Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Meridian Reef DOWNLOAD LINKS ON PAGES 2 (.package) & 3 (S3Pack*

Comments

• Options
    Mahogany_RoseMahogany_Rose Posts: 729 Member
    edited September 2013
    No new replies means no major issues then right? Thanks to all who downloaded and hopefully I'll have it up on the exchange next week. I've actually been having too much fun playing this world this weekend instead of trying to figure out how to get it into .sims3pack form. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    wildbutterflywildbutterfly Posts: 23 Member
    edited September 2013
    wow this world looks amazing so cant wait to play keep it up this is so awesome
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited September 2013
    Mahogany Rose, just so you know I did not test your world because I won't use package files on my pc since they started creating problems with the new coding in Seasons because I test so many worlds I do not want to get those problems again - just in case you were thinking I had installed and tested this. I had planned to until you mentioned your world was in the package format. I will not under any circumstances install any package format world into my game -

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    owenfitzowenfitz Posts: 9 New Member
    edited September 2013
    Sorry about the lack of reply, i went out of town for a couple days. I do not see the custom water, do i need something installed for that? And i haven't actually gotten around to diving yet. I will tell you when i do. :D
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I have been playing this world for about 6 hours now and its so beautiful. The water is amazing I totally love it. I have had no problems. Thank you so much.

ok after i wrote this the game crashed which isnt that bad but when i loaded back in there wasnt a save file it could just be me just saying.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Wild butterfly - actually exactly what you just had - first the crash and then no save file is what the new coding did that make it impossible to use package world files now.

On top of it - it seems to leave a problem in the game files and the only way to fix your files is a complete uninstall/reinstall of all the games. When it happened to me and why I will no longer use package world files - I did first try a reset of the game - but it didn't help I had nothing but trouble with my game. Keep in mind that was saying a lot because I have not had any problems very much with sims 3 since it came out and I have a high end mach - rebuilt ever 18 months for me - so it is always like a new machine. We finally figured out it was the new world coding added to the base game for seasons if you use a package world. We learned this because at the time CAW was not allowing people to export their world properly to the exchange so people were just sharing the world file through media fire or something - but most of the time even if it doesn't suddenly crash it won't allow you to go back to a save file even if it creates one - they will be greyed out.

EA said we are not supposed to put anything in the games files anyway and that we should not be using package files in the game files. That all our game stuff needs to install only via my documents. So when I saw she had world files I knew better. But no what you had is typical and most likely will need you to do a complete uninstall / reinstall. I tried just removing the files - and a number of other things and nothing helped. I was furious - because 3 weeks later I had been told it was okay and silly enough to listen and try it again. It wasn't okay and I had to do the same thing over. As it takes me 3 days to do a complete uninstall/reinstall - I own every bit of sims 3 stuff made - all eps and sps and the whole store and all the free stuff - but yeah I have learned. I see package file and know better now.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    edited September 2013
    thank you for the heads up writin reg i way dont want to uninstall and reinstall everything what exactly happens to the game? like more lag or crashes or something? cause like u i have all the eps an most of the sps so that would majorly suck an cause most of them are origin downloads like u its going to take about 3 days. i do have a decent machine but yea if i have to do it again i will i guess. sucks so bad but it is a nice world but now i will wait for the simspack file.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Well what happened to me was even playing worlds I had been playing after having that happen to me got freezing, sometimes it would come out of it for a while, but eventually it would freeze and it took task manager to get me out of it. This did not used to happen using world package files - and I had no warning and did not think twice about doing it that way as I had plenty of times previously - but since the second patch after Seasons came out - the one that fixed it so cars and sims showed weather related action - like seeing sims breath when they talked and the way cars will have exhaust and kick up rain - well this was done in the programming which made any thing we try to add to the game bin files a problem now - and if you have to use task manager to shut down the game every time you do files get messed up. Task manager even tells you that - but if the game has froze - it is technically crashed - and there is no other way to get out of it.

All I can suggest is try playing a world you were playing before you used this package file and see if it plays the same. If it doesn't then you will need the reinstall because files will be missing or damaged and it is the only way to get the files back into the game. It Is why a factory reset won't work as that generally takes one back to the game when it was first installed but even that cannot put back the fixed or undamaged files.

So I see a world needing package files, I am not doing that again no matter how beautiful the world is - it is not worth it.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    edited September 2013
    thank you so so much for the information writin reg. its so nice of you to take time out. i will way do what u suggested an see how i go. fingers crossed for sure cause i have so much cc an **** that would suck so bad. but thank you so so much u have saved me alot of googleing.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    No problem - but I had planned to test this one as soon as I got some time - and then saw the world had a package file. it is how I knew there was a problem and when it happened because I test a lot of worlds for creators - I have learned when ever EA updates a patch be careful what you do that is not part of the recommended way to play the game - especially when they do recoding like that. Just figured I ought to warn people seeing I learned the hard way and you had the perfect symthom of the first indication of that problem.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    edited October 2013
    So! I finally have this world up for download in sims3pack format on the exchange. I'm not sure if the water and sky color transferred over properly and if not, I'll attempt it again in the near future. Thanks to all who downloaded it in package form and tested it, I really do appreciate it. You can download it here from the exchange.

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=7724038
  • Options
    t4dbirdst4dbirds Posts: 265 Member
    edited October 2013
    Beautiful world. Looks like what I was looking for! Off to download!
  • Options
    Dglbr1969Dglbr1969 Posts: 854 Member
    edited October 2013
    Just wanted to congratulate you on this world it looks beautiful, but haven't seen many reports on testing etc unless there has been another thread. Wanted to know whether you have included all spawners across the all the EP's? and if I don't have Monte Vista, will the game generate another lighthouse? or will I be missing too much stuff to download?

Anyway regardless, you are very talented, your world is gorgeous :)
    2zin9xt.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    JessicaakJessicaak Posts: 22 New Member
    edited October 2013
    There might be an obvious answer to my question, but how do I unlock the uncharted islands? Are they the same as in Isla Paradiso? I've sat underwater with my Mermaid bestfriend for about 36 hours now, and she hasn't shown me the Mermaid's Secret, so I'm assuming there is no such thing here :P.. Thanks if anyone can help me out :)

Oh and great job on the world. It's very beautiful. My only "complaint" is having to put more houses up myself ;P. But that isn't much of a complaint :)
  • Options
    RAE2786RAE2786 Posts: 683 New Member
    edited October 2013
    Writin_Reg wrote:
    Wild butterfly - actually exactly what you just had - first the crash and then no save file is what the new coding did that make it impossible to use package world files now.

On top of it - it seems to leave a problem in the game files and the only way to fix your files is a complete uninstall/reinstall of all the games. When it happened to me and why I will no longer use package world files - I did first try a reset of the game - but it didn't help I had nothing but trouble with my game. Keep in mind that was saying a lot because I have not had any problems very much with sims 3 since it came out and I have a high end mach - rebuilt ever 18 months for me - so it is always like a new machine. We finally figured out it was the new world coding added to the base game for seasons if you use a package world. We learned this because at the time CAW was not allowing people to export their world properly to the exchange so people were just sharing the world file through media fire or something - but most of the time even if it doesn't suddenly crash it won't allow you to go back to a save file even if it creates one - they will be greyed out.

EA said we are not supposed to put anything in the games files anyway and that we should not be using package files in the game files. That all our game stuff needs to install only via my documents. So when I saw she had world files I knew better. But no what you had is typical and most likely will need you to do a complete uninstall / reinstall. I tried just removing the files - and a number of other things and nothing helped. I was furious - because 3 weeks later I had been told it was okay and silly enough to listen and try it again. It wasn't okay and I had to do the same thing over. As it takes me 3 days to do a complete uninstall/reinstall - I own every bit of sims 3 stuff made - all eps and sps and the whole store and all the free stuff - but yeah I have learned. I see package file and know better now.

This is quite interesting. I always install custom and EA store worlds in the base game file (where Sunset Valley is) by re-naming .package to .world and I extract and place the stbls in my Mods folder in My Documents, my game is fully patched btw. I have experienced the greyed out save once after I re-installed everything and what usually fixes that is creating a new save game and re-placing the .nhd save game in the new folder with the old one. I guess I'll have to keep a look out for other issues now, so far I haven't really experienced any.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    RAE2786

Like I said it used to work well - many of us installed it that way - but recoding is making it troublesome. It has not been that long - like I said it was one of the patches after Seasons that some of us that "always did it this way" started having problems. First we could just reset the Sims 3 folder and that fixed the issue for a while, but since subsequent patches even resetting the Sims 3 folder was not fixing the problem. It took a reinstall of the base game and all your store content to fix the files - and I do mean that was really recent. So recent in fact I was testing the first beta file of Beach City when I found out a reset of the Sims 3 folder did not fix it.

So after having to go through redownloading every single thing and then seeing several other simmers go through the exact thing, we finally figured out something we had always done before was no longer a good idea when you own all the eps, sps, and the whole store. But to each their own. I would not have brought it up had it not been for the fact the simmer I posted to had the first sign we all noticed of trouble with that method. But I learned in my research of this issue that putting things directly into the game files has always been an issue eventually in the game. I don't know if you recall back in the early days of sims 3 that in order to use CC and mods we had to put a framework into the game files. Worked great for a while - but subsequent patches and eps, it started creating problems - so EA gave us a way to add the mod folder to our my document files. We also used to put "overrides" in the main files folders which worked good for a while but recoding changed that so we came up with a way to put over rides in the mod folder.

It is the way things go with pc game which are constantly rewritten and recoded. What was good before can easily turn bad tomorrow and this turning started after I believe the recoding that was done in Seasons for cars and outerwear. As some saw signs of problems that had all their world installed that way - way back then. Which is really not that long ago - then more saw problems after IP came out - I was one of this group. Like you I disagreed with the earlier posters with the first problems - because like you I said I had always done that with certain worlds - and I was being all smug in myself thinking I knew better. Well I found out I wasn't as smart as I thought when I was testing a world that was actually installed the normal way and my game basically just went to pieces. It was a well made world by one of the best creators and it came out just days after IP. Come to find out it weasn't the world. Over in the troubleshooting bug thread for IP I reported problem similar I was having with IP and had even already reset my folders - but when I did that I had just reinstalled all the ea worlds and store worlds - all the normal way with the launcher and into my documents. Spent 3 days redownloading and reinstalling - just to have the same exact thing happen even in IP. So Crinrict suggested I uninstall/reinstall everything. And then once that was done to reset the folder yet again. So even though I mentally said it all didn't make sense I know how weird this game can be sometimes - so I listened and very begrudgedly mind you - did it as she said - as just a reinstall or just a reset no longer seemed to be enough - had to do both - with reinstall first, then a reset and to make sure absolutely NOTHING was put into the game files. I could not even use my fps limiter in the game files anymore - another thing I had done every since there was one - but now my game runs flawlessly - and it is a fact using anything directly added to the game files is a problem - that was not a problem ever before - it is now.

Might I add the game has been perfect since and plays with absolutely zero issues now.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    YellowJaneYellowJane Posts: 6,589 Member
    edited October 2013
    Your world looks beautiful!:) Thanks for sharing the pics with us :mrgreen:
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone, glad it seems to be working as planned.

@Dglbr1969 yes it includes all spawners, one of each in the world itself, a few on some of the lots, but the game usually generates any that might be missing. Monte Vista doesn't add a whole lot to this world other than the food carts that are outside the grocery store and I think the lighthouse. I'm not sure if the game will replace it with the default lighthouse or not? Please let me know if so.

@Jessicaak Sorry about that, guess I could've added more. I guess I assume everyone is as OCD as I am and likes to customize everything down to the last detail. :mrgreen:

Everyone else, thanks a lot for downloading!
  • Options
    LizziguinLizziguin Posts: 1,126 Member
    edited March 2014
    So is it normal for the ports to look like this? http://i.imgur.com/Ac5jnm5.png Trying out the world for the first time. Overall it looks great except for those ports.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    bump
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Yeah, I finally downloaded this world myself, and my ports are the same. I guess MR forgot to build the actual ports that lead to the houseboats, there are no piers etc. Beautiful world, but will have to rebuild each port and also put in a whole lot of houses so the world can actually be populated properly. Haven't played at all yet, a bit of work to do first
    2zin9xt.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I didn't think about redoing the ports. Although I've never built ports before so I don't really know what I'm doing, but I could watch a youtube video on it. I'm also going to move in a lot of the Island Paradise families into this world.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I had to come back here, simply because I know I sounded short and terse and probably a little annoyed before (have downloaded lots of worlds that are simply a problem). BUT ..... a huge but here ....

This world is truly amazing, honestly you have done a stunning job on it, the more I look around, the more I am amazed. The detail in the lots, your dive lots, all wonderful and had to come back here and comment that despite a few problems, it has been truly worth it. Thank you Mahogany Rose, for the best looking world I have seen in quite some time.

If you and anyone wants to try and fix these little things, it really is worth it and I will note what I have found to date.

* There was something wrong with the Festival Grounds, every time my sim picked a wildflower, i would get a few hundred errors (with a mod I use, otherwise I would probably never know) and I fixed this by bulldozing the lot, then go into build mode, delete all spawners, then replace with the festival grounds from the bin (Bridgeport Acres I think) plop down without rotating the lot. Rotating the lot does duplicate the spawners, this prob has been known about for a while. This has since fixed the problem.

* Rebuilt all the ports, there are some tutorials Lizziguin, they can be as detailed or as basic as you like, just make sure you start your pier from the water. Some of the remaining houseboats you will have to get rid of using testingcheatsenabled true and deleting them just make sure to add ganglplanks to them all otherwise your houseboats won't get there.

* There is a skewed surface shark spawner in the inlet dive lot (the first one you can go to I can't remember the name) I have tried to delete but it won't let me. I think it may be in the CAW world file and not on the lot, and also there is a visible sand line from map view in this lot, both these things I can't do anything about, but I think it stems from this skewed spawner. Mahogany Rose is the only person to be able to fix this.

* There is another dive lot (Buchaneers Trench) which my sim just floats above the water when snorkeling there (I haven't dived there yet so don't know whether this a going to be a problem or not) it was no biggie to me, I will decide whether I need to bulldoze when I get down there to see what's there (whether I need things from there for any challenges in the game)

They are the things I have found so far..... but I am loving this world and will report back in as I find things

Great job Mahogany Rose, with a few fixes I bet this world could feature
    2zin9xt.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,091 Member
    edited March 2014
    This is a really lovely world, but like others, I wish there were more homes to populate the world.I really hate building(not a builder) so I prefer ready to play worlds, also not sure on how to fix the ports.But the landscaping and city is stunning!
  • Options
    stickykissesstickykisses Posts: 2,039 Member
    edited July 2014
    Interesting and helpful comments everyone, especially Writin Reg. Anyway, this one is on my list of worlds to explore, thank you SO MUCH Mahogany_Rose, it looks absolutely spectacular!! :D

A question for you Mahogany_Rose if you have time. What lighting did you use for the world? The sky is hands down the prettiest I've seen by far, but maybe it has something to do with the color of the water etc...?