Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is it time to hand over The Sims franchise?

In light of all the personal feelings i'm dealing with regarding The Sims 4 i had a burning question/curiosity...

Does anyone else think it'd be interesting for EA to hand over The Sims franchise to someone else?

A few companies have taken to sending their games to other developers or teams to create spin offs or new games with the titles(Only one i can think of off the bat is Bethesda handing over The Elder Scrolls to Zenimax to create The Elder Scrolls Online), so i was pondering what The Sims could gain if it went to a new studio.

Other then possible new features, we would probably stand to gain the following :

* A More Mature Game - Depending on the studio sent to, we could possibly see the boundaries truly being pushed for the Teen rating, actual accidental deaths, interactions between the sims, random acts/events such as car crashes, more weather anomalies like tornadoes, snow storms, destroyed towns, rebuilding buildings, shopping experiences, etc.

* A New Graphic Style - Maybe we'd actually get sims that look like the concept art images created for clothing & such :
arteconceitual-showtime2.jpg
sims3-showtime-057.jpg
sims_3_showtime_female_uber_unlock_by_jace_wallace-d54gs6a.jpg
Just because itd be handed off doesnt mean theyd use extreme graphics, but other studios have other ideas, and they could see The Sims in a way that would be extremely interesting.

* New Expansion Packs & Content - New team means new ideas

This is just a few things i was thinking about, but overall i'm just tired of feeling like the game is going downhill :( Or that i'm outgrowing the game as a whole and wont be able to enjoy it for much longer. I've already given up on TS3, i'm halfway there for TS4 but still hopeful.

I think it'd be really great if we got a completely new spin on The Sims, or at least a game that's made for the mature teens & adults that resembles The Sims.

Comments

• Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    edited October 2013
    I don't think another gaming studio could do as good a job as EA in the sims. Think of it they would have to start from scratch. If EA sold the sims 4 today it maybe 5 more years before it was released.

I doubt another gaming studio could do a sims game like EA does.
  • Options
    LadySauceyLadySaucey Posts: 117 New Member
    edited October 2013
    I don't think another gaming studio could do as good a job as EA in the sims. Think of it they would have to start from scratch. If EA sold the sims 4 today it maybe 5 more years before it was released.

I doubt another gaming studio could do a sims game like EA does.

Oh no, i don't mean hand it over right now when they're close to being done lol I'm more thinking of if another studio could make a new version of The Sims. Something more diverse, and fresh, and mature. Something as an alternative to The Sims or a more advanced version of The Sims where people who don't care for the cartoony, overly exaggerated, cheesy content that comes with it now.
  • Options
    GlamSugarGlamSugar Posts: 103
    edited October 2013
    The last picture is too adorable.

I wouldn't mind them handing the idea off to another company at all, and I like your ideas. I'd love a Sims game with themes similar to those found in Skyrim and Fallout. But maybe that's just me. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    LadySauceyLadySaucey Posts: 117 New Member
    edited October 2013
    GlamSugar wrote:

I wouldn't mind them handing the idea off to another company at all, and I like your ideas. I'd love a Sims game with themes similar to those found in Skyrim and Fallout. But maybe that's just me. :mrgreen:

Same here :D i absolutely love Skyrim & i think a more mature Sims game leaning towards the features they have would be awesome. Of course id want to keep the family aspects and such of the game, but it'd just be so great to be able to get some new content into The Sims.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    edited October 2013
    TS4 sims could probably look like that if they got away from that hair-that's-not-hair look, added more resolution to the body meshes, improved the skin textures, and dumped the extreme cartoonish facial expressions.

I wish a capable competitor would jump in and make the game you are conceptualizing. Even if we stayed with EA and the Sims, we would probably get features that really sweat the details because there would be competition driving EA. CASt wouldn't be something to throw away because they can, but be a valued feature that would keep their customers from going to the other side.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    GlamSugarGlamSugar Posts: 103
    edited October 2013
    LadySaucey wrote:
    GlamSugar wrote:

Same here :D i absolutely love Skyrim & i think a more mature Sims game leaning towards the features they have would be awesome. Of course id want to keep the family aspects and such of the game, but it'd just be so great to be able to get some new content into The Sims.

When they added Hearthfire I was so excited. It made the game more Simslike. Saints Row did a few things like that, too, and I just loved it. I can't think of a game I'd like more than if those games were turned into a Sims environment with control and customization to that extent. I'd even preorder it, no questions asked.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    edited October 2013
    Yea I guess I could go for that. I'd buy both the sims 4 game and the competitors game as well. The only issue is harddrive space would fill up quicker when buying two different kind of sim games and eps.
  • Options
    rjdreamer53rjdreamer53 Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited October 2013
    Sounds very interesting , Very Interesting! We need competition, then maybe we could get a great game from , Someone!

I am not a typical gamer, I have played some different games , but , the one that I always come back to is the Sims, I sure hope "EA" , doesn't mess this game up. I will not know which game to run to for entertainment.
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited October 2013
    If wishes were horses, then beggars would ride.

In other words, it's never going to happen, so don't bother wasting your time wishing it would. If you're so determined that the Sims 4 sucks without even so much as giving it the benefit of the doubt, then don't buy it. It's that simple.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    Callum9432Callum9432 Posts: 6,462 Member
    edited October 2013
    No. Another company making their own, more realistic game, I couldn't care less about, but The Sims has never meant to be more mature or realistic. It's supposed to be quirky, silly and cartoony.

I honestly hope that I never see graphics like those under The Sims logo, because then it would no longer be The Sims. The game would have been changed beyond all recognition.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited October 2013
    I rather see sims series in different formats because duplicating the pattern for each iteration gets boring. Sometimes changing or tweaking the formula of a series works to give it a new burst of life. I do not see Sims series going further than Sims 4 and Sims 5 is pushing it. I rather a series to end gracefully than just a quick money grab or even put it on ice for awhile until some fresh ideas come about.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    LisameesimsLisameesims Posts: 1,125 Member
    edited October 2013
    EA doesn't need to "hand it over" to another company in order for other game developers to make clones of the game. All RPG's & mmorph's are clones and we have a wide variety of play styles to choose from. But sadly, no other game company has come close to making a life-sim game as good as the sims series, so there is no competition at all. No competition means continually rising cost with less content/less new ideas.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited October 2013
    No other company makes a 'Sims' game in the way we know a Sims' game because EA starts up the law suits..think Zygna..and they inturn sued EA..and SS was taken down..

What EA does is obtain other game companies and start implementing what they had to offer in their own games into the Sims series..think PopCap Plants vs Zombies..viola pea shooter/zombie in TS3..

Again think PopCap known for successful online games..aka..Sim Social is conceived after obtaining PopCap..

Other companines are purchased that are heavily into mobile...aka think TS4..cross platform game for mobile, too...after obtaining mobile developers. And taking surveys if we would like a bunch of 'mobile' featurs for TS4.

I'm not saying that's a bad business model..but seems everytime some other game is getting a lot of the pie, EA swallows them up and starts implementing everything those developers do..into The Sims..go figure.

Where as most fans (o.k. a lot of us) would prefer if EA stopped doing that and stayed 'true' to the premise of the game instead of changing and adding every feature from every game developer out there (which they eventually obtain)..to mesh into one big huge mutant Sim game.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    bjorn979bjorn979 Posts: 593 Member
    edited October 2013
    I would be pleased if the only change were producing sims and build/buys that are much more realistic. The aspect of the sims that has always disappointed me is the cartoonish nature of the sims themselves and their clothes and houses and furnishings. Now if the sims were created to look like the characters in, for example, Grand Theft Auto, I'd be anxious to buy each and every expansion pack, etc., offered.
    33ba886a-039e-4500-8fa0-a9e7635368d4.png
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Cinebar wrote:
    No other company makes a 'Sims' game in the way we know a Sims' game because EA starts up the law suits..think Zygna..and they inturn sued EA..and SS was taken down..

What EA does is obtain other game companies and start implementing what they had to offer in their own games into the Sims series..think PopCap Plants vs Zombies..viola pea shooter/zombie in TS3..

Again think PopCap known for successful online games..aka..Sim Social is conceived after obtaining PopCap..

Other companines are purchased that are heavily into mobile...aka think TS4..cross platform game for mobile, too...after obtaining mobile developers. And taking surveys if we would like a bunch of 'mobile' featurs for TS4.

I'm not saying that's a bad business model..but seems everytime some other game is getting a lot of the pie, EA swallows them up and starts implementing everything those developers do..into The Sims..go figure.

Where as most fans (o.k. a lot of us) would prefer if EA stopped doing that and stayed 'true' to the premise of the game instead of changing and adding every feature from every game developer out there (which they eventually obtain)..to mesh into one big huge mutant Sim game.

Genres of rpg's, strategy, mmorph's, adventure, etc... have always had very good clones made. But Life-Sim games have not had any good clones close to be as good as the sims series. EA does not have a patent on the genre of "Life-simulation games". But i still don't know why other game companys do not create any excellent Life-Simulation games.

EA also created Sims Social, but was a poor version of The Sims online experience...rather than a new and improved version.

edited October 2013
    Another company would try to put their own spin on the game and ultimately miss what is important about the game.

For example "More mature gameplay" is exactly the wrong direction and isn't a "pro" it is a big "Con"

There is a reason why The Sims is the only survivor of its subsubsub genre even though there have been many who have jumped up to claim it.
  • Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    edited October 2013
    I like your idea. What they have done with sims 4 was not what I was hoping for. A new more mature sims would be great. Why does it have to stay a kiddie teen game? They could keep this version for them, and have this new version for adults.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Neonivek wrote:
    Another company would try to put their own spin on the game and ultimately miss what is important about the game.

For example "More mature gameplay" is exactly the wrong direction and isn't a "pro" it is a big "Con"

There is a reason why The Sims is the only survivor of its subsubsub genre even though there have been many who have jumped up to claim it.

Its a very simple formula: good graphics, mixed with what we currently love about the sims series...then add new ideas/content/animations/themes etc.. All other game developers have to do is read the forums to see what the current gamers love and hate.

Another game developer might put a new exciting spin on the game. Or maybe add competition so that more new and exciting content is added to keep the game the most popular :)
  • Options
    NeonivekNeonivek Posts: 1,373 Member
    edited October 2013
    Its a very simple formula: good graphics

Apparently not given you messed up the formula immediately.

"Good graphics" was never part of the formula... and if you a fan of the series cannot get the formula right, then how will they?
    All other game developers have to do is read the forums to see what the current gamers love and hate.

Look I don't want to paint a lot of them the wrong way... but lets just say a lot of them cannot see the forest through the trees.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    catitude5 wrote:
    I like your idea. What they have done with sims 4 was not what I was hoping for. A new more mature sims would be great. Why does it have to stay a kiddie teen game? They could keep this version for them, and have this new version for adults.

Because the target audience for video games is not adults, just like with music. I think the target audience is young teens/teens? Its sad though, because profit is to be made if other game developers made clones of the Life Simulation games as good as or better then the Sims.

catitude5 wrote:

I agree! I was only 12 when the TS1 base game came out. I've been playing the franchise ever since and it is annoying to see the game become more and more aimed at jellybabies. Worst part is...there are some angry and aggressive soccer moms on the forum who more or less think woohoo should be banned from the world. So..you start to wonder what demographic they are trying to reach out to. :roll: I lol'd when some of them were screaming bloody murder over the new woohoo skill that is supposed to be a thing in TS4 :lol:
    WsYdHZD.jpg

• Options
    AnavastiaAnavastia Posts: 6,515 Member
    edited October 2013
    LadySaucey wrote:
    In light of all the personal feelings i'm dealing with regarding The Sims 4 i had a burning question/curiosity...

Does anyone else think it'd be interesting for EA to hand over The Sims franchise to someone else?

A few companies have taken to sending their games to other developers or teams to create spin offs or new games with the titles(Only one i can think of off the bat is Bethesda handing over The Elder Scrolls to Zenimax to create The Elder Scrolls Online), so i was pondering what The Sims could gain if it went to a new studio.

Other then possible new features, we would probably stand to gain the following :

* A More Mature Game - Depending on the studio sent to, we could possibly see the boundaries truly being pushed for the Teen rating, actual accidental deaths, interactions between the sims, random acts/events such as car crashes, more weather anomalies like tornadoes, snow storms, destroyed towns, rebuilding buildings, shopping experiences, etc.

* A New Graphic Style - Maybe we'd actually get sims that look like the concept art images created for clothing & such :

Just because itd be handed off doesnt mean theyd use extreme graphics, but other studios have other ideas, and they could see The Sims in a way that would be extremely interesting.

* New Expansion Packs & Content - New team means new ideas

This is just a few things i was thinking about, but overall i'm just tired of feeling like the game is going downhill :( Or that i'm outgrowing the game as a whole and wont be able to enjoy it for much longer. I've already given up on TS3, i'm halfway there for TS4 but still hopeful.

I think it'd be really great if we got a completely new spin on The Sims, or at least a game that's made for the mature teens & adults that resembles The Sims.

O.o Bethesda is owned by Zenimax, it can't hand over a game that they already own. Zenimax is co founded by Bethesda since 1999. Let's get that out the way right now.

Maturity of a game is nothing more than in the eyes of the beholder. An example of that is people see the sims 4 version of the game as childish because it looks more cartoony. However, artstyle can't define maturity in a game. Cartoony things can also be for a more mature audience just as much as realism can be for a immature audience.

Sims a game that must offer entertainment value, not realism of life. It is not a realistic game it's a fantasy game with realistic aspects to it. In other words you're not going to find natural disasters of the extreme in this game because what is the entertainment value of watching someones family be killed and their home ripped asunder. That same goes for interactions (im assuming the kind that raise the rating to M). We have modders that do this for players however the sims game has never been one to push the envelope that far. This game has been on the market since the year 2000. 13 years later it's still has gone with zany, wacky behavior for light entertainment.

What I find is the fanbase needs to mature a little and accept sims for what it is, or accept the fact they've probably outgrown the game. Rather than calling on another company to take of a game that still quite bread winner for EA. Not to mention the implications this games about the dev team themselves, I wonder if anyone even thinks how hurtful a suggestion like this becomes to someone who's worked for this company for over 14 years. I've never expected sims to adopt any sort of realism or realistic graphics nor i have ever expected them to move into such a direction. Sims 3 is far from showing that as it looks like a disney pixar movie also cartoony and still holds a great level of unrealistic play in the game. People pimped out their textures and modded the game for it to have more realism or high graphic look, have convinced themselves sims has looked like this to everyone and should move in that direction. However there are many of us who want them to remain in the games element and not copycat other genres on the market. That element is not realism, but a cartoony parody of real life. Not too real not too fantasy somewhere in the middle.

I feel the dev's made a fine choice when it comes to the artstyle of the game, as far as what they're capable of doing we'll have to see, too early to tell with no news on gameplay. I rather they not try to push the Teen Rating because that leaves me not being able to enjoy this game with the young teens in my family. A long with the rest of families who do supervise their kids and their video games. It's actually a select few of parents that let their minors play M rated games. So that destroys a huge fanbase for EA to satisfy a very small group of people who can't accept the game for what it is and who keep trying to push the game into a direction it's never been in to begin with.
  • Options
    FlamingoKicker1FlamingoKicker1 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited October 2013
    Maybe Disney would buy out the Sims. They are buying up everyone else.

*NOTE this is tongue in cheek sarcasm. I wouldn't want Disney actually buying out the Sims. It would be worse than ever.
  • Options
    Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    edited October 2013
    I actually love the idea if EA decided to give a different developer a chance at a spin-off. It would be similar to the Sims as in being a life simulator but different because of the seriousness and more maturity plus new concepts than TS which is goofy, silly and juvenile.

I've outgrown that and am bored. No longer interested to continue TS series. I want to play with real virtual dolls that look like this:

21npir5.jpg

And of course the content/gameplay I'm annoyed its too happy-go-lucky with nothing but sunshine all day and rainbows. Eww...reminds me of Utopia.

I want CONFLICT/HARDSHIP depending on the choices I have my sim make. I want CAUSE & EFFECT for everything that affects whatever in a realistic manner. I want realism, no more superficial gameplay. No more shortcuts by skipping parts of animations instead of animating the whole action(s). I want QUALITY over quantity. I would rather have fixes and put any new content on hold until all game breaking glitches and/or broken features are worked out before moving on. Not let it keep piling up and then years later it may or may not even get addressed.

But that's okay because I stop here with TS3. So I don't care what they won't do. :mrgreen:
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    Callum9432Callum9432 Posts: 6,462 Member
    edited October 2013
    Cinebar wrote:

Genres of rpg's, strategy, mmorph's, adventure, etc... have always had very good clones made. But Life-Sim games have not had any good clones close to be as good as the sims series. EA does not have a patent on the genre of "Life-simulation games". But i still don't know why other game companys do not create any excellent Life-Simulation games.

EA also created Sims Social, but was a poor version of The Sims online experience...rather than a new and improved version.

There's a variety of reasons that no other life simulators have been successful. For a start, as Neonivek explained, so far only one formula has proved itself successful, and that's the quirky and silly formula that EA use. And while EA don't have the "life simulators" patented, they do have The Sims copyrighted, and what their copyright protects is exactly that formula. A video game copyright doesn't protect the idea of the game, but the way in which it is done... which, in this case, is that one successful formula.

Another is the fact that The Sims has been around for nearly 14 years now, it has become an established name, well known as the only major game of it's type, and it is recognised as the best-selling PC video game franchise of all time. It's now simply too late for another game to start; they wouldn't stand a chance.