Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

No "Simish" for The Sims 4. Be able to speak real languages.

Comments

• Options
    windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,375 Member
    edited June 2010
    Hi,
    Once they can actually program a language, where the AI can utilize it that would be fun, but until that day comes, in about 100 years, I would rather stick to simlish.

cyn
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • Options
    MissJennaKateMissJennaKate Posts: 10,778 New Member
    edited June 2010
    nooooooooooooooooooo! i love simlish!
  • Options
    CoffeeChick0CoffeeChick0 Posts: 2,294 New Member
    edited June 2010
    Chris3000 wrote:
    I'd like to see the end of "Simish" for The Sims 4. Sims 4 sims should have the AI to be able to speak English, French, German,...

Technically I would never hold my breath for this idea. Could you imagine how hard it would be to cater to every language that the Sims Franchise sells in? Besides, it’s a game and Simish is what makes it the Sims. Otherwise it would be RL and you can get that outside your front door.
  • Options
    SilverDragon111SilverDragon111 Posts: 6,173 New Member
    edited June 2010
    NOOOOOOOOOOO! Don't take away simlish. That would be the stupidest thing ever, seriously. That woudl make sims just another simulation game. Simlish is one of the many things that makes sims special and taking it away would make it alot less special.
  • Options
    mariakapa86mariakapa86 Posts: 143 New Member
    edited June 2010
    Simish are so funny, and this is realy unfair for some other countries to use real languages. Some people can not understand another languages
  • Options
    danivixendanivixen Posts: 4,254 New Member
    edited June 2010
    A) I like simmish. Keeps people from (well most) getting their panties in a knot over what a sim might have said, if the accents are off, if they can't understand them, etc. It just makes logical SENSE to have Simmish. Plus no need to have more translated languages and a reason for more of the game to 'glitch'. But somehow someone's made a debate over it.

B) How about we focus on the Sims3. We're already going on into the Sims4, jesus.
  • Options
    ruffryderz76901ruffryderz76901 Posts: 36 Member
    edited June 2010
    I say NO! .1 Because the simlish lang is what makes the game fun to play and .2 it's always funny listening to all the diff sims and ours talk etc.
  • Options
    ruffryderz76901ruffryderz76901 Posts: 36 Member
    edited June 2010
    heck even all of us fell in love with the Simmish lang so I have no blasted idea why anyone would want them to take away Simmish outta The Sims game/games,However I have to completly say that I totally agree with danivixen
  • Options
    XaviersxVAXaviersxVA Posts: 1
    edited February 2014
    I say yes, and more so, EA should poll the question as a forum may not convey the extent of how the rest of the end users feel about it. I'm not saying strip away simlish, but is it feasible, possible to create localized language packs and this higher AI that supposedly is being advanced that those of us who wouldn't checking the option for English (UK or US), French, German, etc etc can have such. Simlish may be a long tradition but does it have to be an exclusionary one. Of all the expansion packs upon expansion packs over the years, and with advancement in the tech, it wouldn't seem to be beyond scope and reason to offer a choice, whether the market would support such is in polling the market . . or more the talents of the creative teams. If it doesn't meet sales margins, oh well, another furniture pack then.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    No, OMG! NO NO NO!

Can you imagine? "It's time to go to work" or "I think you're hot" or "Some other mundane comment" over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over....
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    dp :oops:
  • Options
    JeanBaby4JeanBaby4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    edited February 2014
    What a utterly horrible horrible idea. Imagine how boring it would be to listen to the same conversation over and over and over again. Not to mention it would have to be translated into every language the sims is sold in.
  • Options
    LewanaM00nLewanaM00n Posts: 321 Member
    edited February 2014
    Rorshock wrote:
    No.

Just no.

The game would get boring to listen to, and IMHO the sims would lose some of their charm.

Totaly agree with this.
  • Options
    Proteus42Proteus42 Posts: 891 Member
    edited February 2014
    I agree with the people who want to keep Simlish.

Simlish is an integral part of the Sims-Series
    It has been with the series from the beginning on and well known artists undertook the effort to rerecord songs into Simlish, so they could be included into Sims.

Jot being able to discern what the Sims are saying helps to mask repetitivness and stimulates your fantasy, insofar as you can let your ofwn fantasy fill the dialogues around the few hints you get about what your Sims are talking about [i.e. the speech bubbles that sometimes appear]).
    And it means, just as others said, that EA/Maxis doesn´t need to spend lots of money into localizing spoken dialogues, but instead can put the money into more useful features.

So I am definitely pro keeping it as it has been in the past 3 parts of Sims
  • Options
    TheHellerSweetieTheHellerSweetie Posts: 463 Member
    edited February 2014
    Why? Simlish has been used for the whole three generations and you're saying let's just through this idea away and put in real languages instead? This is The Sims, not "The People"... :?
  • Options
    jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,862 Member
    edited February 2014
    I think this is a bad idea. What languages would be chosen? English of course, then what? French and Spanish most likely? Maybe Italian, German, Russian, Chinese and Japanese IF you're lucky. What if you speak Swedish, Dutch, Portuguese, Arabic, Indian, etc etc?? They're not going to make voice recordings for every language. Many people would feel left out.

Not to mention the cost that would go into creating vocalizations for the languages involved, which is why I say there would be three most likely and maybe the additional five if very lucky.

Besides, Simlish is fun. It's a language that no one really knows what exactly what is being said but you can be intuitive based on the game itself. You could argue that this is what people whos languages are not being represented do, but that kind of takes away from the point of "being able to speak real languages."

Imagine: Hear the Sims speak Real Languages!!!! JUST NOT YOURS. :? Great selling line.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Options
    snurflessnurfles Posts: 3,640 Member
    edited February 2014
    I have to agree with the majority. I would not want to hear the same words in my native language over and over and over again. It would get old so quickly. As it is, I'm looking forward to a few new Simlish phrases as the ones we have are getting pretty repetitive.
  • Options
    GoodywoodGoodywood Posts: 4,617 Member
    edited February 2014
    They are Sims they should speak simlish. It's so fun to listen to music in simlish and remember all the words. :lol: That for me would ruin the game.
    PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.
  • Options
    howahkan319howahkan319 Posts: 213 Member
    edited February 2014
    Chris3000 wrote:
    I'd like to see the end of "Simish" for The Sims 4. Sims 4 sims should have the AI to be able to speak English, French, German,...

So... what you're saying is, make The Sims not The Sims. See, the problem with this and ultra realistic graphics is that it will be too realistic and weird.
  • Options
    JeanBaby4JeanBaby4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    edited February 2014
    I think a part of the charm is imagining what they're saying. You can make up your own dialogue in your head. If you're making a story, something bad has happened and you want your simcouple to "argue" about that specific incident. If they already have set dialoques then the illusion breaks.
  • Options
    SchweighsrSchweighsr Posts: 3,342 Member
    edited February 2014
    No, just no. There is no way they could make the conversations relevant, intelligent and not repetitive.

Besides, I like Simlish!
  • Options
    Dan1el1996Dan1el1996 Posts: 124 Member
    edited February 2014
    jcp011c2 wrote:
    I think this is a bad idea. What languages would be chosen? English of course, then what? French and Spanish most likely? Maybe Italian, German, Russian, Chinese and Japanese IF you're lucky. What if you speak Swedish, Dutch, Portuguese, Arabic, Indian, etc etc?? They're not going to make voice recordings for every language. Many people would feel left out.

Not to mention the cost that would go into creating vocalizations for the languages involved, which is why I say there would be three most likely and maybe the additional five if very lucky.

Besides, Simlish is fun. It's a language that no one really knows what exactly what is being said but you can be intuitive based on the game itself. You could argue that this is what people whos languages are not being represented do, but that kind of takes away from the point of "being able to speak real languages."

Imagine: Hear the Sims speak Real Languages!!!! JUST NOT YOURS. :? Great selling line.

I agree!

Hehe, When you mention it, it has already happened. I am Norwegian, and some other Norwegians have long complained that they did not translate the names of sim in TS3. In TS2 ready-made sim (Like Darren Dreamer) had a Norwegian name but on TS3 him just has the English name.
  • Options
    dancerREHdancerREH Posts: 370 New Member
    edited February 2014
    I disagree
    for the same reason as everyone else basically
    and why bother recording things in a bunch of languages when they can just record it in 1 made up language
  • Options
    Nik24X7Nik24X7 Posts: 7,865 Member
    edited February 2014
    Chris3000 wrote:
    Did you read "AI". That means a sim should be able to think on what it wants/needs to say NOT a pre-programmed response. It's like "free" thought.
    Artificial Intelligence? Sims may be artificial beings, but they have pixels for brains. They can barely handle Simlish, much less learn practically every language on the planet. Just my opinion.
    Origin ID: nik24x7
  • Options
    GoodywoodGoodywood Posts: 4,617 Member
    edited February 2014
    windweaver wrote:
    No, OMG! NO NO NO!

Can you imagine? "It's time to go to work" or "I think you're hot" or "Some other mundane comment" over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over....

Yep! LOL! And if it was like so, I would definitely be clicking the mute button. :x :-P
    PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top