Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Dear TS4 Team Everything People Have Begged For in I&F Out the Window?

Yes, I understand deadlines, obligations, schedules, work loads, budges and all. I was a manager of a company many, many years.

But it just seems some of the things long time fans have been actually begging for all these years over in I&F for the future Sims' games fell on deaf ears.

I love Sims will have emotions, I really would like to see those in an actual unstaged walkthrough with UI present.

However, no toddlers (there are literally hundreds of threads about the toddlers in that section.

No table engagement return.
No Car animations return and interactions like in TS2.

No new ways to actually sculpt the ground/landscape. I was dreaming of more intuitive and tactile tools to do all I have dreamed about for years.
I might not be around (literally) when someday The Sims can live in a cave sculpted out of the land etc.

No true gardener for hire. No return of hedges growing, weeds out in the yards, etc. etc. That really is disheartening and I see very little reason to even have a gardener for the game if I can't hire him/her to take care of all my hedges, shrubs, flowers and fruit trees. Not just water my garden.

I dreamed this game would be innovative in things like multitasking like sitting on the couch and talking on the phone while holding a toddler in your lap. I know I expect bigger things from animators and programmers, than most, but that is just the way I dream bigger and better for The Sims.

Those are just a few of what I was dreaming about when we wasted all those months on here in I&F in hundreds of threads and a few of my own, wishing sports would return to this game in some sort of fashion not just for one Sim but several at one time. Or more toddler interactions that ever before.

I'm sorry but I just can't believe some thought those lists and threads by hundreds here should be the first thing to let go or put off, or delay or didn't even consider would matter to most. There was a reason people make threads in I&F is because they love this game, and I hate to think all their words, and good to great ideas and even some of my, fell on deaf ears.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

Comments

• Options
    AbJo129AbJo129 Posts: 376 Member
    edited June 2014
    You know what? If I'd have been asked whether I wanted the featurrs above plus a few other simple things e.g. closets, clothes shopping, row houses etc and of course ts3 staples of cast and o open world OR clay sims in cas and emotions, I would actually choose the former.

I may be in the minority but as far as I'm concerned, my sims have emotions already and the sliders aren't technically gone, we just see them anymore on the ui. Dragging a feature or a slider; you still have to drag.

The step ups are small, the step downs ate monumental.
  • Options
    SchweighsrSchweighsr Posts: 3,342 Member
    edited June 2014
    I really thought that after all those petitions to add MORE ages to the game that they would never even considering cutting one.

I thought that they would build on what they had in TS3 rather than cut everything that made that game worthwhile.

I thought that when they said that they "were going back to their roots" that they would bring back the best parts of TS2 like the failure states and Easter eggs.

I thought that they would never de-confirm anything that they said earlier in the design process.

I should have remembered that this game is produced by EA and not been so naive.

• Options
    MiamineMiamine Posts: 731 Member
    edited June 2014
    There's no way I can think about the Sims 4 game I dreamed about, cause that would just break my heart. I can't even think about some of the good things the Sims 4 game has, cause it just reminds me just how close they got.

I'm waiting patiently to see what it is that they are actually going to try and sell me, and how much can be modded, expanded and worked around, or if it's locked down so hard there's no point in me bothering with it at all.

Waiting to see what will come out. :cry:
    SIMS 3:YOU’VE NEVER SEEN THE SIMS LIKE THIS BEFORE! This #1 bestselling award-winner* is better than ever on iPhone and iPod. Contains direct links to the Internet; Collects data though third party ad serving analytics technology. EA may retire online features and services after 30 days’ notice.
  • Options
    delonarieldelonariel Posts: 615 New Member
    edited June 2014
    I don't see the sense in not including all the different ages when they were the reason we went from The Sims to The Sims 2 in the first place. A game that's somewhere between TS2 and TS3 sounded perfect but they're fallen short of both.

And I'm not a Sims 3 player, but did you guys actually want to get rid of the sliders? Seems to me like "slider" is every second word I hear from the Sims 3 modding community.
  • Options
    PosterGirlPosterGirl Posts: 641 Member
    edited June 2014
    Cinebar wrote:

No true gardener for hire. No return of hedges growing, weeds out in the yards, etc. etc. That really is disheartening and I see very little reason to even have a gardener for the game if I can't hire him/her to take care of all my hedges, shrubs, flowers and fruit trees. Not just water my garden.

Wow! I didn't know this. That's crazy, so this must mean no weeds to cut. Why have gardeners if you can't hire them. That's disappointing foreal. Thanks for sharing that cinebar.

EDIT: I've just about given up hope on car animations. We still haven't got confirmation if cars are usable either. I'm not going to get my hopes about it this time. I'm afraid if they tell us it will be in, they will end up taking it away.
  • Options
    halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    edited June 2014
    Cinebar wrote:
    Yes, I understand deadlines, obligations, schedules, work loads, budges and all. I was a manager of a company many, many years.

But it just seems some of the things long time fans have been actually begging for all these years over in I&F for the future Sims' games fell on deaf ears.

I love Sims will have emotions, I really would like to see those in an actual unstaged walkthrough with UI present.

However, no toddlers (there are literally hundreds of threads about the toddlers in that section.

No table engagement return.
    No Car animations return and interactions like in TS2.

No new ways to actually sculpt the ground/landscape. I was dreaming of more intuitive and tactile tools to do all I have dreamed about for years.
    I might not be around (literally) when someday The Sims can live in a cave sculpted out of the land etc.

I dreamed this game would be innovative in things like multitasking like sitting on the couch and talking on the phone while holding a toddler in your lap. I know I expect bigger things from animators and programmers, than most, but that is just the way I dream bigger and better for The Sims.

Those are just a few of what I was dreaming about when we wasted all those months on here in I&F in hundreds of threads and a few of my own, wishing sports would return to this game in some sort of fashion not just for one Sim but several at one time. Or more toddler interactions that ever before.

I'm sorry but I just can't believe some thought those lists and threads by hundreds here should be the first thing to let go or put off, or delay or didn't even consider would matter to most. There was a reason people make threads in I&F is because they love this game, and I hate to think all their words, and good to great ideas and even some of my, fell on deaf ears.

Very nicely written
    We all have our dreams. I love the multi tasking part that you talked about. thats true multi tasking

- I wished more interaction will be there with toddlers. like for example if the toddler sees a stranger or a guest he gets scared and starts crying.
    - Toddlers wont stop crying even if held unless his relationship is high enough with that person holding him.
    - If toddler gets angry or wants something he may slap or bite the sim who is holding him :)
    - Lots of toddler to toddler interaction

- different kind of divorce in game.

I can write a book about things I would love to see. Most will be interactions between the sims themselves
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited June 2014
    delonariel wrote:
    I don't see the sense in not including all the different ages when they were the reason we went from The Sims to The Sims 2 in the first place. A game that's somewhere between TS2 and TS3 sounded perfect but they're fallen short of both.

And I'm not a Sims 3 player, but did you guys actually want to get rid of the sliders? Seems to me like "slider" is every second word I hear from the Sims 3 modding community.

Personally I prefer sliders because of my hands. It just seems to me the pull and tug method might be a little more tedious and a lot more work overall. I'm glad they did add more things to manipulate about the faces/heads but I think a slider could have sufficed also.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    CeliriaCeliria Posts: 3,488 Member
    edited June 2014
    I really think people are overreacting about a lot of this.

THEY DIDN'T HAVE TIME.

They had to start on an online game, once they got the basis of that done they then are told that idea is out so now they have to tear it apart and try and re-purpose as much as possible to turn it into an offline game. On top of this they have only had around 2 years of dev time on this game which clearly is not enough to even get everything done they wanted to do.

If the devs had gotten a full dev period for the game without having to rework a failed idea then you would have a point but considering the situation and deadline they've had to work within you can't hold it to much against them. This is why many of us want the game delayed so that they have time to at least get the main things finished like toddlers and pools that they are having to cut in order to hit a rushed deadline given to them by EA.

Overall though it's not fair to demand or expect the stars and the moon when the devs don't even have enough time to manage the core of what they were trying to make in the first place. They clearly want to make a good game and if they could they would likely love to put in as much of the stuff people want as they could manage but they aren't miracle workers and they can only do as much as the time, budget, and situation allows.

It's not a matter that they just ignored what fans wanted, it's that they had to prioritize getting as much done as they could and the fact is the core game comes before requested features.
  • Options
    Lilia1971Lilia1971 Posts: 391 Member
    edited June 2014
    They could have enough time though. They didn't have to announce the game last year when they did. They knew then they had to redo it to offline. They could have announced it this year at E3 and release it next year and have a perfect (maybe) game. This not enough time business is no excuse. They should never have been working on an online game in the first place if they listened and gave two hoots about the fans.
  • Options
    gayarsgayars Posts: 2,229 Member
    edited June 2014
    But toddlers WERE core! And yes we realize they didn't have time and that is why we want it delayed BUT if we don't let them know that forcing it out in a rushed timeline with core features missing is unacceptable EA won't get the message. I love our gurus BUT EA higher ups are greedy with no understanding of the game and shortsighted. Translation: we don't complain and they continue to walk all over us, the consumers, because they can or we do complain and perhaps they learn and listen because ultimately it hurts their pocket book. They need to delay but they won't unless we let them know not delaying and not getting it right is unacceptable.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Celiria wrote:
    I really think people are overreacting about a lot of this.

THEY DIDN'T HAVE TIME.

They had to start on an online game, once they got the basis of that done they then are told that idea is out so now they have to tear it apart and try and re-purpose as much as possible to turn it into an offline game. On top of this they have only had around 2 years of dev time on this game which clearly is not enough to even get everything done they wanted to do.

If the devs had gotten a full dev period for the game without having to rework a failed idea then you would have a point but considering the situation and deadline they've had to work within you can't hold it to much against them. This is why many of us want the game delayed so that they have time to at least get the main things finished like toddlers and pools that they are having to cut in order to hit a rushed deadline given to them by EA.

Overall though it's not fair to demand or expect the stars and the moon when the devs don't even have enough time to manage the core of what they were trying to make in the first place. They clearly want to make a good game and if they could they would likely love to put in as much of the stuff people want as they could manage but they aren't miracle workers and they can only do as much as the time, budget, and situation allows.

It's not a matter that they just ignored what fans wanted, it's that they had to prioritize getting as much done as they could and the fact is the core game comes before requested features.

I have a real hard time understanding why anyone thinks a life stage can be patched in later, or why something so 'fundamental' to The Sims series should come out three or four years from now in an EP.

Don't you think (if you consider what you just said) this game should be delayed until they get it right? Think about what you just said basically, they were rushed, yes, I would say they were, they had to salvage the TS4 Olympus, then come up with how and what would turn it into a single player offline game. Fair enough. But by your own admission you are saying people will be buying a 'rushed game' if that is all true. When a base takes at least four years or longer. And you know something, I don't know them, I don't know their work ethics, or anything but what I do know is not everyone, everywhere, works extremely hard all time, every minute of every day. So, honestly we have no idea if they are rushed (but I would say absolutely) or if some just don't perform at their best. You just can't blanket every one is an extreme hard worker, no matter where it is.
  • Options
    Dearra95Dearra95 Posts: 556 Member
    edited June 2014
    Lilia1971 wrote:
    They could have enough time though. They didn't have to announce the game last year when they did. They knew then they had to redo it to offline. They could have announced it this year at E3 and release it next year and have a perfect (maybe) game. This not enough time business is no excuse. They should never have been working on an online game in the first place if they listened and gave two hoots about the fans.

I have been saying this all along. No one expected or knew the game was coming out so I'm not falling for the "we didn't have time" crap. They didn't have to announce the game yet and could have waited and not took major components out.
  • Options
    Megan31917Megan31917 Posts: 457 Member
    edited June 2014
    I have to laugh every time I see someone defend EA by saying -they didn't have enough time.

In that case, if the game is really only 50% of what it would have been with enough time -shouldn't the price be about $30?

But of course, EA expects full price for a game with half the items expected & then will release expensive expansions along the way.

No thanks.

As a share holder in EA I want the Company to do well, but that doesn't mean I have to buy a half-finished game because they 'didn't have enough time' to do it correctly. Apparently enough sheep (customers) will still buy anything & this is what EA counts on.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Lilia1971 wrote:

I agree. Sure I was over on I&F telling in some threads they should just let the cat out of the bag since the TS3 was moving into it's fifth year, but it seems like they had to announce when those leaked videos appeared and screen shots appeared. I don't know. But they could have waited to this year at E3 and announced it like they did last year. That would give them a breather for sure. I'm sure EA headquarters demanded something from The Sims team, I guess but you are right. EA should have never put themselves in this position in the first place with TS4 Olympus and it's like they aren't listening now, either.
  • Options
    windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,375 Member
    edited June 2014
    I don't know what happened with this game? I've got a hunch that they actually only started development when Simcity bombed, which is when they made the decision to change our game to the single player. Maybe there wasn't much to salvage from the mmo?

I wonder if toddlers were left out now b/c the animations were too few? They maybe figured that "we'll add them (I sincerely hope this part is true) in a patch after they made enough interactions." It's probably just my wishful thinking. But I can't help think that this game is so far behind, too far to really get very much when it's released.

My expectations are down to zip, but no matter. I have decided to get the base game after all. I've got the money to blow and there's really no reason that I can't tell you all, who are not getting it, what I think after a few hours of play. You can expect my blunt and brutal opinion. I'll let you know how it goes, which believe me when I say, I don't expect much.

My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • Options
    delonarieldelonariel Posts: 615 New Member
    edited June 2014
    windweaver wrote:
    I don't know what happened with this game? I've got a hunch that they actually only started development when Simcity bombed, which is when they made the decision to change our game to the single player. Maybe there wasn't much to salvage from the mmo?

I wonder if toddlers were left out now b/c the animations were too few? They maybe figured that "we'll add them (I sincerely hope this part is true) in a patch after they made enough interactions." It's probably just my wishful thinking. But I can't help think that this game is so far behind, too far to really get very much when it's released.

My expectations are down to zip, but no matter. I have decided to get the base game after all. I've got the money to blow and there's really no reason that I can't tell you all, who are not getting it, what I think after a few hours of play. You can expect my blunt and brutal opinion. I'll let you know how it goes, which believe me when I say, I don't expect much.

There was a post about the transition on Honeywell, and from what I understand CAS, Build mode, and most of the Adult (and YA/teen/elder) sim designs were what they salvaged from the multiplayer game.

Then they seem to have spent a lot of time designing stuff like left- and right-handed sims and somehow didn't save enough time for toddlers or teens to have their own animations and skeletons.

I'm assuming they'll be adding toddlers as soon as they can but it's still a lot of work to do for free if they're really giving it to us in a patch.

I look forward to seeing what other people have to say about the game when it comes out though. It does have its strong points so it'll be interesting to see how this all plays out. :-)