Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is TS4 going to do anything to ensure that CC is SAFE to use in your game?

http://www.gamezone.com/news/2014/06/18/the-sims-4-will-offer-more-objects-in-the-base-game-than-ever-before

The article above mentions that TS4's Gallery is going to make it easier than ever to add player created items (aka CC) to your game. That's great....except for one thing. CC in TS3 can be and often IS a complete nightmare. Arezzo Counter anyone? Despite my best efforts to be careful I have had to reinstall THREE DIFFERENT TIMES due to bad CC creeping into my game and basically WRECKING it. Heck, you can even import some nice viruses into your computer by downloading CC. And yet, EA offers absolutely ZERO ways to combat this. Indeed, they use CC as their "get out of jail free" card constantly. Have a problem with your game's performance? First thing they ask you is, "Do you use CC?" If you answer yes then they simply say, "Well we can't help you because your problem could be CC related. Get rid of all of it and THEN test your game and if you still have the problem get back to us. Have a nice day!" And there you are, left with NO help whatsoever! TS3 is COMPLETELY VULNERABLE to problems created by CC and EA takes NO STEPS WHATSOEVER to protect players. I personally have had to pretty much entirely give up on CC.

So what I want to know is; What assurance do we have that THIS TIME EA is going to be proactive and provide us with tools to screen CC that are RELIABLE before putting it in our game? Because frankly, it is totally irresponsible for them NOT to do so.

Comments

• Options
    alexandreaalexandrea Posts: 2,432 Member
    edited June 2014
    Of course they won't ! :)
    p6tqefj
  • Options
    kirby356kirby356 Posts: 4,607 Member
    edited June 2014
    AmaraRena wrote:
    http://www.gamezone.com/news/2014/06/18/the-sims-4-will-offer-more-objects-in-the-base-game-than-ever-before

The article above mentions that TS4's Gallery is going to make it easier than ever to add player created items (aka CC) to your game. That's great....except for one thing. CC in TS3 can be and often IS a complete nightmare. Arezzo Counter anyone? Despite my best efforts to be careful I have had to reinstall THREE DIFFERENT TIMES due to bad CC creeping into my game and basically WRECKING it. Heck, you can even import some nice viruses into your computer by downloading CC. And yet, EA offers absolutely ZERO ways to combat this. Indeed, they use CC as their "get out of jail free" card constantly. Have a problem with your game's performance? First thing they ask you is, "Do you use CC?" If you answer yes then they simply say, "Well we can't help you because your problem could be CC related. Get rid of all of it and THEN test your game and if you still have the problem get back to us. Have a nice day!" And there you are, left with NO help whatsoever! TS3 is COMPLETELY VULNERABLE to problems created by CC and EA takes NO STEPS WHATSOEVER to protect players. I personally have had to pretty much entirely give up on CC.

So what I want to know is; What assurance do we have that THIS TIME EA is going to be proactive and provide us with tools to screen CC that are RELIABLE before putting it in our game? Because frankly, it is totally irresponsible for them NOT to do so.

No.

Grant said that it's up to to person who uploads the sim with CC to tell us, not EA. There will be a flag for CC, however if the uploader is dishonest and doesn't mark his/her creation with CC, then you could be downloading CC without knowing it.

So no, it'll be as irresponsible as TS3 Exchange :?
  • Options
    Biotic_WarlockBiotic_Warlock Posts: 11,063 Member
    edited June 2014
    Ah yes the infamous evil doll which caused a plague. I remember that well.
    I try to make sure to address CC although one of my creations I failed to notice a hidden outfit still had CC attached, so hopefully they will fix this issue a little bit so CC doesn't attach too much to the files, or at least they release some sort of tool to deal with this (then again that custard thing for TS3 if remade would suffice).
    Gallery ID: Biotic_Warlock
  • Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    edited June 2014
    They take responsibility for nothing ever.
  • Options
    JeanBaby4JeanBaby4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    edited June 2014
    You get to write comments on items you download aswell so you can warn others if there is malificent CC within the item. But that means someone has to take the blow for everyone else =/
  • Options
    alexspoom13alexspoom13 Posts: 7,439 Member
    edited June 2014
    I wonder if the uploader can delete comments though. :?
  • Options
    JeanBaby4JeanBaby4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    edited June 2014
    I wonder if the uploader can delete comments though. :?

I don't know. But I don't think so. It would be foolish of Graham to mention that as a sort of protection from CC if the uploader can just walz in and remove comments.
  • Options
    Kail16Kail16 Posts: 3,051 Member
    edited June 2014
    catitude5 wrote:

Why would they take responsibility for third party content?

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Meh...

I don't trust or use third party CC.
  • Options
    RimbaudvogessiRimbaudvogessi Posts: 113 Member
    edited June 2014
    Kail16 wrote:
    catitude5 wrote:

To protect their loyal playerbase?
  • Options
    Nik24X7Nik24X7 Posts: 7,865 Member
    edited June 2014
    Nope. Use the Gallery at your own risk. But I keep hoping that some enterprising modder will create a cc filter when downloading content from the Gallery.
    Origin ID: nik24x7
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Kail16 wrote:
    catitude5 wrote:

They can't sit their and monitor every single person that makes third party content that's got nothing to do with their company.

It would be impossible unless they provided the tools by which third party CC is developed (which sets limitations on possibility and creativity) and all third party CC had to be submitted to a separate location for testing which would cost extra time and resources that I DOUBT they would spend to ensure the quality of something that they had nothing to do with producing and will make no profit from.

Looking at it reasonably that isn't their problem.
  • Options
    AmaraRenaAmaraRena Posts: 6,533 Member
    edited June 2014
    Nik24X7 wrote:
    Nope. Use the Gallery at your own risk. But I keep hoping that some enterprising modder will create a cc filter when downloading content from the Gallery.

Someone probably will but, just as with Custard, it can easily become outdated and you can't count on modders to keep it up and accurate. AT THE VERY LEAST I hope they can separate Store Content from CC. It drives me crazy that, in TS3, if I choose the option to "run without custom content" in my launcher it ALSO removes all my Store Content! Makes NO SENSE whatsoever! I'd feel a lot better about using CC IF I could choose to completely exclude it from my game when I build things to put on the Exchange. And the new TS4 Exchange SHOULD be able to recognize and FLAG CC whether or not the person uploading the content remembers to mention whether or not it has CC in the description they write up. The way EA chooses to NOT get involved with CC is a huge failure on their part.
  • Options
    BadmagicBadmagic Posts: 1,610 Member
    edited June 2014
    Simple answer, no anyone that tells you otherwise is sadly woefully misinformed.
  • Options
    Nik24X7Nik24X7 Posts: 7,865 Member
    edited June 2014
    AmaraRena wrote:
    Nik24X7 wrote:

Someone probably will but, just as with Custard, it can easily become outdated and you can't count on modders to keep it up and accurate. AT THE VERY LEAST I hope they can separate Store Content from CC. It drives me crazy that, in TS3, if I choose the option to "run without custom content" in my launcher it ALSO removes all my Store Content! Makes NO SENSE whatsoever! I'd feel a lot better about using CC IF I could choose to completely exclude it from my game when I build things to put on the Exchange. And the new TS4 Exchange SHOULD be able to recognize and FLAG CC whether or not the person uploading the content remembers to mention whether or not it has CC in the description they write up. The way EA chooses to NOT get involved with CC is a huge failure on their part.
    Absolutely! I agree 1000%. The Sims 2 Exchange would give a yellow triangle with an exclamation point as a warning of non-EA content.
    Origin ID: nik24x7
  • Options
    RimbaudvogessiRimbaudvogessi Posts: 113 Member
    edited June 2014
    Kail16 wrote:
    Kail16 wrote:
    catitude5 wrote:

They can't sit their and monitor every single person that makes third party content that's got nothing to do with their company.

It would be impossible unless they provided the tools by which third party CC is developed (which sets limitations on possibility and creativity) and all third party CC had to be submitted to a separate location for testing which would cost extra time and resources that I DOUBT they would spend to ensure the quality of something that they had nothing to do with producing and will make no profit from.

True, well said and touché! ;)

If they did implement certain boundaries to CC, keeping the player base using the gallery safe but limiting creativity players would complain. Not doing so will also garner complaints. Also, expecting each and every player uploading creations with CC attached to be honorable and let others know of it is like me expecting to become pregnant whilst being a man....lol.

Best thing is to avoid it if you are unsure about it. I know I sure will.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Kail16 wrote:
    Kail16 wrote:
    catitude5 wrote:

True, well said and touché! ;)

If they did implement certain boundaries to CC, keeping the player base using the gallery safe but limiting creativity players would complain. Not doing so will also garner complaints. Also, expecting each and every player uploading creations with CC attached to be honorable and let others know of it is like me expecting to become pregnant whilst being a man....lol.

Best thing is to avoid it if you are unsure about it. I know I sure will.

And that's the rub. There's some amazing, and safe, CC out there. But none of us can be sure what is and isn't OK. This problem actually LIMITS the creativity of modders by making their audience/users smaller and more hesitant to use their stuff. EA HAS the tools to scan for unsafe content and frankly I'd be happy to pay for them as an add-on. They ALSO have the ability to flag any content on the Exchange as having CC and they SHOULD do that as a bare minimum.
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    edited June 2014
    AmaraRena wrote:
    Heck, you can even import some nice viruses into your computer by downloading CC. And yet, EA offers absolutely ZERO ways to combat this.

you CAN NOT get a virus from any mods or CC.
    NRaas wrote:
    MadameLee wrote:
    We want to know why if the only thing I download (from safe sites) is my computer still be corrupted?

Content which you install via ".package" or via the Game Launcher *cannot* affect your machine outside of the game itself.

EA Standard has the game-engine written in such a way that malicious mods are simply impossible to write, so things like trojans or viruses that affect your computer as a whole are not actually possible.

If you are having issues with your computer beyond that, the issue is due to other things, such as ad-ware viruses or something else you are installing. :)
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/723250.page#11490872

• Options
    edited June 2014
    ceejay402 wrote:
    AmaraRena wrote:
    Heck, you can even import some nice viruses into your computer by downloading CC. And yet, EA offers absolutely ZERO ways to combat this.

NRaas wrote:
    MadameLee wrote:
    We want to know why if the only thing I download (from safe sites) is my computer still be corrupted?

Content which you install via ".package" or via the Game Launcher *cannot* affect your machine outside of the game itself.

EA Standard has the game-engine written in such a way that malicious mods are simply impossible to write, so things like trojans or viruses that affect your computer as a whole are not actually possible.

If you are having issues with your computer beyond that, the issue is due to other things, such as ad-ware viruses or something else you are installing. :)

I am not entirely sure I believe that. No, I don't believe I got a virus from CC, my last virus problem was courtesy of my teenager. lol But even CC makers end up making CC with massive problems OF WHICH THEY ARE COMPLETELY UNAWARE. And people who deliberately write malicious code are very clever and usually ahead of the curve technologically. So I wouldn't say it's IMPOSSIBLE. Pretty much nothing is. And with ZERO oversight of CC on the part of EA... you can bet there WILL be problems.

Edited to add: Also, there can be problems with many of the sites that offer CC and you CAN get a virus from visiting those sites, ESPECIALLY horrible adware infecting your machine because you have to "allow" a lot of stuff to get the sites to work to download the CC in the first place. So, theoretically, the Exchange SHOULD be the SAFEST place to get CC. But some minimal involvement on EA's part SHOULD be expected there as well!
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited June 2014
    Sims 3 is a very unstable game, maybe that's what caused the trouble with CC?
    I never used any CC and I had my share of problems anyway :wink:
    I agree with Rimbaudvogessi though, at the end of the day it's not their responsibility what people put into their game that isn't EA related.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    klb685klb685 Posts: 3,388 Member
    edited June 2014
    I still have memories of Simport, a "safe" game addition. Yet, somehow, extra CC managed to sneak into my game. Anything that I get off of the gallery will be checked out before adding it into my game since I absolutely don't trust their scanning tools enough to just plop it in mid game play.
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    edited June 2014
    AmaraRena wrote:
    ceejay402 wrote:
    AmaraRena wrote:

NRaas wrote:
    MadameLee wrote:

I am not entirely sure I believe that. No, I don't believe I got a virus from CC, my last virus problem was courtesy of my teenager. lol But even CC makers end up making CC with massive problems OF WHICH THEY ARE COMPLETELY UNAWARE. And people who deliberately write malicious code are very clever and usually ahead of the curve technologically. So I wouldn't say it's IMPOSSIBLE. Pretty much nothing is. And with ZERO oversight of CC on the part of EA... you can bet there WILL be problems.

Edited to add: Also, there can be problems with many of the sites that offer CC and you CAN get a virus from visiting those sites, ESPECIALLY horrible adware infecting your machine because you have to "allow" a lot of stuff to get the sites to work to download the CC in the first place. So, theoretically, the Exchange SHOULD be the SAFEST place to get CC. But some minimal involvement on EA's part SHOULD be expected there as well!

if i understand correctly you think you may know more than twallan a professional programmer that has reviewed the game engine - some how his insight, expertise and actual hands on experience still falls short of your hunches?

you can think whatever you like but you can not reasonably express a hunch as a fact

and i think its wrong to broadcast misinformation - its fear mongering to me to at the very least qualify yourself
  • Options
    _Princess_Natasha__Princess_Natasha_ Posts: 626 Member
    edited June 2014
    Many people used CC in TS2 and didn't have nearly as much of a headache with it as people who chose to use CC with TS3. CC in TS3 was such a headache that many have opted to not use it at all. I use CC Magic from Mod The Sims and, as long as I limit the amount of patterns I have in my game, it runs smoothly and doesn't have too many issues. I mostly get stuff from SimCredibleDesigns and other amazing CC creators whose CC is usually made well. :) I am hoping that TS4 handles CC more in the way TS2 did! :)

I do think the exchange should put a tag on uploads containing CC so that those who want to forgo it can. Although, most of the better builders will state if they've used CC or not. Most of the better Sim creators will have used CC since Sims look much better with it.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Many people used CC in TS2 and didn't have nearly as much of a headache with it as people who chose to use CC with TS3. CC in TS3 was such a headache that many have opted to not use it at all. I use CC Magic from Mod The Sims and, as long as I limit the amount of patterns I have in my game, it runs smoothly and doesn't have too many issues. I mostly get stuff from SimCredibleDesigns and other amazing CC creators whose CC is usually made well. :) I am hoping that TS4 handles CC more in the way TS2 did! :)

I do think the exchange should put a tag on uploads containing CC so that those who want to forgo it can. Although, most of the better builders will state if they've used CC or not. Most of the better Sim creators will have used CC since Sims look much better with it.

I agree and certainly reputation among builders and Sim creators is helpful in deciding who to download from. I have a VERY SMALL list of creators I trust at this point. But EA SHOULD get involved in this since they are allowing the inclusion of CC in the first place. Again, they have the ability to develop tools to let us scan CC and that is actually a service I'd be happy to pay for as an add-on. However, scanning for the inclusion of CC should be free as Simmers should be able to reliably tell if a creation HAS CC in it or not. But choosing to use CC IS a player choice and lots of people will choose not to do it so those people should not have to pay for scanning software that checks to see if CC is safe. That part I would be glad to pay for.
  • Options
    SchweighsrSchweighsr Posts: 3,342 Member
    edited June 2014
    Kail16 wrote:

They don't have to monitor items individually. They can create a filter which flags nonstandard content (CC) to alert anyone who views the item that it contains CC. No need to register or review or whatever the CC - just anything that EA didn't make itself would be marked. It would be super easy to make that kind of filter - visit the Exchange and look at how they list which EPs or SPs you need to use an item. It will even list the items from the Store used - and link you to that item so that you can buy it. Making a filter to flag CC would be about 5% as difficult as doing that. Making it possible to download something from the Gallery without downloading the CC attached to it wouldn't be much harder.