Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

SimGuru Graham on load times! *NEW*

Comments

• Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    edited June 2014
    EduSim wrote:
    alan650111 wrote:
    People can't seriously complain that they decided to not update their computer in like 7 years or more and expect it to be EA's fault that their game does not run faster.
    Lot of the things cut were made to benefit those with low computer... So this is contradictory.

That isn't contradictory because if you have a better computer you will experience better loading times with the same game. For example, somebody with a 1.5Ghz processor and like 2gb memory and somebody with a 3.5gh computer and 8gb memory with Sims 4 would have different gaming experiences. The game will definitely load faster for the latter. Updating your computer makes it faster. It is logical. I know everybody can't afford to do this but these are just facts.

• Options
    MoonbarkerMoonbarker Posts: 1,281 Member
    edited June 2014
    Alysha1988 wrote:
    EatChees wrote:
    kovu0207 wrote:
    I'm not sure how they can say that load times will be shorter than 30 seconds, surely load times depend on each player's computer?

This is true. You can't just say that load time will be 30 seconds for everybody. And knowing EA the load time will get sluggishly long the longer you play your save game.

... And how exactly is that EA's fault? It's only common sense to know that the more memory a game has, the longer it's going to take to load... that has nothing to do with EA... it's all games that do this... especially when the game takes up a lot of memory to begin with. It seems to me that you're just trying to find a way to hate EA.

It is EA's fault that they initially started designing ts4 as an MMO and then scrapped it a few years in only to try to salvage the remnants and turn it into an offline single player game thus cutting the allotted development time in half. That is why we are getting a closed world with no customization options. Had they given themselves enough time to do this project right I'm sure we'd be seeing an improved and much better functioning open world with a single loading screen to get into the game.

^This. So much this.
  • Options
    colton147colton147 Posts: 9,663 Member
    edited June 2014
    EatChees wrote:
    kovu0207 wrote:
    I'm not sure how they can say that load times will be shorter than 30 seconds, surely load times depend on each player's computer?

This is true. You can't just say that load time will be 30 seconds for everybody. And knowing EA the load time will get sluggishly long the longer you play your save game.

It all depends on everyone's computer.

I have all expansions and four stuff packs and all loading screens are only a couple seconds. The only loading screen that takes awhile is Bridgeport, but that only takes two minutes. I am not a city-type of Simmer, so I don't play in Bridgeport often. :P
  • Options
    dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    edited June 2014
    EduSim wrote:
    alan650111 wrote:
    People can't seriously complain that they decided to not update their computer in like 7 years or more and expect it to be EA's fault that their game does not run faster.
    Lot of the things cut were made to benefit those with low computer... So this is contradictory.

There's a difference between lower end and old though. Computer technology is rapidly changing. Even a really good 7 year old computer is not comparable to a low end computer now. Computer technology has changed a heck of a lot in that time, it improves every few months. So it's not reasonable to expect that the game would run fast on a 7 year old computer. A couple years old sure, or on relatively new lower end computer. Their point is valid.
  • Options
    MoonbarkerMoonbarker Posts: 1,281 Member
    edited June 2014
    EduSim wrote:
    alan650111 wrote:

No, the things that were cut were made because of the game originally going to be an MMO until they scrapped it. Them saying that they're trying to "make the game accessible to as many people as possible" is only an excuse they made.
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    edited June 2014
    dreamerz13 wrote:
    EduSim wrote:
    alan650111 wrote:

There's a difference between lower end and old though. Computer technology is rapidly changing. Even a really good 7 year old computer is not comparable to a low end computer now. Computer technology has changed a heck of a lot in that time, it improves every few months. So it's not reasonable to expect that the game would run fast on a 7 year old computer. A couple years old sure, or on relatively new lower end computer. Their point is valid.

Thank you. Once again I understand that computer parts are expensive and not everyone can afford it. I just wish people would think logically when it came to this stuff. This is something EA is not to blame for when thinking of something to find fault with about the game. I am not being some cheerleader for the company but just stating cold hard facts about technology! :)
  • Options
    emma7863emma7863 Posts: 118 New Member
    edited June 2014
    deibreak wrote:
    SimGuru Graham has talked about load times and has confirmed that E3 load times weren't accurate and the game loads are under 30 seconds.
    @miabrown120 Much shorter than TS3. Much shorter than 1 minute. Shorter than 30 seconds; the E3 build did not represent accurate load times.

*sigh* they're trying really hard to sell this game now, aren't they? It's almost comical.

Oh yeah, Graham, you got me convinced now!! :lol:
  • Options
    kovu0207kovu0207 Posts: 6,209 Member
    edited June 2014
    I am not saying it's EAs fault, however Graham could have said

Much shorter than TS3. Much shorter than 1 minute. Shorter than 30 seconds on my computer; the E3 build did not represent accurate load times.

Rather than presenting the less than 30 seconds as a fact
    kovu0207ver2.jpg
  • Options
    DillynJamesDillynJames Posts: 551 Member
    edited June 2014
    I am not too worried about the loading screens. I re-installed The Sims 2 on my laptop in 2012 and had every expansion and stuff pack and loading screens still were under a minute. I have said it before, but technology has changed, even since the release of The Sims 3 in 2009. I think even with all inevitable expansions installed for the Sims 4 that the loading screens wont be too long. Just my thought, though.
    modthesims.info/member.php?u=8889989 320k downloads on ModTheSims; CarlDillynson
  • Options
    Callum9432Callum9432 Posts: 6,462 Member
    edited June 2014
    TS2 is 10 years old, of course the loading screens will be fast now. But when it was actually TS2's time, they were much longer. The same will apply for TS4.
  • Options
    cheapcheapbirdiecheapcheapbirdie Posts: 397 New Member
    edited June 2014
    Halle_M wrote:
    Does Graham have an estimate for what load times will be with 11 expansions, 8 stuff packs and store content in the game?

... and possible glitches :wink:
  • Options
    DillynJamesDillynJames Posts: 551 Member
    edited June 2014
    Callum9432 wrote:
    TS2 is 10 years old, of course the loading screens will be fast now. But when it was actually TS2's time, they were much longer. The same will apply for TS4.

I don't believe it will apply for the Sims 4. I get what you are saying, though. But Sims 2 was designed for high end computers at that time. This game isn't (Or so they say). Honestly, I guess we won't really know for sure how long the loading screens will take until we get to that point where a few expansion are released.
    modthesims.info/member.php?u=8889989 320k downloads on ModTheSims; CarlDillynson
  • Options
    deibreakdeibreak Posts: 386 Member
    edited June 2014
    Damienf519 wrote:
    Deibreak,

This is really nice to hear. It will give people more time to play the game, instead of waiting for everything to load.

I think so too.
    I know everyone is saying that loads will depend on the individual which is true to a degree, your computer can help or hurt load times. I plan on upgrading my hard drive to an ssd or at least an sshd. The sims 3 load times aren't the same as the ones in ts4, they are loading the whole world not just the active lot. The person asking the question, asked about load times in comparison to the sims 3 and that's why Graham said much shorter. I'm pretty sure they actually loading of the whole game will take longer than the in game loading Graham is mentioning.

I think that this just gives us an idea of what the average in-game load time is for the base game. I thought it was interesting piece of information and wanted to share, take from it what you will.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Good news: Load times under 30 seconds.
    Bad news: You will experience a loading screen any time you move your sim from one area of town to the next or if you try to toggle between members of your family in different parts of time.

So what they lack in endurance they make up for in frequency.

:wink:
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Alysha1988 wrote:
    EatChees wrote:
    kovu0207 wrote:

... And how exactly is that EA's fault? It's only common sense to know that the more memory a game has, the longer it's going to take to load... that has nothing to do with EA... it's all games that do this... especially when the game takes up a lot of memory to begin with. It seems to me that you're just trying to find a way to hate EA.

It is EA's fault that they initially started designing ts4 as an MMO and then scrapped it a few years in only to try to salvage the remnants and turn it into an offline single player game thus cutting the allotted development time in half. That is why we are getting a closed world with no customization options. Had they given themselves enough time to do this project right I'm sure we'd be seeing an improved and much better functioning open world with a single loading screen to get into the game.

No.. you mean we'd actually see TS4 :lol:
  • Options
    Callum9432Callum9432 Posts: 6,462 Member
    edited June 2014
    Callum9432 wrote:

I don't believe it will apply for the Sims 4. I get what you are saying, though. But Sims 2 was designed for high end computers at that time. This game isn't (Or so they say). Honestly, I guess we won't really know for sure how long the loading screens will take until we get to that point where a few expansion are released.
    Unfortunately, Grant said a few days ago on Twitter that he would expect loading times to increase with EPs.
  • Options
    snurflessnurfles Posts: 3,640 Member
    edited June 2014
    Really, who coaches the gurus on what to say? It's ridiculous to promise loading times for all the reasons already mentioned. The gurus are supposed to be the face of Sims 4 and all this confusion and backsliding is putting such a damper on the upcoming release.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    alan650111 wrote:
    EatChees wrote:
    kovu0207 wrote:

I completely agree with you. There is blind rage towards EA and it is making this forum such a negative place to be. There are people that need to realize a computer has to be updated every few years to keep up with gaming technology. Other gamers realize this much. Sims is the only franchise that strives to stay running better on older technology and that is great so people should be happy about this aspect of the franchise but I really hope by the time Sims 5 rolls around that people aren't trying to use their 1998 pentium processor and getting angry at EA if it doesn't play perfectly!!!!

Do you realize what you're saying? Or maybe you're just having a hard time relaying it.. ok. We can say the same of others.. having a blind awe for EA "and it is making this forum such a negative place to be".

Second, EA is the one who claimed to have made the game limited for the benefit of allowing people with lower end machines play the game... So wouldn't it make sense to follow through with this on all levels of the creation?? We aren't the ones who said that, or asked for it... they were. I have a very high end gaming machine (arguably of course).. I would have LOVED to have seen them take the game to the max, but... as THEY said.. they wanted to make the game play good for lower end machines. So.. :roll:

• Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    edited June 2014
    I don't understand how they compare the loading time of Sims 3 with all the expansion packs and a game that loads the entire neighborhood to a new game ,stripped of basics, that loads 5 lots.

I'd be very concerned if it took the same time as Sims 3 :lol::lol:

I believe it is also important to remember that they probably run the games on fairly good computers, since they wanted to market it to lower-end machines, it will take much longer on them.
  • Options
    Halle_MHalle_M Posts: 6,539 Member
    edited June 2014
    06Bon06 wrote:
    I believe it is also important to remember that they probably run the games on fairly good computers, since they wanted to market it to lower-end machines, it will take much longer on them.

Yeah! It's not like they're running this game on Mom's crappy old basement computer. They probably have top-of-the-line Alienware or something.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Moonbarker wrote:
    EduSim wrote:
    alan650111 wrote:

No, the things that were cut were made because of the game originally going to be an MMO until they scrapped it. Them saying that they're trying to "make the game accessible to as many people as possible" is only an excuse they made.

I am backing you, just wanted to say this since I made a similar post regarding this contradiction... We know the real reason, but in the spirit of "playing along" with the excuse.. it's a contradiction to their own logic and reason.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited June 2014
    Callum9432 wrote:

I agree with you. When I first got TS2, I was still using a machine from 2001. I was barely meeting the processor requirements. I had to wait until Pets to upgrade. Those loading times took forever. However, even today on a much better machine ten years later, It is faster, but I must remember to save since TS2 and all EPs etc., require more RAM than it did in the beginning without them. This actually means nothing to me, because I know better. Even TS3 just to load the game with no CC still gives me time to take a bathroom break, even on a better machine since it is a 32bit game and I haven't expanded my memory on this one from 4gbs because I don't play TS3 that much.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    pageybearpageybear Posts: 180 Member
    edited June 2014
    kovu0207 wrote:

Yea that sounds right to me as well...
  • Options
    AmouraBAmouraB Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited June 2014
    Or maybe it WILL take only one minute or less...30 seconds or whatever it is NONE of us will never know until we play the game and find out at that point :thumbup: and those who have made a demand that they will NOT be buying the game it shouldn't matter if it takes 30 seconds or 30 mins because they WILL NOT be playing anyway so it's no worries to them it should only matter to those that ARE buying the game....However I'm sure we all will say what we feel JUST TO BE HEARD so continue on because everyone is entitled to HIS OR HER own opinion ......right??

what's so funny is this "everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion" oh my, I'm sure that statement or something close to that was said in these forums a million times wow.."opinion" that word wins the award for the one word that is said everyday and over a million times a month on the forums...CONGRATULATIONS