Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA won't be making another penny out of this very dissatisfied customer

I bought Diesel Stuff last night from Origin. Big mistake. It said I had to uninstall and reinstall base game, which I did. Big mistake number two. Repatched using the superpatch (which took stupid time to download because of being 1.6 GB). Fine.

Tried to reinstall store content, it won't reinstall. Keep getting a stupid error message about software updates. It already has the software updates. I used super patch last night. And have installed the wretched store patch literally 20 times already today. And every time straight after, it still won't install my store stuff, and says the same d- stupid thing about updating.

When I think how much money I've wasted on this crap over the last 6 months it makes my blood boil. Hundreds of pounds.

If I can't use the store content (a lot of store stuff, virtually the whole store), I should get my money back.

Comments

• Options
    WeealbetWeealbet Posts: 1,105 Member
    edited December 2013
    Were you using your back-ups of Store content? I had this happen to me in the Summer too. I had to re-download and reinstall everything. This was before we had the Download All feature. Took me a week to get it all.
  • Options
    LadyLaFleurLadyLaFleur Posts: 2,185 Member
    edited December 2013
    If you had chosen the ? Info button the origin download, it would have taken you to another screen to download from. :( I had this happen during the black Friday sale. I did a chat because I didn't want to uninstall and they said this was the fix. :(
    "This game lends itself to certain abuses." - Calvin
  • Options
    lovelylisaclovelylisac Posts: 1,291 Member
    edited December 2013
    I don't have a backup of store content, just my purchase history and the DCBackup/DCCache files. Every time I open the launcher, it just says there's an update, which I install, then it doesn't acknowledge that I've installed it, and still won't let me put my store stuff back in. Is there a fix for this?

I've been trying to get help with this in the top Technical Discussion forum since quarter to eleven last night in one thread, and still got nowhere. About ready to throw the laptop out of the window.

I can't play with no store content, as I'd have no worlds or venues to play in, and no hair or clothes for my sims to wear, and probably no save games will load without the content anyway.
  • Options
    ajaxpostajaxpost Posts: 4,200 Member
    edited December 2013
    I had the same message come up when I purchased an SP a couple of months ago.

It is completely bogus and confusing. The "fix" as LadyLaFleur describes is to use the download info button to install new packs.
    If you had chosen the ? Info button the origin download, it would have taken you to another screen to download from. :( I had this happen during the black Friday sale. I did a chat because I didn't want to uninstall and they said this was the fix. :(
  • Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    edited December 2013
    Oh no! :cry:

I hope you manage to get it all sorted out! *hugs*

I know it's a pain to do but as a final straw you could uninstall everything, clear out the folders, and reinstall.

I had a weird update that wouldn't finish updating once. I shut everything down, restarted my computer, and tried again. It magically worked! Maybe you might be lucky and it might work too?
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I'd never downloaded a game before, so I didn't know it was bogus until after it ruined my game.

My problem is that I can't reinstall, it won't let me. I've put the store patch in must be 20 times by now, and still every time I try to install my store stuff it says I need a store update that's already there.

Maybe the problem is that the store stuff is already on the launcher from being in the same file with the CC. But if I remove the folder to redownload new copies of the store content from the store, all my CC will disappear from the folder, and I don't know where half of it came from.

The CC is still installed fine, all my hair, toddler clothes, custom maternity wear.
  • Options
    DCExplorerDCExplorer Posts: 724 Member
    edited December 2013
    You could restore your computer to a restore point before you installed the EP and Stuff pack. Here's a link that explains how:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_4436099_computer-earlier-date-restore-point.html#page=0

Once you have restored it, you could re-install your stuff pack how LadyLaFleur suggested.
  • Options
    jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,862 Member
    edited December 2013
    my launcher froze in the middle of updating as well. to make matters worse I accidentally opened my game instead of the launcher the first time and the game froze up as well. I thought that was it, I'd lost everything!

Fortunately I was only int he start up of the game, not an actual save, so as far as I can tell nothing was affected. I did have to force quit the game of course, but the launcher as well and had to restart.

I only chime in because this launch was problematic for me as well and the more voices heard about it the more notice it gets.

I hope you get everything figured out OP.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Options
    Mev1015Mev1015 Posts: 330 New Member
    edited December 2013
    I bought Diesel Stuff last night from Origin. Big mistake. It said I had to uninstall and reinstall base game, which I did. Big mistake number two. Repatched using the superpatch (which took stupid time to download because of being 1.6 GB). Fine.

Tried to reinstall store content, it won't reinstall. Keep getting a stupid error message about software updates. It already has the software updates. I used super patch last night. And have installed the wretched store patch literally 20 times already today. And every time straight after, it still won't install my store stuff, and says the same d- stupid thing about updating.

When I think how much money I've wasted on this crap over the last 6 months it makes my blood boil. Hundreds of pounds.

If I can't use the store content (a lot of store stuff, virtually the whole store), I should get my money back.

Have you tried downloading/installing from the downloads dashboard? I think it is on the second screen when you start the game. On the left there are 3 dots. All of your purchases should be there and info as to if they've been installed.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    The Diesel Stuff is working fine. It's just that since the uninstall and reinstall of base game, my store content doesn't work at all. In spite of it being in the same folder with my CC which is still installed fine, the store content still shows up on the launcher, but won't reinstall. Every time I try, it says I need an update, but the store patch is already up to date. Really don't know what else I can do. Hundreds of pounds worth of store stuff I can't use, and a game I can't play without it, because it was used in all my saves. Most gutted about Roaring Heights, which I'd managed to play in for precisely one sim day.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Mev1015 you are a lifesaver :D

It installs from the downloads dashboard.

33 more pages of store content to do (after dinner).

You may be my new best friend.
  • Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    edited December 2013
    *claps* I'm so happy you seem to have it fixed! :D
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    edited December 2013
    The fault isn't with EA it's with Origin.. They have far too many bugs and glitches in thier software. That's why I buy my eps and sps from Gamestop.

• Options
    LadyLaFleurLadyLaFleur Posts: 2,185 Member
    edited December 2013
    The fault isn't with EA it's with Origin.. They have far too many bugs and glitches in thier software. That's why I buy my eps and sps from Gamestop.

I usually buy physical copies, but I got 3 Stuff Packs for $25 during Origin's Black Friday sale. Made it worth the digital download. :P

@OP - I'm glad you got it fixed :)
    "This game lends itself to certain abuses." - Calvin
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    edited December 2013
    So I guess EA will be using Origin for the Sims 4 as well. I hope they get their current problems fixed before The Sims 4 comes out.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Seriously, I will never buy another download game again. So not worth all the stress it caused, just to save £5.

I'm so glad it's fixed, but it's going to take ages to reinstall all that stuff. Then I most likely have to redownload all the CC, and redo the mods, and I may have lost some save games.
  • Options
    MSladyTSOMSladyTSO Posts: 2,586 Member
    edited December 2013
    What LadyLaFleur said is the fix for this. You open Origin, and in the tab that says "My Games", hover over the thumbnail for your game. You'll see an "i" (for Information). Click that. Another download screen will open, which will allow you to download and play.

I had the same problem - SimGuruRusskii told me to do the above (it worked).

• Options
    rebekah512rebekah512 Posts: 881 Member
    edited December 2013
    So I guess EA will be using Origin for the Sims 4 as well. I hope they get their current problems fixed before The Sims 4 comes out.

I've had the same problem, and it is an Origin issue-however, EA makes the business decision to continue using that *expletive deleted* delivery system for their downloads, so they are responsible.

I'm so glad the downloads dashboard supplied a workable solution, but Origin is quite seriously a crappy piece of software, and I've had several occasions to share that opinion with EA's customer service dept.

Gently, but directly. It's not the person on the chat who is to blame. But I do not mince words.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Well, so far I have reinstalled approximately half of the store content (thank goodness I have a jumper to knit while I wait). The other half can wait until tomorrow. Then it's onto the CC, then the mods. Might get back in game sometime over the weekend.

Worried that my save games might not work. The ones from before I had mods should be ok, but they're the ones I don't often play (which is why they've been untouched for a month or more).

I have base copies of all my families, but may have lost my built from scratch pioneer town, three updated custom towns, which took a week each to get set up right, a set of triplets, and the nice man my single mum had married.

Words cannot express how much I hate Origin at the moment. :evil: :twisted:
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,926 Member
    edited December 2013
    When you are using a computer things can and do go wrong. The worst that might happen could be the house being struck by lightening while the computer is plugged in. I've been told that vaporises all the metal in everything that is plugged in. I've been fascinated by that idea ever since I first heard about it.

Back in topic. Keep backups of everything. I have my saves and downloads backed up on another internal drive. And on an external hard drive. And on a USB stick. Those backups have been very useful in the past.

Consider anything not backed up externally to be temporary. And the backups may not be preserved indefinitely.

I hope you get it all sorted out soon. I know what it is like to download and reinstall everything. Not pleasant. I hope you are making great progress on the jumper.

• Options
    kateoverendkateoverend Posts: 7,985 Member
    edited December 2013
    DCExplorer wrote:
    You could restore your computer to a restore point before you installed the EP and Stuff pack. Here's a link that explains how:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_4436099_computer-earlier-date-restore-point.html#page=0

Once you have restored it, you could re-install your stuff pack how LadyLaFleur suggested.
    This :)
    I had the exact same issue when ITF was released, customer support were no help[ :( :shock: ] a lovely fellow simmer told me about the 'I' button :)
    rnKEhBT.png
  • Options
    kateoverendkateoverend Posts: 7,985 Member
    edited December 2013
    Well, so far I have reinstalled approximately half of the store content (thank goodness I have a jumper to knit while I wait). The other half can wait until tomorrow. Then it's onto the CC, then the mods. Might get back in game sometime over the weekend.

Worried that my save games might not work. The ones from before I had mods should be ok, but they're the ones I don't often play (which is why they've been untouched for a month or more).

I have base copies of all my families, but may have lost my built from scratch pioneer town, three updated custom towns, which took a week each to get set up right, a set of triplets, and the nice man my single mum had married.

Words cannot express how much I hate Origin at the moment. :evil: :twisted:

Hello lovelylisac *huge big hugs* I totally feel your pain and frustration :cry: ...See my above message.
    rnKEhBT.png
  • Options
    obsessisimobsessisim Posts: 208 Member
    edited December 2013

I believe Origin is the worst thing to ever happen to Simmers. I have had an ongoing issue with a game card which their stupid broken system will not allow me to redeem. Not a happy camper I can tell you that. I have a thread about it that has been going on for about a week and the issue has been going on since the first week of November. :evil: However I am happy that the OP got their problem figured out. So nice when people can help each other.
  • Options
    Mev1015Mev1015 Posts: 330 New Member
    edited December 2013
    Mev1015 you are a lifesaver :D

It installs from the downloads dashboard.

33 more pages of store content to do (after dinner).

You may be my new best friend.

Great! glad that worked for you. I had trouble with the Grim's graveyard set. It didn't download the way I always had before. I never saw anything official about using the dashboard to download and install from now on, and just lucky I took a look at it in my effort to get my download. Happy to be your friend too :D
  • Options
    belakissesbelakisses Posts: 250 Member
    edited December 2013
    I had a problem with the store downloads,after I bought a new laptop.Had to install everything in game. Somehow after about a month it fixed itself. :shock: