

I know what's not in the sims 4 and I don't buy something just because it's the sims, so as I fall into neither of your camps please continue to tell us all how to think.
    Thank God it's not following sims 3, I very often think sims 3 was a bad joke that should never have been told, I'm going to give EA a last chance, if that's ok with you master, and if sims 4 turns out to be as bad as sims 3 I shall give up and return to sims 2 for eternity. Your pushy posts are highly irritating.
  • Options
    MenshleeMenshlee Posts: 219 Member
    edited July 2014
    I think the game sounds and looks great. I realize the game is completely different from the earlier games and it took a little getting used to and adjusting to a new game. Every game was criticized for being different from it's prior game. I'm just choosing to move on and adapt to the new one because in my opinion I'm happy with it.
  • Options
    RawrGoesTheCatRawrGoesTheCat Posts: 1,947 Member
    edited July 2014
    bflury wrote:
    alan650111 wrote:

I'm sorry, but anything is worth successor to Sims 3. Sims 3 was the sequel that wasn't worthy.

Haven't you heard of different opinions? You seem really full of yourself to think that your opinion is above others, just because you don't see the potential in the game doesn't mean others don't. :?
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited July 2014
    Faith12368 wrote:
    I have to say this sounds real nice to me. I actually like the emotions aspect, as I believe it adds personality back into the game. Let's face it, S3 had very little personality until recently and even so, it still does not look even close to the level that S4 looks. So this excites me.

By recently playing 2, I am really enjoying the smaller closed neighborhood aspect. Along with the connecting neighborhoods, I think this game looks even better to me.

I have a feeling that they are saving "WOW" for Gamescom, I think preorders will go up. You also have to remember, it really is not fair to stack up console presales to pc presales, console has always been at the top of the gaming food chain, so of course their numbers are going to be higher. Many, many more people have access to consoles than they do comps for gaming. This is MY OPINION. :)

I agree.

In a way, I feel like they gave everyone The Sims 2 to prove that The Sims franchise doesn't need an open world to be great. What it needs, IMO, are small details and not big gimmicks. Fine, let my Sim be able to be a singer. But throw in the many details that SHOULD be there, and the details that would make the experience purely fun and not grindy. Allow my Sim to run a restaurant, but incorporate many of the features present in Sims 2 Open for Business and go the extra mile to ensure that my vision of my Sim's restaurant actually appears in-game.

This is why I feel pretty confident in The Sims 4. It's not relying on anything extra gimmicky. When I play the game, I hope I'm correct and I can find many little details and surprises in each Sim I create and play.
  • Options
    stickykissesstickykisses Posts: 2,039 Member
    edited July 2014
    Faith12368 wrote:

no that is a very good point, not just your opinion! :D sims is the only pc game on that list I think so yes there's that. And yet EA only cares about the money and money = sales numbers. They sold 1.4 million for sims 3 but right now the preorders are only 90,000 with 8 weeks to launch. Other games with even further away launch dates are getting 40,000 new preorders each week while sims gets 1,700. But I'd like to know what the preorder figures were for sims 3, that would be the real kicker.
  • Options
    ToyoueToyoue Posts: 31 Member
    edited July 2014
    I'd like to step in and remind people that a LOT of players also strongly disliked TS3 when it was first announced/just before it was released, and now nearly everyone who dislikes the idea of TS4 is comparing it to the "awesomeness" that is TS3. This seems to be the continuous cycle of The Sims, as with most games. I can almost guarantee that most of you that don't like it now, will at some point give in and buy it and at least like it to some degree. But coming in on these positive posts and telling everyone who actually LIKES it why you DON'T, isn't likely to change anyone else's feelings and is, in fact, a waste of your time. Thank you.

As for me, I'm really excited about TS4 and am looking forward to the changes made. Truthfully, everything I've learned so far has made up for the lack of a few features. Especially pools, which are very likely to be added in a future EP or patch (and possibly toddlers, as well). Whims that actually serve a purpose are one of many features of TS4 that get me really pumped up for the release. I can't wait!
  • Options
    SophieDiddleSophieDiddle Posts: 578 Member
    edited July 2014
    Sk8rblaze wrote:

I agree.

In a way, I feel like they gave everyone The Sims 2 to prove that The Sims franchise doesn't need an open world to be great. What it needs, IMO, are small details and not big gimmicks. Fine, let my Sim be able to be a singer. But throw in the many details that SHOULD be there, and the details that would make the experience purely fun and not grindy. Allow my Sim to run a restaurant, but incorporate many of the features present in Sims 2 Open for Business and go the extra mile to ensure that my vision of my Sim's restaurant actually appears in-game.

This is why I feel pretty confident in The Sims 4. It's not relying on anything extra gimmicky. When I play the game, I hope I'm correct and I can find many little details and surprises in each Sim I create and play. [/quote]

You pretty much just expressed my thoughts better than I could. Smart move by EA (shocker!!!) to give people the sims 2 right now, seriously smart. (Sorry I fudged the quotes and don't know how to fix it xD)
  • Options
    Simmer999Simmer999 Posts: 863 Member
    edited July 2014
    I think that everyone should:
    1. Breathe in
    2. Breathe out
    3. Talk about new tidbits about whims.
  • Options
    ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    edited July 2014
    Sk8rblaze wrote:
    Faith12368 wrote:

I agree.

This is why I feel pretty confident in The Sims 4. It's not relying on anything extra gimmicky. When I play the game, I hope I'm correct and I can find many little details and surprises in each Sim I create and play.

I also think this is part of the reason they've been giving TS2 to people. My newly created family in TS2 had a father and mother that were completely in love with each other as soon as I started. Heck, I looked away for a minute to watch their child and when I went back, they were slow dancing in the bathroom followed by a kiss. It was incredibly sweet. I gave away my copy of TS2 so long before getting TS3 that I'd forgotten all the little things that made it feel more alive.

But, I will mention that I killed off the mom (I had a particular story line in mind)and though the dad and son wept while she was dying, as soon as Grimmy showed up and father pled for her life, the son turned around, pulled out a jump rope and started playing. :? That's the kind of thing I think we won't see in TS4.
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • Options
    SincerboxSincerbox Posts: 2,279 Member
    edited July 2014
    bflury wrote:
    I_am_bean wrote:
    28053e68124984203cab52c238c0dbe62225a9c473a81b281aa0046ae2e4897f.jpg
    Because my opinion doesn't agree with yours, that makes me a troll? I am not intentional trying to cause trouble, I haven't been rude, nor have I used foul language.

You haven't been rude? Go back and read your first reply to the OP. If you haven't been rude your Mother never taught you any manners. In what way did your first reply offer anything constructive to the conversation? In what way was it not a direct insult to the OP? Have you ever heard if you have nothing good to say say nothing at all?

In what possible manner has every single one of your posts been not about everything you hate about the game and if everyone else doesn't agree with you they are just flat wrong and you clearly plan to follow them around from thread to thread telling them how wrong they are.

How is that not a troll? :roll:

I think the whims are an alternate form of wishes. I read they cannot be locked. Don't know if there are any rewards for fulfilling them or not a la TS3. They may just be more fleshing out of the emotion system giving story line depth to the game. I'm also looking forward to how these memories come into play and how long memories last.
    Origin ID: Barbara917