Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

PETITIONS TO DELAY WON'T WORK

Firstly, this is strictly my opinion, so be respectful and act like you're old enough to use the internet.

These petitions to delay the game won't work.

Why? Simply because you're asking EA to delay the time in which they will receive revenue (money). Now do you think that a company that has been suffering financial losses will allow this to happen? The only way that you're going to get your point across is to NOT BUY THE GAME because for all EA know, 75% of these people who have signed the petition are going to buy the game regardless (in the consumer world this is called "brand loyalty" not "buying anything with Sims on it" or "throwing EA money").

Now if the game is really a piece of crud then sales figures will show that and if you are really angry with what you're hearing about the game, then don't buy it on release. Wait a few days, read the reviews and decide for yourself.

A good example of this is SimCity.

While the game initially sold well, the backlash was huge. Now, just over a year later and the series seems to be on a hiatus again. There's been no DLC for almost a year or even expansion rumours which makes me think that this game isn't making money otherwise we'd be hearing SimCity this or SimCity that.

To me, SimCity is beyond repair which is why i think it has died quietly where The Sims 4 on the other hand, we know that our disappointments can be fixed through patches and expansions. We've been told this and we know from past games. TS4 is an EA cash cow and they'll only notice that something's wrong when the cash cow starts to dry up.

Comments

• Options
    SincerboxSincerbox Posts: 2,279 Member
    edited June 2014
    Firstly, this is strictly my opinion, so be respectful and act like you're old enough to use the internet.

Why? Simply because you're asking EA to delay the time in which they will receive revenue (money). Now do you think that a company that has been suffering financial losses will allow this to happen? The only way that you're going to get your point across is to NOT BUY THE GAME because for all EA know, 75% of these people who have signed the petition are going to buy the game regardless (in the consumer world this is called "brand loyalty" not "buying anything with Sims on it" or "throwing EA money").

Now if the game is really a piece of crud then sales figures will show that and if you are really angry with what you're hearing about the game, then don't buy it on release. Wait a few days, read the reviews and decide for yourself.

While the game initially sold well, the backlash was huge. Now, just over a year later and the series seems to be on a hiatus again. There's been no DLC for almost a year or even expansion rumours which makes me think that this game isn't making money otherwise we'd be hearing SimCity this or SimCity that.

To me, SimCity is beyond repair which is why i think it has died quietly where The Sims 4 on the other hand, we know that our disappointments can be fixed through patches and expansions. We've been told this and we know from past games. TS4 is an EA cash cow and they'll only notice that something's wrong when the cash cow starts to dry up.

I agree with your post 100%. I fear a replay of what happened with SimCity. I think brand loyalty will generate enough pre-sales and initial release sales to keep things going but I am very concerned for some sort of nuclear melt-down like happened with SimCity.

I am quite cynical about the decision of EA to finally "listen" to its SimCity customers and patch in the ability to play it offline. It wasn't done to give the customers what they want. It was done as a pre-cursor for eliminating the online servers of the game. Those servers cost money if the game isn't generating any revenue to support them.

I very much fear we might be looking at the initial death throws of The Sims franchise as well.
    Origin ID: Barbara917
  • Options
    cameronw209cameronw209 Posts: 1,497 Member
    edited June 2014
    Sincerbox wrote:
    I agree with your post 100%. I fear a replay of what happened with SimCity. I think brand loyalty will generate enough pre-sales and initial release sales to keep things going but I am very concerned for some sort of nuclear melt-down like happened with SimCity.

I am quite cynical about the decision of EA to finally "listen" to its SimCity customers and patch in the ability to play it offline. It wasn't done to give the customers what they want. It was done as a pre-cursor for eliminating the online servers of the game. Those servers cost money if the game isn't generating any revenue to support them.

I very much fear we might be looking at the initial death throws of The Sims franchise as well.

I agree. The offline patch came way too late. It should have been their #1 priority.

If TS4 does happen to spell the end of the franchise then so be it. I told myself that I would buy TS4 as it would be a "last chance" as such considering that I thought TS3 was a big disappointment and the SimCity fiasco of last year. I don't know if I can take anymore blows from EA (that is my brand loyalty talking considering the first computer game I owned was Sim Earth).
  • Options
    mmoblitzmmoblitz Posts: 479 Member
    edited June 2014
    I agree fully. If EA wants to keep the fan base it has, it really needs to do some damage control. A great first step would be for the CEO to hold a small press conference and be upfront about the sims 4 and where it stands today. Apologize to the fans for their failed attempt at making this an online game. (I know it wasn't his idea, but it's his problem now). Let people know that they have an investor mandated deadline and they cannot get the game to where they would like it to be before release.

I would then announce that they are cutting the price of the base game and will add the other content that they wanted to have in it, in various EP/SP at a later date. For those that who already pre-ordered, have them cancel it and buy at the new price or keep it and have the difference applied to their account for use on store or other EP/SP as they become available.

I think the above would go a long ways in getting the trust/faith back and show that they really do respect the fan base. Will any of this happen? Most likely not. Doing that would mean they admit to screwing things up and that isn't something EA is known for apologizing for.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    mmoblitz wrote:
    Doing that would mean they admit to screwing things up and that isn't something EA is known for apologizing for.

Yeah. The only exception I know of was the SimCity debacle. Heads rolled on that one. I got a free Plants vs Zombies game as a lame apology for my pre-order. I had some fun playing it when they finally got the servers working but ultimately abandoned it in frustration because of the typical problem with most of their games these days. Too many bugs killing the game experience.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    ....Duh! Technical difficuties... :oops:
  • Options
    cameronw209cameronw209 Posts: 1,497 Member
    edited June 2014
    Sincerbox wrote:
    mmoblitz wrote:
    Doing that would mean they admit to screwing things up and that isn't something EA is known for apologizing for.

Yeah. The only exception I know of was the SimCity debacle. Heads rolled on that one. I got a free Plants vs Zombies game as a lame apology for my pre-order. I had some fun playing it when they finally got the servers working but ultimately abandoned it in frustration because of the typical problem with most of their games these days. Too many bugs killing the game experience.

Yes, too many bugs and the ridiculously small maps.
  • Options
    LovenVincentLovenVincent Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited June 2014

Correction,there are MANY ways to get this point across but some seem bent on just one of those. I do not care about or for Simcity,so that will not be applied to me here but here is how i feel on your topic and as you said,i will be very honest and respectful about it.
    You are correct that a demand for delay will NOT work and nor will many of the other petitions on the forum. On one hand you have the majority claiming EA as money hungry pigs but then in the same breath claim that EA WILL forsake money profits to make them happy. It is one or the other. Then on the other,you have some that say in one breath that EA WILL add something they want while EA says they do not have the time. Which one is it? Now,knowing BOTH those points- we have a few choices to us. 1) completely ignore both facts and mindlessly keep screaming for something we know will never happen and telling EA to stop being greedy when their greedy and still not getting anything out of it. In other words,not only looking like fools but wasting our energy. OR we go with THEIR flow and demand in ways that we KNOW will work in our favor. cutting all losses to them will ONLY destroy the sims franchise and future titles. In order to get ANYTHING from them is to demand that they have their time (because we know the shareholders want it out) BUT demand we get our content in ways that we KNOW they can do,will have time to do and resources. We can do this by demanding for patchs,EP's with the content WE want (for starters) I mean come on,we are in other words,promising them MORE sales with the EP's we want/content. how are they NOT going to listen? In other words, we can either us our voices (which seem to be mute since they only care about money) OR we can use money to get the content we want back. or we can just ruin the entire franchise all together..*shrugs*
    0sig_YunaTidus_animated.gif

Origin: Damian_Nyx
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    ... and the ridiculously small maps.

I see that disastrous design choice being repeated in this game. Instead of allowing players to build a huge sprawling city on one map they chose to "allow" the player "to sprawl out" through building inter-dependent/inter-connected cities within a larger region. Sound familiar? No open world. Smaller more intimate neighborhoods inter-connected in a larger world.
  • Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    edited June 2014
    They have put so much time into this turkey, they will put it out no matter what. It would take too much time to scrap this thing and start over, so they hope you won't see the man behind the curtain.
  • Options
    wmissie0925wmissie0925 Posts: 310 Member
    edited June 2014
    I agree it's too late for the petition to work. But, it does give EA a solid number of how many people are infuriated with their behavior.
  • Options
    Nik24X7Nik24X7 Posts: 7,865 Member
    edited June 2014
    The only thing that a petition could serve is if EA decides that they cannot meet the September 2nd date. If they end up delaying it at the last minute (i.e. can't go Gold), then they can cite that the fans asked them to delay it as a means of saving face. They won't have to admit the real reasons for the delay.
    Origin ID: nik24x7
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited June 2014
    OP, this is the difference between you and me as an EA customer. I don't 'expect' I need a patch, ever. Do it right the first time. We have grown so used to EA having to patch The Sims (look how many TS3 does have and still not fixed) that it has become the status quo with players. I buy, and expect no patches ever. They should spend more time beta testing everything they do. I know plenty of other game of sorts that never, ever need a patch. Or if they do it's only one. But 'patches' should be the moto of EA Games.

I think your argument saying we all know this can all be fixed up with patches etc. is sad. A game should never, ever need one when EA gives people time to actually make a completely fully fleshed out core and gives people time to actually beta test. My standards are increasing with each year with EA, I expect excellence at the start, and it's sad players have accepted this is status quo and no longer bothered by it.

But that's just my opinion.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    TiffanyLea007TiffanyLea007 Posts: 1,068 Member
    edited June 2014
    No it may not, but I hope EA sees that it could also mean about 10,000 don't buy the game. I'm really sad that I won't be buying the next sim game. But I can't buy it till there are features I want and any others want too. And if they are never added. I have the sims 3 I already purchased.
  • Options
    pageybearpageybear Posts: 180 Member
    edited June 2014
    I think a guru already said they won't delay. I agree with you they won't. EA will have to learn the hard way like they did with Sim City.
  • Options
    Kail16Kail16 Posts: 3,051 Member
    edited June 2014
    Praise Jesus! :D
  • Options
    pguidapguida Posts: 7,481 Member
    edited June 2014
    Kail16 wrote:

TOPICS AGAINST PETITIONS TO DELAY WON'T WORK!

In fact, they just make them more popular.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    pguida wrote:
    Kail16 wrote:

Why did you reply back to me?

What does what you said have anything to do with my feelings about the game not being delayed?

What you wrote back was irrelevant to what you replied to.
  • Options
    wmissie0925wmissie0925 Posts: 310 Member
    edited June 2014
    pguida wrote:
    Kail16 wrote:

True. Just checked it actually. 15 more signatures to 10,000. How's that petition not to delay going?
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Kail16 wrote:
    pguida wrote:
    Kail16 wrote:

What does what you said have anything to do with my feelings about the game not being delayed?

Honest mistake. I clicked 2 instead of one and thought you were the OP and that was the original post.

I dutifully apologize.

THe point I made still stands, though.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    pguida wrote:
    Kail16 wrote:
    pguida wrote:
    Kail16 wrote:

Honest mistake. I clicked 2 instead of one and thought you were the OP and that was the original post.

I dutifully apologize.

THe point I made still stands, though.

Agreed your point still stands threads like these do bring attention to the opposing petitions.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    They won't delay it but they could do themselves a favor and respond to the outrage over no toddlers and pools. An apology and telling the simmers what they plan to do about it would be nice.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Kail16 wrote:
    Agreed your point still stands threads like these do bring attention to the opposing petitions.

If all topics people see are "SIGN THE PETITION" "DON'T SIGN THE PETITION!" "THE PETITION IS CLOSE 10,000 SIGNATURES! "LET'S SIGN A PETION AGAINST THAT OTHER PETITION! I guarantee first thing people will do is go tio the petition right away and possibly sign it.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    pageybear wrote:
    They won't delay it but they could do themselves a favor and respond to the outrage over no toddlers and pools. An apology and telling the simmers what they plan to do about it would be nice.

"We are sorry. They will be patched in for free as soon as it's possible. Pre-teens will be patched in too, as a 'mea culpa'".

We could all be happy then.
  • Options
    OilbasedoleanderOilbasedoleander Posts: 2,967 Member
    edited June 2014
    It's not really about if it works or does not work... Of course they'll still launch the game.

It's about getting a message across.

Whether getting the message across works or not... *shrug* It was always worth a try.
    You can't win the lottery unless you purchase a number ticket. There's always a chance, even if it's slight and far out of reach.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    pguida wrote:
    pageybear wrote:

"We are sorry. They will be patched in for free as soon as it's possible. Pre-teens will be patched in too, as a 'mea culpa'".

We could all be happy then.

yep exactly but we all know they are hoping to milk some $$$ out of adding them. :(