Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

OK I Admit I Was Wrong: Midnight Hollow is NOT Too Dark

Hi Everyone I just wanted to say I was one of the first to say I wanted the game but wouldn't buy it because it was too dark. I loved the houses and town the design is beautiful. But I just didn't like the dark and gloomy look.

I have been playing the Sims since the very first one and couldn't pass up this town. I listened to all the advice from others and found the solution to my problem. Buy the town and recolor all the property you wish. I was very surprised how much brighter a house was just by removing the dead plants, coloring the grass, and adding new plants and outdoor lights. You can recolor everything you wish about it and still have areas that remain dark and gloomy. I also save every house I redo to the library so I can play them in other towns also.
Don't forget if you decide to try this to save the original town as it is, you wouldn't want to lose it. 'm playing the saved copy that I call Sleepy Hollow.

Do Yourself a Favor and Buy this game you will love it. If you are worried about not loving it then buy the standard version as I said you can still save the things you do like to one of your other world

Comments

• Options
    LisameesimsLisameesims Posts: 1,125 Member
    edited October 2013
    Congratulations, im happy for you. But i still feel since its so very dark, there should have been an normal day time. Or at least have both: one side of the world dark, the other light. It would not have been too much to ask for. I doubt the developer decorated all those homes in the dark!
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    edited October 2013
    Congratulations, im happy for you. But i still feel since its so very dark, there should have been an normal day time. Or at least have both: one side of the world dark, the other light. It would not have been too much to ask for. I doubt the developer decorated all those homes in the dark!
    Try Seasons if you think its to dark winter makes the world look light night and day. :wink:
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    HollownessDevourHollownessDevour Posts: 8,011 Member
    edited October 2013
    I was just doing out door screen shots of sims (usually lighting is terrible when I do and I tend to dress my Sims darker but) MH they actually is amazing lighting, I do think it is the recolors that make this world darker. I even placed my outrageous colored caravans I made for 🐸🐸🐸🐸, I swear they are brightier in MH than 🐸🐸🐸🐸. It be great if MH had one more terrain paint, just a little lighter than current grass but still to match the world and not look out of place :) but it isn't a need, I love this world I am going to play with terrain paint layering but if we get MH terrains this would be much easier ;D

FYI river pebbles paint looks good in this world and is a bit lighter.
  • Options
    susanjdksusanjdk Posts: 133 Member
    edited October 2013
    I would love to have an option to turn off the darkness. I really want to see the downtown buildings. is there a way to lighten their paint? Thank you all for your other tips!
  • Options
    CarpioCarpio Posts: 33 Member
    edited October 2013
    You can recolor or brighten the town by also going into world editor, you can remove all the dead trees around your property which allows you to see you house better. You an recolor other property add grass or plants for color whatever helps you to see and enjoy the game even more.
  • Options
    YellowJaneYellowJane Posts: 6,589 Member
    edited October 2013
    You posted about this before, diodn't you?:) I posted, you may remember. I am glad you weren't dissapointed in the end: you said you thought you were on the thread.
    Good to see you're having fun after all! I am, it;s an awsome world :)
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    edited October 2013
    When you say it's not too dark are you talking about the theme or the lighting?

I love the theme, the townies and the architecture but I am so disappointed with the lighting. I've tried the town on two different computers and done all the computer setting to make the screen lighter and it's just too dark to play.

Eventually I'll resort to mods or recoloring......but honestly when I spend this kind of money on a store download I expect it to be playable right out of the box. I shouldn't have to spend a long time recoloring and editing or tracking down and installing mods just to make it playable.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    Nik24X7Nik24X7 Posts: 7,865 Member
    edited October 2013
    I broke down and installed a lighting mod last Friday. I'm so happy that I did so. I can see the town during daylight hours, which is what it should be. I haven't changed anything else as I like the dark terrain, dark foliage, and dark color scheme for most of the town.
    Origin ID: nik24x7
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Nik24X7 wrote:
    I broke down and installed a lighting mod last Friday. I'm so happy that I did so. I can see the town during daylight hours, which is what it should be. I haven't changed anything else as I like the dark terrain, dark foliage, and dark color scheme for most of the town.
    Isn't the point of this town to be dark and mysterious? So why change it if you knew it was going to be a dark town why even buy it? All you really need to do is look at the sky to see if its day time and the town isn't that dark to begin with during the day.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    edited October 2013
    Isn't the point of this town to be dark and mysterious? So why change it if you knew it was going to be a dark town why even buy it? All you really need to do is look at the sky to see if its day time and the town isn't that dark to begin with during the day.

Because for many of us it's not just dark and mysterious. It's actually too dark to see what we are doing.

I've changed all the computer settings I can and I can barely tell the difference between the side of a building and the ground.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Nik24X7 wrote:
    Different players seem to experience different lighting levels in Midnight Hollow. I think a lot of it might depend on your video card. Anyway, I'm happy with what I've done and that's what matters to me. You're free to play as you see fit, too. By the way, the lighting mod that I installed was specifically created for Midnight Hollow. It's still dark and has the red sunrises and sunsets. It's just brighter during the day so that I can see things. I found a link to it in another thread. Something like Burnt Waffles blog or something along those lines.

Found it. It's the Let Them Eat Burnt Waffles tumblr:

http://brntwaffles.tumblr.com/tagged/lighting-mod

This mod has made Midnight Hollow a lot more enjoyable for me.
  • Options
    SamiKatSamiKat Posts: 3,786 Member
    edited October 2013
    ^^Oh, good. BurntWaffles now has a new mod for MH. I was thinking he would do that soon - must have been late last week. It's still in beta testing. I'll hold off until he releases the final version, but thanks for the link, Nik!^^
  • Options
    HollownessDevourHollownessDevour Posts: 8,011 Member
    edited October 2013
    I do think that this world has a very large range of lighting some very clear (just the terrain, black/gray water and houses are made darker so you think it is the lighting but once you put a house or trees from another world it is just as bright if not brighter unless you get a day with that red effect or a cloudy rainy day).

A cloudy snowing day (so low light day) with snow fall already on the ground:

screenshot_original.jpg

Sims out side on a sunny day no additional lighting (the sims pop out in this world despite being dressed in dark colors):
    screenshot_original.jpg

screenshot_original.jpg

I feel that in other worlds such as MV and DV the sims don't pop as much (my same sim with same skin tone same hair color) sorry for not the best exampled I looked in my media archives:
    screenshot_original.jpg

screenshot_original.jpg

screenshot_original.jpg

This lot in Monet Vista on a sunny day but in the shade cause the house is so massive (but the house is dark to start with anyways and some shots of my midnight hollow is in the shade cause of the mountain anyways so I figure a good starting point):
    screenshot_original.jpg

Lot placed with an adjusted in game blueprint pool in MH before I replaced the trees (tree to me seem just as green as it was in MV but warmer looking cause MV has a different more yellow/orange hue unique to that world, which tends to make my grey buildings look more beige/brown but they are actually gey in the color wheel which MH shows more accurately) and I think my house is lighter than it was in MV:
    screenshot_original.jpg

Now with the green trees removed during a normal day (I don't even know if is was a sunny or over cast day):
    screenshot_original.jpg

A typical night time shot of my back yard with lighting:
    screenshot_original.jpg

A typical night time shot during winter with lighting:
    screenshot_original.jpg

Pre lights on or lights just turned off on a red dusk/dawn days:
    screenshot_original.jpg

screenshot_original.jpg

screenshot_original.jpg

With Snow:
    screenshot_original.jpg

The hardest time I have is the time of day when the lights turn off or haven't turned on yet dusk/dawn on a day with the red effect or cloud/storm/rain type idea when there is no frost/snow on the ground but it is only a for a couple hours usually. And some red effect days or hours of a day even with lights on over rides the out door light effect making it hard to see anything but red/dark red.

I can totally see why some would have annoyance with this but I can also see why it is a color theme/scheme that works too. Personally I love it but I can see why some would prefer lighter or more clear when it comes to lighting and not just brightening up terrain/CASt re-coloring.

I hope this helps for better understanding for both sides of the argument :)
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Nik24X7 wrote:
    Nik24X7 wrote:
    Different players seem to experience different lighting levels in Midnight Hollow. I think a lot of it might depend on your video card. Anyway, I'm happy with what I've done and that's what matters to me. You're free to play as you see fit, too. By the way, the lighting mod that I installed was specifically created for Midnight Hollow. It's still dark and has the red sunrises and sunsets. It's just brighter during the day so that I can see things. I found a link to it in another thread. Something like Burnt Waffles blog or something along those lines.

Found it. It's the Let Them Eat Burnt Waffles tumblr:

http://brntwaffles.tumblr.com/tagged/lighting-mod

This mod has made Midnight Hollow a lot more enjoyable for me.
    I get that but that was how the town was meant to be if you hate it and change it why get it? Its stupid to get a world just to make and sell toys. Considering its almost the same as EP price.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    We'll have to agree to disagree then. I'm glad you enjoy MH as is. I don't regret buying MH at all. Quite the contrary. I find MH to be a nice departure from the other store and EP worlds. It's totally unique.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Nik24X7 wrote:
    We'll have to agree to disagree then. I'm glad you enjoy MH as is. I don't regret buying MH at all. Quite the contrary. I find MH to be a nice departure from the other store and EP worlds. It's totally unique.
    I didn't buy the world it was gifted to me. So maybe I would feel different if I actually had to pay for the gold version of the world. But I love the creepiness of it and the world isn't as dark as you are claiming it is to have a lighting mod in it.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    AlizatinaAlizatina Posts: 2,189 Member
    edited October 2013
    I am legally blind, and most of the time, Midnight Hollow isn't really that bad in the darkness department for me! I mean yeah, certain days/weather patterns, its a tad darker that other town's overcast, but I cannot tell the difference between the light levels sunny days in this world and sunny days in other worlds! Have the people with problems tried re-installing it? I read here that it help, because sometime the lighting file isn't loaded correctly! The sunny days are really beautiful is Midnight Hollow :D
    200.gif
    cFVKsID.png
    “It’s very dangerous,” she said, “falling in love with someone’s flaws.”
  • Options
    AmaraRenaAmaraRena Posts: 6,533 Member
    edited October 2013
    I get that but that was how the town was meant to be if you hate it and change it why get it? Its stupid to get a world just to make and sell toys. Considering its almost the same as EP price.

How "nice" of you to deem anyone who doesn't agree with you "stupid." You're quite the charmer, aren't you? Frankly, I never understand why some people feel the need to come on forums and act incredibly rudely to perfect strangers over things that don't concern them in the slightest. Seems kind of...well... stupid... to me.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    AmaraRena wrote:

How "nice" of you to deem anyone who doesn't agree with you "stupid." You're quite the charmer, aren't you? Frankly, I never understand why some people feel the need to come on forums and act incredibly rudely to perfect strangers over things that don't concern them in the slightest. Seems kind of...well... stupid... to me.
    Amara I think we are getting are wires crossed and I never said anyone on here was stupid I just meant it stupid to buy a world that is almost and EP price for just selling and making toy. If that all you bought it for its not worth it for that price. If I offended you in other post I am sorry. I don't know how dark your game is so I shouldn't be judging. :mrgreen:
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    AmaraRenaAmaraRena Posts: 6,533 Member
    edited October 2013
    AmaraRena wrote:

Amara I think we are getting are wires crossed and I never said anyone on here was stupid I just meant it stupid to buy a world that is almost and EP price for just selling and making toy. If that all you bought it for its not worth it for that price. If I offended you in other post I am sorry. I don't know how dark your game is so I shouldn't be judging. :mrgreen:

You have today restored my faith in humanity. No, really, no sarcasm. And it's not as if I've never typed anything in haste without thinking how it might be taken by others myself. As I've also been part of competitive PvP gaming forums, believe me, you've just reminded me of why I love the Simming community so much. :) Thank you for your thoughtfulness. As my grandfather would have said, you're a good egg. ;)
  • Options
    SelahFreeAtLastSelahFreeAtLast Posts: 5,102 Member
    edited October 2013
    The world was really dark for me. I used the world editor thing and removed tons of trees and then removed trees on all of the lots. I could see everything just fine then.

After I did all that work I noticed in options that I had my lighting and shadows set to the lowest setting. I changed that to high, started with a new MH and can see just fine.

I know that is not the solution for everyone because most people play with that on high anyway. I just know that is what worked for me.

ID selahfreeatlast @deema316 on twitter
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    AmaraRena wrote:
    AmaraRena wrote:

You have today restored my faith in humanity. No, really, no sarcasm. And it's not as if I've never typed anything in haste without thinking how it might be taken by others myself. As I've also been part of competitive PvP gaming forums, believe me, you've just reminded me of why I love the Simming community so much. :) Thank you for your thoughtfulness. As my grandfather would have said, you're a good egg. ;)
    I am glad :) We are alot a like thats probably we both bump heads in here alot. :lol:
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    PamhamletPamhamlet Posts: 5,556 Member
    edited October 2013
    ...I love the creepiness of it and the world isn't as dark as you are claiming it is to have a lighting mod in it.

Your eyes are not my eyes. Not everyone sees the same. I'm older, and I don't see well in the dark anymore. I have poor depth perception in dim light, so I never drive at night (yes I wear glasses, but they still don't help much in the dark).

Nevertheless, why should I miss out on a Sim world simply because it looks dark to me, when a simple lighting mod has now made it possible for me to fully enjoy the town and finally see all its beauty? I didn't buy Midnight Hollow just because of the toy maker machine. MH has tons of fantastic build/buy objects and stylish houses, community lots, and rabbit holes that I can also save and use in any other world, not to mention new clothing and hairs that I love. MH is stuffed full of good things!

Really, what difference does it make what people choose to spend their money on if it makes them happy? There are many players who completely revamp worlds like Sunset Valley and Hidden Springs, taking out buildings and lots and rearranging the town completely, including annihilating the residents and repopulating with their own CAS Sims, completely contrary to the backstory that was in place.

Should these players not do this? Because it changes how the Sims Team made the world? Should people not spend their money on these worlds if they know they are only going to rearrange things? On the contrary, these players are happy and enjoy those towns much better than before. They have made those worlds their "own" so to speak. Many go through whole towns doing makeovers to every single Sim, changing hairs, clothing, traits, even facial structure in CAS, to suit their own styles. How is this any different from me adding a lighting mod to a town I would not otherwise enjoy---but now I can?

This is a sandbox game, made to be played according to our own whims and desires. Who says there is only one right way to play Sims, or else forget it and don't spend your money? Why can't people change something in their games to suit their own tastes? What is the big deal? Overall, there's really no reason to be concerned with how other people like to play their games or spend their money. :wink:
  • Options
    kymber13kymber13 Posts: 274 Member
    edited October 2013
    Nik24X7 wrote:

Me too - it was so dark before that it was unplayable. The lighting mod separates out the shadows so I can see the architectural details now. I love a dark and creepy town, and I intend to keep it that way, but the BurntWaffles lighting mod gave me exactly the right amount of contrast to make playing MH enjoyable. :D
  • Options
    CarpioCarpio Posts: 33 Member
    edited October 2013
    Your eyes are not my eyes. Not everyone sees the same. I'm older, and I don't see well in the dark anymore. I have poor depth perception in dim light, so I never drive at night (yes I wear glasses, but they still don't help much in the dark).

Nevertheless, why should I miss out on a Sim world simply because it looks dark to me, when a simple lighting mod has now made it possible for me to fully enjoy the town and finally see all its beauty? I didn't buy Midnight Hollow just because of the toy maker machine. MH has tons of fantastic build/buy objects and stylish houses, community lots, and rabbit holes that I can also save and use in any other world, not to mention new clothing and hairs that I love. MH is stuffed full of good things!

Really, what difference does it make what people choose to spend their money on if it makes them happy? There are many players who completely revamp worlds like Sunset Valley and Hidden Springs, taking out buildings and lots and rearranging the town completely, including annihilating the residents and repopulating with their own CAS Sims, completely contrary to the backstory that was in place.

Should these players not do this? Because it changes how the Sims Team made the world? Should people not spend their money on these worlds if they know they are only going to rearrange things? On the contrary, these players are happy and enjoy those towns much better than before. They have made those worlds their "own" so to speak. Many go through whole towns doing makeovers to every single Sim, changing hairs, clothing, traits, even facial structure in CAS, to suit their own styles. How is this any different from me adding a lighting mod to a town I would not otherwise enjoy---but now I can?

I'm in total agreement Pam. I have attempted to play the game as it was because it really is pretty. But it was just to hard to see so I would tire of it quickly. I have created a town in Dragon Valley where I have moved all the houses and rabbit holes I wanted to there they fit well with that town also.
    As far as buying the game for the ability to have a toy store and make toys: First I didn't buy the toy maker and up to this point have no interest in making toys. I think that those people who are upset because we are not playing the game only as they would should stop and think that hey! it's really great that the game is so versatile that its possible for all of us to get enjoyment from it. Isn't that what we all play the Sims games for? Let's just encourage each other to have fun with this and show everyone that it is a great game.