Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

what do people that have to do with adoption in the sims?

what do people that have to do with adoption in the sims?

I would like to see
open-adoption (adopted parents in contact with birth parents)
closed adoption (adopted parents 0 contacts with birth parents)

I would like it that kids who are NOT babies have names already..I mean seriously who names a toddler or child something when they're a toddler/child.

Also the option for toddler/children to have a history of why they are in the off-screen orphanage

Another one is that there should be a way without needing the Simmer themselves to write down which kid is adopted and which kid isn't..because with the Sims 3-the adopted kid magically becomes biological related to their adopted parents and children. I mean *gasp* they even are able to pass down their adopted parents' genetics.
6adMCGP.gif

Comments

• Options
    SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    edited May 2014
    I dunno, I've rarely used the adoption option but it hasn't bothered me.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • Options
    KyliesThoughtsKyliesThoughts Posts: 698 Member
    edited May 2014
    MadameLee wrote:
    Another one is that there should be a way without needing the Simmer themselves to write down which kid is adopted and which kid isn't..because with the Sims 3-the adopted kid magically becomes biological related to their adopted parents and children. I mean *gasp* they even are able to pass down their adopted parents' genetics.

This. I really hope they put more thought into genetics this game... :?
  • Options
    SophieDiddleSophieDiddle Posts: 578 Member
    edited May 2014
    I only ever adopted twice in sims 3, both in the same family, one after the other. Both turned out severely overweight, which is fine, but the accompanying pudding faces weren't fine. Never again!
    I do hope adoption in sims 4 is better and that children and teens will have memories of their past family, even if they are all negative. I long for the memory system of sims 2 xD
  • Options
    lanadelsimlanadelsim Posts: 136 Member
    edited May 2014
    This would be very cool, but I think the issue with implementing this is that the adopted kids aren't really 'there' before you called for them.
    They are just randomly generated out of thin air pretty much.
    I guess if they went with the 'mystery sim' memory system of ts2 it would work ok.
  • Options
    kovu0207kovu0207 Posts: 6,209 Member
    edited May 2014
    I like how the adoptions are at the minutes. The only thing I want to be added is the option to adopt supernaturals. :P
    kovu0207ver2.jpg
  • Options
    lennyvocaloidlennyvocaloid Posts: 161 Member
    edited May 2014
    I want the kids that were taken away by the social worker be able to be adopted, not just go away.
    15f317bf-858c-4dcf-80e9-e1281c43ab75.png?t=1408375700
    Hey, look it's EA.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,113 Member
    edited May 2014
    kovu0207 wrote:
    I like how the adoptions are at the minutes. The only thing I want to be added is the option to adopt supernaturals. :P

That would be amazing!
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    kovu0207 wrote:

That would be amazing!

Definately, then I could play out my Harry potter game properly. With 2 muggle parents adopting a witch sim child... oh what mischief. :wink:
    kovu0207ver2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    lanadelsim wrote:
    This would be very cool, but I think the issue with implementing this is that the adopted kids aren't really 'there' before you called for them.
    They are just randomly generated out of thin air pretty much.
    I guess if they went with the 'mystery sim' memory system of ts2 it would work ok.

This is true :\ but even in the sims 2 when a child was taken from a family in the neighbourhood and another family adopted them all their existing memories and family tree were wiped, which I always thought was a bit silly. They could run into their biological dad at the grocery store and not even know it.
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,767 Member
    edited May 2014
    Would anyone also like the option for when the sim kid is old enough for him/her to find their birth parents-only *if* they want too?
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    IcySlashIcySlash Posts: 1,070 Member
    edited May 2014
    I would also like when one child's parents die they will not be taken by the Social Worker to never appear again, but for them to be raised by one alive adult relative (grandparent, aunt, etc) and you'd be able to choose who would take care of them. :D
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    MadameLee wrote:
    Would anyone also like the option for when the sim kid is old enough for him/her to find their birth parents-only *if* they want too?

Yes! That would spice things up. I'd actually really like the option for sims to voluntarily give up their children. That might be evil but the Sims is meant to be about "playing with life"
  • Options
    davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    edited May 2014
    :D I requested an adoption agency several times for the Sims 3. You go in and pick a infant, toddler, kid, or teen and adopt them. That is how it is done in real life almost all the time. Parents go and spend time at an adoption agency or look at paperwork for children up for adoption and pick the one that they feel a connection to or that they feel will fit best with their family. There are some picked blindly, but that is a minority.

I liked the way sims adopted pets at the pet store if you were able to get it. It would be neat to go into the adoption agency check everything out and go to a register or other object and a menu comes up showing their traits, likes, and stuff about them. Then, you choose and the adoption goes through. :D
  • Options
    Slippy64653Slippy64653 Posts: 464 Member
    edited May 2014
    I would want to not have adopted children that all look the same, and look the same as maids, imaginary friends, etc.
  • Options
    ShelleybellyShelleybelly Posts: 2,587 Member
    edited May 2014
    I'm REEEAAAALLLLY hoping genetics takes off in a big way this round. I understand an adopted child is just randomly generated, but it would be cool (although unlikely) that random biological parents are generated....for DNA purposes only. Especially if it's a child that is adopted.
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    edited May 2014
    I miss the TS2 way of doing it. I actually had a functioning orphanage in my town. Basically, when a child was taken away by the real social worker, the "orphanage" would then adopt that child. Then prospective adoptive parents could come and visit with the children and whomever they formed a friendship with could then add the kid to the family. And in TS2, the kids who were taken by the social worker lose their memories, but they don't lose their family tree so you can still work your way to them "knowing" their genetic parents.

In TS3 I created an orphanage, but of sims that I created for adoption. They live with a social worker and anyone who wants to adopt can visit and make friends and add to the family. However, I don't really bother too much. The reason I did this in TS2 is because I lost kids and wanted them back. I've never lost a kid in TS3.

I hope the adoption service is vastly improved in TS3. I would like them to be kids from the neighborhood or a pool of kids I get to pick like the pet selector. I really just want kids that already have relationships within the town. Like they should have friends and skills. It shouldn't be a blank slate.
  • Options
    SalemSalem Posts: 316 New Member
    edited May 2014
    davina1221 wrote:
    :D I requested an adoption agency several times for the Sims 3. You go in and pick a infant, toddler, kid, or teen and adopt them. That is how it is done in real life almost all the time. Parents go and spend time at an adoption agency or look at paperwork for children up for adoption and pick the one that they feel a connection to or that they feel will fit best with their family. There are some picked blindly, but that is a minority.

I liked the way sims adopted pets at the pet store if you were able to get it. It would be neat to go into the adoption agency check everything out and go to a register or other object and a menu comes up showing their traits, likes, and stuff about them. Then, you choose and the adoption goes through. :D

Its a bit different than going down to the animal shelter and picking up a pet.

A lot of countries don't have abundant amounts of unwanted children that get viewed and chosen but the other way around where there is waiting lists for children sometimes years of waiting for couples.

Here there would be in an excess of over 50 couples at any one time hoping to be lucky enough to adopt and there would be an average of 2 babies put up for adoption a year.

And then (with open adoption) you have to meet the criteria of what the birth parent/s are looking for before your profile would even get viewed by them. You may never even be considered because of anything like age - other children - race - urban or rural lifestyle - whatever is important to them.

And it is a pretty heart breaking experience for many. Oh that's just a little insight into what it is like for some - anyhow - nobody would want that in the game either but I'd hate to see it treated like adopting a pet - they are miles away.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    @salem-no offense salem..but when have the sims ever been realstic? Up until sims 3 university you could just walk into a work place and get a job in any career-without a resume or skills or an interview.

BTW I love your name!!
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    MadameLee wrote:
    Up until sims 3 university you could just walk into a work place and get a job in any career-without a resume or skills or an interview.

Ahhh I dream of the day that will happen in real life. :D
    kovu0207ver2.jpg
  • Options
    RedMallieRedMallie Posts: 32 Member
    edited May 2014
    ... I'd actually really like the option for sims to voluntarily give up their children. That might be evil but the Sims is meant to be about "playing with life"

I second that motion and let me say that I do not think it is evil to want to have the choice to give a Sim up for adoption.
    TS3 IS a game, a great game about life, and giving children up for adoption is part of life. Sometimes, in the long run, not growing up with birth parents is better for people in real life. But that is another discussion.
    In the game, it would be great to have the option to give children up as it is possible to add adopted children to your Sim families.
  • Options
    pinkknight06pinkknight06 Posts: 872 Member
    edited May 2014
    I would like for the parents to still be able to see their child after adoption and have a chance to regain custody of the child. Another thing i just thought of is the social worker should come to the home before the adoption takes place like the head master visit was in the Sims 2 and determine if the Sim/ family can adopt the child.
  • Options
    windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,375 Member
    edited May 2014
    To me this would be a waste of the sims team time and resources. It is completely unnecessary, it has no place in a game that is supposed to fun.
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    what would be a 'waste of time and resourses" Windweaver? a)giving up a sim kid for adoption? b)being able to pick or choose kids based on looks and not just 'random' jackpot? c)giving adoptive kids a birth family?

If it was a *waste of time* Sims wouldn't even HAVE adoption in the first place.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    peno11peno11 Posts: 192 Member
    edited May 2014
    davina1221 wrote:

What a disgusting idea! I don't know about where you live, but where I live, children are not commodity you can pick from. That's just awful thing to do! I really hope they will not put such disgusting feature to The Sims game. And I don't care if it is actually practised anywhere in the world, because in my opinion, if it really is, then it should stop now!

Edit: I like, however, what Pinkknight06 wrote about social worker coming to evaluate family before adoption. Something like Sims 2 private school principal thing. That would be awesome and put a touch of realism to adoptions in The Sims.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    peno11 wrote:
    davina1221 wrote:
    What a disgusting idea! I don't know about where you live, but where I live, children are not commodity you can pick from. That's just awful thing to do! I really hope they will not put such disgusting feature to The Sims game. And I don't care if it is actually practised anywhere in the world, because in my opinion, if it really is, then it should stop now!

??? But what Davina says is kind of how it works in the UK. You see lots of information, pictures, videos etc, you need to know that your home suits the child, and in a way the child suits you before deciding to go ahead with such a life changing decision. Sometimes you even go to events called adoption days, where you can actually interact with the children face to face, and many adopters say they chose a child because they felt a connection.
    kovu0207ver2.jpg