Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What do you think of The Sims 4 graphics?

Comments

• Options
    jordan4240jordan4240 Posts: 172 New Member
    edited July 2014
    I personally do not like the CC skins or hair for TS3, they look too anime-y if you will lol. I like quite a few male hairs though. Every sim with CC you posted look exactly the same. I love TS4 sims, and absolutely love the clothes. The clothes look better than TS3 clothes ever did, not just style wise but they actually look like they FIT. I'm not too sure about gameplay for TS4, as we haven't seen much of that yet but I am absolutely loving what CAS has to offer.
  • Options
    EatCheesEatChees Posts: 1,378 Member
    edited July 2014
    I don't see why everyone has an issue with sims 3 sims with CC. Sims 4 sims do look good in the way of facial proportions and realism of bone structure, but the textures are very plastic looking. Making pretty, realistic sims in sims 3 with CC isn't that hard. You just need patience when making the face. The default sims in sims 3 have very big eyes and smooth faces, but that can be helped when you take your time. Here are some examples of my sims 3 sims with CC:

Screenshot-1935.jpg

Screenshot-1542.jpg

Screenshot-1352.jpg

Screenshot-832.jpg

Screenshot-1246.jpg

I use deafult replacemnt texture overlays for the face and body to get rid of the smooth barbie look so many dread. It adds pores to the skin and more realistic body features.

The problems I have with sims 4 sims is that I was expecting MUCH more from them this time around texture and hair wise, and we didn't get much of change. Number 2 the sims 4 sims would be great bases for CC but the environment wouldn't allow for realism to be added, simply because realistic sims would look super stupid in a plastic fisher-price world which cannot be altered easily. Sims 3's worlds I thought were stunning and had more in the realism department.

Screenshot-3813.jpg

Screenshot-2132.jpg

Screenshot-2031.jpg

I'm just not really fan of the art direction as a whole really. But the sims 4 sims do look nice aside from the hair and textures. At least in my opinion.
    Sig.png
  • Options
    alyssasim87alyssasim87 Posts: 1,277 Member
    edited July 2014
    I think its more fair to compare the sims 3 base game sims with the sims 4. Sure with all the cc of course 3 sims looks better. But I think that the base game sims from 3 were ok. As for the sims 4 ones I think they look good for being base game sims. I know its more cartoony but I like it.
    my origin id is simkitten87

Im a simmer forever <3
  • Options
    kirby356kirby356 Posts: 4,607 Member
    edited July 2014
    This thread is nearly a year old. It died, and someone bumped it. It's time to bury it again.
  • Options
    adventfearadventfear Posts: 1,766 Member
    edited July 2014
    kirby356 wrote:
    This thread is nearly a year old. It died, and someone bumped it. It's time to bury it again.

I didn't even bother to look at the dates when I posted my reply.

:P
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    kirby356 wrote:

Didn't even look at the dates lol. No harm done though.
    Sig.png
  • Options
    Kamb64Kamb64 Posts: 2,546 Member
    edited July 2014
    EatChees-Hunky Mohawk guy is all kinds of delicious!!!
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Kamb64 wrote:
    EatChees-Hunky Mohawk guy is all kinds of delicious!!!

Haha Thanks! Glad you like him! :mrgreen:
    Sig.png
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,675 Member
    edited July 2014
    If people can make mods and make it better, imagine what a multi-billion dollar company like EA could make? They can make it better than what they did.

Hm, have you ever realized that the major thing with the Sims series is the community, and how we all can create stuff, using new CC, tweaking most aspects of the game in different directions?

I think that if EA made the game perfect in the eyes of 20% of this community, and removed the creative CC aspects, the series would flop. Easily.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    If people can make mods and make it better, imagine what a multi-billion dollar company like EA could make? They can make it better than what they did.

Hm, have you ever realized that the major thing with the Sims series is the community, and how we all can create stuff, using new CC, tweaking most aspects of the game in different directions?

I think that if EA made the game perfect in the eyes of 20% of this community, and removed the creative CC aspects, the series would flop. Easily.

People will always find way to change or make things better. EA delivering a quality product with all the thing it should have won't stop people from modding or adding to the game.

Just because they make a game good doesn't mean we will lose the capacity to add CC.
    Sig.png
  • Options
    mr014mr014 Posts: 1,648 Member
    edited July 2014
    The graphics of TS4 are definitely higher in quality than the TS3 graphics.

However, they have gone with a new, different art style this time - stylized, and more simplistic and less detailed looking.

My opinion is that the new art style, the new look, fits the Sims franchise very well so.
  • Options
    vesvezDatvesvezDat Posts: 491 Member
    edited July 2014
    Of course Sims 3 graphics are better. Even with CC , the cartoony Sims 4 will remain cartoony. And it's not just the textures,,, the actual bodies of Sims 4 are cartoony and unrealistic. Their faces are over the top emotional but in a fake way, it's not even real emotions. It's more like Sponge Bob square pants type of emotions.

• Options
    Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    edited July 2014
    I don't care about TS4 Sims vs. those from TS2 or TS3. It's 2014 and I expected much better graphics in general.

I'd sum up the TS4 look by saying Barbie/Disney/Lego/Fisher-Price. Or in one word, plastic.
  • Options
    mwdonohuemwdonohue Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited July 2014
    I enjoy the sims 4 graphics. I like the cartoony style. I know that the ones you posted on the right definitely have cc in them but if I were to compare the graphics to ts3 without cc, I like ts4 better. I don't know why. It just appeals to me more.
  • Options
    Phish2Phish2 Posts: 154 Member
    edited July 2014
    Why show a comparison with CC of TS3 and TS4 sims without?

I think TS3 sims with the CC skins creep me out to be honest and still look fake.
  • Options
    JeanBaby4JeanBaby4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    edited July 2014
    Sims 4 graphics looks great! Much better then sims3.
  • Options
    Elf67Elf67 Posts: 1,198 Member
    edited July 2014
    They suck! If I want to see claymation people, I'll watch an old Christmas cartoon! Sims 4 people look cartoony and plastic. Yuck!
  • Options
    Vilin213923Vilin213923 Posts: 519 New Member
    edited July 2014
    Custom skins always creep me out in this franchise to be honest. The graphics are better quality- oh wait you mean art style.
    It gets really irritating when you confuse them but I'm going to take a little rant.
    If the sims looked realistic and we could see their individual pores, it would be wasted and from screenshots would float away into the mass of heavily detailed game that don't stand out from each other. The Sims is quirky, it is game without equal and to make sure it stays that way, it has a unique art style.
    They haven't taken away Custom Content, that'll be around until the end of the series (and people will still make it after that.)
    What OP wanted is a very small minority (yes I think the hair looks like play-dough but I'll live)
  • Options
    jessicajade34jessicajade34 Posts: 95 Member
    edited July 2014
    Ignoring the unfair comparison between vanilla TS4 sims and the TS3 sims that are covered in CC, I think the art style for TS4 is great, but the graphics could be a little better. It's overall better looking than base game TS3, though, in my opinion.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    edited July 2014
    Old thread, but having a CAS demo and seeing graphics that aren't compressed does give more fuel for the fire. Yet, even though I have the sims in CAS, that's no guarantee for me that they will look the same in the game, like TS3. I don't think it will be as dramatic a change as TS3 sims in the sim world.

They are still a little too cartoonish for me as I like to bend the game towards realism. That's been a tricky balance, but this cartoonish style makes bending it towards realism harder.

There is also the high color saturation. It does make things look pretty, but I just want to turn the vibrancy down a notch.
    YTo2OntzOjI6ImlkIjtpOjk1ODY0MTtzOjE6InciO2k6OTU4O3M6MToiaCI7aTo1Mzg7czoxOiJjIjtpOjA7czoxOiJzIjtpOjE7czoxOiJrIjtzOjQwOiJhNWVmZjIzYzY5MmUz.png

This is a little too much desaturation, but is shows the level of green I would prefer. It's not burning my eyes. :-)
    I can adjust the color level of my graphics card to get what I want.
    desaturated.jpg

The sims are growing on me.
    I am still not crazy about the hair, but they seem to have improved since they were first revealed.
    TS4CAS2014-07-1313-50-48-45.png

I do like the sense of thickness of TS4 hair, but it's lacking a feeling of being made up individual hair strands. There need to be some loose individual hairs. CC hair can be too stringy. It would be nice if a EA or modder can find a nice hybrid that delivers the best of both.
    TS4CAS2014-07-1207-05-44-67.png

On average, I like the TS4 sims more than TS3 sims, but I like my CC TS3 sims more than TS4 sims so far. That will most likely change when TS4 has CC. I am finding the facial animations annoying. They are too exaggerated. They twist the look of your sim so much that they don't look like themselves once in a while, some sims more than others.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    edited July 2014
    Do you think it's an upgrade or downgrade?
    Look at this comparison.
    The Sims 4 vs The Sims 3 with skins.
    5f4191.jpg

It's not an unfair comparison. I just want people to see the difference of quality. Some people get blinded or just because it's "NEW" doesn't mean it's better right away. EA/Maxis should look at how people do it and make it better. Not downgrade to cartoonish alpha 3D. If you want to spend $70 dollars, go ahead. I'm not buying it unless they listen to the fans. If people can make mods and make it better, imagine what a multi-billion dollar company like EA could make? They can make it better than what they did. They just want to make The Sims 4 cheap and fast to make money. The Sims 4 base game is $70, I could only imagine how much the expansion packs and stuff packs will be.

Sims 3, never looked like those sims you are showing, they are all mods.
    Sims 4 look much better then the real sims 3 sims. I don't want my sims to look like models or sex symbols, My sims are just everyday sims, I do not see even live people in my daily life that look that way.
    give me the regular Sims any day. Not sure how you play your game, but those sims would not fit into my sims world.
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    edited July 2014
    It looks like an old cartoon
    Jimmy Neutron
    Cast-of-the-adventures-of-jimmy-neutron-boy-genius-5_zpscebce50c.jpg
    Cindy_Libby_laughing_by_Rikusbrother_zps71abd1f1.jpg
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2014
    06Bon06 wrote:
    It looks like an old cartoon
    Jimmy Neutron
    Cast-of-the-adventures-of-jimmy-neutron-boy-genius-5_zpscebce50c.jpg
    Cindy_Libby_laughing_by_Rikusbrother_zps71abd1f1.jpg

Hey now! That's not old! I still watch it! :P And the reason I spit coffee all over my screen one day when someone posted one of the selfie pics of TS4 and mentioned the redheads hair do was Jimmy Neutron! Wow, I really could see the resemblance for sure! :P :wink::lol:
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    paulmcbeardypaulmcbeardy Posts: 70 Member
    edited July 2014
    MilenyNoda wrote:
    How about this SimsCollage_zps8974814d.png
    This comparison makes much more sense than the one in the OP. Comparing base game to base game, without any CC - just the basic design of the Sims. There is a definite progression in the graphics. Although TS4 Sims are more stylized, they are also more realistic in some ways, because they are all so different and unique-looking.

To me, TS2 Sims were unbearable without CC; TS3 Sims were tolerable (they look better with a little bit but not as much as OP's pic); and TS4 Sims are nice enough without custom content that I could play without it if I had to. (The hair and clothes still leave much to be desired, though, haha.) At first I didn't like the new art style, but it's really grown on me. I love it so much that it surpasses TS3's graphics for me. However, we still haven't seen gameplay and I have a bad feeling TS4 just isn't going to be as good in that department. I wish I could have a game that merges TS4's CAS with TS3's gameplay.

Some people argue that since the players can make TS3 Sims like the ones in the original post, TS4's game devs should be capable of doing something similar. I think they very well could, but that's just not the direction The Sims franchise should go in. I don't think most players want that. I know I wouldn't like it if base game Sims looked ultra-realistic like that. That's the thing, they're a base to work off of - if you want your Sims to look like that, there's an awesome modding community who can give that to you. I think TS4 Sims will be able to look very realistic with CC. But the game shouldn't just come with Sims looking that way.
  • Options
    MenshleeMenshlee Posts: 219 Member
    edited July 2014
    I think sims 4 looks better. I found that all the sims in the sims 3 looked too much alike. The sims 4 gives you a lot more diversity. I hate cc anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top